Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (20,525 Views)
backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm personally enjoying the duo of Jaquilyn Locke and Joachim Lovelace. They both have nice, distinctive voices and I think their teamwork dynamic works very well.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
On the subject of gun recoil, I'd kind of like to see someone end up with a bruised shoulder or accidentally knock themselves in the jaw from not expecting the recoil or holding the gun improperly. As someone who shot skeet competitively when I was younger, that's something I've seen fairly often and it doesn't happen a whole lot in SOTF.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, a punt gun is like a 12 foot shotgun.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ten more deaths and we'll be about a third of the way through the V5 kids :O
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Since this is something I've been mulling over lately: Crossbows vs. Bow and arrow. Which do you prefer? Which one has been handled better/more realistically in SOTF? What do you like to see with either?
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There is no B012 in V5.

Edit: ninja'd
Edited by backslash, Jan 31 2014, 02:24 PM.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ciel
Jul 29 2014, 12:12 PM
I have also learned that waiting for rolls this close to the end of the game is fucking nerve wracking holy shit.
Seems like almost every roll since the halfway point, there's been a panic stampede as soon as they go up. Does surviving past midgame just feel like you've hit the home stretch and make you feel more invested in your character(s)?
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dude. Once this round of deaths gets done, we'll be down to the top 15.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe one of Mirabella's kills, both for the betrayal angle and to show how the game changes you. Girl snapped hard.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Glancing back over some earlier deaths, I think Theo killing Xavier and/or Katarina killing Steven could also work for the betrayal theme, since their big point is that even if you try to give someone a pass, there's nothing stopping them from killing you anyway.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In theory, that would work out to about one every month. Seems doable, assuming enough people can get together.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Mar 5 2015, 07:53 AM
I used this software for the episode I hosted for Rachel of Murdercast - it just parasites onto your Skype and records the call's Audio feed. Editing software I used was Adobe Audition, but most free audio editors are pretty great - Audacity is very very popular and also semi-powerful, can save in whatever format you want with the right codecs, and also looks like complete and total garbage.
Word of warning, in my experience Audacity has a tendency to crash if whatever you're recording goes over about an hour or two.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ciel
Mar 5 2015, 02:52 PM
As far as the latest iteration, I like the murdercast. I think the most recent one, the one Naft hosted, was pretty awesome. It did not feel scripted, everything was very fluid and the guests really worked well together. I'd love to see more of that sort of roundtable discussion where everyone knows your name. I also would love another episode with a bunch of staff members crammed in, that provided a lot of interesting discussion.

If you're going for a 'topic-of-the-week-talkshow' spiel, though... I don't like the idea of there being an episode each in-game day for the same reasons Naft outlined. The idea of a monthly podcast works better and would probably be way more smoother, like you can at least plan out some of the scheduled topics and save room for recent happenings that way.

The only problem is the pacing of the podcast itself. The podcast followed something similar to the 'talk show' setup in the episodes Rachel hosted and the original series back in ol v3. They feel... It's a bit hard to explain now without going back and listening, but I always got the impression that they were planned ahead of time yet Laissez-faire with the chosen topics and guests? (Sorry I am coming off of a hangover it's hard to put words together...)

Personally a hybrid of 'talk show' and 'casual skype chat' is the best path. I'd totally be a guest on that show.

I have a few suggestions too but unfortunately I don't have time to type all of that up. Kyle, dude, if you're the conductor on this train just hit me up and we can talk.
As I remember it, we were given the questions shortly before starting the call so that we could make notes of our responses, but other than that it was unscripted. Personally, I think a loosely-structured format like that would work best, so that the talk would be natural but on-topic.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A lot of my characters are inspired by other fictional characters from video games, books, anime, etc. I pick a couple traits from a character I like and try to grow them into something a bit different, so to speak. Usually they start really going their own direction after I've gotten a couple threads done with them.
Characters

Others

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Frogue
Jul 16 2015, 09:35 AM
Question: to what extent does/should a character's profile comprise essential reading for that character?

When writing someone, should you assume that the people who are reading your character will have read the profile, and are familiar with their backstory etc., rr should you simply include relevant backstory details in the main story, as they become relevant? Before setting out to read a character, do you first read their profile? Do you think characters work better when their story is "complete", or when there are relevant (and possibly necessary) details in the profile, and the two compliment one another?
I personally try to read a character's profile first, since it can give you an idea of what influences that character to act certain ways that the narrative might not spell out. It also helps if I haven't interacted with that character before, since it tells you what their interests are and what sort of relationships they have with their classmates, etc., to help figure out how my character would feel and act towards them. I don't know if you should write with the assumption that everyone will read your character's profile, but that doesn't mean you have to explicitly spell out every detail of their backstory in a post either.
Characters

Others

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply