Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (21,073 Views)
NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
the bass and the tweeters make the speakers go to war
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay. So.

I see a distinct lack of Paris love in this thread and that's inexcusable. One of his more recent threads (that was unfortunately nommed by the cancer that was the V5 stagnation) actually had me stop reading, cover my mouth with a hand, and whisper "oh my god" aloud. It was one of two moments of reading V5 that had me genuinely feel something and be completely taken by surprise by events that took place in the thread.

Go read Paris. He's great!

Seconding Garrett Wilde, but that's not really a surprise at this point since I've plugged him since the podcast. I don't share Persona's enthusiasm for Finn Grant as much, but dude's been in some pretty incredible threads - he encounted both Joe Carrasco and Mara Montalvo at turning points in both of their stories - and he has a pretty good voice.

As a first time player, I can't really comment on what's different beyond "oh hey, these are pretty coherent overall".
A list of the dying, a list of the damned.

V6
V5
Future
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This was asked and answered on the first podcast episode, but I was wondering what you guys thought.

Melee weapons versus guns. Which has more impact? Which is better to write with?

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
backslash
Dec 10 2013, 12:47 PM
Ten more deaths and we'll be about a third of the way through the V5 kids :O
Woo!

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As Archer,

LANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WE'RE HALFWAY DONE ALREADY!?

Also - was super flattered at what some of you guys said in the top ten thread. It's put a perma-smile on my face.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So I really want to give big ups to this thread, because I have no idea where it's going or where it's going to end up and that is very VERY rare in this medium.

Props, D/N, Rattlesnake, and Violent-Medic.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Pacing in roleplay, too, is a weird concept. If I generalize, I can say that most play-by-post RPs are PvE - in that the main group of characters are all together, fighting off an outside force. There's less pressure on you to create a solid voice, and more of an understanding that the group is the important thing, not any one character.

SOTF doesn't have the same standards. Most of our story drama comes from internal strife of what it takes to survive versus external forces - players, player hunters, the terrorists egging you on, etc. Pacing means a completely different thing in a world where you have a chance of your arc completely ending twice every month, so you learn to either set yourself up for a short arc where you can die at any time, or learn to beg profusely for heroes.

I think the best stories in SOTF are stories that could end anytime, thematically. Going back and reading through Nick Reid and Kimberly Ngyuen, they had a narrative style and a story arc that could've absolutely ground to a halt due to rolls at any point, and they still would've been memorable, impactful characters. I think that's what I've learned the most from V5 - hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. If RNGsus decides that your time is up on the island, don't get caught in the open.

I've also learned to be more vocal and constructive in criticsm, as opposed to 'lol ur character is nub an u shuld quit sight'.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's also somewhat of a pressure cooker, because you feel like that you've made it this far, so there's the idea that what you're writing needs to be 'worthy' of the placement you're given. I find that whenever I write a post, I'm re-reading it twice over and making edits that I wouldn't have earlier on in the game.

I've always been, for lack of a better word, a YOLO poster. I just hammer it out in the reply box, click send, and go on my merry way. But the longer V5 goes for, the more invested I am in making sure that each post contributes to the story I've written so far and the eventual conclusion is satisfactory.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
We're definitely on our way.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It probably wouldn't be the Hansel/Theo fight because Theo and Hansel were pretty much enemies since the word go.

I agree re: Mirabella. Maybe her kill on Ian. Summer also flipped her shit, though, and in a pretty big way. In an IC standpoint, I think Summer's a little more impactful because it took Mirabella 7-8 days to snap, when Summer snapped in like 2.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was a blast hosting them, for sure, though the format could use some tweaking.

I think it'd be best to tighten the podcast up some, maybe limit it in size and scope. Each episode was four people and roughly an hour of content, which was a lot of fun to do and take part in, but it kind of dragged on in terms of production/editing.

I think scaling back the number of people and maybe keeping it to 20 minute cap would make it a lot more accessible, and also enable us to actually do like, a monthly 'cast instead of 'whenever five people have a random hour block of time'.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler
Mar 5 2015, 01:05 AM
I remember that being the goal for the Murdercasts but it didn't work out too well. Hopefully we should be able to get at least one out per month though yeah. After Toben and I have discussed it I'll probably put up a thread like the Murdercast had. Or bump it as an "under new management" sort of deal.
There's already something like that! It's seen some new action, too.

The issue with having one podcast every game day/one-a-month scheduling is that the nature of one-a-days means that you have no buffer since you need to keep your topics relevant to the ongoing situation. It also means that the host(s) in question will also have to be fairly impartial and very well read in order to be able to guide guests/generally shape how the podcast is going to be.

There's also an issue with site hosting: most free site hosting (soundcloud etc) have a limit cap of X amount of data and Y amount of length (on SoundCloud it's about an hour) so we'd need to find a reliable method of either uploading to listen or available to download.

In the 'off season', it's the perfect time to iron stuff out and sort through all of these issues.

I used this software for the episode I hosted for Rachel of Murdercast - it just parasites onto your Skype and records the call's Audio feed. Editing software I used was Adobe Audition, but most free audio editors are pretty great - Audacity is very very popular and also semi-powerful, can save in whatever format you want with the right codecs, and also looks like complete and total garbage.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's definitely worth writing up an outline as to how you'd think it'd work, RC. I'm not sure what the Mini Staff's plans are re: individually run AUs yet (it's not something we've discussed at any real length) but it never hurts to get feedback in terms of how the AU would run.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

in a setting that prizes character interaction over masturbatory navel-gazing, an overt fixation on realism can be detrimental to the overall purpose.
I'm a large advocate and fan of shooting down the idea that SOTF is a realistic or has realism as themes, but I'm also a big fan of equating dramatics and trauma with contrasts to the real world. A peak moment in a character's story (ie a sad moment) is only truly effective if the reader has a contrast to compare it to - a few threads ago, ol' Jack Newton was happy, and now he's sunk super low!

That's also, to go on to a bit of a tangent, what makes certain villains successful/'realistic' in popular opinion - they had moments where they weren't being total toolbags and reducing other characters into fleshy fluid sacs, and the reader can draw contrasts. That's where setting and grounding a character in realism can definitely come in handy to relate to an audience, and I think there's a definite parallel to some of V5's more enjoyable reads to how realistic they managed to exist within a real world setting.

V6
V5
Future

NotAFlyingToy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yugikun
Sep 24 2016, 06:13 AM
It isn't? My layout is two separate observation rooms. The bit in the middle is the hallway that patients enter each room from, and where the doctors can enter their own observation rooms.

EDIT: Also, the squares are doors. I should probably have drawn this map better.
GOD DAMNIT YUGI.

V6
V5
Future

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply