Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,516 Views)
D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Like I said, I'm in to relive the good and bad of this wacky version. I SURE HOPE I GET RANDY FLAGG!
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, Edgar Hoskins was an unmemorable pure fodder character and it was pretty clear that Llama didn't give a poop about him, BUT (and this is worth pointing out), if there is such a thing as a decent fodder character, and I think there, is, then Edgar is a good example of it.

His profile is a good example of one of the major hiccups in the early games, in that we have a perfectly good base for a character (troublemaking kid who doesn't do delinquenty stuff anymore but is still a jerky asshole), that gets undone by a silly and over-the-top backstory (the angry former gang members STABBING HIS FATHER TO PARALYZATION OH THE PATHOS, which is also recounted in a cheese-tacular flashback on-island). In the game, he appears midway through as the classic "was-avoiding-everyone-else-for-the-past-x-days" fashion, gets into a fight, and decides to be an under-the-radar type player, only killing while needed. All that's decent enough, and while Edgar's certainly not a deep character, it makes sense. I did enjoy seeing the Trish/James/Danni trio make fun of him for being a wannabe-badass with lines that sound scripted, and to give Llama credit, he's in on the joke. Then Edgar gets his awesomely foddertastic death, with Riz shooting him in the head as he yells at the church group. Hell, let me reprint it for you:

Quote:

Edgar didn't get the chance to finish his sentence. He didn't even get a chance to realize that he'd been shot. The bullet simply ripped through the back of his skull, shooting out the other side, and his body quickly dropped right to the ground. Ed had secretly hoped that if he had to die, he could at least deliver some snappy one-liner first.

Sucks to be him.

B113: Edgar Hoskins - DECEASED

Bravo, decent fodder character. Rest in peace.

I'll take another.
v6!
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Dang we be flying through these (at least now we've started hitting charries like Lulu and Eddie Sullivan and lolololololDom)

ANYWAY Olivia Swan. Olivia gets to show off her dimensionality in her first post by complaining about her cell phone and her dress and her shoes and her Prada bag and you get the idea. This is because she is a deep character with many subtle layers to her.

Now to be fair, over the next few posts she actually gets a chance to show the possibility of going somewhere and displaying more to herself than the obvious. She reacts quickly to Elizabeth charging and bonks her with the tennis racket; she realizes that she'll have to work with others even if she doesn't like them; she recognizes Reg Robson as being a smelly hippy schmuck. All that is good, but by the end of the first thread she's just back to "UGH PEASANTS AND COMMONER PLEBES" and that's about it for her character, and then she meets Branca and acts silly and is like "PEASANT SLAVE" and gets her head caved in the end. Given more time maybe she coulda turned into something though.

NEXT!
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Alright then, Injun Joe (SERIOUSLY, INJUN JOE?) was never posted with by his original handler, so I all can go on in regards to that is that his handler actually thought that calling him Injun Joe was a good idea. Enough said. Anyways, Joe got tossed in the Wade Wilson slaughterfest, in which case he was really decently written and managed to get his character across in a very brief amount of time before he got sliced into pieces. So erm, good for Dodd on that I guess?

NEXTO
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Anna Vaan had a fun name. Anna Vaan was 6'4" and 125 pounds, which even for a person with a generic "eating disorder" isn't particularly realistic. There's not much to say about Anna Vaan, because yeah she quickly went inactive, and then SOTF_Help had her attack Lenny and Elizabeth in a rage despite that making no sense whatsoever for her character. Her death thread also features one of the worst and most shameless attempts at kill-stealing I've ever seen, as Will Sigurakjsdhkajsdgh strolls in and tries to shoot her in the middle of the fight. I did find it funny that Lenny was being all "HOOHAHAHAH I SLOWLY TORTURE YOU NOW" when she'd already been paralyzed or something and couldn't actually feel it. That was the end of Anna Vaan.

GIMME NEXT
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Anna Grout was flipping awesome. Best character ever ok not quite but damned if she wasn't a quick, enjoyable read. She met up with Sloan Henrikson, and proceeded to earn my admiration for both adorably referring to herself as 'Thesia in her internal monologuing, and staying away from Sloan while commenting on what a drooling moron he was during his horrible, idiotic death scene ("oh why YES INDEED that was a clever, subtle reference to Tugga Wugga Ooga Booga, how kind of you people to notice, no, hold your applause, please").

Anyway, whoever "Tilt", Anna's handler was, he or she then left the site and handed things over to Crash, and in a way it's too bad that they never kept up with SOTF, as Anna's posts were short and not particularly deep, but they got her character across, and by gum I loved how normal she was even with her kooky side and brief homelessness. Had Tilt stuck around, they could have been something good.

And Crash of course was good. Anna's not his best stuff, as his writing for her is a bit overcooked, but I can forgive that. Anna ends up holing up with Madison Connor, and then she chops Dane Zygsydugi in the arm and he dies while horrible songlyrics play and he flashed back to how awesome his handler's flagship character is (seriously, boooooo to Soli for that but we all did crappy stuff in v3 its ok i forgive you). That leads to Anna's suicide, which was something that v3 had waaaaay to little of, and yeah, good stuff. Dunno if it really deserved BDA or not, but I wasn't going to seek out the competition so I'll take the boards word for it.

Yay, another.

v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sharon Kulikov - Ooooh. Well, no clue whether Sharon was Mimi's' very first SOTF charrie, but if she wasn't some kind of harbinger of awesome things to come, she was at least an indication that things to come wouldn't be like awful. I think every v3 character that has no more than one over-the-top thing in their backstory (Sharon's extra-abusive dad) should at least be given a pass as far as their profile goes, so Sharon comes across as pretty normal. On the island, she first decides to play, tries to be manipulative and stuff, and soon realizes that she won't be able to go through with it. That's a nice way to go, but her character and rationalizations for the way she thinks and acts are all over the place and don't quite ever come together to create a satisfying arc. She goes from steeling herself to kill to feeling extreme guilt about maybe possibly sending Warren into a situation where he maybe possibly might be in some danger of dying, which is diving too far from one extreme to another, for example.

Sharon's posts are pretty compact, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They hit all the necessary stuff - outside description, internal monologue, action, and dialogue - even if none of the parts are very deep or insightful. So she wasn't a thrilling read, but hey. And her deathpost was fun and unique, even if the whole "It was all Lenny's fault for obscure reasons!", was another thing that came out of nowhere.

Sure, I'll take another!

v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
SO THIS IS A THING WERE STILL DOING

Schpluurk

Marnie Yaguchi! Marnie was good (if early) stuff from Mimi, definitely better than Sharon Kukualoavokoav was, in that she had a pretty fully realized character and good consistency throughout. She was small and cute and smart and tried to keep perky no matter what. She had a lot of teenage thoughts and reactions to things, like "bleeech" and "guuuuh", and of course

Schpluurk

and had lots of words italicized in her posts, which weren't nearly as annoying as they can be. Marnie wasn't great or serious prose (and there was much overuse of adjectives and adverbs aplenty), but she was fun in a young adult novel sort of way, and it's easy to see why she became a v3-era fave, especially since she gets better as she goes. Plotwise, she blumps pretty early into the old "gotta find mah bff" thing with Dorian, but her fake-seduction of Dante Cooper was fun, although she doesn't do a ton before flopping into the rescue. Her reunification with Dorian was still enjoyable though, and it's kinda a pity I think too few people actually read the v3 rescue because there was good stuff there overall.

ONEZ MORE
[/b]
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I wills read Clive. But not all his subsequent teas with Satan.
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Let's get this doooooooone

CLIVE MAXWELL.

So... yeah. Here's a thing about Clive. Say you were designing a kid for SOTF with the knowledge that he was gonna be a player. You could do a lot worse than the base of Clive for an idea. A popular athletic kid who's got a bit of a sadistic streak he keeps hidden? And who has a bit of a superiority complex because he wasn't actually popular until high school started and he discovered he was pretty good at sports? So he feels like he's better than the jocks who are dumb and the nerdlingers who couldn't become popular like him. Clive actually isn't a bad concept at heart compared to the various deformed maniacs that populated earlier versions... except that suddenly in the conclusion he went from "secretly a jackass" to "MOOOOHAHAHAHA EVIL SADIST" and that carried over onto the island.

Oh also there is a goes-nowhere connection with Siouxsie Souix, his cousin who was in v2 pregame, that pops up at utter random times.

So Clive wakes up on-island as an area becomes a dangerzone and decides to get the hell out. He gets a stapler as his weapon and immediately starts thinking of the evil pain a staple can inflict, and moves on, to what would be Lenny and Elizabeth Priestly's very first thread. Ahh, the halcyon days of old. But a rather poor choice, because as far as kids with sadism streaks who decide very early on that they're going to play the game, Lenny is really blowing Clive out of the water straight from the get-go.

Which, to digress a bit, is and will be Clive's massive problem. Xaldien, who did stick around with better kids in later versions if I remember, is obviously trying REALLY REALLY hard to present Clive as a potential big-time SOTF villain, someone who will get kills tossed their way and be in there for the long run while creatively dispatching kids and getting a lot of attention. And it doesn't work, and so there's a big disconnect between the narrative voice which is constantly trying to put Clive over as EEEEEEEEEVIL and a threat to win, and the actual action where he's completely ineffectual at pretty much everything.

Also, Clive makes a list of the three most dangerous threats on the island, or as he puts it, "those to outshine his murder mania":
1) Adam Dodd
2) Blood Boy

WHO THE HELL IS NUMBER THREE? IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE CLIVE HIMSELF? I don't know and it's never explained, and that now exists to bug me nine years later.

Anyway, Clive sees Lenny and Elizabeth and decides to play nice despite how much he wants to see how their insides look like. Fair enough, he's supposed to be well-liked and manipulative. Then he abandons that idea after Lenny offers up a bit of an alliance because... he wants Lenny to gather up a group on his own and then Clive will all gloriously torture them afterwards or something? I dunno. Clive does a lot of italicthoughts about how much he loves to hurt people and etc. etc. and moves on.

Then... ugh, he meets Lilah Morgan, an ex-girlfriend or something who is of course also handled by Xaldien and as far as I can see exists only to pump up Clive as a big-time baddie, but actually just makes him look dumb. Lilah apparently materializes out of thin air in the graveyard to stick a gun at the back of Clive's head, and then... we get this:
Quote:

Eventually Clive managed to quickly and gracefully get out of the guns way, and a fist fight ensued between the two of them, and Clive reveled in the surreal bliss of the fight. She matched him punch for punch, kick for kick, everytime he snatched the gun out of her hand and tried to aim, she managed to neutralize his aim and then steal the gun back. What did he honestly expect from a girl who's trained in fighting anyway?

A fight scene for the ages, indeed. Really, if you don't have the time or inclination to write an actual fight scene... uh, don't do this instead. Especially since it ends with LILAH STILL HOLDING THE GUN ON CLIVE JUST LIKE BEFORE. Please.

Clive then offers to meet up with Lilah again in a few days to settle whatever score they have. Lilah agrees for no fathomable reason and leaves. Clive thinks some more about Dodd and Blood Boy and moves on to... oh god it's the Guy Rapide sex/death scene but... Clive doesn't really get involved in that in any way, and instead he's being chased by Lilah into the scene from out of absolutely nowhere? What happened to the future showdown? WHAT IS GOING ON.

Clive tries to manipulate Guy but Guy points a gun at him while Lilah, even though she also has a gun, stands around doing fuck-all. Guy shoots but Clive jumps out of the way and takes a graze while suddenly revelling in the deliciousness of the pain and now becoming a massive masochist despite being described in damn near every paragraph as a total sadist. The situation fizzles out and Clive and Lilah just walk off. Nothing that happened in that scene made any sense at all.

New scene! And despite being another Clive/Lilah samehandlerthing, it's the best by a mile so far, even if it does again only exist to try to make Clive a big character at Lilah's expense. But Lilah was never much of any sort of character herself so it's not like I'll mourn her loss. But Clive and Lilah sit down and Lilah comes to the realization that she's not made for SOTF and can't kill anyone and Clive totes can so she says Clive can go on and shoot her already. Clive does so and has some actual human feeling. On an early-version level, it works. There's actually a darkly funny bit where she asks Clive to make it quick and he's like "I can't make it TOTALLY quick because I'm an evil sadist, haha!" Not bad. But then at scene's end it's like WELP. Back to Clive the badass masochist/sadist who will totally start racking up the kill count now that he's got one!

...and now it's time for a BATTLE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. By which I mean Clive meets up with the equally "totally gonna be a big-time evil killer coming soon!" Liam Black. And they have an inexplicable slapstick fight involving maniacal laughter, Clive giving Liam his stapler so Liam can staple his forehead, Clive possibly threatening Liam with a bunch of flowers he might be allergic to, and Liam...
Quote:

He bent his knees and jumped horizontally lie some sort of human frog. But he did not try to grab onto Clive with his hands. No, no. He was much too into fighting mode for such a civilized action. Instead he tried to grab on with his teeth.

Clive then wanders over to his bag and pulls out Lilah's gun. Then he bites Liam back. Liam declares
Quote:

"Sweet monkey potatoes!"

Finally Madison Conner shows up and fires about fifty bullets at them both. That seems kinda godmoddy. Clive clearly thinks so too as he runs around all the bullets in a circle. Bobby Jacks arrives, seemingly just to steal Clive's gun he dropped while running in one of the most breathtaking displays of godmodding I've ever seen, and the whole thing devolves into a brief OOC handler fight on what the hell is going on and who's godmodding who. Madison pulls out her laser dazzler and axe and says "Let me axe you a question.", but at least has the good sense to realize how bad that is. Liam gets blinded and charges at her. Clive goes after Bobby for stealing his gun and frankly I would too. In the middle of all this we cut to Siouxsie Sioux sitting at home and smoking a cigarette after hearing that Clive was on SOTF and deciding that she doesn't really give a shit. Well, good thing we spent all that time establishing her existence then. Madison fires a few more bullets at nothing in particular and hits Clive in the arm as he and Bobby dive at each other. Bobby godmods to hell and back saying he can see in the darkness via muzzle flashes or something. Quincy Archer and Margaret Tweedy show up to watch whatever the hell is happening and eat popcorn I guess? Then they leave?

And Clive and Liam both go inactive in the middle of this so Bobby and Madison run off.

BATTLE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS.

With the remaining circuits in my brain trying to reconnect themselves, Liam shows up in a new thread with his new handler saying that he and Clive had formed a truce to hunt down Bobby and that Clive, presumably with his new handler, will be along any time now. I'm not going to go into whatever madness is going on around them but they hide and watch it. Oh, Clive's now Ciel's property. That could be something!

Clive now has a voice in his head and is kinda losing it and runs away. OK....

A new thread! Wade Wilson and Will Sigurjjadhfgjasdhf have a conversation. Margaret Tweedy arrives, steals a random daypack with a musket, and leaves. Eicca Hietala strolls in to obligingly give Will a free kill. That was nice of him. Ah, here comes Clive. He's now slobbering insanely and incomprehensibly and lunges at Will like a lunatic. Wade has some meta-insanity of his own and shoots while Will throws a knife at Clive. Something hits him and he monologues for 10 minutes or so before thrashing around with the knife Will threw at him. Will gets a gun and walks around behind Clive and smashes him in the head to kill him instead of just shooting him.

And because Clive was the halfway point of v3 there's an epilogue with him and SATAN HIMSELF that would actually be brought back in future versions at the halfway point. So at least Clive had that going for him.

Soo.... yeah.

Most of my actual thoughts are in that one paragraph waaaaay above but Clive, yeah. Clive, both in what he tried to be and how he turned out, and it's not like I blame anyone here, but Clive really ended up emblematic of many of the problems with early-mid v3, I think. He was pimped up so much but didn't deliver, and his threads were some of the most insane clusterfucks I've seen, and the writing was so completely different after he was handed over that he might as well have just been killed off after the BATTLE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. At least that would have been a suitable bit of lunacy for Clive.

ON TO THE OTHER READATHONS THEN!
[/quote]
Edited by D/N, Sep 23 2017, 10:05 PM.
v6!

v5!

v4!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply