Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Beware Of The Boys
Topic Started: Nov 19 2012, 10:36 PM (1,715 Views)
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Paris walked into the coffee shop at a leisurely pace, bobbing his head to some music he was listening too. There seemed to be something rhythmic about the very act of walking as he strolled. One foot in front of the other with his hands in his pockets and stylish sunglasses making it impossible to see where he was looking. He was wearing a plain maroon t-shirt and a fitted black jacket with straight-legged jeans.

He was there to meet Naomi. He'd been confused over a problem in math and she so graciously was willing to help him. He liked talking with her, she seemed to be intelligent and had interesting things to say as well as being pleasing to the eye so he decided to invite her to talk more over coffee. He saw her sitting in the café reading. She was studious. He liked that.

Paris smoothly slid into the seat opposite of her and pushed his sunglasses.

"Hello, Naomi."
things
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Of course. I wouldn't stand you up."

Paris looked to the chalkboard behind the counter at the various beverages and foods offered at the establishment. He lifted the sunglasses up and pushed them onto his head, revealing now his green eyes.

"Haven't been waiting long, I hope," he said, turning back to her with a smile. Her hands was half obscuring the cover of the book she'd been reading upon his entry. A Clockwork Orange.

"I've heard of the book and the movie, but I've never seen it. No interest in it, I suppose, though I guess I don't really know what it's about."

She was very pretty and very dignified. Naomi was someone he could see himself spending more time with. She seemed demure and intelligent, but not ostentatious.

"If you find it interesting, I'd like to hear about it."
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
After Naomi was done with her explanation Paris held up a finger and left the table briefly. He returned with a beverage and settled back into his seat.

"Sorry for excusing myself. That does sound unusual. It's an interesting concept to be sure. It sounds like a bit of a shame that the experiment didn't stick. I mean, surely he would have been better off as a good person, wouldn't he? Though I guess it's preferable if he had found something to inspire him to be good, it might have stuck then."

He leaned forward with both hands around the warm drink. He mirrored Naomi and took a sip of whatever was in the cup and smiled. She seemed nervous, which was really quite cute to him. He supposed her nerves came from a place of wanting to impress, which showed a level of caring, but not too dominating.

"Yes, I am aware that there are many other books that exist other than Clockwork Orange," he said with a good natured chuckle. A little teasing wouldn't hurt her too much. "I do read quite a lot though. The Alchemist is one of my favorite books and one that I've read recently. Other than the Bible of course."
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Paris took another sip of his hot drink and nodded sagely. A barrista came by and set a plate of biscotti at the table. He picked up one of the thin cookies and took a bite out of the end.

"Very good," he beamed. "For someone who hasn't heard of it you know a little known fact," he said pointing to her with a wink. "There is a story in One Thousand and One Nights that has a similar structure to that presented in The Alchemist. It's very short in Arabian Nights though, the story is only about 7 pages long. I imagine it was one of the nights that Scheherazade was a little tuckered out," he said, amused at his own joke.

"It's a story of self discovery through a journey. Finding oneself through experiences and faith and eventually finding what you were meant to do. There's something very comforting and appealing in thinking that we all have a thing meant for us and that we'll find it."

He ran his long fingers around the outside of the smooth white surface of the plate the cookies were resting on. Looking a bit absent and lost in thought for a moment, tracing around and circling the middle of the plate.

"In the case of your young man if he wasn't happy being good, that's not really the concern of everyone else. If he wasn't going to be good and couldn't be happy being as one should, it seems fitting that he try to kill himself. Maybe it is a bit of a cop out for him to become good if your impression is that he couldn't be. A little cynicism is good for the blood, but only a little. I must admit that I didn't take you for someone to eschew an overly optimistic ending, but it's a twist that I like in you."

Paris held out one of the cookies to her. "Biscotti?"
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He looked cheerful over the edge of his mug. Paris liked her thus far, and in fact, wanted to know more to make a more complete judgement.

"In any case, thanks so much for helping me out earlier. You're a real life saver, Naomi. And it seems so weird that we've never really talked much one on one. I hope you don't think I'm too annoying or forward. I imagine someone like you would have a lot of guys asking her out and it'd break my heart if I knew you were just too polite to turn me down," he said, clutching his heart and dramatically slumping. He popped back up and continued munching on a cookie with a smile.

"You're a lucky duck, though, you know? Naomi, it's a name from the Old Testament. It's Hebrew for beautiful. It'd be kind of awkward if you were given that name and turned out to be a aesthetically challenged," he said thoughtfully.
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Mmmhmm."

Paris nodded deeply, eyes closed.

"It's been a real anchor in my life. I'm very dedicated to my faith and I think it provides good guidance in people's lives, including mine. My mother and I are both very involved in the church. My..."

Paris looked downcast for the first time since entering the shop. In fact, it was a very unusual expression for the normally fairly chipper young man.

"My father was a kind of hedonistic sort, quite irresponsible. To me, that's the sort of thing that happens when you don't have the guidance of faith with you. You become susceptible to unsavory influences in life. There is a certain comfort in knowing that there is a plan for us. That is, if you are willing to devote your life to Him. That keeping on a path that is asking of you will lead to inner peace."

Paris fiddled with his cup for a moment before taking another sip and brightening back up again.

"It's very important to me, yes. Sorry that was so round about!" he said, seemingly waving away the temporary drop in spirit.

"And you?"
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Naomi didn't seem very receptive suddenly. She expressed her atheism as Paris was ringing the biscotti plate with his finger again. Round and round until she'd spoken and then suddenly his long index finger arched and his nail scraped against the ceramic noiselessly and then stopped. Paris bit his lip for a moment. He sat up a little straighter and pushed his slightly wavy hair away from his face.

"Sure. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion."

Paris smiled at her just like he'd smiled at her before. Not unusual as he was frequently smiling. And though his smile was the same there was something intangibly different about the way that he smiled. His large, deep eyes seemed a little more defined due to the narrowing of his dark lashes.

Paris tilted his head to one side and his gaze moved over the girl across from him. His smiled had faded a little while he looked over her.

"If you don't mind me asking, what brought you to that conclusion?"

things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Paris' expression softened as he listened, leaning his tiled head against a hand.

"Fossils and faith aren't mutually exclusive. I think maybe you've just kind of got the wrong idea about it. I'm guessing none of your family is really much into it either. The idea of someone watching over is supposed to be comforting. Not so much a scary dude who watches you when you pig out on pizza, but someone who deals with ultimate justice. Good people don't have to worry about Him because they are rewarded."

His voice was kind and gentle as he spoke. He seemed completely and utterly sincere.

"It's about having a code to live by and believing in something bigger than yourself which leads to a sense of community. In having faith you automatically have a whole, huge family of people who share a common identity and believe that's based on a really nice code; being nice to others, respecting parents. If you want, you could come with me some Sunday to see what it's about. Being someone who values empirical evidence, it would only make sense you experience something personally before dismissing it."
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"It's different than other communities because the people are bound together not only by their belief which is a personal thing and quite strong, but as well by common practices and ideals. I doubt you could say that about your neighborhood home owners association," he said with a bit of a laugh.

"You are right that there are other types of communities of course, but this is a special sort. Since you admit that neither you nor your family has first hand experience with it, well, I suppose it makes sense that you would characterize it as such. That's alright though, if you aren't exposed then it's hard to have an accurate impression."

Paris leaned forward just slightly. His look didn't waver, though seemed to be running over her as if looking for something.

"I think that the codes are something that give good people reinforcement and less kind people guidelines. What about laws, Naomi? Wouldn't you say that it doesn't speak very well for a society that needs laws in order to make sure that people don't do bad things? What does it say about one that does? And in any case, I think that deep down, you agree guidelines are necessary. What about your young man from your book? Weren't you so miffed when he suddenly became good of his own accord because it didn't fit? Because people don't just switch like that? Because you think that he needed those perimeters that were placed on him to be good?"

things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Then I assume you go to the legislature personally to make sure that they do their jobs and they are supposed to and you read all legislation that is passed in its entirety to make sure that the law is as others say it is, then?"

His drink was fairly forgotten by this point, laying idly in front of him.

"And you know certainly that the things written that you hold true in accordance with your laws, written over two hundred years ago appear exactly as they were intended and written by some men long dead that you've never known?"

Paris smiled his knife sharp smile.

"You have your own faith with your own rules just as I have mine. You don't see it as much, but it's there. So why is mine less valid than yours?"

He leaned forward a bit, his voice, normally deep but smooth, taking on an especially low timbre.

"And you are being disingenuous with your examples, dear Naomi. Saying that someone who is a delinquent likes the Bible, who probably only likes it for the violence present, as a way to try and discredit an argument is like saying that Miranda rights are for the degenerate because someone only liked Miranda v Arizona because of the rape and murder aspect."

things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Paris's eyes were intently focused on her. However, she agreed to call a truce of sorts. He shrugged and decided to let it go. "You are free to believe whatever you like."

But then she decided to be rather rude. And though he knew it was wrong to be rude and knew he would feel badly about it later, he couldn't help but be rude back. Paris pulled out his wallet and took out a few bills for the drinks and food.

"For the record, perhaps you shouldn't dismiss things you've never tried full out and then be rude about it. If you didn't want to come with me on Sunday, you just had to say so. Good luck to the next guy who tries to take you out to a new restaurant you've never been to."

He threw the bills on the table and walked out of the café.

((Paris Ardennes continued elsewhere))
things

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Memories (The Past) · Next Topic »
Add Reply