Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (20,549 Views)
KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lizzie Bean=Lesbian, yeah.

And I think Greta Laye=great lay.

Props to Laurie for that thread, by the way. It made my night. It's fun to read Noah's creative process. X3
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Humiliating things I caught you guys saying

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Posted Image

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
On a side note... it's been a while since I've done one of these.

I kind of came to a revelation last night, this time about disadvantages. Specifically, about phobias and allergies, and why they tend to be iffy. I think the real reason why is because a lot of people don't understand how huge those two things are when it comes to their lives both prior and during their time on the island, and how significantly impacted by them their characters would actually be.

I personally have written three characters for SOTF that explicitly have some kind of phobia: Carol (water/drowning), Katie (dogs), and Bella (blood-injection-injury). I actually happen to like them as disadvantages! Phobias are pretty common, but they can give a lot to work with if you do them right. I've never written a character with an allergy, I don't think (I have a character with asthma, though, if that counts?), but I think a character dealing with them would be interesting, as long as, again, done right.

Here's the thing, though: writing a character with a phobia or allergy requires a bit of thought.

I think that people in general, not just in SOTF, treat them as nondescript personality or bodily quirks when it comes to writing characters. Something that, admittedly, I'm also somewhat guilty of. However, the reality is, these things can change what your character is capable of.

Let's, for example, say that you have a character allergic to peanuts. Great! They'll just have to avoid peanuts, then. Easy, right? Eh, not so much. Peanuts are ingredients in a lot of things, for one. Peanut oil is often used in cooking; heck, Five Guys Burger and Fries happily touts that they use 100% peanut oil for their fries. Peanuts are also used for a lot of things not meant for human consumption, such as bird seed, pet food, some types of cosmetics, and other things. If your character has a peanut allergy, it means they will have to be careful about, as an example, what restaurants they go to. Again, peanut oil is commonly used in cooking, and even if they don't, there's a possibility that they have dishes that outright use them. Don't order them, then? Still a chance of cross-contamination, such as a bit of oil being stuck on a knife that wasn't cleaned properly. Luckily, servers have to pay attention if you say you have one, and if they don't, the manager can fire them. Still, the point remains: if you have an allergy, it does require a bit of thought to make sure you don't suffocate.

By the way, peanuts are the most common source of food-induced anaphylaxis, which means that your throat will constrict if you come into contact with them. This can be fatal. Even if you don't suffer that, you're still in for a bad time. You might have digestive problems, a rash, itchiness in the mouth or throat, and shortness of breath (source). Point being, you know how in fiction allergies are sometimes treated as "You'll get a rash and sneeze a lot, but you'll be fine"? Depending on the severity, it can be fatal. Even if it isn't that severe, it'll make your life suck a ton, a lot more than you'd think.

What about phobias, then? Let's say you're afraid of dogs to the point of it being a genuine phobia. Okay, so avoid them? Well, dogs are everywhere. They are a popular pet, after all. What happens when you, say, walk to the supermarket and there's someone out walking their dog on the way there? And it's a very, very friendly dog. Well, avoidance is one of the symptoms of a phobia. Meaning, if you see a dog on your way to the supermarket, there's a chance that it'll make your life difficult the next time you head over there. You might be scared of running into it (or a different dog) again, and take a different route. Or only go with someone else. Or find yourself going to a different supermarket. As another example: scared of spiders? Well, you might not want to go down into the basement, since there's an off-chance that there might be a ton, waiting... yeah.

Phobias aren't just "this makes me uncomfortable" or "I'm frightened of this", either. It's often "If I so much as see a dog, I will get anxious, and may even have a panic attack". Yup, phobias are classified as an anxiety disorder. Personally, I'm a little wigged out by spiders. I don't like them crawling on or around me. Likewise, I tend to tense up when I see a dog running towards me and barking. However, just because I'm scared of them doesn't mean I have a phobia of them. I can appreciate spiders for the fact that they eat pests, and find them pretty. And anyone who knows me knows I love dogs. Really, these are normal things to be afraid of, since it's kind of a primal thing. If I feel spiders crawling around on my arm or see a strange dog I've never seen before running towards me (even if it turns out it's friendly). of course I would be afraid, since I still have those caveman instincts. However, if I'm avoiding going to the supermarket because I saw a dog there and had a panic attack, or if I can't go into my basement because of spiders, that's when we start getting into phobia territory.

It's doubly worse if you have a phobia of blood, needles, getting injured, or all three. These are unique in that their blood pressure drops. Meaning, you might pass out if you encounter, say, a puddle of blood and you have a phobia of it. It can also effect, for example, whether or not you'd go to the doctor. Many people with these phobias tend to avoid doing so out of fear of, say, getting shots, which can be harmful if it turns out they have an illness that can be fatal. After all, no one wants to pass out each time a doctor approaches them with a needle, do they?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, allergies and phobias can be fun disadvantages! However, please do a little research on them if you decide to use them! They will change things in ways you may not realize at first, which is good for opening up possibilities for threads, but will genuinely make your kids' lives difficult.

Uh, discuss phobias and allergies, I guess? *waves hands*
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I considered writing a phobia but I was too scared of the idea.

*claps*

Well played.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
V6 superhero AU gooooooooo.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know there's still things I need to reply to, but I'm going to jump in on this.

Admittedly, Ems' profile is super long because I had a feeling certain elements of her backstory (specifically her narcolepsy and her prepper background) had the potential to become iffy, so I tried to elaborate and put as much detail as I could possibly put about both those elements and... well, everything else. As you can see by Turtle's critique, I overcompensated and it did NOT end well. XD

To me, it's a "put what you need to" thing. Some details are important, while others aren't. I honestly feel that yes, there is such a thing as "too detailed". I think it's less a length thing and more of a flexibility thing. While I often have an idea of minor background bits ahead of time, I like to have enough room to be able to flesh out characterization, why and why not they like things, what they are and are not good at in their particular hobbies, who are their best buddies in the whole wide world, and so on. I think while certain bits of those types do need to be elaborated on in the profile, I feel like it's good to keep some of those details "headcanon" or flesh it out as the game progresses.

Long profiles can be both a good and bad thing, in my opinion. Good, because the person is thinking things through and has a lot of things to say about their kids! Bad, because things might get too lengthy. Of course, some profiles can be shorter or longer depending on what actually needs to be explained. Using another one of my kids, Alex's is actually one of my shorter profiles. This is largely because, to use a phrase I had used during V5 final regs at one point, "Alex's life hasn't been particularly exciting". While she's supposed to be a quirky person, she's lived a pretty normal life outside of that, and there wasn't anything huge to address beyond her personality, hobbies, and other info that is necessary no matter what.

I think it also has to do with the fallacy that "longer equals better" that comes up from time to time, which can also be an issue with actual IC posts (again, guilty as charged X_X). Learning to keep things as brief as possible is a good skill to teach yourself when writing at all, and it's something I've been trying to exercise more often. Like profiles, some posts can be long by their very nature, while some can be shorter. To me, how long exactly a post or profile needs to be really depends on the circumstances/context in the end. Sometimes you need a short post, while other times you will need to put a lot of stuff in. I guess my opinion is that it isn't really as much as a magic number for how long a profile needs to be as it is a proofreading and going "Hmmm... is this necessary? Is there anything I need to add, or something I could trim out?" thing.

But yeah! My two cents, sorry if it's a little confusing. ^_^;

And thanks RC! That was a fun speech to write. And I liked Josh's speech too, and how awkward Conrad was for not having his speech. X3
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MW, I did a cursory research on ration bars and peanuts out of curiosity, and so far, based off what I've found, it depends on the brand? One I found definitely uses peanuts and has a peanut butter flavor. Datrex (the brand Miranda had after taking it from Kaitlyn) doesn't have peanuts, as far as I can tell, but it does have coconut, which can also be an allergen. It's also processed in a factory that uses nuts, which can be an issue. MayDay, another brand, also doesn't use any nuts. Of course, it could be other types of bars that aren't ration, such as Clif brands, which have nut ingredients and are processed in factories that use them. I think the long and short of it is "depends on what exactly the terrorists are giving them", which could be any brand. Though, it may be interesting to see someone address that.

Of course, there's also gluten allergies, which can be an issue. After all, that means that they probably can't eat the bread or crackers, and maybe the ration bars. If I'm remembering correctly, I think this was addressed early in v4 with Harun Kemal (looking up the thread I'm thinking of right now).

Also, there needs to be more silly AU threads. I wanna see someone make another dating or zombie thread for V6, or the superhero AU becoming a thing. : D

To answer Yugi's question, I like Caedyn. Admittedly, she has traits that have annoyed me with other characters in the past. But! Those traits actually work very well in her favor. I think it's because as nasty, attention whorish, and just plain awful she is, she's not generically so. Whenever I see a new Caedyn post, I start smiling because I know some chaos is about to go down, and I like it. The thread she's in right now (My Friends are Assholes) is a good example of her awfulness, and is a fun thread all around. Bradley is another fun character for the same reasons as Caedyn, by the way: could have been obnoxious to the reader if done incorrectly, but he's done correctly so he's obnoxious to the characters only. I guess I like them because they're good, well-written, and fun awful people, if that makes sense?

Oh! And Jeremy's been a blast as well. He's not an awful person like the previous two, but I will always remember his steaming cock. It will become what he's known for, long after his death. The snark fight with BB was a fun read.

Also, Alvaro and Lily are adorable. I ship it.

I also like Noah's oneshots. His creative process is actually really cool to read, for some reason. I just really like it.

And, the snowball fight! Just a bunch of guys, trying to hit Darius. I remember liking that thread.

That's just at the top of my head, of course. I might think of more later.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If you want my thoughts?

Personally, I'm not a super-huge fan of unsolicited reviews, in all honesty. What I mean by that is, while I'm perfectly fine with having my kids' profiles critiqued by a staffer or someone telling me what they think of a character after I ask them, I find things like people leaving comments on their wiki pages or getting them for read-a-thons slightly awkward for me. I'm fine with criticism, but, contrary to popular belief, I'm actually a pretty shy person. It's more obvious in real life, but it's harder to notice online. I guess that when I'm getting an unexpected or unasked for review I tend to tense up a bit for that reason. It's a large part of the reason why I've requested that my characters cannot be rolled for read-a-thon these days. That said, though, I'm totes fine with other people getting things like that. Heck, I've left stuff on wiki pages before! And Toben's v4 commenting spree was fun to read, of course.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you may have to skip over my kids, but otherwise I approve. ^_^;
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Psh. I've read all 276 students in one hour. Surely you can read the entirety of v4 quickly. : D
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh! I actually have a question.

Has it been set in stone where exactly the kids were supposed to be going for their field trip? I know it's supposed to be with the Chemistry/Physics classes, but where were they headed before the terrorists abducted them? I'm asking because it may influence the starting outfit of one of my kids. It's okay if it's a bit of a spoiler for any reason, though. I just needed to ask. ^_^;
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

More like a refirement home.

Retirement by fire. : D
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.

In Loving Memory

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply