Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,141 Views)
NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
Southern motherfuckin' democratic republicans.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Give me one, Persy.
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What the assfuck (I love that word, D/N) did I even just read. Evan's filled with awful - writing, roleplaying, activity (dude went inactive after two posts) and just sucked all around. Even his deathpost via inactivity was super tryhard amusing.

0/10. Would not recommend.

Roll me again.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I love that Dominica is like this tack-on mention in whatever thread she appears in. I had a good time thinking "A new challenger has arrived" whenever she'd pop in. Also, it's really neat to see a young Ciel on the field!

All and all an average to good read. She got bogged down a lot with the 'delayed conversation' that kept happening, and there's all kinds of formatting wizardry that either hurts her or slows her down pretty heavily, but I thought that she found her stride after her sixth or so thread.

The end to the story is... well, incredibly unsatisfying. I didn't really like the whole "hey I'm insane now!" aspect but the entire last thread was so hard to read in between these walls of posts and stuff that my eyes kinda glassed over, honestly. It was mostly fun to see someone who I've admired in V5 in a younger, more fledgling stage of their roleplay ability.

Roll me another cold one, barkeep.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wasn't a big fan of Will, mostly because he shared the majority of his story with another character from the same handler, Christian. Christian and Will are best friends. The reason that I know this is that Oliver takes the time to remind the reader of this whenever he gets a chance. Oliver can write pretty well, and is pretty long winded, but I really felt that he should've split these two guys up at some point.

Big thing I'm starting to notice, too - there are a lot of these monologue, long winded speeches from Oliver's work that kind of force people to sit and listen. I also wasn't a huge fan of Oliver's tendency to group up his kids - at one point he had Will (who I assume was a flagship/favourite) disarm and beat up another of his kids (Victor) who had just murdered someone while yet another of his characters (Christian (who was Will's best friend)) lay on the floor bleeding - and the three all got together in the very next thread too. It's frustrating to me because he had to split the focus between three different perspectives, culminating in all three of them being far weaker.

I think the main thing that would improve Will is subtlety. He explains a lot in his narrative rather than leaving it up to the audience to decipher, and I feel like I'm being hand-held through the read. That all said, I don't hate the character - he had some pretty good moments, like when his best friend Christian (who is his best friend) died, and again when he himself met his demise.

Definitely a cautionary tale about grouping your kids, though.

Roll me another cold one.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Serenity was not someone I appreciated in any sense of the word. She was monologue-y, went on these sudden and overwrought exclamations of wanting to die (blow my head off, Paul!) that seemed super melodramatic and ridiculous. She also was very shallow, in that even her deathpost declared her as a cheerleader and a friend, which leads me to believe her handler didn't really have a good handle on who she was as a person beyond it.

There wasn't a lot of ups, unfortunately. The concept I don't have an issue with - someone just flipping the fuck out - but it was mishandled here.

Toss me another.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Short read!

Ivan was okay. I liked his death, by my man Bobby Jacks, and I'd already read some of Sound and Fury from when I was reading Dominica. My big thing is that Ivan kinda brushed up against Neil sinclair and other SADD associates who were part of bigger stories, rather than have the time to be anything other than what he is.

Hit me with another one, Ekanselttar

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know many of these start off with "X was interesting but", so I'll jump right into the chase - Shameeca was good, a solid character. But she got that way when she was picked up by a handler that wasn't her original. She bumped into two super interesting names on the island that I got a lot of mileage out of and took inspiration from for V5 - Bobby Jacks and Lenny Priestly - and she was part of one of the more interesting things to happen in V3 in my opinion - A hostage situation where she had to reclaim a kid from Lenny's villainous clutches.

The sequence of events is really solid for me if you kind of look past obvious flaws, but rather than recap it I'm going to offer criticsm to a handler who likely will never see this! Shameeca's adoption/switching hands was the best thing that could've happened to her. She went from a fairly no-narrative, lackluster voice kid to one that was swept along in these sequence of events that Lexi did an excellent job of handling. Her story ends with her attempting to end Lenny and failing. On her own, Shameeca wasn't that notable. But with the caveat of her being not Lexi's original work and coupled with her role in two impactful villain's stories, she makes a pretty good showing.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh man, this is excellent. I don't even need to re-read.

I am unashamed in my pure and unadultered love for Bobby Jacks for a few reasons, and I absolutely adore him. He's obviously got a lot of flaws and his arc is nowhere near perfect, but through him you can easily see an eager spirit ready and willing to cash in on their first player in young!Elena. Bobby Jacks is everything the V1-3 players usually were - combatively competent, large, intimidating physically - but with this edge of rationality to his actions and a sympathetic light to his motivations. Bobby in many ways is kind of the prototype first steps to the path of villainy that's treated softer, as opposed to this threatening force.

Obviously he isn't perfect. He's got more than a few contradictory motivations in his story, and his characterization isn't always consistent. His death, too, kind of rubs me the wrong way. But for a handler's first attempt at a player and for someone that inspired my own writing a bunch in V5, you can't really ask for a better core concept.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ooh. Pretty unnotable except for her death, which was pretty interesting. Only two threads and she was an adption (I think) so that's also neat.

Not much to say, here!

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lenny is a very long read, and a very satisfying read. I'd recommend him if you don't mind the browse (he comes across a lot of intriguing people in his narrative) and want to read an actually very fresh and new take on villain morality and what it means to make the game your own in order to justify your playing.

Lenny also has quite possibly the most hard-hitting stinger sentence in all of SOTF. It's pretty wild.

Roll me another.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Josh Goodman took me so long to read because his story is literally written as an NPC - really low on detail and solely as a device to emphasize how smart and clever Blood Boy was.

And he died by blood boy electrocuting his blood.

He was bloodrocuted.

What.

Toss me another one.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Un-Persona
Nov 1 2014, 07:04 PM
Blast: Adam Dodd
Trade ya.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Blastinus
Nov 1 2014, 08:10 PM
NotAFlyingToy
Nov 1 2014, 07:24 PM
Un-Persona
Nov 1 2014, 07:04 PM
Blast: Adam Dodd
Trade ya.
Hmm...yeah, sure. I don't have much of an investment in Adam Dodd anyway. Who do you have?
Kara Holmes!

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You'd be forgiven for looking at Adam Dodd's V3 profile or the fact that he was in two version - and was fairly prominent in both - and thinking to yourself "Well, isn't this kinda silly? Doesn't this effectively shift the metaplot towards being very Dodd focused?" and you'd kind of be right, but only on a very surface level.

Adam Dodd is definitely a misfire - we'll get to that a bit later - but I'm not entirely sure that he's the demon who contributed to V3's metatextual downfall that some would paint him to be. Sure, the fact that he's in two versions is a bit cheese, and yes, it does imply unfortunate things for the meta-plot (kind of makes you look at Danya as vindictive and after him alone as opposed to every character involved having their equal shake) but at its core, Adam Dodd is still a very cool idea for V3. The idea of someone being so fundamentally scarred and changed by the game only to be forced back into it and face it again is a concept that I personally love, and would love to see created to its full potential.

Unfortunately, Dodd doesn't really live up to that.

Adam Dodd's profile is one of self-reference, mentioning multiple times that Adam is a celebrity, he's infamous, and he doesn't really think about the murders he's committed despite having committed twelve of them. This is minorly problematic in the sense that the profile seems to be portraying him as a bitter - yet still fairly good - person, despite the fact that he appears to not have mourned unless in extreme cases and has mostly put everything behind him. PTSD and its handling in the profile, too, are minorly problematic - PTSD doesn't really just go away or is cured. Symptoms of PTSD follow you throughout your whole life, more or less, unless it's a minor case. I don't think surviving a version of SOTF can be described as minor.

Adam as a character has a lot of words to read over, and each is very technically adeptly written, which means that there isn't a lot the audience isn't told about the character. Adam's entire persona is written out for us to read, without a lot of guesswork, and it's mostly focused on the fact that he's a survivor and he desperately doesn't want the game to claim him. In these moments, where Dodd is more focused on the survivability and how it feels to be thrown back into the game, he shines very well. However, these moments are undercut severely with his seeming lack of awareness of his own role in the games. He tells Gabriel Theobaldt that playing to win is dumb, but playing to survive is good and the better call - otherwise "someone like me or that Calvert dude" will come and kill you.

Tell us more about how actively murdering is bad, Adam, when you have 12 kills and Calvert had 10.

Things like this kind of undercut the 'point' of Adam, I guess. It feels like Korazon wrote him to both be a callback to V1's Adam Dodd and a continuation of his story, but there's a pretty massive disconnect between what the words are saying and what the implications are. I had expected Adam to have grown and learned and had his entire personality shifted or at least meaningfully impacted by V1, but what we get instead is a second verse, same as the first type situation where Adam Dodd has all the memories, scars, and experiences of his V1 counterpart but without having been changed or shaped by them. Sure, the text says he does, but he's still a wisecracking, joke-slinging, camera-ranting dude who we're supposed to root for.

In the end, Adam's story ends on a cliffhanger and is to this day incomplete. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I don't hate Adam Dodd. I more or less feel like he was a very big gun to bring into V3, and he was a gun that I feel was mishandled and disappointing. There was a lot of good things that could've been done with him, but there were no risks taken - no boundaries pushed. Instead of doing something wonderful and meaningful with having a winner come back, it feels like it was played very safe - same recipe, same beats hit, same lightning captured in a bottle - and that's a very, very sad thing.

He doesn't serve as a cautionary tale, he isn't something to be hated and scowled at, and he isn't something to hold aloft, either. In the end, he's just disappointing to read.

I'm gonna retire from the Read-A-Thon now, since I've done Lenny, Bobby Jacks, and Adam Dodd. I've fulfilled my service to this thread. ;)

V6
V5
Future

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply