Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A late topic for a laid-back philosopher
Topic Started: Apr 20 2013, 08:05 PM (516 Views)
Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Garrett Wilde managed to overcome the crippling incompetence of his creator and get approved for V5! His profile is located here, but to summarize Garrett is a committed student focusing on social sciences, creative writing, and philosophy. He's a very easy-going, personable individual who deliberately avoids conflict and goes out of his way to negotiate with people. It's kind of difficult to give concrete examples of his relationships because he's not very quick to form close friendships, but I can see him getting along well with just about everyone and having many acquaintances. In particular, I seem him fitting in well with the following groups from the "Sports and Clubs" list:

School Newspaper: Garrett probably wouldn't be a part of this because he's not that interested in being a reporter himself, but his father is a former international relations correspondent and a novelist, so I can see him being having some interactions with the school journalists. He might make an interesting contact, or conduit for interviews in the area due to his father's plausible connections with Seattle and international journalism.

Speech and Debate: I specifically mention in Garrett's biography that he isn't part of the Speech and Debate club because he finds the general emphasis on disagreement in debate to be distracting. That being said, he really enjoys debating as a way to supplement his knowledge and find flaws in his position. In a way, he enjoys losing a debate far more than winning one, so I think he could have some very positive relationships with avid debaters even if he doesn't necessarily agree with their end goal.

Chess Club: Garrett loves strategy games in general, but he started with chess. He'd get along well with anyone who appreciated the hobby. In a broader sense, I can see him having a positive relationship with any other characters that are into table-top games(especially Warhammer 40k).

Book Club: As mentioned above, Garrett's father is a novelist, so reading is a big part of his life. He'd enjoy discussing and examining books with just about anyone that's interested, and doing it on a regular basis would be a good catalyst for closer relationships.

Creative Writing Club: Garrett enjoys creative writing due to his father's influence, and spends long hours with him walking and creating fictional biographies for the other hikers they encounter. The Creative Writing Club seems like a natural fit for him, and he'd love to get alternative perspectives on his work.

As mentioned above, Garrett doesn't like conflict, so I can't envision what anyone of his more contentious relationships would look like. However, if you have a character that you think wouldn't get along with Garrett, I'm very interested in that as well! I'd like for there to be tests to his Stoicism, the broader id/ego internal conflict inherent to such interactions is very fun for me to write. So essentially, if you think Garrett would be a fun character to play with positively or negatively, let me know. I look forward to working with you all!
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think he'd be particularly sympathetic towards Mirabella's anxiety disorder, since he's suffered from emotional problems in the past. He'd also be very interested in Maynard's views on politics since it seems to mesh really well with his avoidance of conflict and aspirations towards objectivity.
SotF Characters

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorry I've been slow to respond, finals are kind of kicking my ass on and off at the moment.

Quote:

Hey, Doc. Late reply to your late topic.

Hansel's my guy at the moment, and I think we can drum up some negativity, here. His link is in the description, but essentially; Hansel's a sheltered, right-wing catholic, home-schooled by very politically opinionated and religious parents. Because he hates talking for extended periods of time due to a mild stutter, he'd hate debates even moreso - he'd see them as attacks against his stance and probably become very heated.

It all depends on what you'd want; I just saw 'debate' in Garret's profile and figured that since Hansel has firm stances on two hot-button topics, we may be able to roll with it.

Let me know your thoughts.

That's definitely a possible avenue. Garrett doesn't really attach people or try to start arguments, but that in and of itself might be a sore spot with Hansel given how okay Garrett is with neither of them being "right." He's also very, very a-religious, which could cause friction if Hansel is aggressively evangelical. He respects belief on a personal level and doesn't really flaunt his lack of religious conviction, but one of the few things that rubs him the wrong way is people trying to force their beliefs on others. I'd be interested in exploring that relationship.

Quote:

I think he and Ian could be friends. Ian tends to be friendly, disliking conflict, and they share an interest in philosophy, so I could imagine him getting along well with Garrett. He's actually part of the Speech & Debate club, but otherwise I think he and Garrett share a common attitude towards a friendly debate. Ian's also part of the book club, and I think he'd be quite interested in discussing literature with Garrett. He'd also be likely to take an interest in Garrett's writing for friendship's sake (assuming this is something he could know about?)

Also, while he doesn't actually share Garrett's interest in boardgames, he does tend to be willing to go outside his interests to enjoy time with his friends. He probably wouldn't be able to get into something as complex as I gather Warhammer40K is, but perhaps they could occasionally play something like chess?

That sounds great, I think Garrett would really enjoy his perspective on philosophy. As noted above he considers himself a-religious, but he's appreciative of the Christian influence on Stoicism and the implications therein. Garrett's writing isn't really a secret, though he doesn't spend a lot of time dwelling on his creative efforts as it's a small part of his character when compared to his more "professional" work, but I could see them discussing it from time to time, especially over an involved game like Chess since that's the sort of thing Garrett used to do with his grandfather all the time. The parallels there would be something he could greatly appreciate.

Quote:

If you're still around, I'm trying to see who I can get in the game so hit me up and we'll talk shop.

Sure, I'll send you some notes between my classes this morning.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Juhan is in 4/5 clubs that you've mentioned (Creative Writing, Book Club, School Newspaper, Debate) so I think he'd be perfect for Garrett.

I could see them getting along well, especially since they both have fathers who were into foreign correspondence.

Quote:

I can see Gabby and Garrett being good acquaintances, given their chess club mutual membership and the fact that Gabby enjoys people who don't argue.

I think that would work well, and Garrett could definitely use more people to play with.
SotF Characters

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually see Michael and Garrett getting along really well due to their shared interest in table-top gaming. Garrett is more into strategy, but given how much time he spends randomly building fictional profiles for fellow hikers with his dad he could pretty easily slip into RPGs as well.
SotF Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply