Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V3 Read-A-Thon; I want to go back to V2 - Ruggahissy
Topic Started: Feb 3 2014, 01:15 AM (21,532 Views)
Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maraoone: Pascal Stonely

Impereld: Alex Miller

Added to the list.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
Who is this sassy lost child
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Les do this.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Backslash: Melina Frost

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Morgan Ackland:

Profile-Well first of all, I think Morgan had a really good profile. It could probably have worked in V4 and even V5 with a few touchups. She's a normal, ordinary girl, and I think she works really well as a normal girl, especially when compared to some of the less normal characters of V3.

Game-Morgan's game was pretty short. She only had 3 threads, and one of them consisted of a single post before leaving. Still, she had a good rapport with James (despite them being handled by the same handler, I think they worked fairly well and got turns in the limelight), she was fairly believably scared and freaking out and being very cowardly and afraid without being cartoonish. I think she was a strong character, and relatively consistent in breaking down overall.

Death-That formatting. There was so much format play that seemed unnecessary and gratuitous it really distracted from what wasn't a terrible death itself. It seemed cheap and I wasn't very fond of it.

Overall-Morgan was a solid character, not super standout but with no real weaknesses, and I think she was pretty realistic, although her death was excessively formatted.

Score-7

Roll me another!
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Espi: Joseph Cande

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Joseph Cande:

Profile-Well besides the very short appearance, nothing seems out of order. Fairly standard aside from the parenthetical notions. Emoticons, random dinosaurs, what is this? He's fairly flat though, consisting mostly of references to his obsession to ninjas, so I wasn't sure where he'd go in-game.

Game-Well Joe had even less than Morgan, and shared a thread with her, except he only like had one post there. His primary trait was being a doofus, and he attacked someone with pretty much no provocation. Still, I guess he didn't have any massive weaknesses or flaws, so it's not terrible, just kind of mediocre.

Death-Not much to say since Joe wasn't actually posted with when he died. It was a bit contrived, I guess.

Overall-Meh, nothing really standout, and really one-dimensional from what he had.

Score-5

Ready for Round 3!
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Grim Wolf: Amanda Redder

Espi: Madison Conner

MrMissMrs Random
Member Avatar
Shut up I'm in the robot
[ *  *  *  * ]
I need to read V3, so please send me a kid.
Version 6
Adelaide Walker-N/A
V6 Pregame: 1-2
Image Song: TV on the Radio- Wolf Like Me

Frederick "Rick" Brea- N/A
V6 Pregame: 1-2
Image Song: SOHN- Artifice

Version 5
(G006) Rosemary Michaels- Butterfly Knife: "H-h-heh..."- DECEASED
V5 Game:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-6 (Return)-9-10-11-12-FINAL

Polibyss
Member Avatar
You like what you see?
[ *  *  * ]
Jodene wasn't good.

First, the profile. She's a completely normal person. Her profile avoids a lot of the craziness in early V3, but it almost went /too far/ in the other direction. She's a completely normal person with nothing really memorable about her. She's smart, but not really. She has friends, but she doesn't stand out. She has siblings that outdo her and career aspirations that aren't explained and there's nothing that I find any reason to care about. Also, none of her hobbies are even alluded to in the biography.

She immediately decides to play because she wants to survive... and become famous, I guess. The motivations behind this aren't explained too well, though it has something to do with proving that she's a good as her siblings. She quickly murders someone after pretending to help her, and.... then she goes inactive in her very next post. Jodene finds herself in the great Wade Wilson Inactive Massacre, in which she has a sudden change of heart and then is immediately killed by Wade in a completely over the top disgusting way while he's hallucinating that she's a succubus. This is, of course, told from Wade's point of view, so she doesn't really get a proper death post.

Her handler, "Deleted User", was a complete newbie, and it shows. The writing isn't good and the dialogue is very awkward. Maybe Jodene would have gotten better over time if she hadn't gone inactive, but... she did. So that's that.

Roll me another one, please.
V7

backslash
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So. Melina Frost.

Profile: Well, aside from the fact that I'm pretty sure the Irish Mafia isn't really a thing (according to Wikipedia, there's an Irish Mob, but that's something different), there's the fact that Melina's whole personality in-game stems from a sexual assault that happened when she was a young teen. That, combined with the fact that her own wiki page admits that she's a copy of Mariavel Varella, pretty much sets the tone for Melina's story.

Pre-game: We get a memory thread in which Melina is either thirteen or fifteen (she's stated to be fifteen, and then in a later paragraph she's thirteen? It's a oneshot so we don't get any clarification) that covers the sexual assault mentioned in her profile in really gratuitous detail. I'm pretty sure we can all understand the problem with "assault victim turns nymphomaniac", so I won't go into detail here. After that, Melina appears in the beach party thread, where she beats up Eduardo Trinidad-Villa for no reason and then leaves.

V3 Proper: As much as I was complaining in chat, Melina wasn't really excruciating so much as mostly underwhelming with a few moments of shock value thrown in. Spelling and grammar errors are pretty rampant in her posts, and for the most part they're pretty short. Melina tries really hard to pull off the "master manipulator" archetype and this doesn't work because A) everyone she meets already knows her as a manipulative bully and B ) her only tactic ever is crocodile tears, which she usually ditches in about two posts anyway. There are some attempts later on to make Melina more sympathetic and vulnerable, but by then she's already done so much crazy shit that it's a lost cause. Then she goes inactive.

Death: Melina's death was handled by SOTF Help after she went inactive, and while it was a vast improvement in general writing quality, I'm not really pleased with the fact that she managed to kill two more characters, who weren't inactive themselves, in her death thread. It was a decent enough ending for Melina's character though.

Overall: I'd be more forgiving if Melina had more of a concept than "psycho bitch who will have sex with anyone", but as it is, she's just a failed attempt at a Mitsuko Souma-style villain. If you want an all-girl death squad, read the softball team from V5 instead.
Characters

Others

Ciel
Member Avatar
"That’s not a prediction, that’s a spoiler.”
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Un-Persona
Feb 3 2014, 11:39 AM
Posted Image

u in 4 a treat espie I am so sorry
Edited by Ciel, Feb 3 2014, 12:35 PM.
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder

Badb
Member Avatar
Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ROLL ME UP, MOTHERFUCKER. CAN'T BE WORSE THAN MELINA.
V5:
B035 - Ray Gilbert - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
Quote:

[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently

Quote:

[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MrMissMrs Random: Lauren Howard

Polybius: Denise Dupuis

Dom: Eduardo Trinidad-Villa

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply