Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
General Video Game Discussion Thread; Speedrunning into walls since 2014
Topic Started: Nov 25 2013, 08:04 PM (14,314 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Moved to GD on the ground that it is General Discussion rather than a spammy thread, the LoL thread was already here, and GD needs a purpose besides birthdays and introductions anyways.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mimi
Dec 5 2013, 01:29 AM
You guys and your silly modern games.

I, on the other hand, have found out how to emulate PS2 games and the world is now my oyster. I'm never sleeping again.
The last game I played to completion was Dark Forces.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Santa-Sona
Dec 22 2013, 02:07 PM
I'm on the hand-me-down that my brother got at launch.

Are you guys leaving them on the carpet?
My brother's is still going strong from launch as well. A friend of ours, on the other hand, has been through at least two.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Man, Dark Forces and related games rock. Never played Jedi Knight, but I spent ages on all the others (even somehow beat the original Dark Forces after I coaxed my computer into emulating DOS). For a long time, Dark Forces was the only game I played.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rattlesnake
Feb 18 2015, 11:06 PM
The Dark Forces II speedrun at AGDQ 2015 was amazing. Highly recommend.
Watched this on and off while it was live, and highly second it if you're at all into the series. It is pretty amazing.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, I don't play games very much and even more rarely feel any real need to plug them, but I feel SOTF should be aware of Dark Scavenger. Dark Scavenger is a point and click adventure/turn-based combat/ethical dilemma in the form of a sci fi surreal black comedy with healthy doses of horror. Its premise involves you being thrown into an alien world, and while it eventually grants you the opportunity to sort of understand what's going on, by that point you've already blundered your way through most of the game. I feel like it's the sort of thing that is either really up your alley or really, really not. Fortunately, a demo exists for Steam.

It's a really short game--maybe four or five hours if you read everything (and you're gonna be reading a ton because it's basically a choose your own adventure book with art). It has pretty good replay value, though; when Tris played it we ended up hitting totally different events in some areas despite making similar choices. It also has a really good soundtrack, and for reasons unknown to mankind for this week the game costs five dollars but the game plus soundtrack costs three dollars and fourteen cents.

This is basically my favorite bizarre indie hipster game I've found recently, and it's what I made Tris play in exchange when he made me play Hatoful Boyfriend. I don't really know how to wrap this post so I guess I'll just say I recommend at least giving the demo a shot if any of the above sounds at all up your alley.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, in the wake of David Bowie's death, I discovered he was involved in the creation of a cyberpunk video game in 1999. I have no idea if it's any good, but for the next few days Square Enix is giving it away for free, and I figured folks might be interested or appreciate it. You need to give them some info like an address and such, but since it's free they don't ask for any credit card info and thus you can probably lie about everything else just fine.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Putting this here for slightly better visibility (as I buried the main post in Fun and Games so it's not visible to guests):

I have a bunch of Steam keys up for grabs for the community, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing. See linked thread for details and such.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
backslash
Sep 11 2016, 04:22 PM
Replying here so I don't derail the tropes thread:

MuderWeasel

Oh god, that third BR cover is the worst. There are a lot of things wrong with that edition, though, so maybe not the best tangent for this thread. I really, really love the first BR cover, though. It's incredibly iconic, and the optical illusion that is made super obvious in cover #2 is much more subtle. Never seen cover #4 before, but it's cool too.

Amusingly enough, that's the edition of the novel that I own. It's true that the translation can get pretty wonky at times (more than once, it refers to characters by the wrong name, which is confusing as hell when it happens during fight scenes) but there's also some cool Q&A with the author in the afterward. I have gotten some questions thanks to the cover, though.
Gonna reply anyways. :P

The other thing that's wrong with the edition, from the quick glance I gave it in bookstores, is that it's trying to double down on the Japaneseness of BR and capture the manga audience, with questionable results. It's probably not notable unless you're familiar with the original translation, but, for example, where the original goes "There was blood on her shirt" or "She thought she was a space warrior" the new one goes "There was blood on her sailor suit" or "She thought she was an anime space warrior." It's basically like "Psst! This is Japanese!" all the time where the original translation was not, and it's super distracting to me because it makes a lot of the stuff feel less natural--it adds this layer of observation from the outside that's not like that in the original (though the original translation has tons of its own problems, mostly grammatical).
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Is the road trip thing actually a big deal? I know one person who was really hoping they'd go whole hog and actually make (or at least let) you drive everywhere at great length and do a lot with the atmosphere through that.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I believe flash sales were discontinued due to the introduction of the refund system a few years back. The result of that is that currently the overall sale tends to be slightly better than the base sale in the past, but a notch or two worse than the best deals. It's worth poking around a bit to see how good the deal is (Cheapshark and many other sites track across platforms and give historical lows) because some devs like to put stuff on an actually-not-that-amazing rate in the main Steam sales now and will have it cheaper at random times throughout the year. I'll do some poking to see if there's anything super great on sale this time, though.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply