Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Church Thread; Because there's something these kids gotta do on sunday
Topic Started: Jun 25 2012, 07:55 AM (2,003 Views)
Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello there everybody! Most characters (and correct me if I'm wrong) are usually christian, unless stated otherwise. However, the only time I've ever seen anybody in church is when they were on the island. Now, I know that not every christian goes to church, but for some characters religion is a very big part of their life, and I think this would be a good chance to explore that. Also, I'm not saying your character has to be super religious either(A lot of people I know don't like going to church), so a few people bored out of their minds (or "idgaf") would be nice too. And obviously, If you're character isn't christian they likely won't be there, unless they have very,very,very good reason. It would probably be in the Around Town section in the Events/Other sub-forum. So, anyone up for it?
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hunt11
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Depending when it occurs Ethan would make an appearance.
Current Characters

Ethan Johnson If you notice anything about my posts that could be improved on, feel free to PM me.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It'll happen in pregame, or at least that's probably where it'll happen.

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
*Edit - After some thinking, this probably isn't the best idea for my characters after all.

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ooh, My bad. Yeah, just whenever you get the time will be fine.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've got a couple kids who are into church, so I could drop someone in.

A few little things:

-My understanding is that typically people go to a specific church every time. Christian churches have a wide range of specific denominations and political bents and such, so everyone'd have to be the same type of Christian, or the church would have to be non-denominational (which I'm sure some families wouldn't want).

-I don't necessarily think "Christian-unless-stated-otherwise" is a safe bet for characters' spiritual views. I think, more often, it's safe to assume that a character shares his/her handler's beliefs unless stated otherwise (I mean, of course, that doesn't help so much if you don't know the handler's beliefs), because a lot of people just don't think much about religion when doing profiles and mods don't really ask about it. This is because, for many characters, it doesn't play a huge role in who they are/what they do in game. The vast majority of my characters, for example, have been somewhere on the line between atheist and agnostic, but that's only come up in passing except, like, in Evo.

-I'd like to request that we make really sure that this scene is tasteful and respectful. Christians kinda get a bad time on SOTF, for some reason. I can't even count the number of "Christian Crusader" type players we've had. Usually, if religion comes up as a key part of a character, it's to justify really terrible stuff or to make a character look like a neo-conservative. I'm not Christian myself, but I've been to church some with some of my girlfriend's relatives, and at least what I saw was not at all a boring brainwashing session or anything of the sort. I guess, I think it'd be really awesome if we had the scene take place at a cool church. :)

-Maybe we should do this in a memory thread? That'd open up a lot more space/availability options for people. A church thread is like a classroom thread in that it may get pretty non-interactive, so I'd say it's at a high risk of stalling out. Handling it in memories allows for easier escape and minimal disruption.

Phew. Sorry for all the comments! This just sounds like a pretty cool idea, and I want to help it reach is full potential.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Cake
Member Avatar
Psychedelic!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
*Edit - After some thinking, this probably isn't the best idea for my characters after all.

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Of course, It'll be respectful! Also, the two most common denominations in America are Protestant and Catholic, but R.J. himself is Catholic, so it would happen in a Catholic church. Also, my guy is still in a memories thread that's been kinda slowing down. Plus pregame allows characters who have just recently moved to Seattle to participate as well :).

Now by cool church, what do you mean? Is the priest really friendly? Are all the people really nice?

Hunt11
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Ethan is Protestant so it would not make much sense for him to go to a Catholic service.
Current Characters

Ethan Johnson If you notice anything about my posts that could be improved on, feel free to PM me.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Aloha
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jason would go as long as it's a Christian church.
Characters

Chat Quotes

Arts!

Open to constructive criticism!

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
First off, saying "Protestant" is a huge generalization of Christian denominations. Yes they all fall under the blanket of Protestantism, but that's because the comparison is Catholicism. There are Lutherans, Baptists, United, Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodists, and so on. Of course, you could just handwave that to some degree and put everybody into the same denomination, but in that case, some research would be good.

Anyway, I do have a Catholic character, and wouldn't entirely mind dropping into a thread for this. I've even already named a parish, so unless somebody had a better/existing idea, we can stick to using St. Edward's Church (although I think my original idea involved it being more geared towards immigrants and ethnic minorities).

Also, if anybody needs some help to figure out more minute details about faith and spirituality and where the Church stands on those topics, feel free to drop me a PM. Or you could ask in this thread if the mods are okay with opening it up for that...
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's one I found. However I don't know if we should use it or not, and if not, we can still use it as a basis and change the name to St.Edwards.

((Also, WOOT WOOT 100th POST))
Edited by Un-Persona, Jun 28 2012, 06:46 AM.

AtomicVandal
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Frank could go to church, if only because of the social background. He's born to Spanish parents which are likely to be Catholic theirselves.
V5 Fresh Meat

Francisco "Frank" Reyes "Well...Damn"

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm raising a hand to say I don't see this working from the perspective of a thread, nothing to do with spirituality and denominations and so on. There's little to no available interaction with other characters.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmm...I'm sure will figure something out.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply