Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (20,570 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Burned Handler

Tacking on things that make no sense just for the sake of standing out is pure lazy writing, however, and the kind of thing profiles ought be denied for.

Thank you, TBH, for your usual dose of rancorous realism.

I'd actually like to second DocBalance. Part of this is personal preference--for me, the island-side of things holds my interest, and pre-game tends to be little more than a fun distraction--but in general I believe the location just provides a nice outline of where you should ground yourself. The important thing is being able to write a character you'll have fun with. Yeah, getting to drop some St. Paul knowledge during V4 was fun, but it was just a nice bonus to an already-good interaction. People are people no matter where you go, and you can make pretty much any background conform to Kingman if you're willing to do a cursory amount of research. So what if the character you put forth doesn't technically fit into what Kingman is supposed to be, as long as it's a solid character in the end. The pleasure of SotF, at least for me, is in designing a character and seeing what they do when exposed to the various intense pressures of the island, as well as how they react to the motives and actions of the characters around them. It creates this incredibly bizarre, compelling writing that invigorates me.

People like TBH delight in doing this intensive research that produces authentic Kingman natives with realistic experiences, while some people wanna have their spoiled lawyer-child wandering Kingman until it's peer-murdering time. The styles don't need to be in opposition; they're just different approaches to characters and writing.

I'd actually like to expand on the idea of real vs. fake towns, though, because I think that's a really interesting discussion. However, I'd need a brief segue; are the islands/locations of the various SotF games actually supposed to be real locations, are they based in real locations, or are they just fabrications?
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I obviously can't speak for Bro, TBH, but maybe he was musing that in a setting that prizes character interaction over masturbatory navel-gazing, an overt fixation on realism can be detrimental to the overall purpose.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
To be honest, every one of my characters this round is kind of based on a pastiche of previous characters I've written/interacted with with their backgrounds heavily influenced by people I know in real life.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1) I'm honored that I managed to make both entries.

2) actually with a little bit of digging it seems straight up villain fights are fairly uncommon. I think this has something to do with SotF's general structure; it's best to keep major killers exclusive so they can act as a form of character disposal when rolls inevitably come due, and as a result their their plot arcs tend to avoid each other (since it's hard for two killers to be present at the same death) and end up more tightly intertwined with certain heroic characters (Cody Jenson and Adam Dodd bring to mind). The reasons for the two exceptions you listed are a) Maxwell and Raidon had philosophical and personal reasons to clash and there plot arcs were left relatively uncluttered by the mass exodus of escapees in V4 b) Travis, Tyler, and Hansel coincidentally clashed in what was almost a throwaway thread (that ended up being fairly pivotal to all their plot arcs, which is one of the reasons I love SotF) so their reunion was nicely explosive.

I'm pretty sure there are some exceptions to this rule (which someone more familiar with the site would be better qualified to address), but major villains rarely clash, just due to the way plot arcs develop as rolls go on. Killers don't end up butting heads until end-game, but even then since rolls randomize who dies when straight-up villain fights remain rare, and the best stories are told between a character who has a grudge against the killer and the killer in question.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think it almost has to be essential reading for the kids since it gives you an idea about why they might know each other? Especially given the side of Kingman: the idea that these kids don't know each other at all or can't recognize each other is laughable for a town this size. I prefer to give people expansion pack pasts as the plot develops, though, so I have to read the profile so I can come up with those kind of ideas.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not if I retool one of my characters to be an entrancing megalomaniacal madman who does crime on the streets of Cochise.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Technically, all but one of us is going to die.

Unless...

@TBH, you wanna just start lighting everything on fire?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Guys, come on now. We didn't start the fire. It was always burning, since the world's been turning.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Guys, can we please cool it. This discussion's getting a little heated.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Staff ETA for V6?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Game goal: have a character meet up with Boris and share a sad drink.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Grim Wolf

Jul 7 2016, 10:50 AM
Game goal: have a character meet up with Boris and share a sad drink.

tbh same

Race beings 8/13

SO PUMPED.
Edited by Grim Wolf, Jul 21 2016, 12:27 AM.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's why all of characters are secretly pregnant drug addicts. I just don't mention it in the profile to save staff the headache!

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Especially Alex.

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MK, I've only got 3. Who are the other 2?

V6 Players

V5 Players

V4 Players

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply