Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,549 Views)
LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
I'm a bit late to the party, but I think I might try my hand at this.
V5
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Right, Julie Mikan.

One of LadyMakaze's characters, she had a rather interesting backstory in which she sheltered a former member of Danya's organisation for a while and was interrogated by his pursuers, disguised as police officers. This would give her a great interest in SOTF long before she ended up in the game. During V3 she quickly decided to start playing after meeting the infamous Adam Dodd, and ended up shooting Owen Fontaine in the head. Following this she soon changed her attitude towards playing the game and underwent a good deal of character development as she was deeply disturbed by her killings and freaked out for a while, attacking several others before being shot (she got better). Later on she finished off everyone's favourite cannibalistic necrophile Viktor Kurchatov with a knife to the brain. Sadly, LadyMakaze went inactive for a long period of time and she was rather unceremoniously shot by one of the terrorists. Such is life in SOTF.

Overall, I quite enjoyed reading Julie's story. The writing was generally consistent throughout and it's a shame that her handler went inactive before it could be concluded. While I feel that she began (as Dodd describes her on one thread) as something of an 'ice-bitch' terms of personality, she really evolved well as time went by, momentary freakout and all. So yeah, a pretty good character in my books.

Right, I'm up for another one.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Poor Cara Scholte.

I don't have that much to say about her, really. After killing Joey McHaimond in her first thread, she freaks out and becomes catatonic, spending most of her time on the island being dragged around by Maxie Dasai. Naturally she couldn't do much considering her state and ended up being taken off by J.R. Rizzolo, who tortured and eventually killed her. She was a decent character overall, though I personally feel that more could've been done with her as she went from someone seriously affected by their first kill to being pretty much comatose for the rest of her time there. That said, I did quite like some of her inner monologue and the death scene was rather poignant.

Another, please.
Edited by LordB, Feb 9 2014, 05:05 PM.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Not gonna lie, I had a feeling that Ivye Dewley wasn't going to be the best of characters in terms of realism just from reading her bio. Characters who are a bit odd or quirky are one thing, but the über-tragic backstory of an albino with a superiority complex and a love of the macabre put me off a bit. In-game, the writing itself was fairly decent, and I'll hazard a guess that the lengthy, sometimes over-the-top descriptions were meant to fit in with her rather pompous nature. If so, then that was accomplished very well by the Handler.

Then Ivye went from 'slightly weird', to 'totally batshit insane'. Not something unusual for SOTF, I'd imagine, but her first proper interaction with others involved referring to herself as a vampiress and cursing Apollo before blowing someone to smithereens with a frag grenade. Then she ran away. After hiding under a bed for a while, Ivye's handler changed to Megami for the rest of the game. She ran around, hissed a few times, and threw grenades at people before encountering Gabriel Theobalt and the infamous Adam Dodd. Dodd shot her in the head, and the grenade she was about to use detonated, killing Gabriel and incinerating our raving mad vampiress. (A holy hand grenade, perhaps?)

All in all, while Ivye was indeed very over-the-top and crazy, crazy, crazy in terms of character design, she was fairly fun to read even if I couldn't take her very seriously. It would have been nice to see her interacting more with others as I don't think she had a conversation with any (real) people on the island, and her only real driving motive was to murder 'mere mortals'.

Another, please.

V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Right, finally got around to looking at Michael Anders, and it turns out that I've been given another albino. He was very nearsighted and couldn't stay in the sun very long, but otherwise seemed fairly normal. His bio wasn't very detailed and only really had the bare essentials, though it gave a fairly decent overview of Michael's general personality. That said, going into the game I didn't have the best feeling about Michael from that.

As for the game itself, the writing wasn't too bad, barring the occasional spelling mistakes and so on. He wakes up in the jungle and spends a few days alone in there before venturing out towards the airfield. He didn't really interact with the people in his thread and left shortly after. His handler then changed for his next thread as he met with another group of students before fleeing when they came under attack. His next thread largely involved him singing 'Sweet Home Alabama' with Abel Williams, before accidentally tripping him up and killing him. Whoops. Understandably he freaks out, runs off, and knocks himself out when he runs into a tree. He awoke later on, and ended up confronting with Bobby Jacks. Michael decided to attack in spite of his near-sightedness and inferior weapon (a tonfa at this point). Jacks fired at him and hit a landmine, which in turn triggered a nearby log trap. Said trap smashed into Michael and broke his neck. killing him.

Overall, I think that Michael was better than I'd thought he would be just from reading his bio, though I feel like a lot more could've been done with his character. I think the change of Handler did some good as his threads certainly improved after doing barely anything for his first few posts. I feel like he was supposed to be somewhat bumbling and unfortunate, and if that's the case then that aspect of him was captured rather well along with most of his personality. Perhaps he could have stood out more if he'd lived longer, but sadly that wasn't the case. Not too bad, really.

Another, please.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Right, Andrea Vanlandingham.

I felt that Andrea was quite an interesting character from reading her backstory, even if she only appeared in two threads overall. Her first appearance in the game was pretty far in, during V3's escape attempt once a number of people had been killed. Her involvement began with her removing collars from other students and keeping her group together while they planned their fightback against Danya. Then Harry Tsai happened. After surviving a shotgun blast thanks to her laptop weapon, she was tortured for some time. She taunted her captor in spite of this and even tried to attack him to save her friend, only to be shot in the head and killed.

I don't have a great deal to say about Andrea, really. While she was only present for two posts she obviously made a large impact by removing several collars, and I liked her defiance even in the face of death. Her posts were well-written and detailed and I really enjoyed reading her as a character. Just wish she'd been around for longer.

Another, please.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Luke Rowan's bio states that he was more likely to "catch a cold from a stiff wind and die from it before ever being actually murdered by a contending student." As such, I didn't expect him to last very long. He didn't. I really don't have very much to say about Luke as he only appeared in a single thread and in all honesty wasn't the most interesting character to read. He walks up to a group holding his chainsaw, does very little and ends up getting pushed to the ground in the mad rush to escape their area as it became a Danger Zone. Then his collar exploded. I think Luke might have been better if he'd actually appeared more; his handler only did one post before he was killed off.

Another character, please.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
While I found her somewhat interesting as a character from reading her bio, Rio Koizumi was only around for a single thread in the game proper (Her page stated that she never appears and is merely mentioned as having been killed off; gonna assume that was just part of covering up the escape attempt). She doesn't do a great deal in her short appearance, only having a few brief conversations with other students before running straight into one of Danya's death squads and dying. The two or so posts she was in beforehand were fairly decent, though I'm afraid that there's little else worth noting about Rio as she wasn't around for long.

Another character, please.
Edited by LordB, Mar 13 2014, 06:52 PM.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Poor Dennis Bernard. I did rather like the idea of a 'fan' of SOTF being put into the game, if only to see them realise that it wouldn't exactly turn out like they imagined in their mind. It'd be like an armchair survivalist being thrown into a zombie apocalypse. Sadly, Dennis didn't last very long and only survived for a few posts. He ended up running into Lucy Arber, who had bullied him for years and continued to do so until he pushed her over. Unfortunately, he didn't realise that she had an axe and was promptly struck in the knee. While he managed to wound his attacker in the ensuing struggle, Dennis was quickly hacked to death by Lucy. For a character who didn't appear for very long I actually liked Dennis as a character and feel that he could've had a lot of potential had he not died so quickly. Then again, that could be said of many contestants in SOTF.

I'd like another.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Right, finally got around to reading Vera Lang.

Her profile was fairly decent. Quite short and rather informal, but it got to the point. In-game, Vera appears on the fifth day and is surprisingly cheery for someone on Death Island. She immediately introduces herself to two others, who team up and leave the thread shortly after. They later meet up with some more people and after sleeping for a while their group is attacked by a shotgun-toting player. Vera is wounded as they escape through an air vent and leaves the thread. She later has a conversation with Alexis Machina, who guns her down from behind. Vera doesn't seem to hold a grudge against Alexis for some reason, and tosses her weapon (a bottle of Advil) towards her before dying.

Overall, I think Vera was a character that certainly improved as time went by. Though she only appeared in three threads, the quality of writing and character development went from being a bit lacklustre at the start to a much higher quality by the time of her death. I think that she could've done more as a character; she spent most of her time just following others and didn't really do much on her own until her final thread, which was a shame as that was the point when I feel that she was really starting to improve.

Another, please.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
From reading Brenden Bedard's bio and comments, I had a feeling that he'd start playing the moment he woke up on the island. I wasn't wrong, but I was slightly disappointed that he went the way of starting out as a psycho and looking forward to killing everyone rather than adopting the survivalist attitude I'd expected from his bio to win the game.

After waking up in the graveyard, Brenden's immediately decides to take the 'Kill Everyone' option and runs off. He ends up outside the Hospital and begins planning an attack on the students there before Evelyn Richinson runs into him. Brenden tries to grab her for interrupting his evil plotting, only to miss and slip away quietly before anyone else noticed him. Upon arriving in the flower field, fuming over the fact that he hadn't murdered someone yet, he runs into a few more students and decides to play nice for the time being. After James Brown fires a rifle while high on LSD, Brenden disarms him with his bullwhip and tries to subdue him before using the opportunity to strangle Luis Chezinski to death with it. Then he falls over, hits his head on a rock and dies. Well.

All in all, Brenden didn't really do much while on the island. He wandered round for a while with a raging murderboner, killed someone and immediately died after. I wasn't really a fan of him immediately starting out as a psychotic player as more probably could've been done with his personality outside of his desire to kill people. The posts are well-written and generally of decent quality, though Brenden just wasn't around for enough time to really develop as a character.

Another, please.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
I took one look at the first thread and knew what happened to this guy. Bio was pretty decent; not sure if his habitual masturbation was a detail worth mentioning but by this point I've read weirder backstories. Unfortunately, Kode Hairesu was among the group that encountered Wade Wilson, who by the game's fifth day had (to put it lightly) gone completely insane. In his one and only appearance, Kode and the others were attacked by Wilson; he was kicked off a cliff and landed face-first on a sharp rock, which impaled him. Nothing else to say, really.

I'd like another.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Right, Kristin Washington. I thought the bio was fairly good for the most part, no complaints there. In-game however, she's only around for two threads and her handler makes three posts with her before she's brought into the second thread by SOTF_Help and is shot by Viktor Kurchatov. The few posts she did have were decently written and detailed for the most part, though aside from that Kristin didn't really do much in-game before dying.

Another, please.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
It's been a while, but I finally got around to reading through Margaret Tweedy. Bio was decent, no problems at all there. I rather enjoyed her story and character, though there were a few times when she seemed to be mostly following others around without doing much else; a small gripe but not a detriment to her overall story. Margaret's general attitude and comments towards her situation and others (snark and swearing, mostly) was certainly a highlight of the story, even during her death scene. The writing was consistent and well-done throughout as well. All in all, a fun read in my opinion.

Another, please.
V5

LordB
Member Avatar
Grossly Incandescent
[ * ]
Finally got around to reading through Quincy Archer. My apologies for the delay.

Right then, a nerdy Brit who laments his supposedly useless weapon? I can relate to that. The whole background thing about being a fan of SOTF was pretty meta and strange, but interesting, while the rest of the bio was of fairly decent quality. Plus he seemed to have built up a reputation for being a bit of a dick, so I was pretty interested in seeing where his character would go.

In-game, one thing that did trouble me was his lack of any major response to being put in the game. I suppose that's the problem since Quincy began on day three, by which time I'd imagine most of the initial freakouts would most likely have passed. It's a fairly small gripe, but I would liked to have seen a bigger reaction as he merely gets up and begins his journey with the kind of attitude you'd expect from someone who had already accepted how SOTF would be. Then again, that could be the whole point behind his quick acceptance, considering his prior fascination with the previous programs.

That aside, I enjoyed Quincy's story for the most part. The theme of him having downright surreal dreams before waking up to announcements was something I liked, though I felt that the random cutaways to things that had happened years before took me away from what was happening on the island a bit too often and though some were interesting, there were a few that seemed really unnecessary. Also there was a part in the graveyard where he hallucinated what I presumed was a manga character, had a brief chat, then left. Yeah.

As for his final scenes, I did like the slippery slope Quincy went down in his last few threads as paranoia and madness began to take over, especially after he ended up killing someone. Aside from his rather weird dreams turning downright horrific, he became trapped in the burning-down hangar and after a song-laden final post (What is it with these in V3?) killed himself. I might have had some problems with the character earlier, but all in all I quite enjoyed how things turned out. All in all, a bit of a strange, if fairly decent read.

I'd like another, please. I'll be sure to get the next one done quicker.
V5

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply