Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (20,551 Views)
Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's one I'm surprised hasn't come up: Paris/Cho killing Katy.

There's just a whole slew of horrible things that the terrorists want to encourage happening in that scene. That person comforting and protecting you? Maybe they're just using you to get ahead. The one who says they can lead you to your friends? Maybe it's a trap. The one going nuts and attacking people for no reason? Maybe they were right all along.

Real chilling stuff. I think it'd be a good pick, personally.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Everything I never knew I wanted out that ending. Fabulous job, folks!
SotF Characters

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cicada Days
Apr 9 2015, 01:51 PM
I'm a bit concerned about the potential nature of the character roster I'm coming up with. Specifically, I want to do something very close to my heart, very personal and built from myself in the (not so recent) past, partially for catharsis and reflective purposes and partially for the classic 'what would I be like in these circumstances?' hypotheticals. However, that led me to conceptualizing a character inherently built in with major trigger warnings in terms of gender identity problems/depressive to borderline suicidal tendencies. He's a heavy character and one I wanted to get an opinion from the handler community on whether it would be wise/appropriate for me to try out.
This kind of thing happens a lot, and mostly it comes down to "how comfortably do you think you can write/represent what you're dealing with?"

Gender, sexuality, ethnicity, mental health, etc. are big concepts that tend to come up pretty frequently in creation here. I would say as long as you feel personally comfortable with writing/representing an issue, give it a crack, and be ready to take in feedback over the course of profile edits with staff and any critiques or informal notes you ask for from other handlers over the course of the game. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going after a heavy subject, as long as you feel confident and comfortable with it.

In terms of what I'd like to see, I'unno! We've got a pretty diverse cast so far. Selfishly, I'd like to see more baseball kids, wrestlers, dancers, theater kids, and roleplayers just because it'd give my crew more folks to connect with easily, but there are so many groups you can slip into and archetypes you can help flesh out at this stage because of how broad the proposed character set-up is. I'm interested in seeing something like the Robotics team take shape, since it's interesting to me and not something that tends to get a pre-game spotlight.

Mostly, though, I wanna see characters that are important and interesting to their handlers, I think. One of the main things I've learned by branching my media consumption out a bit in the past few months is that there is a ton out there I never knew I wanted, and that you can engage me in just about any idea as long as it's got passion and execution behind it. I'm excited by the potential of this cast so far for that reason, because I haven't the slightest clue how it'll turn out, but I know it'll be an interesting ride regardless, and the most important thing is that everyone has fun with whatever they're doing.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think folks should write whatever they wanna write as long as it's within the reasonable guidelines of being a realistic human being and not worry too much about demographics or what other people are doing. Writing stuff that engages and interests you is the first priority, otherwise you're just gonna burn out as a writer. If that means we end up with more rich kids or geeks or goths or certified circus acrobats for whatever reason then we've just got a lot of people who wanna write about that thing, and that seems fine.

I don't really have a dog in this particular iteration of the race since I have no lawyer kids and most of my kids are lower class to maybe upper middle class at best, at this point. At the same time, I don't see much point in getting fussed about the setting of pre-game when, looking past versions, 99.9% of kids are never going to reference it outside of their personal lives and connections that could broadly be placed in the majority of cities and places in the United States. The Island itself is where these characters are going to see most of their development and storytime, since that's the actual game, and outside of extreme circumstances I don't see the city we start in having a whole lot of impact on that, based what we've seen in past versions.

If the actual game were to occur in or somehow be centered on the starting city? Sure, I could more strict adherence to the setting being more than a nice little bit of flair. Since pre-game is a developmental period that's mostly about the characters we're interacting with, not where we're interacting with them, and the pre-game location functionally kinda exists just because we need one, bending over what you personally are interested in writing and abandoning concepts outside of fringe cases where you just can't make it work(And I've been there, Alex is going through heavy reworks for just this reason) seems a bit counter-productive to the whole point of roleplaying, at least as I see it. Almost all of these characters are never gonna see Kingman again, just as almost all of V5's characters never saw Seattle again, just as the majority of V4's characters never saw St. Paul again, etc. Where they're from is going to have almost zero impact, at least in any sense that I've been able to tell in every version of Main and Mini I've read. If there's a problem there, it's something way more pronounced and systemic than profiles and concepts and background details like shifting a parent's job or social class can ever address by themselves without a pretty fundamental restructuring of what's considered both in character development and in influence on the Island.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think part of this is me being pretty worn out all together, since I think we're mostly agreeing, I'm just doing a poor job of explaining my position. Though there is one thing I wanted to note:
MurderWeasel

I just can't conceive of writing a character whose background is so key to their concept as to be immutable yet whose location is an afterthought.

"Location is an afterthought," I agree, but my point is that we're not dealing with locations that are so unique and so rigid in their setting that you can't logically fit the vast majority of logical, realistic concepts that fit within the mold of "American High School Student" within them. I'm not going to say there aren't examples of this, but I can't think of a single character off the top of my head in V4-V5 that simply could not work in St. Paul, Seattle, or Kingman. I could make Garrett fit in Kingman, and Garrett...Garrett sucks as a concept, man. He's the worst. With a little bit of poking around and editing, I could make Vahka fit here as well, and he's probably the most location-dependent character I've written so far. I could put Ty in Seattle, Austin, St. Louis, St. Paul, San Diego, Raphael, or any other number of American cities. The reasons and the back-drop change, but the character core doesn't.

One of the issues often cited, and part of what started this very discussion, is that Kingman is a largely blue collar area in its own workforce, and so the middle class should be more pronounced. While I can understand the logic and agree from a research perspective, it's not terrible unrealistic for a white collar worker to live in Kingman with the proper research. One big reason to live in Kingman that's super relevant to a family with one or more children in school? The parents working in or around Las Vegas.

Vegas is a long commute from Kingman, definitely(Assuming everything goes right, you're looking at at least an hour and a half of travel time both ways), but the route I'm seeing on Google Maps avoids the city's most notorious traffic spots, and even those are not as bad as most larger cities outside of holidays and weekends, from what I've read. Moreso, mega-commuting(Commuting 90+ both ways a day) is a popular way to cut down on costs. While it tacks on travel time and gas expenses, it can allow one to take high wages from an affluent area and spend them in an area where the cost of living is lower. This is very pronounced in the Kingman/Las Vegas case, where if you're in the market for a luxury home, you can get roughly double the square footage 3/4ths the price if you buy in Kingman as opposed to Las Vegas. Most of Kingman's luxury residences are solitary or in gated communities that are considerably smaller than their Vegas counterparts, which is attractive to those who lead more distant lifestyles. Most importantly, Vegas is considered something of a gamble when it comes to raising children and whether it's a suitable environment for growth is a controversial enough subject that it's fairly easy to see why someone would seek other environments while hanging on to income boost working in Vegas would provide.

Kingman's not the first city that pops into mind when it comes to commuting in Las Vegas, but its property values seem to be competitive in the region from what I've seen, and from what I've seen on local discussion boards and such it's regarded as a great place to live if you've got money. With family history on-board, it's not much of a stretch to see why an affluent family would buy a home in or around Kingman and send their children to school there. It's done in real life, and there are solid reasons for why. It's something that requires work to make fit, but it's by no means implausible.

I guess what I'm trying to say, at the end of this long-winded and scattered example, is that setting shouldn't define your character. It should complement it. Why your characters are where they are can make a difference, certainly, but it's not so much of a difference that it changes who they are. Write the concept you want, and then use setting details to flesh them out. Use the setting to support what you're writing, rather than chunking out certain concepts as "unrealistic" because of the setting, since that's both a disservice to the character and the diversity of the vast majority of settings. There's a lot of rich stuff to dig into for Kingman and it shouldn't be simplified down to what kind of characters "should" be there. There's lots of wiggle room for odd people and strange concepts with a little bit of spit and polish, as long as you don't violate fundamental things like laws(of the state, federal, county, city, and physics variety). Kingman is a city with an estimated population of 28,393. If our biggest cast ever was multiplied ten times over, they'd eek into being a statistically relevant depiction of the city's population as a whole. Our work is, by nature, on a tiny, tiny scale, and getting turned off a concept purely because it doesn't fit the setting at first glance is a bad reason to abandon an idea in my book, and one that's going to stifle and frustrate you creatively as a writer. Absolutely do the work and the research to justify what you have, but don't let the setting's overt tones tell you as a writer or roleplayer what to do. The setting is there to serve and inspire you, not the other way around.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
D/N
May 24 2015, 03:50 PM
Like, let's take a prospective handler that I promise isn't based off anyone. Hey handler, how many characters do you have for v6? Three? That's cool. How many of them are extremely liberal? Huh. All of them, you say? All three kids in rural Arizona? Yeah, I know that high schoolers are more liberal than old people, but we're still in RURAL FREAKING ARIZONA, and even in the entire state of Arizona kids are only about a 60/40 Left/Right political split. You're sure you don't want to broaden your horizons just a tad, and make more authentic characters at the same time? Please?
Take this with a grain of salt, especially in rural areas. Statistical representations of youth political affiliations are notoriously slick because 9 out of 10 just don't care.

I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of using things like politics/religion/race/etc. as an authenticity check. Ultimately, these are characters whose heads you have to get into and potentially stay in for a long, long time, years if they go far enough. So that head should be one that you're comfortable staying in for the long haul, and it should be one that you can represent realistically for the long haul. Taking up a character aspect in the name of "authenticity" or "diversity" that you can't necessarily handle under those terms is a really bad idea. If that means you've got five or six liberal kids in the Deep South? Cool. Five or six far right conservatives in along the coast? Cool. Push your boundaries where you're comfortable, sure, but pressure to "broaden your horizons" into a mindset someone might not be able to write, let alone want to write, seems like a quick path to burn-out.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think it sorta depends on what level you're reading a character on, honestly. I'll casually read characters that I enjoy without getting super into, if that makes sense? For those characters, I'm probably not going to read the profile, or go hunting for their pre-game or anything, but I'll smile when they pop up on the Island in other threads I'm reading, and I think you can enjoy a character like that without going deep in the profile.

You can also regard the Island as a sort of microcosm and read most characters from start to finish without needing to look at the profile. There are certain things that will enhance your understanding of a character in the profile, probably, but I don't think you absolutely need it to get a solid enough chunk of the experience most characters are providing.

Now, when I critique characters, or get really into them, I definitely read the profile, and I consider the profile both an essential reading and writing tool for really understanding and building characters. When I look at a character critically, I should be able to look at their actions and trace some root of it, even if it's a thin one, back to what's in their profile. Not necessarily "I should look at Billy Joe's profile and understand he's capable of killing someone," but more "I should be able to look at why Billy Joe killed Bobby Sue, look at his profile, and understand those motivations as a part of him." If someone attacks a player as revenge for their friends, I shouldn't look at their profile and see them described as a loner who doesn't care about people, and if I do I hope there's an interim Island experience that explains this change using elements present in Billy Joe's profile.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
At some point between TV2 and V6 something broke in me and I became a madwoman. Maybe it's just because all of my V6 characters have pretty detailed family lives that I like to dig into and explain in the profile, but all of my profiles are 6000+ words this time.

Don't be like me.

I don't want to be like me. ;_;

The ideal profile for me as a reader is somewhere between 2000-3000 words long. I pray for the day I return to those grounds and lift this curse.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bikriki
Jan 12 2016, 03:33 PM
@people who write long profiles,

do you read the ultra-long profiles of other handlers?
Yep. I actually read profiles more now that I write more detailed ones. I think this is a side effect of my critique style, probably: I like to dig into profiles and find explanations for why things happened there. I like seeing stuff in profiles used to the fullest. I read the profiles of everybody I intend to write with, probably multiple times, and if it's a pretty involved scene I'll probably be doing it every time I post. It's just how my weird brain works, I guess.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yugikun
Jan 12 2016, 10:40 PM
Also, may as well ask this question one last time before final regs go up. What are some cool threads/characters who you've seen this version? How good do you think V6 is going to be?
V6 is looking really good to me! I can only think of a couple characters I've read that aren't really connecting with me so far.

In particular, I'm really vibing on Alvaro, GLD, Fiyori, Bradley, Cristo, Michael, Darius, Adelaide, Jane, Noah, Jasper, Bernie, Clarice, Nate...

Probably more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. There's a lot of good stuff going on this version.

As far as unsolicited reviews go, the idea seems kinda eh to me personally, it's why I'm pretty firmly in the "don't request critiques of kids that aren't your own" camp. And thinking about that has kinda made my brain wonky on even stuff like Readathons, so I'm probably not the right audience for it. But hey, do what you do, man.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Can we replace the BKA food with just like, a signed "Hang In There" poster and a heartfelt personal message on a walkman from Boris? I feel like that would be v. motivating.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just

I'm so happy this occurred you guys

I don't know how to properly express the emotions I'm feeling over this and how everyone involved pulled it off but it's some good shit :D
SotF Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply