Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (20,571 Views)
BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I thought the lack of space was a typo :/
The Living:

Matt Vartoogian -- Weapon: Unarmed -- "This isn't a game. This is evil." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Cassandra Black -- Weapon: Kama -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Virgil Jefferson-Davis -- Weapon: Saiga-12 -- "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
PACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING
The Living:

Matt Vartoogian -- Weapon: Unarmed -- "This isn't a game. This is evil." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Virgil Jefferson-Davis -- Weapon: Saiga-12 -- "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think a big thing here is that you don't get control over external watershed moments. Deaths are random, so "big moments" need to come in more ways than just character deaths/kills/etc, but you also need to figure out how to pace it so that when those do come up, you can't hand wave them away because you're too close to another watershed moment.
The Living:

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The business term for what Rattle said is Minimal Viable Product (MVP). Every character at this point has probably hit their MVP, and every new theme/development/etc is bonus on that.
Edited by BROseidon, Aug 10 2014, 07:46 AM.
The Living:

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler
May 19 2015, 06:07 PM
Does every second character really need to have a lawyer parent? There's more of them now than there were in Seattle.
Maybe it has something to do with nobody having any idea what sort of industries/companies exist in Kingman?
Edited by BROseidon, May 19 2015, 11:50 PM.
The Living:

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
To elaborate on that further:

Now that I'm getting the wheels turning on my characters, I need to figure out what their parents do. For Seattle, it was relatively easy; I didn't have to think about it and managed to get a decent set of working professionals (using a lawyer for SI reasons notwithstanding). For v6, I had to actually go look up what sort of shit exists in Kingman, and there really isn't much, especially if you want to write a kid who is upper-middle class.
The Living:

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think that location severely informs how one interacts with the world in a bunch of nuanced and unnuanced ways, sometimes too nuanced to really express in a forum RP. How I'm going to write my gay character in v6 is going to be hugely different from how I wrote Matt, and a huge chunk of that is driven by location (Matt wouldn't really make sense in Kingman, nor would my concept for v6 make sense in Seattle)
Edited by BROseidon, May 22 2015, 04:26 PM.
The Living:

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler
May 22 2015, 05:25 PM
BROseidon
May 22 2015, 04:26 PM
I think that location severely informs how one interacts with the world in a bunch of nuanced and unnuanced ways, sometimes too nuanced to really express in a forum RP.
Not really, considering the writing standard supposedly held here. And to go "it's an RP, thus not really worth the effort" is just a pointless attitude to take into SOTF.
I'm not saying it's because of a lack of effort, it's that reality is super, super complicated, and I don't think it's good writing to spend the time to explore 1000000 concurrent themes that simultaneously exist in pivotal moments of our lives.
The Living:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply