Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V5 BKA/BDA Voting: June 2013
Topic Started: Jun 29 2013, 01:41 PM (2,249 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alrighty, folks! It is time for the first BKA/BDA of V5. I'm going to take a few moments to explain some changes that you may or may not be aware of.

First off, votes will remain hidden until the voting period has ended. This is to prevent a pattern we saw in V4, where handlers would vote more based on who they wanted to win of the characters getting votes than who they thought deserved to win overall.

Voting is, as in V4, anonymous. To vote, you must log out and post as a guest. You may not vote for yourself/your own character (and staff has a few ways to check this, and actually does). Also, please vote for the scene you truly feel was best, rather than the one your friend wrote. We get that they may be the same, but would really like to encourage everyone to really consider their votes. V4 had a lot of voting-for-a-friend going on. With the null as prize removed, we're hoping that will help remove incentive to do that sort of thing.

Votes for different deaths/kills by the same handler/character will not be compiled, as was finalized in late V4. Each kill/death stands alone.

Now, the prizes.

BKA will, as always, get you a weapon.

BDA will get the deceased character featured in the scrolling quote. The quote will be chosen by the site, through a poll, with nominations available for a short time beforehand (and yes, the character's handler is eligible to nominate quotes of their choosing). We've chosen this because it does what BDA was initially intended to do—celebrate an extraordinary piece of writing. It does not give any tangible benefit (which was the source of a lot of awfulness in BDA in V4), but lets the handler feel good about themselves and brings more attention to the scene.

Of course, this is a new idea, so we'll be seeing how it works, and welcome feedback/suggestions for changes through PMs to Help. Please note, we will not be considering any prizes that offer benefits to handlers as far as staying in the game/saving characters goes.

Also, a quick reminder: characters who miss the start of a contest, even with an extension, will no longer be rolled into the next month's contest. This is because it was leading to continuity snarls for BKA (the terrorists awarded several prizes a day late in V4) and to stalling for BDA (handlers would extend a scene to get more time to do a better job, in hopes of winning a null). With game-affecting prizes removed, we feel it's fair to enforce this rule, since it also significantly lightens the bookkeeping load for staff.

Also, remember that you must give your reasons for your votes, or they will be disqualified. As they are anonymous, tracking down people who fail to provide adequate reasoning is a huge hassle, and I don't think staff is gonna bother. So be sure to give your reasoning when you post.

Please be sure to read every kill and death before voting. Otherwise, it's super unfair to the people you skip, who may have produced really good work. We'd love to see a big turnout, but we'd prefer to see a small-yet-informed one.

Finally, a personal (that is, not staff-official) request: Please do not campaign for awards in chat. Please do not do the "Man, it'd be so cool to win BKA/BDA" thing. Please do not try to steer people towards one of your scenes if you have multiple ones up for consideration. Please do not, in short, try to influence the votes. V4's contests got very much into the realm of "This is why we can't have nice things", and while we'd love to keep the contests as a part of the site, if they cause nothing but trouble and drama I, at least, will vote against continuing them.

With that out of the way, it is time for the very first BKA/BDA of V5.

BEST KILL AWARD:
Theodore Fletcher, for killing Gabriella Parker
Hansel Williams, for killing Daniel Whitten
Theodore Fletcher, for killing Dan Liu
Joe Carrasco, for killing Jason Meyers
Katarina Konipaski, for killing Kelly Peterson
Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer, for killing Sven Olsen

BEST DEATH AWARD:
Slamexo, for the death of Dave Russell
Slamexo, for the death of Gabriella Parker
dmboogie, for the death of Daniel Whitten
bacon, for the death of Dan Liu
leAloha, for the death of Jason Meyers
bacon, for the death of Kelly Peterson
Bikriki, for the death of David Zimmer
Mimi, for the death of Sven Olsen

This contest will run for five days, like we did in the past. The announcement will be up shortly after that. This should leave us on schedule to have mid-months at, well, the middle of the month.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Online Profile Goto Top

The Mysterious Stranger
Unregistered

First

BKA:My favorite kill was actually Joe Carrasco, just because it seemed like a really, really panicked and terrified kill. He freaked out, tried to defend his group, and accidentally mortally wounded a potential friend. To make matters worse, he was so traumatized by all the blood and whatnot that he went and killed the person in a mercy kill. It was very well done by the entire group, and the reactions to him were spot-on. Not to mention it'd be funny if they gave a mercy killer a cool weapon.

BDA: I was really, really fond of a couple deaths so far. Daniel Whitten was good, but I have to give it to Gabby Parker. Gabby's slow, painful breakdown as she realized that her killer could not be reasoned with no matter how hard she tried, and eventually her brutal, screaming death, was a really climactic and well-done buildup, and I think Slam did a great job with Gabby despite his minimal time to work on her.
Goto Top

Hello World
Unregistered

BKA: Katarina Konipaski

BDA: Sven Olsen

THIS VOTE WAS DISQUALIFIED DUE TO LACK OF RATIONALE.
Goto Top

Nice/Eazy
Unregistered

BKA: Katarina Konipaski, for killing Kelly Peterson. I felt that this was the best example of how an early killing should be. It wasn't rushed, it wasn't out out of self-defense, and she didn't decide to play. No, Katarina honestly felt that she had to kill at least one person, so everybody wouldn't get their heads blown off. KK felt like she would be letting everybody else on the island die is she didn't kill someone, only because she couldn't imagine any of her classmates stooping so low. She honestly felt like she had to force this burden onto herself, and that's a line of thinking that doesn't happen enough on the island.

BDA: leAloha, for the death of Jason Meyers. The reasoning behind this is a bit different then why I voted for Katarina. Instead of the reasoning and meaning behind it, this is one is purely for writing. I was honestly surprised about how the story turned out, and how cleverly it was pulled off. Everyone involved did great for their parts, making the death of Jason almost perfect as a whole. It's a good example of how to pull off a twist, and should be a goof note on story-telling for future V5 adventures.
Goto Top

MurderIslandTourist
Unregistered

Best Kill Award: Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer, for killing Sven Olsen.

Best Death Award: bacon, for the death of Kelly Peterson.

THIS VOTE WAS DISQUALIFIED DUE TO LACK OF RATIONALE.
Goto Top

Guessed
Unregistered

BKA: Katarina Konipaski, for killing Kelly Peterson

I appreciate navel-gazing. On a more serious note, I found it a nice touch how she lies to herself even while carrying out the deed. I also liked the motivation for the killing - it's reasoned out to a good degree, and we get some notion of the 24-hour-no-kills rule's effects on potential killers.

BDA: Mimi, for the death of Sven Olsen

I feel like Mimi has a knack for getting into the heads of characters. There's a sort of drive, I guess, from the beginning of their stories to the end, and although Sven didn't have much of an in-game presence, it's easy to get a feel for who he is. That carries through to his death in a good way, and we even get some comments about his relationship with Andi and Fiona. It's well-written, as well. I really like the sentence flow.

Also want to note (honorable mention, etc) leAloha and dmboogie for Jason Meyers' death and Daniel Whitten's death. I liked Jason's "heaven instead of home" line, and for Daniel, the omniscient narration was pulled off admirably.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know I said I wouldn't do this, but I'm doing it anyways.

BROseidon and Docbalance, please resubmit your votes.

Quote:

Also, remember that you must give your reasons for your votes, or they will be disqualified. As they are anonymous, tracking down people who fail to provide adequate reasoning is a huge hassle, and I don't think staff is gonna bother. So be sure to give your reasoning when you post.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Online Profile Goto Top

Hello World
Unregistered

Bka Katarina

It stands out for two reasons. One, rattle writes the kill very well. He does a good job invoking the terror of killing. Second, it was one of a few non-gun kills. That makes it stand out because its just more gruesome and brutal. There is more of a connection between Kat and Kelly.

Bda Sven

It really comes down to quality of writing for me. Mimi's prose is just superb, and she does a good job thematically tying together a character in a very short amount of time.
Goto Top

Ce n'est pas un invité.
Unregistered

BKA: Had it not been ruled as an accident, I totally would have given Cassidy Kant my vote for BKA as an unconventional death. However, since this wasn't meant to be, I'm going to give my vote to Joe Carrasco.

Jesus, man, that mercy kill. Even though it was his fault for shooting Jason Meyers in the first place, I can't help but feel bad for him. Jason really had to fight through his fear of blood and the tears in order to end a life, which I really enjoyed reading up to the climactic moment. Now he'll have to deal with the repercussions, which will be fun to see.

Well done, Violent-Medic; I tip my hat to you.

BDA: I feel like Slamexo's portrayal of Gabriella Parker deserves the Best Death Award. There's, of course, the whole fact that she was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time as she was gunned down by Theo Fletcher for no reason other than because she was there, but one other thing I really like is how she was cornered.

Instead of simply being a physical struggle, she tried her best to appeal to Theo's logic and emotions, first commanding him to lower his gun and eventually degenerating into crying over being backed into a corner with no other options. The fear of this progression was really well written, and it was overall a really sad case of dying for a nihilistic reason. Really well done.
Goto Top

Unregistered

I'd like to vote for Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer, for killing Sven Olsen.

To me this death makes the most sense. If deaths can make sense. Theodore Fletcher has turned into an instant player, which I dislike. Of the other deaths none of them seemed intentional, but Iselle is the only person who was provoked into an attack.

I would like to vote for Mimi and Sven for BDA. To me, most of the other death's border on being meta. The language changes from the character's voice, to the author's voice.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer. I liked Iselle's killing because I could get why she did it. Sure, it wasn't exactly complicated, but I could understand the idea of just trying to defend herself, especially since it was violent but not what I would call malicious.

BDA: I'm gonna vote dmboogie for the death of Daniel Whitten. I feel like the death did a good job of illustrating why the death was senseless and unnecessary, and with what was being lost, without being overdramatic.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Hansel for Daniel - While I disagree with some of the way the kill was presented, namely in that the whole "accidental headshot" thing seemed a little improbable and the scene as a whole hinged on Hansel doing something stupid that he really should've known better than to ever do, I liked what Naft and Boogie were going for enough to overlook it a little. I liked the understated, over-in-an-instant manner of the kill, and the way it's affected the scene since, though I doubt Naft planned for it to turn into a clown-car thread.

BDA: Boogie for Daniel - This ties into a lot of what I said for Hansel, but I liked the lack of drama or overwrought bloodiness to this death. One second Dan's there, bam, next he's gone. It had a kind of punch that is often missing in the more drawn-out kills.
Goto Top

Unregistered

I'm voting for KK for Best Kill Award, because I was truly scared when reading her murder, and it was nice to see some variety amidst all the "Woe is me" kills this roll.

I'm voting dmboogie for Best Death Award, because he dared to do something different - kill off his character mid sentence without drawing it out or pleeing for emotion.
Goto Top

Unregistered

For BDA, I vote Slamexo for the death of Gabriela Parker. I felt that it was really well-written and her last post was actually chilling. Everything about that thread was perfect. I felt it was realistic and... I just loved it.

For BKA, I vote Iselle Ovalle-Vandermeer for killing Sven Olsen. It was quick, clean, and she managed to fight off a potential attacker and escape without so much as a little scrape.
Goto Top

Unregistered

For Best Kill Award, my vote goes to Katarina Konipaski for the murder of Kelly Peterson. I am choosing this because I find something very visceral about deaths by stabbing. Considering how many deaths by gunshots there have been, there's something that really stands out about someone being stabbed to death, especially since Kelly really had no chance to save herself. It definitely makes me curious as to where Katarina will go, and so I look forward to seeing what will happen.

For Best Death Award, my vote goes to the death of Sven Olsen, by Mimi. Sven might not have gotten to do a whole lot, but there was something about how he died at Iselle's hands that I really liked. I think it's mostly because it acknowledges how sudden and abrupt a lot of the deaths in this game are. Sven had potential for a story, but Iselle cut it completely short. He doesn't get the time to speak his regrets or have anything fancy to say. He's just a victim, one who will have no resolution to his story nor will be fulfilled as he expires, and that's what I really like about his death.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Contest Voting · Next Topic »
Locked Topic