Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The General Music Thread; Hipsters rejoice!
Topic Started: Nov 26 2013, 05:55 PM (975 Views)
Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kalopsia
Nov 29 2013, 07:25 PM
MurderWeasel
Nov 29 2013, 07:19 PM
Deamon
Nov 29 2013, 06:39 PM
Just heard Five Finger Death Punch's cover of House of the Rising Sun. Sounds close to the original but has the typical FFDP style which is cool. They did change New Orleans to Sin City so I'm thinking that was to make it more contemporary, still good none the less.
Which original, out of curiosity?
Oh no.

ONLY PAIN LIES DOWN THIS ROAD.
Posted Image
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Since it's a folk song it doesn't really have an original. But when I say original I mean the one by The Animals to be the since that's what made it popular.
Forrest Quin - At the Zoo
Bret Carter - On a date
Aliya Kimia Nemati - In Training
Arizona - Practicing
V6
V5

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cool! Makes sense, and yeah. I was curious if you meant The Animals' version (which I think has a certain claim to original for a lot of covers if they take the adjusted lyrics), the Bob Dylan version (which is not on YouTube, but has a claim to original since it had the chord progression The Animals used), or some ancient field recording.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Moved to GD on the ground that it is General Discussion rather than a spammy thread, the LoL thread was already here, and GD needs a purpose besides birthdays and introductions anyways.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Badb
Member Avatar
Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Album of the year, anyone?

Mine's a toss up between ...Like Clockwork and Matangi.
V5:
B035 - Ray Gilbert - DECEASED - Guy Fawkes Mask - Too Far Gone
G029 - Zoe Leverett - DECEASED - Machete - To Really Be Alone, To Pick At All the Bones
[/spoiler]
Quote:

[18:10] <Laurels> WWJD? Fuck corpses, apparently

Quote:

[15:16] <Naft> My college once nearly burned down because someone tried to make a bong out of dollar bills and the fire alarm didn't work

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow%27s_Harvest

I sorta liked this one. Though there were some good music from a bunch of acts this year.

Also good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflektor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memories
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Vampires_of_the_City

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ooh, been waiting for someone to ask.

Mine, at the moment, is Julia With Blue Jeans On by Moonface. It's a solo piano album that's really cool and distinct from everything else I've found this year, and the thing that's had me most excited.

Runner-up to Daft Punk for Random Access Memories. Lots of pretty good stuff this year, though little of it really grabbed me to the point of wanting to specially mention it.

Vampire Weekend's a weird one for me. I don't find them offensive, but they also make almost no impression on me whatsoever. I think it may be that I grew listening almost exclusively to Paul Simon, who they emulate in a lot of ways, which makes their music not as new and exciting to me as to others. At the same time, I'm really fond of Paul Simon's voice, which they don't have.

Also, anyone had a song of the year? I have a few that come close, but what's really been standing out there is Invisible off the frustratingly uneven new Dismemberment Plan album.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kalopsia
Dec 22 2013, 05:35 AM
Album of the year, anyone?
I'm torn between ...Like Clockwork and Bú-Tik
Bret Carter - On a date
Arizona - Practicing
V6
V5

Jace
Member Avatar
I knew a man from Nantucket
[ * ]

One of the songs we played at a party last Saturday. I played bass in the back (there literally was no room up front), so you don't actually see me much at all, but yeah.

Should be noted that I learned this and 4 other songs in 2 weeks, so if it sucks that'd be why <3
Edited by Jace, Jan 1 2014, 09:33 PM.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
After resisting for ages, I finally picked up Reflektor. Glad I did, too, because it's the first Arcade Fire album I've genuinely enjoyed the whole way through.
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Deamon
Member Avatar
Humans...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's official Limp Bizkit are my guilty pleasure band. Stupid Wes Borland and his stupid catchy riffs.
Bret Carter - On a date
Arizona - Practicing
V6
V5

Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I saw Her and Inside Llewyn Davis this weekend, and both movies have amazing soundtracks. Her has all its music done by Arcade Fire, something that drove my Arcade Fire loving brother up the wall when we saw it. Here's an example of the music they made for the movie, which has a different version on Reflektor.

Inside Llewyn Davis was about a folk singer in 1961, and was awesome because it had live singing by all the actors and allowed them to play all the songs in full. They sang a lot of traditional folks songs and did really amazing with them. Here's one featuring the lead actor and Marcus Mumford of Mumford and Sons. The movie also has an original song up for a Golden Globe, and you can listen to that one here.

I also recommend both movies because they were really good, but because of the topic of this thread, I recommend the soundtracks for them.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply