Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (21,067 Views)
Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

So hey, let's give a booster to some site discussion since there's been a bit of a lull 'cause of the crash.

What do you guys think of V5 so far? How's it compare to other versions? Who're some people/characters to watch?
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I second most of these, though Maynard Hurst, Michelle Wexler and Sean Mulcahy take my favorite slots.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Apologies if this is frowned upon, I didn't intend to violate rules/common courtesy.

For the record I don't mind if you take the Tower because I was doing a oneshot there anyway so we can both have what we want. :).

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think I've learned a lot from V5. Like Mara, my previous writing endeavors were much lower-level on the quality scale, so I think V5's been a fantastic learning experience. I'd say my biggest growths have been in development and arc-writing. From V5 (and to an extent TV2) to REvo, my ability to characterize my kid and give them a story has been greatly improved, so I'd say that's mostly what I learned from V5.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

A huge round of applause for our endgamers, and everyone else in Version 5, for a really fun experience and a great edition of SOTF. Great job, everyone!

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Personally I want to see a conceptually diverse cast. I just hope everything is well-rounded and no two characters fill a needlessly similar niche.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So far Cicada's Irene has made a good impression on me, as has Nadia Riva by Laurels. For the most part I agree with Toben though, things'll pick up first before we see the really great stuff.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So what do you guys think of V6 pregame so far?

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Another question since my last one went over so well:

What do you guys draw inspiration from? People you know? Random traits? A specific hobby?

Personally, I construct a semi-cliché archetype of a concept, such as Alice being a shy artsy girl or Henry being a perky Goth, and then spin it a little to make it my own unique construction.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Everything Georgia Lee Day has done thus far has been strong. She's got a defining voice and no small amount of depth, and feels very real and deep. I kind of both hate her and feel bad for her, since she seems like one who struggles internally a lot.

Vinny/Enza is a really interesting character as well; not only did I have an extremely enjoyable thread with them, but I've followed everything else they've done as well. They're charming, funny and serious all at once.

While Irene was in play, she stood out a lot to me. She was strange and funny, but kept it manageable, so it didn't seem excessive. Her writing was also top-notch at creating a strong characterization.

Noah Whitley is an odd concept, but I think it works. His oneshots had me giggling with their imagery, at least, so that was fun.

Caleb Diamond has possibly the strongest first post in V6 pregame so far, though. I don't wanna spoil it for those who haven't read it yet, but I definitely recommend his first thread, it slayed me.

Overall, V6 pregame's had a lot of strong works, and I can't think of anyone who isn't in some way good. All the characters have quirks and personalities that excite me when I think of their island time, which is a great sign in my opinion.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Animate Dead!

So I guess I can just update Yugi's old question; what're a couple characters who you've been enjoying in pregame thus far?

Also, different question: weapons are obviously a big part of SOTF, plus suggestions are up now. How much impact do you think an assigned weapon has on a character's arc?

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This briefly came up in chat, but I wanted to discuss it a little more in-depth. On the topic of profile lengths.

How long should a profile be? Obviously, with the current expectations on the amount of detail, a profile is going to be longer than it would've been in prior versions. But how long is too long? What would be the effect of imposing some sort of minimum/maximum word count? Is there such a thing as too much detail? We can all tell when a profile is too short; the moderator doing the review will invariably note a lack of detail. But can there be problems with excessive detail as well?

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I set fi-ii-ire, to the island

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So on a more topical note, I thought this preview was interesting. From some of the description, I think that the chapel is actually part of a retirement home or something along those lines.

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
We talk a lot about villains in SOTF, since they tend to be such strong motivators and are usually either very popular or very unpopular.

What do you guys think about heroes, though? What makes a good hero, what are some common pitfalls, and do you think heroes are easier to write? Or harder?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply