Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things!
Topic Started: Dec 23 2013, 12:28 AM (7,929 Views)
Pippin
Member Avatar
party wurmple never sleeps. only dances.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
*bats their eyelashes*

could ya take a look at Lucia del Pirlo pretty please c:
V7 BAYBEE

FOLDER OF DESTINY

"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wrote Chris Brooks once and he was fun. Maybe you could read him and critique him like back in my day when we didn't have these fancy tv typewriters with their bleeps and their bloops all we ha was-*rambles on*
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
V6
V5

dmboogie
Member Avatar
A Delicate Machine
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay it's been like a week now so I feel alright asking, could you please add Anzu Sakamoto to the queue?
a tribute for the dead and dying

Posted Image

Aura
Member Avatar
Has seen that which cannot be unseen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Could you read Lukas Graves, if you please?
Posted Image

Characters

Posted Image

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I finally have a dead kid again!

Paige, would you? :3

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
the bass and the tweeters make the speakers go to war
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, Paige. I'm not sure what you're queues at, but if it's got any room could you check out Dougie?

Thanks!
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
[OH SHIT THIS IS A THING AGAIN WITH] with CRITIQUE: WILL BRACKENRIG

THE COMPELLING

Will is such a fantastic example of the duality of the TV universe. Like, just staring at this post and seeing in the same breath both someone being a top notch SotF expert in a world full of SotF fans who is also absolutely disgusted at the idea of killing shouldn't work, right? But it does, because that's what TV is. Desensitization and decentralization. These themes dominate Will's story; he's a guy who knows what to do in a very technical sense but doesn't have any idea how to get there. The product of a culture resulting in genuinely nice people like him being obsessed with watching other die and that in no way preparing them for facing death themselves. It really makes me grin when people nail
culture fit like this in a Mini, especially for TV, and it's one of Will's greatest strengths right out of the gate.

Will also signs in social settings. Every time he comes across someone he knows you can see the charm oozing off of him, and the thing is that it all comes off as very genuine. Will loves his friends and loves being around them, and I think this relationship ends up carrying through strongest with Erik. It's notable that Erik's death is the exception to the problem I'm gonna discuss below with Will's inaction; this post earns Will doing nothing. There's weight and thought and decision and ultimately fear pushing him along into effective paralysis and it's so, so neatly done, I think this is one of Will's finest scenes and shows how well his emotional range connects when it's given purpose.

THE DRAGGING

Will should have tried to do something to Alice at the end of Rosebud. Him bouncing out of nowhere starts this chain of action where Will thinks about doing harm or externalizing some of his anger, but it never really advances beyond words and in the moment it's hard to see why. We know Will doesn't want to hurt people consciously, but given that his reaction to Alice killing Isaiah is way more rage than terror I would have loved to see that slip and start him down a different path.

Something similar comes up in the intro to Eat Fresh. Will goes on a camera rant about how the show is evil and I just don't feel he's earned it yet. For all that great sticking that Sansa does in Will's intro, I feel like it falls apart too soon. Why is the show, specifically, evil here? Why is what happened a function of his situation, one which he had mostly come to terms with before, rather than being laid squarely on Alice? Why isn't that anger going in an actionable direction? The problem with this moment is that there's no goal, and it fades as quickly as it came. He's right on to getting buddy buddy with Erik and forgetting about trying to convince people that this show is a bad thing. Will's arc is lost and muddled here without clear direction forward or a clear payoff that we as readers can cheer. I think one of the places this hits hardest is going into The Jellies Experience. We see that change-up, that fear back with Erik's death, and we see that promise to be better in Will's opening post, and then we're right back to the same old guy. When death finally comes for will he's begging Gene, a known killer, exactly the sort of thing he earlier decried as evil, to just stop attacking him. He doesn't resist. He doesn't even try to get away. And I feel like that denies the growth his narrative has been promising us this entire time.

THE NITPICKY

That roster tho. I wish it'd come up more. It's a really neat tool that could have had some interesting implications but it only gets referenced a time or two. It doesn't really detract from his story, but man do I wish Will had capitalized on that more.

Maybe in a year I'll do another one of these

Still three spots in the current queue! Red's gonna have to tell me who his character he wanted critiqued was, though.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Riki
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Gods Have Returned To This Wicked World!!!

I mean...

hhey bby want sum fuk?

(...please critique Lucilly Peterson)
Fiyori Senay

Version 7
Version 6
Version 5

ChatShit

My Credentials

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Since she's likely to be dead by the time you get to her, let's go with Jasmine King!
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Kermit
Member Avatar
eEeEEEeEEEeeEeeeee
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
henlo u

i would like one evrit tyalur pls!
"Kermit you are the guy in the horror movie that finds a book bound in human skin and decides to read out loud what is inside for fun" - some mean lady named Ruggahissy

i make art i think????

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Critiques · Next Topic »
Add Reply