Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V5 BKA/BDA Voting: July 2013
Topic Started: Jul 29 2013, 07:42 PM (1,331 Views)
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
GREETINGS CITIZENS OF RUGGAPOLIS

I am the decidedly more feminine mod bringing you the BKA and BDA for the month. The contest will be up for 5 (five) days and will then be shut down so that we can get the announcement up to keep close to schedule.

A few reminders before we start:

- People will not be rolled over who miss the start of a contest, even with an extension. Sorry!
- Please read all deaths and kills before voting.
- Votes that do not provide a reason for the voting (at least sentence or two, though we'd love more) will be disqualified. Just tell us why you liked it.
- Tell us why you loved something, but don't say unkind things about the scenes you don't vote for.
- As always, votes are anonymous. Log out, first! You can deal with the Indulgence skin for five minutes before logging back in and returning to the sweet embrace of eVolution (or maybe you're the one person who uses Zetaboards original).

BEST KILL AWARD:

Megan Emerson, for killing Francis St. Ledger
Miranda Millers, for killing Kaitlyn Williamson
Maximilian Sawyer, for killing Becca Everett
Miles Strickland, for killing Chuck Soileau
Joachim Lovelace, for killing Carmina Maliksi
Summer Simms, for killing Naomi Bell
Lana Torres, for killing Venice Pennington-Johannes
Amaranta Montalvo, for killing Michael Whaley
Yukiko Sakurai, for killing Stacey Mordetsky
Eliza Patton, for killing Luca Johanssen

BEST DEATH AWARD:

Pippin, for the death of Francis St. Ledger
armeggedonCounselor, for the death of Kaitlyn Williamson
Namira, for the death of Becca Everett
The Burned Handler, for the death of Chuck Soileau
Maraoone, for the death of Carmina Maliksi
Violent Medic, for the death of Naomi Bell
Un-Persona, for the death of Venice Pennington-Johannes
decoy73, for the death of Michael Whaley
Aura Master Fox, for the death of Stacey Mordetsky
JamesRenard, for the death of Luca Johanssen
things
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Mysterious Stranger
Unregistered

There were plenty of great deaths this set, so it was tough to pick this time!

BKA: Summer Simms. Her murder was brutal, ugly, and real. It was sick and gory in all the right ways, and Summer's emotional state was spot-on to lead to the murder to me. Mimi and Medic both did really well here, and I really loved how it was set up and how it was executed. Summer was clearly making a mistake, and Naomi's reactions were really well-done. I just really enjoyed the kill overall, especially since the killer winded up almost as fucked-up as the victim

BDA: Pippin for the death of Francis Ledger. The death, to me, was just a really natural flow of events with really sound justification and solid writing all around. It just made sense to me, because the flow of what led up to the shove was really well-done. The characterization that led up to the death was really sound to me, and while I'm probably repeating myself, I just love how the events that caused the death felt really natural to me.
Goto Top

Mako Mori <3<3<3
Unregistered

Best Kill Award: For this month, I have selected Summer Simms' murder of Naomi Bell as my choice for Best Kill Award. I was completely enamored with this whole sequence. You have Naomi, who is currently acting as Class President and trying to be a leader to Aileen and Owen, running into Summer, who lost the election to Naomi and is fresh off the extremely well done but physically unnerving "Right Down the Line It's Been You and Me." Summer is clearly still reeling from what Brandon did to her, and she's not in the best of moods. In comes Naomi, her political rival, and the typical Naomi-isms push her over the edge.

I really liked this scene because everything about it was ugly and dirty. These girls are normally supposed to be peppy social girls, but here, they've devolved into savage animals. Summer is blinded by hatred and is so consumed with killing Naomi, even though Naomi didn't really give her any motive to. Summer doesn't come out of this unharmed, but she's pretty broken by the entire ordeal.

I feel this entire scene is probably going to be very important in Summer's story. She's clearly mentally fractured, and this is likely going to lead to several more terrible events. I feel Mimi is doing such a fantastic job with Summer, and I am so excited to see what she does next. For all those reasons, I feel Summer is deserving of this month's Best Kill Award.

Best Death Award: I really don't think I can get over how I loved this confrontation between Summer and Naomi. So much that I think I choose the death of Naomi Bell as my choice for Best Death Award. See, Naomi was someone I was very interested in reading in pregame. I did love the idea of such a prim and proper wannabe politician and I loved the potential she could have when she found herself in SOTF. When Medic swapped her for Joe, I was initially shocked, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a good decision.

See, I think I did know how Naomi's story would go: she'd meet people, try to unite them under her authority, have run-ins with killers, maybe try to get the collars off, then probably die in a way that fractures her group. She began to do that, and then it all went to hell very quickly. She doesn't even give Summer any real incentive to kill her. She just says what she's doing to an unbalanced girl, and Summer attacks. Naomi does try to fight back and manages to hurt Summer's hand, but she's useless with a bec-de-corbin in her chest.

If anything, I think I like this death because it perfectly sums up the tragedy of Naomi's character: she was way too fucking arrogant. She could talk to people and they'd bow down. She'd know the answer to the problem, so they should trust her. She thought she could recruit Summer, but she never considered that Summer could have been through trauma. Naomi being killed early seems appropriate for someone who acted so haughty and had all expectations betrayed.

I think the death post worked for me because it completely portrays that Naomi has lost all authority and control and is reduced to begging. She's not even able to be eloquent while doing so. It reduces Naomi to what the game makes of her: a bag of meat meant to be killed. She's no longer in control, and she's no longer herself, and now she's just one of 151 corpses that will (possibly) litter the island. That's why I lect Naomi Bell to win Best Death Award.
Goto Top

Bear in Go-go Boots
Unregistered

For BKA I'm voting for Summer Simms for killing Naomi and for BDA I'm voting for Violent Medic for the death of Naomi Bell. Overall, I thought that it was a well written, gruesome and realistic portray of a fight. I liked Summer's motives and how she just snapped, as well as the struggle between the two of them and the helplessness of Naomi at the end of the scene.

Honourable mention to Mara for killing Mike. I liked the desperation to get out of the lighthouse that Mara was feeling as well as her crude and gruesome way of killing Mike.
Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorry! One last note: if you could bold or color your picks that'd be great.
things
Offline Profile Goto Top

ALL HAIL RUGGAPOLIS
Unregistered

For BKA and BDA, I have to choose Summer Simms and Violent Medic for the death of Naomi Bell, respectively. I cannot see a single flaw in that entire scene. It was REALLY good writing on the part of both Mimi and Medic, and maybe one of the best scenes so far. Everything about it was grim and brutal. I loved it.
Goto Top

woof
Unregistered

Re-posted for bold.

BKA: Joachim Lovelace for the execution of Carmina Maliksi

Let's face it; the dynamic between Joachim and Jaq is starting to become interesting. They're the most murderous duo about. Jaq is an evil manipulative bitch, while Joachim is her partner in crime. They're basically turning into the Bonnie and Clyde of v5, and it's amazing. First they commit a successful robbery, then they slaughter the crap out of poor Carmina, then they frame poor Theo! I can seriously see them becoming a huge menace on the island in the grand scheme of things.

I also liked that part of at least Jaq's justification involved something that a lot of handlers and characters seem to forget. Namely, the fact that if no one kills in 24 hours, everyone will die. They also show good teamwork together, and as I said, I feel like they're going to be a menace. Therefore, my vote goes to Joachim.

BDA: Francis St. Ledger and his falling death

Lots of accidental deaths this time around, I have to admit. However, Francis' is my personal favorite out of the lot, simply because it's a pretty good set-up. Basically, what happens is that the announcements come on, and it turns out that someone in the group had a friend who had killed someone. Francis makes comments that rub Megan the wrong way, and they argue, only for her to throw him down the stairs on accident. It's a pretty good death in that it's not particularly contrived, and uses the announcements as basically the set-up of a kill in an unexpected way. Overall, this is my vote.
Goto Top

Blonic the Hedgehog
Unregistered

BKA: I'm going to give my vote to Joachim Lovelace because I am a sucker for kills that are regretted almost immediately. Plus, the fact that he probably would not have gone through with it had Jaquilyn not egged him on in "The Visionary" just makes me love this from an in-universe standpoint. Plus firing knifes is always cool, and for that I will throw him my vote. (That last one was a joke. Mostly.)

BDA: Who else but the lovely Violent-Medic for the death of Naomi Bell? For the most part, the whole thread with Summer and Naomi made me cringe, and although it was pretty gory I never felt that it crossed the line into ridiculousness. Even with how headstrong Naomi is, in her final moments all she could do was break down and plea with Summer to stop, which of course she never does. Even her last words die off with her. For that, Medic gets my vote.

As an aside, the joke's on you, Rugga for I have the power to change my theme back to eVolution. You cannot stop me!
Goto Top

swirlythingy
Unregistered

(Gonna wrap it in a quote this time in case the lousy forum breaks again.)
swirlythingy

BKA: Megan Emerson. This was a really well-constructed scene which played the two characters off each other well, and flowed naturally from the preceding scenes. The dialogue, the pacing and the characterisation were all impeccable, making the thread just as exciting, if not more so, than any fight scene of equivalent length. The implications for Megan, after she let her temper momentarily get the better of her here, are interesting, to say the least.

BDA: Naomi Bell. I haven't read any pregame to speak of (something I intend to rectify RSN), so it's a testament to the skill of the two writers involved that I could just dive straight in and pick up the backstories as I went along, without in any way detracting from the enjoyability of the thread. It's always satisfying to see long-running subplots brought to a head, but the standout aspect of this scene was how Naomi died alone, humble, and terrified, after her long track record of arrogance and borderline callousness towards her friends.
Goto Top

Ze Loyal Ruggapolisian
Unregistered

BKA: Summer Simms, for killing Naomi Bell

I think that that this one has to be my favorite v5 death scene thus far. Why? Well, I am not a great fan of gore, but occasionally, there is an instance of violence that where I cannot resist. The violence in that scene was beautyful in its own sense. Brutal, direct, every strike made me flinch, and every strike raised the tension. It is rare for me to get such a strong affect in those scenes, so kudos to both Medic and Mimi.

Also, Summer finally wants the attention she deserves? Well, let's have her it.

BDA: pippin, for the death of Francis St. Ledger

I was so very tempted to vote Medic here, for the reasons I mentioned above, but hey, let us spread the love.

The reason I liked that death was because I appreciated the tragedy it contained. Also, because it kinda carried a message that I can only approve of. Namely, that anger will only to misery. It was on of these situations that could have been... more pleasant if all parties were actually calm.

And that, I like. In fiction. Do that in real life and I'll rant at you for how you are an inferior being.
Goto Top

Burn After Reading
Unregistered

For my Best Kill Award? Summer freaking Simms for her devastation of Naomi Bell. Holy mother of God, Mimi brought down the house with this one. With some really well done back-and-forth between Violent-Medic and Mimi, we got to see an ugly, brutal fight between bitter rivals, and both handlers made an excellent job of communicating it to the audience blow by blow. Props to both handlers for an excellent scene, and the best kill so far in this anonymous handler's opinion.

While I'd love to give this award to Violent-Medic as a BDA as well, I felt that Pippin brought out a very solid death post that encapsulated his character's frustration and utter anger at the whole thing. I love how it was a surprise death, that it didn't go the way I expected it to, and I especially love the way the narration goes outside of Francis' POV to change to a much more muted and colder tone as it dispassionately describes how Francis landed. Beautifully done.

See you all next month!
Goto Top

Clear Sky
Unregistered

Best Kill Award: Megan Emerson.

Reason: I like this kill because it comes off as very real. It's not intentional, just a brief and sudden outburst with a tragic end that results in an instant and very human feeling of guilt and contrition on behalf of the killer. Other kills this version have been more impressive or dramatic, but few have appealed to me on a personal level so far.

Best Death Award: Naomi Bell.

Reason: Speaking of violent acts that appealed to me on a personal level, Naomi Bell's death scene also qualifies, but in a very different way. This was the first death I've read so far that made me cringe inside and hesitate to read the next sentence. That's not a bad thing at all; I like it for the very fact that it comes across as disturbing without resorting to childish levels of gore or ultra-violence.
Goto Top

Mr.No
Unregistered

Best Kill: This was a lot harder then my vote for Best Death, but in the end, I'm going to give it to Summer Simms, for killing Naomi Bell. It fits very well for Summer's character and shows an eye-catching future for her arc on the island. The scene as a whole is great, as Mimi and Medic worked very well together as writers. It was also very gritty, with neither of the girls coming out in their best shape. That was nice to see as well.

Best Death: Pippin, for the death of Francis St. Ledger. Again, this was a bit tough, but I came to this decision much easier then I thought I would have. Realism is a thing we as a board are trying to capture, especially in our deaths, and I think Pippin did well in making Francis' death come off as believable. His emotions, thoughts, and actions were very real with great characterization and a strong voice, and they also conveyed him as sympathetic while still letting him be the moody guy he is. I usually like deaths that are great scene as a whole, and while this was also a pretty great scene, I think it would still be my pick if Pippin did not have Jill doing his part of the deal nice too.
Goto Top

Unregistered

I only have a limited time to post as I need to head to work, so these reasons will be somewhat short and I'll copy/paste my BDA pick from the wiki:

BDA: Pippin, for the death of Francis St. Ledger

I was impressed with Francis' short time in the game. I mean, he was already an interesting commodity in the pregame as well and I love how Pippin stayed true to that 'bitching' personality that Francis was finally able to let loose on the island, which eventually led to Francis' death sequence. It was a unique scenario for a death, but at the same time very realistic and the sort I'd love to see again. It wasn't really a kill, more of an arguement with a great build up which led to one of the more realistic accidents I've ever read. Yes, I've read and have been apart of some contrived accidental death scenes before, so this one was refreshing as it felt a lot more natural than most.

BKA: Summer Simms, for killing Naomi Bell

The build from the beginning of the game.. no, actually from the pregame even that ultimately led to the kill here was n incredible read. What happened to Summer in the game, especially recently built up to the kill and the scene itself was well crafted with a good writing partner in Medic for Naomi. Summer's thoughts against Naomi from pregame served as a some interesting justifications, and I always love callbacks to pregame.
Goto Top

Unregistered

Kill: Summer Simms. I love it. It made sense for the characters, her state of mind was fantastic for the situation considering her personality and what she'd recently gone through and the kill was bloody and gruesome and cruel in the best ways possible. I loved it, so there's where my votes goes.

Death: Francis St. Ledger. This was an accidental death I really dug because both parties were fairly aggressive. It was very fast, due to the nature of the death (falling down stairs) but I liked the simplicity of his death and the way it was written. It felt real, but not showy and it was a character I enjoyed. So props to Pippin here.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Contest Voting · Next Topic »
Locked Topic