Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Characters who've never met?
Topic Started: Jul 27 2013, 02:48 AM (1,084 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, to second that point, I was part of a class of around 800, but am reasonably confident I only knew the names and faces of 50 or 60 students. Then again, I'm bad with both names and faces.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Coming from an Ontario high school with a graduating class of, I dunno, 300 or so, 350? I probably at least knew the vast majority (90%+) of my class in terms of names and faces. There were tons of kids I never had a class with, but again, you usually at least know who the person is, even if you've never spoken to them before. If I had my yearbook around, it might be fun to dig it out and see how right that guess is.

But as this topic shows, I guess it's totally different for other folks. And if my grade had 600 people instead of 300 I'm sure there would've been lots more kids I didn't know.

That said, when it comes to SOTF I usually prefer to have my characters at least know who the other person is in a thread, even if it's in terms of "Larry didn't know Wilhelmina all that well", because as I've said before, introducing-each-other scenes are godawful and horrible and boring wastes of time to write and read.
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????
Member Avatar
Oh no!
[ *  * ]
I'm probably an extreme example even by the standards of the other antisocials in this thread, but I doubt that the total number of names - let alone faces - I've ever known in all my life would amount to about 300 times 90%. Faces are particularly bad for me. I can count the number of people on my university course I could both recognise and name, if not quite on one hand, then certainly less than two. If I were dumped in an SOTF-type situation (hmm... I'm sure there's a thread for that somewhere around here) I know for certain I'd be one of those students who has to be newly introduced to every single other character they meet.

People who just know the names and faces of people they've never met, have nothing in common with and have never spoken to seriously creep me out. I've had it happen to me on multiple occasions.
...in my pants.

B065 Edgar Tolstoff (adopted from aristeia) - Syrup of Ipecac - Lost a debate with a chainsaw (Storage Yard)

All your favourite heinous acts of terrorism and murder, now available in handy infographic form!
MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The reason why it's always been so hard for me to take is that I came out of a class of 230, was one of the less popular kids in school, and I knew almost everybody in the class. Not every single face and name, but I sure as hell knew at least 90% of them. This was after having been in the school system for only four years (I moved to my mother's for high school).

So people not remembering who half their classmates are in smaller classes just strikes me as them not paying attention to any of their surroundings ever or simply not giving a shit.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply