Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,559 Views)
Maraoone
Member Avatar
COMIN OUT OF MY CAGE AND I'VE BEEN DOIN JUST FINE
[ *  *  * ]
I want in also.

V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

"Mara was a mistake." - Cicada, 2017
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
That was quick.

Katherine lived and died in one post, so there's not much I can say. I have to say that it's really selfish to kill her off just like that. Her concept seemed interesting (although the lupineslipephobia... no comment) and it's just disrespectful to kill her off using some random in-joke from two versions (at the time) ago. Couldn't you at least put her up for adoption or hero her? (Not too familiar with V3 rules)

That being said, there were grammar errors and there was nothing really spectacular. It wasn't bad, just average. Katherine died without any fanfare or drama, and I think that was the point. If it was, then Bukowski did it perfectly.

Next character please!
Edited by Maraoone, Feb 3 2014, 08:23 AM.
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
PAGE 2. YOU CAN'T BEAT ME

So, I realize Unpy used this to describe one of the other kids he read, but I feel it's worth saying here. Pascal Stonely's kinda like a suckier version of Maxwell Lombardi (yes I know Pascal came first). British, a complete prick with a superiority complex, 'incredibly intelligent', but with a twist! He just goes stupid for the guys. So, a couple of stereotypes blended together basically.

First of all, it's kinda nice reading this thread since young!Namira and Trish McCarroll are there, but that's not my focus. His first post is exactly how you'd imagine it, with him complaining about his clothes in the middle of death island, and instead of acting horrified, is simply disgusted about being with 'low-lifes'. Considering how v3 had Blood Boy and a kid who killed over 1,000 people in its ranks, his comment's a bit of an understatement.

His next couple posts actually aren't too bad. They have some potential and all, but of course, this is wasted when he goes inactive. Can't really comment on the death since it was handled by SOTF_Help and all. Overall, slightly better than what I expected.

6/10

More please!

V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
So, his profile is quite brief and indicates that he's a stoner with an extreme interest in rock. This tends to lower one's expectations a bit, but his stay on the island surprisingly offers a bit more.

The prose is very minimal, and so at first impression, Shane seems to be poorly written. Seems. His prose doesn't have as many implications, or as much depth as what we see in v5, but with dinah_shore, you get some meat. If the two just had their own thread, it would've been a pleasant read of two characters bonded by cigarettes. However, here's their biggest problem. They had this thing in the midst of Sound and Fury.

Sound and Fury is 127 posts, and the main plot here is about SADD's meet-up. So, the two characters are incredibly out of place, and this results in a little two-thread-in-one action, for a bit. However, they soon become very relevant to the thread.

This is where my opinion for Shane drops a bit. I like the role he plays. He sets off an incredibly tense situation, but the sad part is the payoff is nothing, and it was done in such an idiotic manner (although maybe his being high could excuse it). So, he gets some sense talked into him by the people with him, and avoids a shoot-out with Bobby Jacks (although he's already wounded).

And then he gets inactive killed, and I'm reminded of the fact that inactive kills have improved a ton since v3.

Overall, despite the fact that his profile was stereotypical, he had some potential, but fumbled at the worst possible moment, and went inactive.

6.5/10

Next, please!
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

Maraoone
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I'm going to give up James Ellet. Even though he's a rather short read, I honestly don't have the time to read him, and I feel like he'd be wasted with me.

For what it's worth, I'll just say that based on what I've read, James Ellet is one of the few examples of two characters from one handler interacting with each other done right. Both he and Morgan, like Espi said, get their viewpoints shared, and karsk/nope/trash is a pretty good writer.

No more for now/
V6 Characters:

V5 Characters

Chat

Pledges

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply