Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Sophie McDowell
Topic Started: Feb 28 2012, 09:13 PM (1,104 Views)
Laurels
Member Avatar
Cause what you see isn't always the truth
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Name: Sophie McDowell
Grade: 12
School: Aurora High School
Hobbies and Interests: Singing (School Choir), Guitar, Tap Dancing, Painting (Art Club)

Appearance: Sophie stands at about 5'7" and weighs around 135 pounds. This gives her some slight fat around her chest, but she is otherwise pretty slim. The rest of her body is fairly average, with small breasts, milky white skin, and small hands and feet. Her face is oval shaped, with bright blue eyes, a somewhat sharp nose, and round cheeks. Sophie doesn't like to wear makeup, so for the most part she will only have some basic cover up on and only put on lipstick or mascara if she is going to an important event. Her curly hair is a light blonde color and falls to her waist. Most of the time, Sophie will tie it in a loose ponytail or a messy bun to make it easier to manage, although it still can get very tangled and require lots of time spent combing and washing.

For clothing, Sophie tends to dress very casually, mostly in clothing that doesn't require too much effort. Most of the time, she will wear a one piece dress that will end just past the knees. Her clothing is usually in bright colors such as blues, greens, and yellows. Her accessories are very minimal. She will usually have one bracelet on, or sometimes wear a vest or small jacket over her dress. She will wear boots and stockings in the winter time, but when it is warmer, she prefers to wear brown sandals. She also likes to tie her hair back with bandannas and ribbons of many colors. If she doesn't have to wear shoes, she will go barefoot, although she really only spends her time barefoot if she is at home or on clean grass, since she is aware of how dirty certain places can be.

Biography: Sophie Colette McDowell was born on December 15, 1993 to Joanne and Lucas McDowell. Sophie was their fourth child, having three older brothers. Kenneth is eight years older than her and is a medical student at Stanford. Joseph is six years older than her and works at a newspaper in Tacoma. Wallace is only two years older than her and is a business student at Seattle University. Sophie would not be the last child for the McDowells. Five years after Sophie was born, her sister Lindsay was born. A year after that, twins Carrie and Laurie were born.

The McDowells live in a large but comfortable house. Joanne is a vice president at a local bank and earns most of the living for the family. Lucas quit his job as a manager for a paper company and started his own gardening store. For the most part, the McDowells have lived comfortably, although a house with seven children could sometimes get pretty loud and disruptive. Sophie's parents would sometimes find themselves working long hours, so she found that her older brothers would have to look after her and her sisters. Because of this, Sophie found herself somewhat clinging to her parents, trying to be close to them whenever she could. Sophie isn't as clingy as she was as a little girl, but she will try to spend as much time with her parents as she can, whether that involves volunteering at her dad's store or going shopping with her mother.

For most of her early childhood, Sophie was a bright and happy child. Even though her brothers would occasionally pick on her, she learned to ignore their teasing and try to grow from it, especially since they were in charge most of the time and she would have to respect their authority if her parents were away. Sophie found herself somewhat closer to her younger sisters, as the three of them would look up to her and she enjoyed playing with them. Although the McDowell children were in a wide range of ages, Sophie never found too much trouble getting along with any of them, although she did have trouble connecting to her much older brothers since they would be too old to do some of the childish stuff Sophie would be interested in.

From an early age, Sophie was really interested in being a dancer after watching a Shirley Temple movie. Her mother signed her up for some tap dancing classes when Sophie was six, and she fell in love instantly. She enjoyed the sounds and rhythm of tap dancing, and continues to practice it today.

In Elementary school and Middle school, Sophie remained the happy, bright child she always was. She had a good number of friends and was kind to people who were good to her. She did a fairly average job with her education, averaging B's in most of her classes. She really excelled in her elective classes, finding lots of passion and joy in school choir and art class.

As Sophie got older, she began to try a few new things. When she was twelve, she asked Joseph to teach her to play guitar. Joseph had been playing acoustic guitar for about four years, and he was glad to teach his sister how to play. Although it was difficult at first, Sophie soon really got into guitar playing. Joseph gave her his old guitar after he left for college, and Sophie treasures the guitar greatly. Most of the music Sophie likes to play includes pop songs and soft rock, although there have been times where she attempted acoustic versions of heavy metal and alternative music.

As a result of guitar playing, Sophie also began to find an interest in singing. She had been in choir for a few years, but decided to try singing while playing guitar. She soon found herself able to do so, and continues to practice her singing and guitar playing as much as she does her tap dancing.

Sophie also found an outlet in painting. She didn't expect to enjoy art that much, but soon found it to be very cathartic, as she could do anything she wanted to a canvass. Sophie for the most part paints in school classes and after school programs. She doesn't try to sell her work, as she thinks she would rather make art for the sake of making art.

In high school, Sophie began to flourish in a larger environment. She met a lot of people with similar interests to her and easily assimilated into various groups of musicians and artists. Around this point, Sophie began to become a bit more relaxed in her approach to life. Sophie began to dedicate her life to her artistic passions, focusing on honing her craft while balancing her school work and social life. She began busking in Centennial Park and performing in school events.

At home, Sophie's life is pretty good. Her parents are loving and supportive of her various talents. Even though Sophie consistently lands in the A-B honor roll, her parents still want to ensure that she doesn't let her passions distract from her school work, mostly after her grades began to drop in her Freshman year due to her spending a little too much time focused on her tap dancing instead of her schoolwork. Sophie understands their fears, and tries to schedule her hobbies around school work, usually by cutting back on daily practices or moving the time to the weekend. She is afraid of disappointing her parents, so she tries to ensure they don't get mad at her, mostly by doing chores without being asked and trying to avoid confrontations with her siblings.

Sophie's relationship with her siblings is alright as well. Her brothers grew out of their teasing stages and began to treat Sophie with the respect and kindness she gave them. She mostly sees them on various holidays though, since they live in various places. She does feel closest to Joseph, as his guitar lessons were a bonding moment between the two. She does see Wallace a bit more, since he attends a school in Seattle, but it's usually only on weekends when he has time.

Sophie's sisters respect her as their big sister. Sophie had to spend most of her life sharing a room with Lindsay, so she's pretty close with Lindsay, and tries to be a confidant for her if she needs one. Sophie is also pretty kind to Carrie and Laurie, and she tries to help them with any issues they have. This can sometimes mean that she can pry in their lives, but Sophie sometimes has to accept that there are barriers between herself and her sisters.

Most people around Sophie will see her as a bright and cheery individual. She almost always has a smile on her face, and treats everyone with plenty of kindness and respect. She tries to get along with anyone she meets, and if the person isn't interested, she simply respects them as an individual. Because of this, Sophie tends to generalize most people and assumes that everyone is good at heart. Most of Sophie's close circle includes other similar artists, such as people involved in school choir or art club. She also gets along well with a few musicians and tries to see many of her classmates at performances and concerts. Anyone who is close to Sophie will find that she is always interested in hearing about their lives and trying to do things with them.

Sophie is still uncertain about her future. She wants to go to an art school, but because of her multiple interests, she finds it hard to choose one over the other. She's currently considering studying education and teaching an elective. She hasn't made a choice yet, so she finds that she will have to make a decision soon.

Advantages: Sophie is naturally kind and helpful to others, so others might be willing to trust her and get along with her. Her years of tap dancing have given her pretty strong legs, so she should have fairly decent stamina.
Disadvantages: Her gentle nature might make her easy to deceive and exploit, and her view of others might make it hard for her to accept the actions she sees. Sophie also tends to get a bit clingy with others, depending emotionally on them, trying to get them to open up to her, and trying to get them to find value in her, so this can cause her to have some problems if she is completely alone.
Edited by Laurels, Mar 10 2012, 12:38 AM.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi, Laure!

Sophie's profile's looking pretty good, but she is DENIED pending some edits.

First off, we don't really need cup sizes in Appearance descriptions, especially when the sections aren't full of equal detail on everything else. Unless you're going way out of your way to detail absolutely everything about her appearance (like, say, here) I prefer a more holistic, less mathematical approach. A lot of people on the site have no idea what various cup sizes correlate to, and, more than that, breast size is way less important than, say, posture or piercings or other things of that sort.

Next off, I'd like to know a bit more about Sophie's preference for going barefoot. Seattle is a major urban center, meaning most places she'd walk are paved, likely dirty, and possibly full of garbage, making barefoot living a somewhat dangerous choice.

I'd like to know what growing up with so many siblings was like for Sophie. Who raised her, for the most part? How does she feel about her parents? How did she deal with the wide range of ages among her siblings? Who does she get along best with?

I'm a little confused by the way you use the term "liberal". It can mean a lot of different things depending on context, and here the context suggests both political liberalism and a simply liberal lifestyle. I'd like you to rephrase or clarify that in the profile, please. Similarly, I'd like to know what about caffeine Sophie considers dangerous, since her opinion is not a particularly common one.

How does Sophie feel about her parents still directly pressuring her with regards to her school work? Is there any friction there? It sounds like she's never had academic problems, so why do they need to tell her what to do?

I'd also really just like to know more about Sophie. Who are her friends? What's her outlook on life? How does she deal with worry or stress? How do people around school view her? I've got a pretty good idea of her history and interests at the moment, but I'd like to see a bit more of her personality and what makes her tick.

I'd also like to know more about Sophie's deficiencies in other physical strength (dancing typically requires pretty good overall fitness, and disadvantages are really for areas in which the character is notably lacking). I'd also like her naïvité elaborated on in her profile, please.

Post when you've got Sophie updated, and we'll give her another look. Thanks!
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sophie's edited. I hope I got everything and that she's good for pregame.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hiya, Laure!

Sophie is looking much better. I just have a few questions left.

First off, how does Sophie feel about her parents? I'm just really curious what their relationship was like, given that they were absent so much. Basically, I'd like to know how Sophie's relationship with her parents developed as she grew up.

Next (and this is something I missed last time), I'm a bit confused by Sophie's hair length compared to other aspects of her profile. Really long hair is a massive pain to take care of, especially if you're involved in any sort of physical activity or want to keep it clean and attractive. Even moderately long hair can get caught in stuff really easily, never mind if you're involved in a potentially messy hobby like painting. I'd really like this aspect to be scaled back or explained in detail, because right now this sort of really high-maintenance, inconvenient fashion choice doesn't really gel with Sophie's image as a laid-back, carefree individual, at least not if her hair actually looks decent. Hippies tended to have really gross, knotty long hair, not a pretty, socially acceptable sort.

"Sophie found herself somewhat closer her younger sisters," should be "Sophie found herself somewhat closer to her younger sisters,".

I'm a bit confused by your use of the term "cosmopolitan" in reference to politics. Are you trying to convey that Sophie is politically apathetic or moderate?

Liberal as applied to living tends to involve a lot of freedom/willingness to mess around, which kind of contradicts strict health regimes and aversion to illicit substances. I think a different word would probably work better. Similarly, I'd still like to know what health damage Sophie fears from caffeine, dependency aside (or for it to be rephrased to make it clear if that's all she's worried about).

I'd still like a touch more detail on how Sophie feels about her parents meddling in her life, because they sound heavily involved much later than parents usually are. This is quite unusual, as Sophie sounds like a good student. Why do they need to be involved?

I'd also still like to know to what degree Sophie is deficient in upper body strength. Is she notably underweight? Is she weaker than an average girl her age? If so, why? If not, it's not really a disadvantage.

Post when you've got Sophie edited, and we'll give her another look. Thanks a ton! :)
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Edited once again. Hope that makes her satisfactory.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hiya, Laure! Sophie is looking way better, but I've still got a couple little quibbles.

First off, the hair thing's still getting to me. As someone who spent five years with long, curly hair, I can say that it's a phenomenal pain to take care of even at the mid-back level. Tying it back can help a tiny bit, but tends to result in even more tangles/issues later on. I'd really like to know why she has it so long, how it interacts with her hobbies, and just the general hows and whys of this, since it's a really distinctive feature. Getting hair that long would take at least half a decade of effort/consistency. I'm just really not understanding how it fits with everything else.

Next off, the latest version of Sophie's looking a little bit light on disadvantages. I'd just like to see another one or two added (that are also added to the profile or flow naturally from it, of course) to round her out a little.

Post when you've got that done, and we'll give her another look. Thanks!
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, I hope those edits make her pregame worthy.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi, Laure! Sorry this took a while; it's been a really crazy week.

Anyways, I really just want more explanation behind the hair thing, still. Knee length hair is a huge hassle in nearly every situation. It goes far beyond being an "interesting quirk". Waist-length hair could be an interesting quirk, maybe, albeit still a huge hassle, but knee length hair is really, really tough to work with. Tying it back into a bun or a ponytail isn't even going to accomplish much with that length of hair. I've talked this over with a couple other mods who have more direct experience with this sort of thing/have known people who have had hair approaching this length, and they all agreed that it would be a really big pain in the neck.

Basically, I'd like either: a. the length to be shortened to something more reasonable/normal, say, waist-length or b. lots of detail on what condition Sophie's hair is in, how it interacts with her daily life, how she deals with it, how it affects her hobbies (especially dancing, where it could get extra tangled, screw up balance, cause problems for other dancers, etc.), and anything else you can think of. I just really need to see that there's full awareness of the impact this sort of thing would have.

Next off, I'd like to see Sophie have at least one more substantial disadvantage, please (integrated with her biography). While a lack of upper body strength is notable, it's more of a qualifier to a more substantial advantage (her overall fitness). I'd really like to see something concrete on this, that will actually disadvantage her in game, because her current major disadvantages are things that, depending on circumstances, could pass very, very quickly. Also, if her lack of upper body strength stays, I'd like it expanded upon a bit in her profile.

Post when you've got that done, and we'll give Sophie another look. Thanks!
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Laurels
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, Sophie's mom made her trim her split ends, and now she's a bit clingy.

I hope that's what you are looking for.
V6 Cast

V5 Cast

Chat, Art, and Fun Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
APPROVED
V7:
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Approved Registrations · Next Topic »
Locked Topic