Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
POST RESTRICTION MAFIA - GAME THREAD
Topic Started: Mar 25 2013, 05:54 PM (20,829 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A few quick notes, may elaborate more later:

I played this one really differently from most games as scum in that I actually stuck my neck out for other members of my faction instead of busing them ruthlessly the second they slipped even a little. A lot of this was due to the lack of town pressure. As scum, iirc (and this may be wrong; it's been a while) we started by picking off those who were competent and moving in the right direction but didn't have enough of a trail set up to cause trouble as they dropped. Then, when people started roleclaiming, that took priority. We knew Ricky was insane, and I actually kinda wanted to see him get off another investigation to ideally clear me of suspicion, but the risk was too high that we might get messed up later on. I got roleblocked night one, I think, when I tried to lock down Keaka (this played into my suspicion of PA a bit; I knew Keaka had been left unchecked that night).

As to cult, that was actually just bad play due to half-recollections of an older games I played, where cult tended to default towards a secondary recruiter.

As to Vyse: I think the big issue there was, he cookie-crumbed super well, but scum had already realized nobody in town was following it (actually, I figured out Vyse was a tracker about half a day before he claimed, but sadly it was the day phase). Thus, I was able to soft-claim special bodyguard to him without worrying too much about people catching on. Ricky'd been gunning for me since the start, but that actually worked in my favor as some of it was more gut-hunch, and with Vyse and Ricky gone, it'd be easy to defend as "Of course I'm alive--mafia are trying to make you waste a lynch based on what the cop and the tracker said, and, besides, Vyse clearly implied I was not his target."

So, that's the very quick and rough on scum play.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder drawn by Ryuki
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VysePresident
Member Avatar
Long-winded, meticulous, & thoughtful. Mostly long-winded though.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
investigations

Now let's see how well I can remember my thoughts from half a year ago. Just a few quick notes for now, and I'll try to add more when I get the time. No spelling or grammar checks; enter at your own risk.

--To start, I think the single most consistent mistake with my strategy was that I was constantly second-guessing myself. Despite pegging Doc and Murder as scum from Days #1 and #3 respectively, I was waffling so much on this that I made the mistake of focusing solely on Percy. I figured that I could get him hung, and watch Murder and Doc a bit longer before deciding. No way that could go wrong, right?

Looking back, it's almost funny how many times I guessed something correctly, and then failed to act on it. I didn't like lynching Espi or Laurels, but I coasted along with the first, and let myself get talked into the second because, well, Murder made a nice-sounding case, and it was so easy to just go along with it. Day #4 was a complete disaster on my part, as I really should have roleclaimed then. Letting Deamon get lynched, despite knowing it was bad thanks to Percy, was just the icing on the cake. (Fun Fact: Learning Deamon was the Town roleblocker was one of the few times I've ever spontaneously face-palmed.)

--Anyway, long story short, by Day #5, I was finally convinced that Murder was scum, as well as Doc. Despite what I said when I started "The RoleBlocker Gambit", I fully intended to get Murder lynched regardless of what he said, and probably try to get Doc hung as well. There were two reasons I chose to take such a roundabout approach though. The first was that I was hoping to be able to use his soft-claim to get him lynched. The special bodyguard was actually pretty good for my purposes; it was weak enough to help me feel more certain, and it was too good for the mafia to ignore if it were real.

My plan at the time was basically just to call out his soft-claim, and let things take their natural course. The mafia couldn't afford to ignore it if it was real, and so, as I'd have heavily emphasized, if and when he was still alive, there wouldn't really be anything left to discuss. (Then I'd drop the rest of my case, just in case, and people could complain about the walls of text again.)

That said, there was a second reason, and that's where I screwed up.

I wanted to play along for a while, and get Murder's opinion on my Innocent/Suspicious list when he thought I trusted him, and unfortunately, that's what got me waffling again. Y'see, I was highly suspicious of Mara at that point, thanks to Penguin. In retrospect, I don't know why I thought she'd come out swinging at the Miser, but at the time, it seemed a reasonable guess. So, when Murder started going after her, it...surprised me. Just to make matters worse, I'd already been a little suspicious of Whirly and Turtle before, so when they started drawing attention to themselves. and Murder went after them...well, the story's pretty obvious from there.

In the end, I finally said the heck with it, and tried to find a halfway point, kicking the lynch Murder can down the road. Looking back, I fully agree with Murder that it would have been pathetically easy to work around, especially since we were only three nights from a loss. Maybe four, if they hit Decoy. If there's thing I've learned from this, it's that I can be my own worst enemy sometimes.

--Oh, if it's any comfort to you, Percy, the post-restriction thing wasn't anywhere near as big a factor as I made it out to be. I was already mildly suspicious of you, and the fact that I found your 'restriction' interesting was just a bonus (I forget why exactly, but you seemed slightly scummy, and I was focusing my investigations on low-scum reads at the time, like you and Whirl.) I focused on your post restriction as much as I did, at first, because I figured it'd make for a nice smokescreen - let the mafia think that I'd just gotten lucky, as opposed to getting lucky, but with a power role. I did eventually come to believe it, as I thought it seemed like too much of a coincidence otherwise, but it had very little to do with you getting hung. (The Miser eventually killed the idea completely, though I didn't accept it until it was effectively too late.)

...this is my idea of a few quick notes. Oi vey.
Constructive criticism is always welcome! Feel free to send me a PM if you have any pointers or feedback you'd like to share!

Character #1: Boy #37 Ian Williams - Now with 55% less self-insert.
Designated Weapon: Polaroid Instant Camera With Film (Enough for 8 photographs)

Past - | 1 | 2 | (Current thread - Birds of a Feather)
Pregame - None
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (Final Thread - Glass
)
Character #2: Boy #66 Chase Rodriguez - Adopted from Pippin.
Designated Weapon: Silver Pill Box Containing Three Cyanide Capsules

Past - None
Pregame - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (Last seen in - Diversions)
Island - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (Final Thread - Drawing to an End)

(Relationships Planning Thread #Pi)

penguin_alien
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Psyche gave a good overview of cult stuff, but my two cents: I didn't take my vig shot night one because there weren't any really good choices at that point. No counterwagons to a town lynch, no bonafide lurker that stood out to me. Then I got recruited and couldn't shoot again until Psyche died. At that point we got back our powers, but only one of us could use it per night. And it was vig-me, a bodyguard, and a VT. Since using the Bodyguard was detrimental to our win condition, I was the only choice, and I went for our failed recruitment target that led to Psyche's demise: the BP Godfather JillSandwich93. I'd like to think that the surviving cultists would have outed at that point to ensure a scum lynch.

Recruitment-wise, we went for people who weren't likely NK targets and who'd done something that was pro-town. Or at least anti-scum. Like Will putting a superfluous vote on a town wagon--no reason for scum to add their name to a town lynch when it was a done deal.

Being cult definitely messed with my inclination to scum hunt as normal. It was all risk assessment and survivalism.

Oh, and as a miller I also had to come up with my own post restriction. I was going for stupid thug who'd reformed and tried to talk all proper, hence no contractions, and the stupid part for the limited vocabulary of 1-2 syllable words. I wasn't sure if all the scum had to make their own PRs or not...probably should have thought that part through better.

Otherwise, thanks to Namira for modding, and being cultified was An Experience! And I enjoyed scheming with Psyche and the gang.

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Moral of the story: Listen to me more.

When I say my brother's scum, he's fackin' scum.

Also this game pissed me off because it was my introduction to the fact there are such things as insane cops. Yeah, I know, seems elementary. Sue me. I /don't/ play mafia often, and the last mafia I actually got to play extensively behind MLP mafia was like... Disney mafia, and 85% of you weren't around back then.

So I was a little excited I got to be the cop, and then boom, I fucked everything up with a stupid little modifier. Still, while I botched the role, my logic on why Toben was totally anti-town stands and I get to laugh about that for a while.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

penguin_alien
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah...there was a reason we weren't recruiting him. Although I wouldn't have been pushing for his lynch as town until at least day three, and maybe not then.

And I remember Disney Mafia! The set-up was really cool. I think it ran during the 18+ months I lurked here before registering...

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
1) Non-sane cops are technically bastard. We should really start saying whether or not games are bastard (which is standard on MS).

2) Vyse, next time, just claim the caught scum on day 2. You probably can still get a protect at that point, and you trade at worst a goon for a tracker, which is an okay trade. It's generally better to be direct when you have caught scum.
The Living:

Matt Vartoogian -- Weapon: Unarmed -- "This isn't a game. This is evil." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Cassandra Black -- Weapon: Kama -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Virgil Jefferson-Davis -- Weapon: Saiga-12 -- "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I disagree that they're a bastard role. Naive and paranoid cops kind've are, but that's cause they have implied use and are actually completely useless.

But I play in a place where the meta around cops is different.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I like the uncertainty and legwork that goes into figuring out what kind of cop you are. Naive and paranoid cops are pretty bastard roles that I can only see being used in very specific contexts and probably in combination with other roles for flavor purposes, but I think the possibility of it encourages good play, as long as the game master supplies a known "check" entity like a miller, which Namira did.

That being said, the Vig/Miller combination kind of threw me. Not in a bad way, but that was one weird-ass role claim that I wasn't expecting to come true at all. If I hadn't been part of the mafia, I would have fingered PA for an unprotected SK and lynched on that even with the kill confirmation.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Somethin somethin, qt.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

Riki
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This here was my role:

Role

As you may see, I was granted access to various inventions which may or may not have proven useful. I have no idea, really, because I had to figure out the effects of everything myself. I am not enterly sure what I guessed with each one (I think I suspected that "Bubble Shield" was something protective). Now, I am actually quite curious about what these inventions could actually do. Mind sharing, Elena?
Fiyori Senay

Version 7
Version 6
Version 5

ChatShit

My Credentials

VoltTurtle
Member Avatar
The girl who dreams on the back of a giant space turtle.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If we are posting roles... WHY NOT?

role

Turns out we didn't work like the traditional lovers and we wouldn't have died if the other died. We were essentially just masons by a different name.
Turtle's Signature

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Namira
Oct 16 2013, 05:31 AM
I disagree that they're a bastard role. Naive and paranoid cops kind've are, but that's cause they have implied use and are actually completely useless.

But I play in a place where the meta around cops is different.
By MS standards, non-sane cops are bastard because it's your role PM lying to you. Millers who don't know that they are millers are the same.
The Living:

Matt Vartoogian -- Weapon: Unarmed -- "This isn't a game. This is evil." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Virgil Jefferson-Davis -- Weapon: Saiga-12 -- "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant." -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

BROseidon
Member Avatar
Fata viam invenient
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Not saying that bastard is bad, btw, it's just that I like MS's way of telling you "you need to watch out for certain things," because having to watch for cop sanities/lynchers/jesters/etc hugely changes how you approach the game.
The Living:

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sure

Role
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I was targeted by a night kill from someone town that first night, but it failed too, I think I know who (cannibal). So if I wasn't Nurse Ratched I'd probably be gone after night 1 this game too. Funnily, this definitely wasn't one of my better showings because of my poor activity and quick rubbish posting / skimming, so the mafia hyping me up as a big threat behind the scenes made me giggle a little, even though due to the cult thing, they were right in a different way. So it's interesting seeing that the mafia wanted me gone early, when a few other people including town may have targeted me too when I didn't think I was making massive splashes. Darn Jillsandwich and the Haiku "restriction" *shakes fist*! ... Eat Fresh.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Mafia · Next Topic »
Add Reply