Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Exposition-->Rising Action; Open to all, Late Junior Year
Topic Started: Jul 13 2012, 03:33 PM (2,007 Views)
Solitair
Member Avatar
Where modesty's ill manners, 'tis but fit that impudence and malice pass for wit.
[ *  *  *  * ]
“Yeah, I get like that all the time,” Arthur said to Yaz. “I was almost like that right now.”

By the fourth or fifth time Arthur made himself go outdoors and draw, his initial anxiety at the prospect had started to abate. It wasn’t the wide open space that made him nervous. He kind of liked the fresh air when there wasn’t any dust or pollen being blown into his face. It wasn’t the hard and dirty surfaces that were uncomfortable to sit or lie on. He could get used to that. It wasn’t even the idea of walking everywhere. The more opportunities he got to shave off calories, the better.

No, it was the loneliness that got to him. He didn’t often go out by himself because of how quiet everything was around him. There were barely any people outside, all of them strangers and unknowns, and so he started to feel like the friendly faces from his memories didn’t exist at all. If he were to need help, or if some of his more negative thoughts started to surface, he wouldn’t be able to lean on anyone. It was why he liked the internet so much. He had so many people available through one filter, at least in theory, and so he never felt alone for long. Even though he had a laptop, using it outdoors was quite the challenge, and so he often didn’t bother, putting him back at square one.

His comfort zone was squarely with his laptop, indoors, taking in things and learning rather than putting them out there for everyone to see. But sooner or later, he’d have to leave that zone, whether he liked it or not. He could already assume that Yaz and Rachael were already starting out on that path. And so he greeted them when he saw them at the gazebo, sketchbook and pencil in hand. He was a little louder than he’d liked to have been in answering Yaz’s question, but he was so happy to have actually heard that from thirty feet away that he didn’t wait to answer.

Once that happened, he walked over to the gazebo and sat down across from Rachael. She was smart enough to have brought her laptop, apparently, not that she was using it. “What’re you doing with that?” he asked her. “More writing?”
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown
WickedIcon: this is the best dollar i've spent in several years

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

Turning Pages: Read some books along with me, why don't you?

V4:
Spoiler: click to toggle

V5:
Arthur Wells: The Artist ... ... ... ... ?
Rose Matheson: The Sprinter ... ?
Ilya Volkov: The Wrestler ... ... ... ... !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Solitair
Member Avatar
Where modesty's ill manners, 'tis but fit that impudence and malice pass for wit.
[ *  *  *  * ]
“Eh,” Arthur said with a shrug. “Getting away from things.” He leaned against one of the support beams of the gazebo and looked down at the floor. Really, that was probably the best way to phrase it, or maybe he just couldn’t bring himself to think of a better way right now. It was good enough for friends, right?

Yaz appeared to just be talking at the moment. If she drew anything, she wasn’t working on it at the moment or displaying it out in the open, where Arthur could see it. But Rachael, on the other hand, had just shared a plot thread with Arthur, which made his face light up. “Huh, really?” he asked. “Can I ask how that goes? Is she right about all that? No wait, that would be a spoiler, wouldn’t it?” He chuckled and sat next to Rachael. “Maybe I can just draw Lady Rhiannon or the knife for you instead. Until it’s finished and I can read it, I mean.”

When asked what he was working on, he opened his sketchbook, seeing a blank page where he left his bookmark. Nothing there, not yet. Arthur turned the page and saw a spread of cartoon horses drawn so densely that there wasn’t a single space left to doodle in. There were ponies walking, ponies talking, ponies joking and playing and… stealing kisses from one another. His gaze lingered on a drawing of Twilight Sparkle blushing and looking away from Rainbow Dash with a smile on her face.

He silently flipped the page back. There was no need for Rachael to see that, even if she’d already glanced at it from over his shoulder. “I haven’t really started work on anything yet,” he said, taking out a pencil and starting a new sketch, this one of a human character in a dynamic pose.
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

V4:

V5:

Solitair
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Arthur shifted his lips to the left when he heard Rachael's reasoning for politely denying his help in drawing her character. He got what she was saying, since he was an amateur writer himself, with a decent amount of characters that he'd commissioned drawings of over the internet. Sometimes he got concerned about the accuracy of these depictions, since the artist had never heard of the character in question before and thus wouldn't know how to make them act unless Arthur told them. Sometimes it worked out, and sometimes it didn't. If Rachael wanted a better way of showing him who this Lady Rhiannon was, so be it.

That said, he was starting to feel a bit of an artist's block coming on, and thus he was always on the lookout for new drawing subjects. Who knew if he'd even remember who Lady Rhiannon was in a week, let alone that he wanted to draw her. If only he'd brought some kind of notepad or...

Arthur looked up at the sound of the bell, then back down at the sketchbook. "Okay, shoot. Gotta go, see you later." He quickly wrote "ask Rachael to draw Lady Rhiannon" on the edge of the page and slammed the book shut.

Right as he slung his backpack on and started to run out, he looked back over at Yaz. Now that he thought about it, he kind of monopolized the whole conversation. He did know Rachael quite a bit more than Yaz, and was more comfortable talking to her, but that was no excuse to ignore her as much as he did. "Sorry about that, Yaz. We can talk later, right?" He started walking away before Yaz could answer him.

((Arthur Wells continued elsewhere))

V4:

V5:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Memories (The Past) · Next Topic »
Add Reply