Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,520 Views)
Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Why not. GIVE IT TO ME.
V5 Characters:

Jack McDonald is a SELF-INSERT YAY.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So, Simon Wood.

Dude's a classic example of not doing much on the island. Basically, he wakes up, runs into Gabriel, runs away with Brad's group, sees them get shot up by Blood Boy, runs away, finds Madison, then runs away (noticing a pattern?), and finally gets clobbered by Darnell. He's an alright character, he just doesn't get a chance to shine or show much about what makes him good. Just... decent.

HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nadine Willowbrook, as seems to be a theme, does nothing and is ultimately pretty boring. Worse than Simon, though, mostly due to a couple of confusing lines and an overly long, really over dramatic song post as a death. Blergh.

Why not another?
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SO DANTE COOPER.

For a character that made the final 20 or so, I expected more. His experiences with Marnie seemed like they could go somewhere interesting, but the two got separated really quickly and things dropped off after that. Dante basically wandered around on his own, got ignored in a lot of his threads, then went inactive and got shot.

NEXT.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SO BECKY HOLT SERIOUSLY JUST READ HER IN LIKE THREE MINUTES CAUSE SHE SHARED A LOTTA THREADS WITH DANTE:

... Actually, yeah, that's the most interesting thing about my read. Man, there was a whole lotta nothing in V3, wasn't there.

I HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH GIMME ONE MORE.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mary McKay:

A WHOLE BUNCH OF NOTHING: PREGNANT EDITION

(Also Wade Wilson kills her or something, whatever.)

NEXT.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hah, bet you had forgotten about me. Page 7, suckas.

Anyways, Dorian Sanders. You know when people talk about characters who are annoying because their writers try to make them be quirky and witty and humorous over giving them much actual substance as a character? Yeah, that's Dorian.

Dorian's actually written pretty decently in terms of sentence structure and post arrangement and all that, but the character himself is rather flat. He doesn't feel all that believable. The time in his head is mostly spent referencing Bruce Willis or Greek plays and not that much actually developing his ideas and beliefs. His last thread references himself as a "tragic hero", but really, it's a rather weak arc that's barely set up. He gets pissed at some groups, has an escape plan that sort of disappears after two threads, then gets into a bunch of misunderstandings and gets shots. It really feels like a character that's working post to post rather than building towards some greater goal.

Overall, Dorian's a decent read if you have the time or are reading as much of V3 as you can, but otherwise there's nothing notable to check out.

Roll me up another one, cause why not really.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Karl shows up and then he dies.

I don't think I've ever read a character that left so little impact on me, even including other one-post wonders. That's almost an accomplishment in itself.

Another, if you don't mind.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think I've ever seen a character take a more abrupt turn of development than Viktor did... and this was AFTER he killed someone. It reads to me like the handler wanted to do something specific with the character, but got rolled before they could build up to it so they just went with it at the last second. The craziness itself, however, just comes off as corny and over-the-top, especially in the context of the character.

Also, just as a note, handlers posting with more than one character at a time is super annoying and no one should do it ever.

Let's go for another.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
James Trejo was alright, though he picked waaaaaaay up after Blastinus took him in. I didn't actually know he was partially blind going into it, but I think it was handled well, showing all the struggles such a person would have to go through without making it his only character trait. Biggest pet peeve, though, was the fact that the narrative referred to him as "the blind man" in just about every post. It got old fast. He had a bit of a loose arc, and in the end I was honestly more interested in Lyn, but it's definitely not a bad read.

Another one, let's gooooooooo.
V5 Characters:

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think the site would survive.
V5 Characters:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply