Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,529 Views)
Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
I'm also up for this.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Alex's profile in retrospect reads like he was a premade, intelligent kid who resents his family, hates his classmates and looks down upon those he thinks lacks intelligence. That he didn't last long might have been a blessing in disguise.

Alex's stay in the game is short, only one thread and lasted about three posts before dying in his fourth most of which is a fight between him and Guy Rapide. And these posts don't get us to know anything about Alex, he's mostly panicked and screaming throughout them trying to kill the first person he meets.

At least his death scene was interesting, mostly for the way he went out. Not many deaths where people accidentally commit suicide by ricocheting bullets into themselves. Outside of that it's overwrought with Alex reflecting on how unfair his life is that's supposed to make me feel sad for him, but made me feel apathetic instead.

Overall Alex wasn't that interesting of a character who didn't last long and who I mostly remember for the nature of his death.

Roll me another.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Her profile's alright, it has some hiccups here and there though.

Elizabeth only had one thread in which she debuted and subsequently died in. She didn't do much other than break into the hospital, fall asleep there, Talk to Warren Pace for a bit, before failing to get out of the danger zone.

Her death's not that good, mostly due to her handler going inactive and staff had to kill her.

Conclusion: She was decent, but her death was an anticlimax.

Another please.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Her profile is in the middle for me, good in some places, awful in others

Rebbecca's only thread was ten speed where she encounters Nathaniel Harris who kills her "creatively".

I kept this short because I had problems reading the thread, it made me immensely uncomfortable due to how rape is used in it and how ridiculously sadistic it's done.

Conclusion: I would not recommend at all.

Another please.

(If you wonder how he killed her, Bowser mentions it in his review of him, it's really messed up)

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
His profile is short, but decent and could probably work in V4 or V5 with a few fixes here and there.

Dane had the unfortunate problem of having nearly all his threads being cluttered with people and not doing much despite joining up with SADD and changing handlers.

Dane's death is kinda meh for me as the writing is good, but his last posts consists of songposts and flashbacks.

Conclusion: A mediocre character that faded into the background in nearly every thread he appeared in.

Roll me another.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Profile is short, but decent.

Bill spent most of his threads with Adam Dodd and Izzy Cheung, which results in him being more of a supporting character for those two, which is a role he does pretty well in my opinion.

Bill's death was good, blowing himself up along with a squadron of terrorists is pretty awesome.

Conclusion: Was mostly a mediocre character with a pretty good death.

Another please.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
His profile is okay, nothing terrible, but not that good either.

James lasts two posts in his only thread and all he does is hide, fall asleep, eventually wake up then die.

James's death is told trough the viewpoint of his killer Alexis Machina, mostly due to the original handler going inactive.

Conclusion: He was kinda bad and the death didn't do much to convince me otherwise.

Roll me another.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
The same as with Dane's profile, a few tweaks and it could fit with the newer versions.

Raven 's first thread had him interacting with the Priestly twins which was a pretty interesting thread in my opinion, but afterwards Raven gets in a thread where he gets attacked for no reason by Joseph Cande and chases him off with fork.

In his last thread Raven gets trapped in a cottage by Leo Curtis where he gets a concussion and dies from having his throat slit.

Raven had a very interesting first thread with the Priestly siblings, trying to turn Elisabeth against Lenny, but his other threads are mostly him getting attacked and fighting back.

Conclusion: A mediocre character with a good first thread, but he unfortunately peters out towards the end.

Another please.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Anthony's profile is bad, really bad, sudden italics out of nowhere, his advantages being literally two sentences, the most redeeming thing about it is that it's short.

This is a good example of a bad advantages/disadvantages.

Advantages: Being a good athlete would obviously mean good physical prowess. He's fast and fairly strong.

Disadvantages: The biggest problem Anthony has is his ego. Though he is intelligent academically, he can be rather lacking in common sense. He's the kind of person who would stand up and fight when any sane person would get the hell away. Also, because of his abrasive personality and general assholery, most people would probably prefer to kill him dead just on principle. Another problem would be the injury to his shoulder; though it's practically healed completely, it still can give him trouble if he exerts himself too much.

This is my biggest sticking point with the profile, and it's how it's LIama is just piliing in as many negative traits as he can to justify why Lyn is killing him in that thread.

Anthony has only one thread and lives only for one post, but it's a bad thread in my opinion and it hits a lot of bad points with me.

This is gonna have a lot to do with Lyn as it is Anthony.

1: Bullying used as a justification for killing.

2: Two characters sharing a narrative which weakens them both.

3: LIama killing off Anthony in one post with his flagship(Lyn) to jumpstart her as a killer.

Anthony's death is muddled, not helped at all over the fact he shares a narrative with Lyn and it's very obvious who LIama prefers.

Conclusion: A bad fodder character created solely to jumpstart LIama's flagship.

Another please.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Has a pretty basic wake up scene in sotf, so not much to comment on really, the only problem I had with it was Cyco introducing another one of his characters in the middle of the post.

In the next two threads James get's stoned off his ass, shoots a bunch of imaginary birds in the sky, get's beaten up by Brenden and then by Steve who steals his gun.

Then he meets up with Trish McCarroll, this is where James, in my opinion, starts getting worse as from this thread forward he travels with Trish(and Danni).

This is James's biggest problem because he spend nearly the entirety of his time in V3 as Trish sidekick who spends most of the time in the background while she goes about doing way more interesting stuff than he does.

In fact it's only in his first, second and half of his third thread where he's not practically chained to Trish, hell in fact his death post is Trish's last post before Endgame.

It also doesn't help that James is sporadically posted with and severally of those posts are extremely short.

I don't know if i can actually recommend James as it's more of a recommendation of Trish than anything else, that and the fact that his and her story has a lot of V3 stuff that I hate (OOC notes, a handler having two or more characters in one post, one character chained to another for their entire duration).

One more.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
When I started to read Liam Black the first thing that caught my attention was the handler's sig which had this picture.

Spoiler: click to toggle

This sets the tone for Liam Black's tenure in V3, because Liam is a psycho you see, which the handler's emphasize every time Liam does anything, oh and his profile has him killing his family sans mother and has this line at the end of it.

Seriously, how did this guy get approved?

Liam Black's threads are all full of problems with V3, but his first thread is the absolutte worst offender, with Liam encountering Clive in a fight scene that reminds me more and more of Ichi the killer with Liam cackling about a stapler like it's best ting that could happen to him and Clive dodging bullets by running in circles (not joking about this) which descends into an argument between handlers in the middle of the thread (not joking about this either) and then both Liam and Clive go inactive.

Both show up in Liam's next thread with new handler's where after one post Clive has a sudden change of heart and ditches Liam(smartest thing he's done yet) Liam bitches about ot for a bit then leaves.

Liam enters in the middle of his next thread, joins up with a group consisting of Anna, Lauren, Lulu and Carson ( ^o) ), makes a list of things to do and leaves, nothing much else happens.

The group enters a Lenny thread(YAY!) where Liam proceeds to make the rest of his group hate him by acting like himself, seriously just look at this.

Seriously, what the fuck.

Anyways everyone runs off and Liam runs into Lulu and Anna after they kidnapped Elizabeth.

And then Liam sees that Anna has Wednesday's katana and loses his shit at her(Liam's spent the whole game after learning she's dead hunting for her weapon and obsessing over it, why?, I don't know)

Lulu does the sensible thing and stabs Liam with her scythe.

And then Liam makes a dying speech, despite the fact Lulu just buried a scythe in his chest.

Then he finally dies and all is right with the world.

Liam's story have way too many problems for me to recommend him to others, his death is a bit better, but it's still not that good(Seriously you've been cut by a scythe, how the hell are you still speaking?)

One more.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Early V3 had people like Gabriel Theobaldt, Melina Frost and Nathaniel Harris running around causing general havoc and killing people for little to no reason, which made most of Megami's characters feel like a breath of fresh air.

Why?

Because they are actually normal! I read their profiles and I can actually think I would meet someone like that in high school.

Anyways, on to the critique.

From start to finish of her story, Terrie travels with Brad Kavanagh, she has the same problem as James in that their partners are in foreground doing more interesting stuff while they are stuck in the background being quiet. Unfortunately their threads have some stuff I can't stand (several OOC notes, multiple characters one post) and towards the end her activity starts decreasing to the point she's barely posted with

It's around this time she's adopted by Ciel and she ends up a secondary character to Brad (weird how this kept happening to Megami's V3ers). Not to disservice Ciel, but after the adoption she got worse for me(it doesn't help it hits one of my pet peeves, handler controlling two characters in one post) And then she gets involved in the escape, where the thread basically turns into a clusterfuck, having to search the thread for where the characters are is frustrating to say the least. And we don't find out what happens to Terrie, the wiki says she got shot to death in an ambush, but there is nothing like that in the thread.

She's good before adoption, after adoption becomes more of a secondary character to her detriment.

Next please.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
RemoteControl
Dec 16 2014, 06:14 AM
Seth Crimson
Dec 16 2014, 05:46 AM
And she gets involved in the escape, where the thread basically turns into a clusterfuck, having to search the thread for where the characters where is frustrating to say the least. And then we don't find out what happens to Terrie, the wiki says she got shot to death in an ambush, but there is nothing like that in the thread.
It got mentioned in the Epilogue from Brad's POV.
That makes it worse though as her death isn't even seen from her prespective, making her even more of a secondary character to Brad.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
She starts with a oneshot that establishes her general personality and goals, then she leaves( the thread continues long after Kimmy's gone too).

Her next thread establishes her less than clean traits as she treats Eddie Sullivan horribly (Does everyone have it out for the poor guy? Every character he meets treats him like shit), she then for some reason decides to kill Eddie after he has left the Area, she subsequently runs after him. She spends the next two threads stalking him and working herself up into killing him, and not doing much else( I was more interested in what the other characters were doing as most of Kimmy's posts felt like they were reitarating themselves a lot.). Untill She's scared off by Jimmy Trejo.

Her last thread is a fight scene with Morgan Green that is pretty good(fight scenes are one of the things I will give V3 praise for). Her last post is written by HELP as she had gone inactive by that time.

She is not bad by any means, just suffers from not doing a whole lot till her last thread.

Next please.

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Shows a lot of early SOTF isms, for example his profile is written in a weird kind of third person like it's an interview and his hobbies and interests is written in a long paragraph when it could have been done in a few sentences.

His first thread has him start in a pretty crowded building with his friends Kallie and Guy who both bail after KenBurton Larris makes everyone paranoid and suspicious at each other. It's around this thread where we notice Darnell's first problem and that is his posts tend to be on the long side to his detriment, as it just seems to be long for the sake of being long without substance to back it up. It also doesn't help that he tends to end up in thread with Handlers who are known for being a bit longwinded in their posts and it can come off as being a bit too much.

In the thread right after, he ends up in a weird fight with Eduardo Trinidad-Villa which is defused when Darnell messes Eduardo leg up and Boxer walks in on the scene which ends up with Laz writing two characters in one til they both exit together and Darnell leaves for the airfield.

In this thread, he ends up accidentally killing Simon Wood by impalement after Simon attacks him thinking he's a player. I didn't really like it as accidental murders feel like a contrived way to give "good" characters a way to get a kill count without outright becoming a player or getting a weird sort of dissonance with their narrative, but it often feels like a cop out and I felt it was this time.

Afterwards in one post Daniel Brent walks in and picks a fight with Darnell and ends up decapitated for it. This one feels very much like handler cannibalism in a way as Brent is killed off to further Darnell's story and is very much like his previous murder, accidental and with a sufficent claim to self defense.

And then Eduardo comes in again and start picking a fight with Darnell, he ends up with a claymore to the chest which ends up as self defense as Eduardo attacks him then Boxer walks in right after and get's in a bit of argument with Darnell before they leave.

This thread was a bit hard to swallow, three self defense murders right after each other is a bit hard to believe and it comes off as giving Darnell a number to his killcount without making him a direct player.

He makes his way to the Jailhouse where meets up with kallie(again) and Keith and lagre amount of drama is made of his murders and then Alice walks in with Guy's head and whole thread kind of erupts (There's a lot of people in this thread and it reads very much like a clusterfuck) they run off after it turns into a danger zone.

He abandons Alice to the squads in this thread and runs off eventually making it to the escape group.

He then makes it to the escape thread where he gets his collar taken off and starts a standoff with Adam Dodd basically accusing him of being the reason the terrorists kidnapped them in the first place, he starts making a speech in the middle of it about Guy and how good friends they were and it kinda contradicts his first thread.

It's established in the first thread that he doesn't really care for Guy Rapide and only hangs out with him because he's friends with Kallie and Keith, and yet in this thread he's suddenly bemoaning the fact he's dead and how horrible he went (he went out in admittedly a very horrible way). I read on the TV Tropes page that Darnell was originally going to survive and that could have been very interesting to see, but that didn't happen. TBH got banned around this time and Darnell was inactive killed alongside Bill Ritch, John Sheppard and Jessica Jones in an explosion that took out the armory and the surrounding area.

Darnell isn't bad, there's some good writing here, but unfortunatly for the most part he's a mediocre character who has some bad pratfalls along the way who dies a pretty cool death.

Another please.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply