Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,544 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
Who is this sassy lost child
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Les do this.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So. Melina Frost.

Profile: Well, aside from the fact that I'm pretty sure the Irish Mafia isn't really a thing (according to Wikipedia, there's an Irish Mob, but that's something different), there's the fact that Melina's whole personality in-game stems from a sexual assault that happened when she was a young teen. That, combined with the fact that her own wiki page admits that she's a copy of Mariavel Varella, pretty much sets the tone for Melina's story.

Pre-game: We get a memory thread in which Melina is either thirteen or fifteen (she's stated to be fifteen, and then in a later paragraph she's thirteen? It's a oneshot so we don't get any clarification) that covers the sexual assault mentioned in her profile in really gratuitous detail. I'm pretty sure we can all understand the problem with "assault victim turns nymphomaniac", so I won't go into detail here. After that, Melina appears in the beach party thread, where she beats up Eduardo Trinidad-Villa for no reason and then leaves.

V3 Proper: As much as I was complaining in chat, Melina wasn't really excruciating so much as mostly underwhelming with a few moments of shock value thrown in. Spelling and grammar errors are pretty rampant in her posts, and for the most part they're pretty short. Melina tries really hard to pull off the "master manipulator" archetype and this doesn't work because A) everyone she meets already knows her as a manipulative bully and B ) her only tactic ever is crocodile tears, which she usually ditches in about two posts anyway. There are some attempts later on to make Melina more sympathetic and vulnerable, but by then she's already done so much crazy shit that it's a lost cause. Then she goes inactive.

Death: Melina's death was handled by SOTF Help after she went inactive, and while it was a vast improvement in general writing quality, I'm not really pleased with the fact that she managed to kill two more characters, who weren't inactive themselves, in her death thread. It was a decent enough ending for Melina's character though.

Overall: I'd be more forgiving if Melina had more of a concept than "psycho bitch who will have sex with anyone", but as it is, she's just a failed attempt at a Mitsuko Souma-style villain. If you want an all-girl death squad, read the softball team from V5 instead.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I guess I'm recovered enough to have another go.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Neeeeeeil Sinclaaaaair.

Profile: Neil was fairly average for V3, and his profile was one of the more normal ones. His love of rock music and being a member of a band sort of eclipsed everything else, but it worked well enough.

Pregame: Didn't have any.

V3 Proper: Neil was a good read. His first thread was a little lighthearted and silly, with him performing a rock duet with Ric Chee to let Danya know that they're coming for him, and the fact that Neil is a musician remains a pretty big part of his character throughout the game, since he frequently passes notes about S.A.D.D. around under the pretense of writing songs. Though he did have some slightly over-the-top moments, (screaming "SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADD" to the sky when the first group breaks up) Neil was consistently pretty down-to-earth. I liked that he made questionable decisions and sometimes tried too hard, because he really was just a teenager trying to take control of a crazy situation and not some infallible military leader. His epilogue was satisfying, and joining STAR seemed a logical choice for Neil.

My main grumble is that Neil had several threads where he got stuck together with some of his handler's other characters, which made for a bit of a cluttered read, especially since Neil often came into the thread on the tail end of one of the other characters' posts. This was the most jarring when one of the shared kids got brutally murdered by Blood Boy when it seemed like Neil should have just been five feet away.

Overall: Neil was a solid read with a few hiccups, but I enjoyed him. He and the rest of S.A.D.D. were definitely major players in V3 and that version's escape, so he's worth checking out.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll have another.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kenburton Larris.

Profile: So Ken Lawson is actually some guy from V2 named Burton Harris and the Burton Harris who died in V2 was actually the real Ken Lawson. Because reasons. Also his biggest disadvantages are that he's not a morning person and talking about V2 makes him feel guilty.

Pregame: Kenburton has only one pregame thread and he spends it talking about how terrible it would be if they happened to get abducted on SOTF and how cool he thinks Dodd is.

V3 Proper: I think the best part of Ken is that whenever he has dialogue I can imagine really chill hippie music playing in the background. He doesn't really do much, spending two threads wandering around and then he gets high and walks through a graveyard and just so happens to fall down an open grave with a headstone that reads Burton Harris, 1986-2006. And then he died. I'm guessing that whoever was manning the base before it was abandoned was clairvoyant and had too much time on their hands.

Overall: ._.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, roll me another.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jessica Jones sat around and talked with Andrea Valandingham and then she got blown up. The end.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
was gponna go to bed but then I was like nah, Wade Wilson

Profile: He's aapprently really nice looking but I think the real Deadpool is disfigured isn't he? He has an adrenlaine deficiency and i didn't think that was a thing. THis is the worst schizophrenia I've ever seen I took a psychology class before that's not nhow hallucinationss work. a debate amongts himself waht does that mean.

Pregame: He didn't have any.

V3: I think his first post is a songpost but I dkn't know the song. Je made a Lord of the Flies reference. Wy do bad omens lead to STDs? I don't knwo.

He says he's a realist. He is a liar.

Ugggggh She Bop uuuuuuuuugh

Wade's pretty interesting I guess but I don't like the treatment of mental illess but then it's actually not the worst we've seen in SOFT. His writing's okay. Except he's speaking French now for soe reason. Did he just ask Melina if she's a sandwoch?

He's just eylling random things now.

Oh yeah and he fuckings killed like five people without knowing it and violated a chick because he though she was going to seduce and kill him i don't get it. It's not even like bad just nothing he does makes sense he could've been really ood.

Oh yeah he yelled at this girl because she ate the penis. I remember that. Why is ther so much penis mutilatiions in V3

i don't understand anyting Why didn't you link your threads I hate thaaaaat. I like Wade so much better when he's not seeing skeletons and shit he's more interesting being a fucking human being.

So Wade is not actually as bad as I made it sound when I was complaining but he's literally running around following the MSM Messenger Man after it left a guy's skull and I don't know how I feel about this. I'm drunk.

Awww he had the long redepmtion thoughts after he got shot in the head, I hate that.

But yeah he was okay I guess 5/1
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bradley Armstrong

Profile: Bradley was all around a pretty ordinary guy, which I suppose was the point, since he was an insert of his handler. With some expansion, Bradley would probably be fit to be approved in a later version.

V3: Unfortunately, Bradley didn't get to do all that much in his time on the island. He largely popped in and out of threads without interacting much, and even his death came without him really interacting with his killer. His writing was decent, but it didn't really get a chance to evolve much, and the fact that Bradley died early on in the game meant that his story didn't really get a chance to find a direction.

Roll me another, please!
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Arty Williams

Profile: Pretty par for the course, another character who was submitted later in the game. Not really much to say about it here.

V3: Arty only appeared in one thread, long enough to toss SADD a cellphone and get shot in the face by Bobby Jacks. That's pretty much it. (The cellphone never gets mentioned again.)

Another please!
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
latelatelate Hayden O'Guinn!

Hayden was another kid who came in late and didn't stick around for long. It's kind of too bad, because there were hints of interesting stuff in his profile and things that apparently happened offscreen, but they never progressed beyond hints. He lived, he died, not much happened beyond that we actually got to see, but there was the framework for a pretty interesting character there.

Another please!
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dacey was pretty neat. She's an unusual concept and it was pretty central to her as a character, but she manages to not be one-dimensional. The big part of her time on-island is her partnership with Rick Holeman, which gradually develops into something semi-romantic. The two of them never come right out and discuss their feelings for each other, which is a good thing in my opinion. It's nice to watch their relationship develop without either of them outright stating it to the reader. Dacey has a nice little character arc that sees her go from detached from the rest of her classmates to close with someone else, losing that someone and finally losing her life when she decides to give someone the benefit of the doubt rather than staying on her guard like she had been trying to the whole game. It all felt like pretty logical development for her, and I enjoyed her story.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
did i have an unfinished kid for this or
Characters

Others

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply