Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interested in Mini-Mafia?
More Mafia! :::pounce::: 11 (52.4%)
Yes, but only if I'm not currently playing in a big game 3 (14.3%)
Yes, but... (elaborate in comments) 0 (0%)
Nah, I prefer the large games exclusively 2 (9.5%)
Nope, I think the suggestion is majorly flawed (please elaborate in comments) 1 (4.8%)
No. 1 (4.8%)
Other (elaborate in comments) 0 (0%)
Wait, when did the Mafia arrive on the island? Did they team up with the terrorists? ARE THEY THE TERRORISTS?!? 3 (14.3%)
Total Votes: 21
Smaller concurrent Mafia games?
Topic Started: Jun 1 2012, 02:04 PM (865 Views)
penguin_alien
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hey all,

So the Mafia discussion thread had some talk about the gigantic Mafia games in play here (along with some fun with graphs!) and I floated the idea of having a venue for smaller Mafia games here for the purposes of giving inexperienced mods a smaller fish pond to start out in, for people who get lynched Day One to be involved in something in the subforum, and to play more basic games by virtue of their size. I'd like to get a sense of whether anyone else would be up for that. I don't want to detract from the great large games going on, but this might also be a setting for those who are unsure about their willingness to jump into a giant game or just want more mafia, kind of like the SOTF Mini site.

Please feel free to leave feedback on the idea, including what kind of limitations seem like a good idea to keep this distinct from the featured game, as it were. I'm happy to administrate stuff for this, i.e. waiting list maintenance, if the idea generates enough interest and doesn't bother anyone.

EDITED TO ADD: As Hollyquin said, the idea of having more than one Mafia game going at a time was initially hers: proper credit and all!
Edited by penguin_alien, Jun 1 2012, 10:36 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Courtography
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
I'm voting no, simply because having more than one game doesn't add anything.

This might be my own pet peeve here, but mafia really doesn't help SOTF as a whole. I enjoy it, but it gets old to see posts being delayed because of a handler focusing so much on mafia, or at least, they're slow on posts and post extensively in mafia. Might not be a connection, but it annoys me. If you have time to mafia you had better have time to post.

So having a second game taking up even more time could lead to even more of such delays.

Just my $.02.

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm totally for it, as could be assumed by me being the first person to bring it up. :P

I had a whole response to what bacon said but I couldn't get the words right. The jist is that I don't think anyone is ignoring pregame because of Mafia.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm all for multiple games. I'd rather not see more than, say, one large and one small game running concurrently, though, for the sake of keeping confusion down. Still, if we had a 10-16 person game running alongside a big one, I don't see any problems. Really, we'd just have to demo it to see how it works.

As to distracting from posting: I think people who procrastinate on posts happen to not procrastinate on mafia, but I do not believe it is mafia that is keeping them from posting. Folks have been slow and/or irresponsible posters since way before we started doing mafia on SOTF. Having watched the development of both mafia and the main game since the advent of mafia in SOTF, I can pretty safely say there's no correlation. It's not that people don't have time to post; it's just that, for some reason, lots of people prefer not to post until the last minute, regardless of anything else going on. The same folks often hang out in chat discussing the video games they're playing while not posting. Mafia just makes it more visible.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Toben took the words from my mouth.

I'll just add that it's often easier to post in mafia than it is to write an actual RPing post, it's a different part of the brain needing engaging.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Whilst I personally prefer the idea of one game at a time, I can't help but notice the potential humour in running the mini mafias on Mini.
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

penguin_alien
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
If the idea is found to have merit (right now 9/12 have indicated some willingness to participate, with one deeply suspicious of the potential for collaboration between the SOTF-terrorists and these Mafia scum) hosting it on the Mini board sounds like a good idea, pending the approval of those running the Mini site. It would mean that only one game's posting updates would show up on a board, and it would be out of sight (site!), out of mind for those who don't want the confusion.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I find the idea of running games on Mini too to be overly complicated, to be perfectly honest. If smaller games are going to run I'd much rather they just took place on here.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It would take 30 seconds to make a subforum to mafia for the smaller games, which could achieve roughly the same effect. :)
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder

penguin_alien
Member Avatar
Player
[ *  *  *  * ]
...that makes a lot more sense! :~)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · Mafia · Next Topic »
Add Reply