Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Ilya Volkov
Topic Started: Jun 6 2012, 10:47 PM (1,067 Views)
Solitair
Member Avatar
Where modesty's ill manners, 'tis but fit that impudence and malice pass for wit.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Name: Ilya Petrovich Volkov
Grade: 12th
School: Aurora High School
Hobbies and Interests: Professional wrestling, mixed martial arts, reading, the outdoors, exploration, violin playing

Appearance: Ilya is 5'11" in height and 190 pounds in weight. He has a healthy, muscular body with broad shoulders and toned arms. Much of his skin is on the pale side, but less so on his face and neck. His hair is dirty blonde, short and tousled, his eyes are robin's egg blue, and he maintains a slightly darker stubble on his face instead of shaving completely. The expression on his face is usually blank or pensive, rarely including a smile.

When he isn't exercising or practicing his wrestling, he prefers to wear clothing that covers his body whenever the weather allows for it to be worn comfortably. Of these outfits, his favorite is an indigo cardigan, knit blue cap, jeans and boots. He typically stands, sometimes when a seat is available, with rigid posture.

Biography: Ilya was born in 1992 to Petr and Yelena Volkov. The couple lived in St. Petersburg most of their lives, supported by the government job Petr earned working for the mayor's office. In his early life, Ilya was a curious and energetic child, given to nearly paralytic wonder and awe whenever he saw something new, usually a new environment like a school or a park. On more than one occasion his parents were notified when he'd climbed into an area he wasn't supposed to get to. During primary school, his parents decided to get him interested in new hobbies to occupy his interest so that he wouldn't have so much energy left for getting into dangerous places not meant for children.

For the rest of Ilya's time in Russia, he made the habit of trying out various sports. He had at least some aptitude for most of them, though teamwork was his weak point in those early days, so he gravitated to solo sports. Just as he was finally specializing in martial arts (mostly focusing on Systema and Sambo), his father suddenly announced his intention to take the family out of Russia and move to America. Said announcement came in the wake of the 2000 elections, when Vladimir Putin became the official president of the Russian Federation. Petr had a longstanding grudge against Putin from his early days in politics, but Ilya never fully understood why. All that was truly made clear was that Petr refused to live in a country where Putin rode into power with popular support, so he was going to Seattle and taking his family with him. This meant ripping Ilya from the social network of fellow child martial artists he was just starting to develop and pulling him out of an interesting tournament scene. He would come to see his father's decision to move as foolish and based on a childish grudge, though he would rarely share that feeling with other people.

As a result of being uprooted and placed in an unfamiliar environment, having to learn a new language to interact with new people, Ilya grew more introverted and quiet, retreating into the exploration of natural environments and buildings since that didn't require language at all. When his parents, who had already restarted their old careers in politics (Petr) and horticulture (Yelena), noticed him relapsing, they tried a different approach, personally helping him learn to read and engage in more intellectual pursuits. He ended up taking to the sound of the violin, learning how to play what would become his favorite instrument at his mother's behest, and he also got in the habit of reading whatever books he could find for pleasure.

Ultimately though, the path to his biggest interest would come independently of his parents' efforts. One day in middle school he caught sight of a friend watching old wrestling matches on television. He was immediately entranced by the athleticism on display, as well as the spirited competition and theatricality of the presentation. From that point on, he studied the world of pro wrestling, and directed his first serious career aspirations to the field. Rather than being disappointed that wrestling was choreographed, as he soon learned, he was impressed that the ruse of kayfabe was maintained for so long.

He finished middle school with the intention of becoming a professional wrestler, but once he did more research, he learned the downsides of the career. For starters, the state of American wrestling came up short in his eyes compared to bygone years, and he started to hear unsavory stories from behind the scenes about petty politics and revolting behavior from people in the business. He tried acting out the non-physical parts of the job in privacy, but after giving multiple promos in privacy, he just ended up embarrassed with his performances, and increasingly suspecting that his Russian origins would just be made into a stereotype by writers. After joining the amateur wrestling club in school, which was not choreographed, he talked with his seniors and discovered that mixed martial arts would be a better use of his talents. By the end of freshman year, he switched completely over to aspiring and preparing for an MMA career. Naturally, his parents aren't convinced that it's a valid career path for him, knowing full well how quickly athletes wear themselves out. His father in particular expressed the most indignation, expecting Ilya to follow him into politics without argument. For the first time, Ilya fought back and did not let his father get his way, making a good case for his future career as an athlete, winning over his mother and making his father grudgingly take the "if it makes you happy" stance.

Growing up with a father who often held grudges and acted in ways that made no sense to Ilya made him approach puberty differently than most boys. He became aware of hormones giving him his father's irrational impulses and did his best to suppress them, using the "Spock" character from an otherwise uninteresting TV show as a role model of sorts. In high school, that behavior became second nature to him, to the point where he rarely gave dating and romance any thought. He channels his emotions into his private promos halfheartedly, worried that they'll get him into the bad habit of uncalculated outburst.

From the outside, Ilya looks taciturn and stony. Being Russian, he's not in the habit of smiling in public, so other students have told him he's difficult to approach, so he often does the approaching himself. Outside the wrestling ring, he's quiet and thoughtful, either looking at the scenery or reading a book when he isn't talking with someone. Despite his emotional distance, he's talkative, level-headed, intelligent, and slow to anger.

Advantages: Thanks to his training, Ilya is fitter and in better shape than the average teenager, and is fairly strong as well. He's also used to keeping a cool head under pressure, and is unlikely to make rash decisions.
Disadvantages: By the same token, he's not good at making split-second decisions, and seems likely to hesitate at a critical moment.
Edited by Solitair, Jun 28 2012, 04:44 PM.
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown
WickedIcon: this is the best dollar i've spent in several years

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

Turning Pages: Read some books along with me, why don't you?

V4:
Spoiler: click to toggle

V5:
Arthur Wells: The Artist ... ... ... ... ?
Rose Matheson: The Sprinter ... ?
Ilya Volkov: The Wrestler ... ... ... ... !
Offline Profile Goto Top

Outfoxd
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Brad, I'll be grabbing your bio here. Ilya's DENIED pending some additions to some things.

Firstly, it's a little vague as to what sort of training/sports Ilya's into. I know you say he started specializing in martial arts before the family uprooted to Seattle, but in what kind? Competitively, or just for himself (Being from Russia it was likely either Sambo or Judo).

The same goes for the interest in MMA that he was culminating. Is he actually training somewhere, or does he just watch it? Does he want to fight? How do his parents feel about him and MMA? How do they feel about the wrestling?

In your interests, you should denote that his interests lie in Professional Wrestling specifically. Otherwise we might think that he's a scholastic wrestler, which is something entirely different.

When the Volkov's get to Seattle, how did they manage to support themselves? I'd like to see what kind of work they managed to get in the wake of their exodus. More on how this move affected Ilya's personality would be helpful as well.

We might want some more on Ilya's relationships, maybe even something on how he does with members of the opposite sex. How does he do in school, as well?

Basically, most of what I want to see is more fleshing out of Ilya as a person. Most of his stuff is a bundle of interests and hobbies. Some elaboration and fleshing out will help the readers understand him better.

Go ahead and make your edits, and I'll take a second look!
V5 Characters:

Leona Van Kamp
Current Thread: Arcadia

Offline Profile Goto Top

Solitair
Member Avatar
Where modesty's ill manners, 'tis but fit that impudence and malice pass for wit.
[ *  *  *  * ]
Two weeks later, I finally get around to revision. I'm sure there are a couple of concerns here that I missed fixing, but I can worry about those later.
WickedIcon: i just launched a baby wearing a denim jacket and a bowler hat across a hospital, through a window, killing several patients, destroying thousands of dollars of equipment, and finally coming to rest on the body of a presumably dead clown

chitoryu12I have yet to find gay sex that involves the men punching each other. I must not be on the internet enough

V4:

V5:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Outfoxd
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Couple more things. You write
Quote:

He stuck to his goals in high school, joining the wrestling club and training himself to be good enough to find a professional trainer, having seen the downsides to backyard wrestling and deciding he wanted no part of it.

Just need some clarification, did he join the amateur wrestling club? I don't think the school has a club for pro wrestling, so I just want some verification on what club it is he's joining.

Just to be clear, he hasn't started training in MMA yet? I just want some explicit mention that he's either training or just thinking about it.

Also, his disadvantage of zoning out might need some more explanation. Does he have a tendency to daydream, or something of that nature? I want to be sure what it means by that, because it could come into play in-game.
V5 Characters:

Leona Van Kamp

Offline Profile Goto Top

Solitair
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Another fix this time.

V4:

V5:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Outfoxd
Contender
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
APPROVED
V5 Characters:

Leona Van Kamp

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Approved Registrations · Next Topic »
Locked Topic