Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,115 Views)
Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
If this is still a thing I'd like to give it a go!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Kk so Hannah Rose is... Yeah...

Don't get me wrong she isn't a bad character, but her character arc perfectly highlights the 2 biggest flaws with V3.

First things first, she gets introduced 6 days into the game. Now while letting handlers add in characters in the middle of the game doesn't seem like a bad idea on paper, it gives them a pretty awkward start. Like, what did they do that whole time? Avoid people? I mean if that got them to something like day 6 why don't they just keep avoiding people and try to hide out for as long as possible? Why risk your survival all of a sudden by encountering people when avoiding them has worked just fine for the past week? The only real excuse I can see to do that is if somebody decided they were going to go player, and that doesn't happen with Hannah. Which brings us to point two.

Like a few other kids she was involved with the escape plot, yet added nothing to it. Hell her whole character arc was basically her being useless, which isn't a bad thing tbh. Like I honestly liked how every time she did something or found something out it would either be too late to be of importance, or something else would happen to totally undo everything she did. Honestly it was a really cool thing to watch, but she wasn't really apart of the escape plot for long enough for her to have any kind of impact to it. She's just another kid who's apart of the escape plot that really shouldn't be.

Honestly I kind of wish Hannah had been apart of a later version, or even a mini and not V3, because this is really the only version where she just doesn't work. The escape plot and the first six missing days really do hold her back from being as good of a read as she should be. Which is a shame, because as a character I did enjoy her.

I'll take another.

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Did I not ask for another character? If not can I get one?

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Braden Marsh basically did nothing of real importance from beginning to end. I mean sure, he's there when SADD is formed and all, but he doesn't add anything to the situation at hand and is quickly forgotten about by pretty much everybody in the topic before he goes else where. There he runs into some shit in a cave that really doesn't even deserve a mention because he goes inactive right after the fact so that whole topic was totally useless to him.

Anyway he shows up a little while later with a few other inactives and all seems to be going well, except when you consider that they're all now being handled by Dood and then you realize they're all going to die because that's how inactive kills worked back then... For some reason.

Anyway Wade Wilson comes in and smashes Braden in the face with his own morning star because he thought that he and his friends were living skeletons... I wish I was kidding there... Sadly I am not. But yeah they die and Wade goes on his marry way to kill some bitch who bit a dude's dick off, also not kidding about that.

Now would I recommend Braden... Eh not really? He was pretty boring and not really that important. Just a tiny tiny blip on the map that is SOTF. That being said there's nothing stopping tiny blips from being good reads, but if you're looking for a short read I'd recommend going else where, because Braden is not where you should be looking.

Anyway I'll take another please!
Edited by Bowser, Nov 22 2014, 06:17 AM.

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
HANDS OFF BOTH OF YOU HE'S MINE!!!

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Well well well... Looks like it's finally time to review Blood Boy...

Okay I'll start off by saying this. Everybody who joins SOTF needs to read Blood Boy. Not because he's a great character or anything, but because he is the perfect exactly of how NOT to write a player.

First thing's first. His profile would NOT have been accepted in today's standards. Instead of explaining it let me go ahead and post some of the highlights

Spoiler: click to toggle

Oops I posted the whole thing by compleat accident silly me. But really though the whole thing is riddled with issues that would instantly get poor BB denied for pretty much ever by today's standards. I'm not going to go over every single detail as to WHY he wouldn't get accepted because frankly I'd be here all day, but the list goes on and on and on and on and on. I mean anybody here who reads it can tell you that much.

Now onto Blood Boy's plot on the island... He's crazy and kills people in some pretty fucked up ways. Oh I'm sorry I meant "Creative." Not really, but you get my point. I'm not going to post any here, but... Christ it is awful on so many levels that I just can't even begin to understand what the hell went down. But I'll try my best.

It's not that hard to read per-say... Well it kind of is cause it's all pretty poorly written, but it isn't stomach churning. Like I didn't feel disgusted by Blood Boy's actions, I felt more annoyed and frustrated at the events going down. Yes the things that Blood Boy do are awful (This includes, and I can't believe I'm saying this... Raping somebody with their own severed arm) but as a reader I don't feel scared of Blood Boy, just... Bored.

Idk how exactly to describe it, but Blood Boy's kills feel more like cheap attempts at shock value without the substance to back to up and as such he doesn't feel like a major threat to me as a reader. Almost like I know there's no way he's lasting too long without even looking at his thread count. Not only that, but for the most part the people he kills are treated kind of like throw aways, and in a way most of them kind of are except his final kill but that's for a whole other topic. For the most part it feels like their only point is to walk in and get killed by Blood Boy, but the deaths hardly effect him other than people being even more willing to shove a gun in his face. Hell I think the only time one of Blood Boy's kills aren't treated as a throw away is when he's being handled by somebody else. Though in all fairness the guy did die after him and their send off was mostly on the end of their handler, but I'll take what I can get.

I will say though that he did have one of the coolest deaths I've seen in a long time. The area was made a danger zone shortly before Nathan entered the scene and it was suddenly a race against the clock to not only kill him, but escape the danger zone in time. It was really well done and a rather cool end to a character, even if said character didn't quite deserve to go out in such a memorable fashion.

Overall I'd say Blood Boy is worth a read just to show why many handlers aren't fans of the crazy axe murderer trope in players, and why the profile guide lines are the way they are. But if you don't wanna deal with just plain awful writing and a killer that's more frustrating and annoying than interesting and well written than avoid him like the plague. He's easily one of the WORST Sotf characters to have ever of existed and I pray that we never get another like him.

Eh... I really shouldn't say it given how long these normally take me to finish but... Screw it if there's enough left roll me another.
Edited by Bowser, Jan 11 2015, 04:25 AM.

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Yeah might as well roll another. Let's see if we can finish this before the V4 read-a-thon

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
So I finished Warren, but at the moment I'm a bit too busy to do a write up on him so I'll hold off on asking for another kid till later. For now I'll just say that he's not nearly as bad as Blood Boy and leave it at that.

Bowser
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Oh I never actually finished Warren lol rip.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply