Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (21,083 Views)
Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
Now you may be wondering, who was wearing the bolo tie? Me or the shark? Answer: YES!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
We've also got an inactivity deadline soon, which I'm sure is part of it. Not entirely sure what to do with one of my kids myself.
VeeFive

V4

NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
Now you may be wondering, who was wearing the bolo tie? Me or the shark? Answer: YES!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think you really have to show what they see in each other. Like teenagers are really stupid and dumb and hormonal, but there still has to be a why. It can even be a stupid why, and in fact that's probably the most realistic, but it still has to be there. Bob doesn't love Alice just because, but he can love the way she didn't tell him to kill himself or the way her smile reminds him of home or maybe he appreciates the fact that she's an innie and he's an outie and maybe she enjoys solving puzzles if you know what I mean.

There's a lot of random stuff that can make someone fall in love with someone and even more that can make them fall in lust, but if it's a two-way relationship they do need to offer something tangible to each other.
VeeFive

V4

NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Character arc considerations also crop up in a weird sort of way. Like, if you're heading down the home stretch, you've probably got a good grasp on what makes your character tick. Like as not they've been swapped out or heroed at some point, and not for no reason. It's easy to say, well, just carry that momentum forward. But at the same time, you're approaching that point with constant consideration to when and how the story ends. You should be death-ready even as a hopefully long-runner/winner well before the final few rollsets.

Which means that, if you've written responsibly, the main thrust of the character is probably out there already. Anything past that is likely a sort of auxiliary arc. You were hoping to have the room to accomplish X, Y, and Z, and your character has drawn their strength from having that over their head, and now that that's more or less done, you have to move on to A and B in a natural sort of way. Even if you've had that planned out, there's a much different feel between the meat of the story and the gravy you have the chance to pile on top.
VeeFive

V4

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
On the whole, I think the v4 escape was pretty cool. There were a lot of sweet characters that got spared a terrible fate in the short term, and it was interesting in the long term to see where they went after that. Most of the post-rescue stuff was great, and I wish there had been more of it. I quite like the sharing of post-game spotlight and worldbuilding without overshadowing the winner at all. That, and Andrea's twitter fights.

In the more immediate term, the whole rescue ordeal made quite a statement on tone. Something that gets brought up a lot in v5 discussion is how the early game kind of just bled directly into the final 20 or so. That was decidedly not the case in v4. Granted, I don't think it was a pitfall people were really heading for, but the rescue definitely solidified that aversion. When the game heads into the final third and 40 people drop off the map in the space of a month, you can feel it. That break was huge, and it really set the tone for the home stretch.

I'm a bit more ambivalent on the mood/morality impacts. v4 was extremely grey to begin with, and a lot of prominent ne'er-do-wells took the opportunity to send their friends off and accept their fates rather than react with violent indignation. Ideally, I think, there would have been more a fracture into different opposing camps - those too violent to be accepted, those who missed the boats through stupidity or terrible luck, and those with a mission yet to fulfill. To some extent that division was there, but a few people falling into the third category made up most of the conscious exploration of what it all meant. Mainly I feel like the upshot for most people was that the island was thenceforth populated by bad people, and some villains softened a bit to make up the perceived gap in the morality spectrum.

Overall, it was also just an exciting time. I'm sure I'll have more to say when I'm not as tired, but that was a lot of what made it cool. Discussion on who was staying or going, what it meant for the survivors, impact on the metaplot, you name it. Another of v4's defining attributes was a sort of wild west feel, and the escape was the exclamation point on the idea that anything could happen.

I'll also go ahead and drop a hypothetical here. Sad!Nick was on the naughty list (not the published one, for obvious reasons), and one of the things I've thought about, had the rolls been different, is an unrolled death. In all honesty, I likely would have chickened out at the time, but I would have at least been kicking around the idea and trying to convince myself. Anyways, the idea would be for Sad!Nick to head to the beach, presumably along with someone who wasn't in the mood for trying to kill him (EG Jennifer or Melissa). There would be the expected exchange over morality, followed by Nick throwing the estoc into the sand and approaching one of the rescuers, ostensibly unarmed and probably under the guise of seeing someone to the boats. Then (with staff permission, of course) he would whip the jutte from his pocket, stab the STAR hypocrite, and accept the 9mm hail of consequences.
VeeFive

V4

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You don't get denied for preggo, but you do get side-eyed pretty hard.
VeeFive

V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply