Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New General SOTF Discussion Thread; Yep
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM (20,515 Views)
Ciel
Member Avatar
"Thatís not a prediction, thatís a spoiler.Ē
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Santa-Sona
Nov 20 2013, 12:44 PM
Espi

What do you guys think of V5 so far? How's it compare to other versions? Who're some people/characters to watch?

DID SOMEBODY SAY SHAMELESS PLUGGING? (Because I can't really comment on versions I wasn't here for)

Read Ruby Forrester. One of the characters I am truly following instead of just skimming.
I wanna add my thoughts on Espi's question. Toben has touched on quite a few areas but there have been some subtle differences I've noticed.

For now I want to piggyback on what Persona is doing.

I second Ruby Forrester. Sort of biased here but her arc so far has been very intense. She's one to look out for.

Also read Cody Patton. I'm super enamored by the way Kilmarnock plays him. He can't accept looking weak, not even for a second, and this comes across in his actions. He tries to act cold and cool and tough to make up for the fact that he is just as scared as everyone else, and that he has no clue what to do. It's the little touches he adds that really add color.
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kalopsia
Nov 21 2013, 10:54 AM
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT SUMMER SIMMS.

Summer Simms is my favourite character because she makes me look like a total hypocrite. Mimi uses her to do all the gross shit I hate seeing in characters (EATING INTESTINES TO MAKE THE TERRORISTS LIKE HER MORE) but does it with such a genuine pathos behind it that you can't help but empathize with Summer as she descends further and further into utter madness. There's been a ton of characters I have enjoyed reading in V5, but Summer is the only one that I've really missed while the board has been down.

I just want her to catch a break at some point. :(
The fight scene and subsequent kill in Big Stick Ideology is what people in V1 and V2 were foaming at the mouth to pull off but failed miserably when they tried.

I really want to go on about how I actually prefer the most recent versions to the very first ones but... we all know about that. About how they are better. Right?
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Nov 22 2013, 12:16 AM
This was asked and answered on the first podcast episode, but I was wondering what you guys thought.

Melee weapons versus guns. Which has more impact? Which is better to write with?
Melee weapons are more fun to write and they have more impact. It's just the fact that they are not normally associated with killing.

Of course none of us has actually used a hunga munga before, and I hope that no one has actually tried to beat someone with something like a shovel. But when writing is concerned, you can easily make up for that by making associations. I'm sure everyone can recall the thick woosh of a heavy object being swung with plenty of strength, the dull impact of a hammer against a hard surface, the crack of a bat against a baseball. Writers can use these tools in order to paint a more vivid picture for the reader, using things they would be able to recognize and twisting them.

Like, just think about how big of a mess it is to cut up red meat and apply the sights, sounds and smells when writing your violent kill, you sick monster. (By the way, have you guys played Hotline Miami?)

A very good example would be this post from Haven't You Got Eyes in Your Head?. Greg doesn't get into any real detail about what is happening, just little snippits and a repeating dull thwack. Thwack. Thwack All you need to know is that with every Thwack, Ivan's branch gets more soiled with blood.

With guns, well, people like to use guns because they kill people really easily! That's what it is, to me. Just a real easy kill.

Guns are cool, yeah, but I never see anyone really use them in any creative ways. Guns always tend to take the backseat. The best scenes, I feel, are when the gun is used in an unpredictable manner (like with Lauren Rowe's death). But otherwise, it's always "Pew Pew" and people falling down. To me, any scene involving a gun that becomes interesting has more to do with the characters involved rather than the weapon(though I can't say that's a bad thing, quite the opposite).

Like, just going off of memory, how many times in the past two versions have you seen these happen:

• Character A pulls out a gun while Character B is turned away and shoots them.

• Character A has Character B cornered at very close range, but Character B manages to save themselves before Character A fires.

• A gun jamming in mid-fight.

• A gun jamming, period.

• Character A shoots Character B, crippling them and leaving them for dead.

• Character A shooting Character B in the kneecap, not even necessarily killing them.

• The kickback of a gun somehow interfering with an otherwise incredibly easy shot.

• Character A is somehow unable to shoot Character B so they bash Character B's head with the gun, killing them.

• A character accidentally shooting themselves.

• Character A, all talk, threatens to shoot Character B but ends up accidentally doing it anyway.

• Character A shoots a gun in a closed space and the vibration of the sounds sends them into shock.

• A gun getting kicked out of reach during a fight.

• A gun getting kicked out of reach during a fight, leading to a third character picking it up and using it.

• Running out of bullets.

• Ricochet.

• Someone actively throwing their gun away for reasons that make sense to them.

In truth, I don't remember every death in existence but these situations are either staples in tv shows/movies or actual problems experienced in real life.

Guns can be interesting, yeah, but they feel really boring and played out now. Why can't more people be like Summer Simms and just tear people apart? You should go read her btw.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ghost Of Ravenstar
Nov 22 2013, 01:54 PM
General Goose
Nov 22 2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:

The kickback of a gun somehow interfering with an otherwise incredibly easy shot.

Oooh, I did that once. It was a very weedy character firing a shotgun at close-to-medium range, but underestimating the recoil, missing his shot completely, and having his arms thrown out of place.
Actually it takes far longer for recoil to travel back through a shooter's arm than it does for the bullet to exit the barrel. If you have somebody lined up at extremely short range, you will hit them at least once, regardless of how strong the recoil is. The real reason inexperienced shooters miss point-blank shots is because they aren't pulling triggers correctly (most shotguns and pistols have /extremely/ heavy trigger actions to prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot if they have poor trigger discipline), meaning the contraction of their muscles pulls the barrel off-target before the hammer hits the primer of the chambered round/shell.

Yes I am an absolute shooting nazi however could you tell.
Why you gotta be so technical? Me, I'm a hypocrite
Edited by Ciel, Nov 22 2013, 03:22 PM.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
well technically B012 has been MIA for years so technically RC is right. B)

Quote:

Great job: Backslash, Mimi, Ciel.

Oh wow, thanks man! We've got things planned so hopefully we'll drive this train to an even better station(that's a Darren joke, trains.)
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
With the death of Alexander de Gaulle, we are one rolled death away from hitting the halfway mark. Which pretty much means we're halfway through V5 at this point.

I've gotta good feeling about the second half of V5 guys.

(Thinking about putting up a Top Ten poll prematurely.)
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If someone asked you to suggest a character of yours to read, which would you choose?
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mirabella's latest post

Posted Image
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bikriki
May 15 2014, 03:56 PM
how do you make a romance/love arc on the island be "right"?
More than one character that people like + Buildup + Character Arc affecting moments + An active, personal connection between both characters that the reader can see - sex*** = successful love arc in SOTF

*** unless it feels RIGHT and actually brings something to the table other than T ' N ' A ' N ' D
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kalopsia
May 15 2014, 04:55 PM
has to happen organically. forcing it ooc usually makes it weird and awkward esp. when it forms on the island and characters have no pre-island connection at all
I would like to +1 this? I have participated in... four romance arcs in SOTF. One was forced Ooc during pregame, another one was forced at the tailend of the character's arc, and a third was forced OOC during pregame but felt somewhat organic because Arscapi and I worked well together.

The only romance arc that I am still cocoa bananas over is Nick x Jessica from V4. Rugga and me wrote in a thread during Pregame and I decided to let Jessica have a massive crush on Nick. Rugga made the wise decision not to have them meet up into late until the game when Nick was on the verge of snapping and Jessica was losing hope. but it actually worked because it fits Nick's waning grasp on reality and Jessica desperately reaching for her dreams and how the game is all too willing to crush all of that.

I'm sorry for giving into vanity but I love how all of that played out. If you really want to have two characters getting together on island, it can't be you bopping a Barbie and Ken doll together, it's gotta be organic.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Has V5 taught you anything? Writing wise? Have you grown as a writer from playing in v5?

The biggest lesson I've gained from v5 is conveyance and how if you don't convey things to the reader you are basically leaving them up Shit Creek without a paddle.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have also learned that waiting for rolls this close to the end of the game is fucking nerve wracking holy shit.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
NotAFlyingToy
Jul 29 2014, 04:20 PM
It's also somewhat of a pressure cooker, because you feel like that you've made it this far, so there's the idea that what you're writing needs to be 'worthy' of the placement you're given. I find that whenever I write a post, I'm re-reading it twice over and making edits that I wouldn't have earlier on in the game.

I've always been, for lack of a better word, a YOLO poster. I just hammer it out in the reply box, click send, and go on my merry way. But the longer V5 goes for, the more invested I am in making sure that each post contributes to the story I've written so far and the eventual conclusion is satisfactory.
At the beginning of V5 I was spitting words into the reply box. Now I'm carefully tiptoeing from sentence to sentence making sure that it flows. That's something else I've learned; don't rush shit, think it out and read over what you've written and you'll be golden.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd like to imagine that we'd be in endgame at this point if the crash never happened.
V6

Ciel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As far as the latest iteration, I like the murdercast. I think the most recent one, the one Naft hosted, was pretty awesome. It did not feel scripted, everything was very fluid and the guests really worked well together. I'd love to see more of that sort of roundtable discussion where everyone knows your name. I also would love another episode with a bunch of staff members crammed in, that provided a lot of interesting discussion.

If you're going for a 'topic-of-the-week-talkshow' spiel, though... I don't like the idea of there being an episode each in-game day for the same reasons Naft outlined. The idea of a monthly podcast works better and would probably be way more smoother, like you can at least plan out some of the scheduled topics and save room for recent happenings that way.

The only problem is the pacing of the podcast itself. The podcast followed something similar to the 'talk show' setup in the episodes Rachel hosted and the original series back in ol v3. They feel... It's a bit hard to explain now without going back and listening, but I always got the impression that they were planned ahead of time yet Laissez-faire with the chosen topics and guests? (Sorry I am coming off of a hangover it's hard to put words together...)

Personally a hybrid of 'talk show' and 'casual skype chat' is the best path. I'd totally be a guest on that show.

I have a few suggestions too but unfortunately I don't have time to type all of that up. Kyle, dude, if you're the conductor on this train just hit me up and we can talk.
V6

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply