Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chance Encounters; Gavin Hunter & Megan Emerson
Topic Started: Dec 13 2012, 06:19 PM (703 Views)
Jilly Shears
Member Avatar
Hey girl hey
[ *  * ]
Sometimes, Megan enjoyed spending hours at the "Barnes & Noble" bookstore after school, looking at all of the latest fiction releases and being blinded by the many covers lined up across the shelves, asking to be taken home and read through. Being surrounded by different works always pleased Megan as much as it frustrated her (after all, there were only so many she could afford at once). However, today was different, as this was no ordinary bookstore visit for her.

Today was Operation: Twilight.

It was a simple mission. All Megan had to do was enter the bookstore, find her way to the young adult fiction section, pick up a copy of the famous novel Twilight, and escape before anyone she knew saw her. Today was the day to see what all of the fuss was about. Megan knew she might not come back alive, but it was a risk she was willing to take.

Megan entered the store and took a quick scan around, scouting for any potential dangers. Lucky for her, it seemed that only a few people were there that afternoon. She saw some high school-age youths, but Megan was sure they weren't in her class. After scouting the field, Megan made her way to the young adult section, trying her best to not get distracted by the symphony of books in her peripheral vision. It dawned on her that bringing horse blinders might have been a good idea.

And then she saw it - the dozens of copies from the four installments, the red and black color scheme, the cardboard cutout of Kristen Stewart's passive gaze (from a still of the New Moon movie released some time ago) staring down onlookers - she found the Twilight shrine. Megan took a minute to view the constructional beauty as a few middle school aged girls went up to the shrine. She almost didn't feel worthy being in its presence.

But no, Megan had come so far to give up now. As soon as the two thirteen-year-old girls that came before her were out of Megan's sight, she did the deed. A copy of Stephenie Meyer's magnum opus was in her hands, with its famous red apple in the center of the cover for all to see. Now all she had to do was brave the cashier in the front, and then she could escape. It would be the perfect crime.

...But, Megan decided to deviate a little from her original plan. She opened the tome and flipped to the first chapter and began to skim through the words, taking in the sweet aroma that rose out of the new pages. After all, she didn't see anyone she knew, so who cared? Her curiosity was at its limit.
Edited by Jilly Shears, Dec 15 2012, 12:21 AM.
V5
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jilly Shears
Member Avatar
Hey girl hey
[ *  * ]
Well...everything's in...complete sentences?

As Megan skimmed through the pages of the text, she couldn't help but feel some mixed emotions. Yes, there were some...interesting word choices that would make Shakespeare cry, but at least it was grammatically correct for the most part. Hey, at least it was readable. However, right in the middle of reading the 5th page, a distinctly British voice appeared from nowhere.

"Excuse me; I'm sorry to interrupt, but I can't help but feel that you're in danger of making a terrible mistake in choosing that title."

Megan nearly threw the novel in the air at the voice. When she turned to look, a tall, black-haired boy about her age was standing right by her. Oh god, how embarrassing. She was caught reading Twilight, right in the middle of the bookstore; maybe those horse blinders would have been a good investment after all.

Megan stood shocked for a few moments while analyzing the situation - should she abort her mission and run away like a coward, or should she stand her ground with this boy? Normally the former would be the default option for Megan, but something about this guy intrigued her - she didn't know if it was his accent, his formal speech pattern, or his demeanor, but she wanted to know more about him. Plus, for some reason, she felt like she had seen him before - countless times, in fact. But who was he?

At his sudden invitation to look for something less "terrible", Megan snapped back into reality. "...It's not what it looks like. Believe me, I wouldn't consider Twilight to be good 'literature'." She silently shut the book and returned it to its rightful place on the mecca. "I just got curious about how bad it really is, but I don't really know a lot of people who actually have the novels, so..."

"...Yeah." Megan nervously laughed, hoping her excuse would fly by with the boy.
V5

Jilly Shears
Member Avatar
Hey girl hey
[ *  * ]
"Oh, don't worry; I don't really know what I was thinking, honestly...I guess I needed a hero." Megan sighed in relief. It was embarrassing enough being caught red-handed with Twilight in the middle of a bookstore; had the black-haired boy not believed her, she would have doubted her own intentions about reading the book. Plus, he appeared to relax as well, which in turn calmed Megan's embarrassment.

Megan paused as she folded her arms and gazed at her feet. "Gavin, huh..." She suddenly remembered where she's seen this boy before - yeah, he definitely went to Aurora High. Though they never interacted with each other face-to-face, Megan could recall several times in the student center or the library where he would be reading some sort of historical book as she passed by him. She dubbed him "Book Guy", but never really thought much about striking up a conversation with him since he always looked to be buried in his books. However, now that she had a name...

Megan opened her arms and returned her eyes to Gavin. "...Do you go to Aurora High, by any chance? Oh, and I'm Megan by the way."
V5

Jilly Shears
Member Avatar
Hey girl hey
[ *  * ]
"Well..." Megan's eyes darted up for a brief moment, "...I guess I don't really have a 'favorite' kind of book; I don't like being labelled as something like a 'sci-fi' reader or a 'horror' reader since I skip around genres. But if I had to say what my favorites are, I guess I like good books," Megan laughed a little, hoping Gavin would catch her joke.

Megan feared to open up to people when she first talked to them; after all, she felt first and second impressions do count, no matter what people spat out. Opening up about one of her favorite pastimes intimidated Megan a little, especially to someone who seemed so well-versed and read like this tall British guy standing in front of her. However, she opened the door for conversation, plus Gavin didn't judge her for looking through Stephenie Meyer's insanely popular novel. What's the worst that could happen, Gavin throwing one of those historical tomes at her in disgust?

"I...I like reading novels, really. Old ones like To Kill a Mockingbird or Grapes of Wrath, or new ones like that The Lovely Bones book that came out some time ago or...well, ya know..." Megan motioned her head towards the blasphemous shrine. "...Again, not that I actually read any of those books until you caught me. You just get kind of curious about why something gets popular with movie deals and stuff from nowhere...or at least I do anyway. But...well...yeah," Megan trailed her words off as she completed her thoughts.

After a brief pause, Megan looked up at the gentleman and reopened her mouth, "It's certainly not like those texts I've seen you reading everywhere."
Edited by Jilly Shears, Dec 17 2012, 02:25 AM.
V5

Jilly Shears
Member Avatar
Hey girl hey
[ *  * ]
Megan snorted at Gavin's dig on the Twilight novels, and in the realization of what she just did, she initiated a laughing fit from embarrassment, getting uncontrollably inconspicuous and tearing up in the process. It was one thing she hated about herself - if she started laughing uncontrollably, she had to force herself to stop. She could never just "stop" if she started.

After some time, Megan's breathing slowed down as her laughter was able to die off. She rubbed her eyes with her right hand to clean up from the mess. "I'm sorry; guess I really liked your 'woman's suffrage' thing." Megan hoped Gavin hadn't been embarrassed too badly by her.

However, Megan realized she didn't answer Gavin's philosophical view on books. Maybe it was just the fact that she's cursed with a literal mind for literary analysis, but she realized that she didn't want to answer him. Reading into symbolism always bothered Megan, unless it was something obvious or she knew about it beforehand. She ain't the author after all, so she hardly read into things too deeply. But she knew she didn't feel the need to tell Gavin her view on books too, not just yet anyway. Besides, that would open them up for conversation at another time; plus, maybe he won't notice her lack of a response because of what just happened.

After some awkward silence between the two, Megan replied to Gavin's last question, "Sure, that'd be gr-." She felt her phone quaking in her jeans' pocket and whipped it out to see a text message from her brother. Her fingers danced around the keypad, and after sending her reply Megan returned the phone to its original place.

"Sorry, I didn't know so much time passed. I kinda made plans with someone today, so I didn't expect to take so long. It was nice meeting you, Gavin. Maybe we should meet up in the library at school sometime? Ya know, to make fun of the lack of books and stuff?" Megan about-faced and walked down the aisle of books towards the entrance. However, before she got out of the aisle, she rotated around and faced the British boy again. "Oh, and thanks." And with that, Megan left the store while avoiding the gaze of the other customers who heard her outburst.

Sure, Operation: Twilight was a bust, and Megan got embarrassed twice within the span of several minutes, but whatever. She still considered the mission a success - albeit with a different outcome than she had expected. Yes, today was a success for sure.
V5

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Memories (The Past) · Next Topic »
Add Reply