Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Come on Everypony! Smile, smile, smile!; Funerals
Topic Started: Nov 12 2013, 09:29 PM (1,434 Views)
Solitair
Member Avatar
Where modesty's ill manners, 'tis but fit that impudence and malice pass for wit.
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Arthur Wells continued from Calamity))

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Carrying Xavier's body around the woods in hopes of finding a secluded spot to leave it, something far enough off the beaten path to stave off the curiosity of other students who'd want to do things to it, was getting to be a real burden. It started getting stiff and unwieldy and, well, ripe soon enough. Once or twice Arthur felt a fly settling on his arm and had to shake the body to get them all off. The second time this happened, he accidentally banged Xavier's head into a tree, scraping the skin.

Just leave him there! It's a good enough spot as any! You're a sitting duck like this!

No, fuck that. He was a sitting duck any way he played this stupid-ass game, and Xavier deserved better than that. The two of them were rocks for each other, their conversations being some of the only places where Arthur felt he could really cut loose with how much of an escapist dork he was. Xavier meant too much to just leave to the wolves like this.

Thus the continuing purgatorial cycle of Arthur blundering through the woods, checking this tree and that to see, he didn't know, if one had a hollow to fold Xavier's body into. Not that he could really fold that body in the first place. He was considering the possibility that he could seriously contemplate the chance that he'd have to think long and hard about giving up on this little sidequest when he heard talking.

Friend or foe? Always a paramount question. So he carefully pinpointed the direction to go in and crept up as slowly as he could. He still snapped lots of twigs underfoot and he may or may not have snapped Xavier's ankle against a tree. It was hard for him to tell. As he crept closer, he could make out the conversation, words of regret, conciliation, and... remembrance? Did they actually remember that much about... fuck, it was Jason.

This time, Arthur was awake to hear the announcements, with Xavier making it in at the very end. Jason Meyers was another familiar name, if only for the cautionary tale he posed. Plenty of Arthur's brony friends assured him that people in general wouldn't give a shit if he was into My Little Pony, to which Arthur responded with rumors of Jason's secret being discovered. He lost quite a few so-called friends over this, and it always crept into Arthur's mind whenever he felt the instinct to bring it into a conversation. Loose lips sink ships, my friends.

And now Jason's ship lay slagged at the bottom of the ocean. That poor sod. Arthur stepped out into the clearing to see two people he didn't know, hearing a third person trudging off to who knows where. The guy was... someone. He'd get back to himself on who. But the girl he knew.

"Claire," he said, looking around the place. He'd be damned, they actually managed to bury Jason. Arthur hadn't even considered that possibility on account of him lacking a shovel. "Room for one more? Um, body. And live person. Two more. You know what I mean. Sorry."
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown
WickedIcon: this is the best dollar i've spent in several years

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

Turning Pages: Read some books along with me, why don't you?

V4:
Spoiler: click to toggle

V5:
Arthur Wells: The Artist ... ... ... ... ?
Rose Matheson: The Sprinter ... ?
Ilya Volkov: The Wrestler ... ... ... ... !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Solitair
Member Avatar
Where modesty's ill manners, 'tis but fit that impudence and malice pass for wit.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Arthur panted and groaned, unable to stand at attention during the funeral. The digging had exhausted him too much. He felt the aches and stitches in his legs and back, which would likely remain until he had a time to rest. In and out, he flexed his fingers, where skin came dangerously close to sloughing off in places, filling the gaps with pus and fluid. It stung, and he knew he'd have to resist the temptation to just... pop them. Let it all out, let the germs in. He shouldn't forget the risk of infection. The joints of his fingers ached, felt like the bone had started to crack and grind during the digging process.

How useless was Arthur when Kyle and Claire had managed to do this twice? How useless was the act of burying students, favoring some of them over others? Arthur didn't know, and he just wanted to have some fucking sleep, maybe getting to die during that time. He found it hard to care at this point.

But Claire wanted him to say some words. He really should. He was the one who wanted Xavier buried, and he was the one who actually befriended Xavier. As far as he knew, Xavier was only an acquaintance to Claire and Kyle. He didn't have to warrant a burial, but they gave it to him anyway. So what kind of friend would he be if he didn't speak now?

He stood up and looked at the mound of dirt that represented Xavier. "I'm going to miss you." What to say next? He was never any good at speeches. "What I liked best about you was that you never made me feel like a freak. I had some crazy ideas about, you know, fan works, what to draw and what to write, and I couldn't talk to most people about that because I keep hearing those people, the fic writers and shut ins, being the butt of jokes and shit. I didn't... I didn't want people to know me like that, so I guess they barely knew me at all. But you always listened. You always gave me feedback, your own ideas, and the good kind of laughter."

He thought of the private ideas that he had, be they shipping, crossovers, grimdark, and just plain goofiness. His eyes closed and he had a sad smile on his face. Even now he didn't want to name examples, because Claire and Kyle weren't his people, online and with screen names obscuring their faces and voices. The viewing public knew the name he published all his material under online. They could look that shit up if they really wanted.

"Thanks for the collaboration, Xavier. I'm gonna miss you." He blinked, rubbed his eyes, and lay down on the ground.

"You think one of us could stand watch? I can't... I need rest. Sorry."
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown
WickedIcon: this is the best dollar i've spent in several years

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

Turning Pages: Read some books along with me, why don't you?

V4:
Spoiler: click to toggle

V5:
Arthur Wells: The Artist ... ... ... ... ?
Rose Matheson: The Sprinter ... ?
Ilya Volkov: The Wrestler ... ... ... ... !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Woods · Next Topic »
Add Reply