Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Marcus Leung
Topic Started: Feb 11 2012, 05:39 AM (636 Views)
Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Name: Marcus Leung
Grade: 12
School: Aurora High School
Hobbies and Interests: Academics, drawing, painting, chess

Appearance: Marcus is somewhat small, standing at 5'6" and weighing in at about 124 pounds. Marcus spends most of his time indoors, leaving him with pale skin and not a lot of muscle on his frame. His hair, black as is usual for a Chinese-American, is long enough to just hang over his brow and cover the top of his ears. His face is long with soft edges, making him appear a few years younger than he is. His dark brown eyes are usually underlined by faint dark circles for having spent too much time studying and not enough time sleeping. His nose is small and flat, and complements his narrow mouth. Marcus doesn't smile often, but when he does, one can see the dimples that add to the smile's energy.

Marcus' wardrobe is geared toward the simple and functional as opposed to the stylish and fashionable. In the spring and summer, Marcus wears khakis with a t-shirt, either plain or branded with a logo of a past church fundraising event, and plain white runners. In the fall and wintertime, Marcus layers up with a zip-up hoodie over a regular pullover sweater, with khakis and a pair of tan boots. Sometimes, Marcus wears a Seahawks cap, a Christmas gift from his father from a few years ago.

Biography: Marcus Leung was an accident, but nobody would call him a mistake.

When it happened, Matthew Leung and Michelle Tam were involved in an intense emotional relationship. They were also involved in a sexually intimate relationship, a product of societal expectations. Of course, they took every precaution when they were together. unfortunately, contraceptives have a non-zero failure rate. It was a great shock to Michelle and Matthew when they discovered they had conceived a child.

They were only high school juniors.

At first, they panicked. Michelle worried about their reputation at school. Matthew didn't even know if he could, or even wanted to, support Michelle and the child. They tried to hide her pregnancy, but they also knew it was just a matter of time before people started finding out. Michelle didn't want to have an abortion, but there was a lot at stake: their parents, their name, and their future. As the weeks passed, abortion seemed to be an even more attractive option. Until Matthew's parents found an abortion pamphlet he'd carelessly left around.

Matthew and Michelle knew they were in a lot of trouble; they were first-generation Chinese-Americans and had been raised according to their parents' cultural backgrounds. Furthermore, the Leungs and the Tams were practicing Catholics. Both Matthew and Michelle were not close to their parents, typical of teenagers their age. They expected to be yelled at, disowned, and thrown out of their homes. As expected of teenagers, they greatly misjudged their parents.

Although they were disappointed in their children, Matthew and Michelle were still their children and they were not going to let this one thing stop them from loving their children. They listened to Matthew and Michelle's worries, and promised their support, as long as abortion was not an option. Michelle and Matthew could put the baby up for adoption if they felt that this was all too much. They might never see their baby again and they could go back to their lives and pretend nothing ever happened. Or they could take responsibility and keep the baby. There was no doubt that it would be hard, but they wouldn't be alone in it. If they kept the baby, the parents would chip in for babysitting or paying for diapers and formula. They could teach Matthew and Michelle the little things like how to rock the baby to sleep or burp him after a meal.

Matthew and Michelle had their baby boy in April of 1994. They named him Marcus. They were married a few weeks before.

At their parents' advice, Matthew and Michelle went back to Aurora for their senior year of high school. Matthew also took a part-time job as a barista at Starbucks to help cover costs. When they were at home, Matthew and Michelle could not spend much time playing with their son; they had to focus on their grades for getting into college. As such, Marcus spent most of his first year being cared for by his grandparents while his parents studied.

When his parents graduated, Marcus was already 14 months old. They had missed little Marcus' first words and his first steps, and were determined to not miss any more of their son's milestones in life. Unfortunately, they still had to think about their family's future. They had both been accepted to the University of Washington, but in the end, it was decided that Matthew would continue studying for an engineering degree, while Michelle would stay home to take care of their son. Matthew had been awarded a scholarship, but he still continued to work part-time; Michelle also took some time to work at her parents' workplace. For two years, they maintained this arrangement.

Marcus saw little of his father over the next few years, though his mother was a more frequent presence. They had moved out of his paternal grandparents' house after Matthew's first year in college, after having saved up some money after scholarships and child care. When Marcus was three years old, his mother also started taking classes at the college, leaving him in the care of the on campus daycare during class hours.

By the time Marcus started school, he had been deeply imprinted by his parents' dedication to their education. Having watched his father put everything into his studies, and then come out with a degree and a stable job working for the City of Seattle, had taught Marcus that focusing on academics was a sure way to success. Marcus didn't have as much natural brilliance and talent as his father, but he made up for that with hard work.

As much as his parents loved each other and their son, that did not protect them from the harsh reality of their situation. Matthew had not wanted to be an engineer, nor had Michelle wanted to be an accountant, but those were tried and true professions and their son's well-being was more important than their passions. Stress was high between the rigors of work, juggling social events, and balancing budgets, and Marcus was not insulated from the arguments that broke out in the house. His parents never involved him directly, but Marcus knew deep down that he was in part responsible for the strife in the house. As a result, Marcus developed a low sense of self-worth: he is uneasy at the prospect of good things happening to him, preferring instead that others reap those benefits.

Marcus' parents experienced a mild conversion in their faith after his birth, and began going to church regularly with his grandparents. Much of his parents' support in raising him came from some of the more open and loving parishioners of St. Edward's Catholic Church, although there were also a fair share of people who looked on the family with disdain. Not being able to afford putting Marcus through private school in his early years, his parents arranged for him to join in the church's Sunday School program. By the time Marcus was old enough for junior high and high school, he elected to stay in public school to stay with his few friends and to minimize the cost of his education. Although Marcus goes to church regularly, he is mostly ambivalent towards the faith, seeing it more as just a thing to do every week than anything more.

At school, Marcus generally makes little effort to socialize with his classmates, although he makes an exception to those he suspects has gotten a poor draw in life, such as an abusive household or a mental disorder. Marcus tends to gravitate towards those people, offering support and a patient ear. He finds it easier to interact and connect with these people; it's hard for him to empathize with those of his peers who have endured few hardships.

His dedication to his studies extends to all academic subjects, but he has a soft spot for the fine arts. Marcus' mother used to love to paint, and he picked up art from an early age to bring some of the joy of art back to her. Marcus does not pride himself on his talent, but he is far from unskilled with a pencil or brush. Few of his peers notice this though, as Marcus tends to stick to his books when at school. The only place where he may be found with a sketchbook in hand is during meetings of the Chess Club, when he is short a partner to play with. Chess was a hobby Marcus had picked up from his paternal grandfather; they started playing together when Marcus was nine, and it was something Marcus took to quickly. Marcus likes playing chess, not to pit his wits against others, but as an environment over which he could carry a relaxed conversation.

Marcus and his parents share an unorthodox relationship. As he was raised primarily by his grandparents, Marcus has come to see his parents more like an older brother and sister than as parental figures; the small age gap between him and his parents amplifies this relationship. He generally speaks very freely with his parents about a variety of subjects, but also has little appreciation for any attempts to shelter him from the outside world. Recently, his parents have been trying for a new child, now that Marcus is almost finished high school and their careers are stable. This did not escape Marcus' attention, though he tries not to let his resentment show.

Advantages: Marcus is very observant, and is prone to notice things that appear out of the ordinary. He is good at reading people and determining how to defuse tense situations. He is usually helpful, which may be useful in gaining allies. Marcus tends to keep his head cool to think rationally, even under stressful situations.
Disadvantages: From his small size and stature, Marcus is not very physically fit, and would easily be overpowered by many of his peers. His easy-going nature may make him an easy target for people looking for targets to exploit. Marcus has a low sense of self-worth, making him prone to psychological manipulation.
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."
Offline Profile Goto Top

ifnotwinter
Member Avatar
half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Joe! This is a great profile, I just have a couple fiddly little grammar/proofing errors I'd like you to straighten out before I approve him. Oh, and one 'information' edit: I'd like to just have a couple more lines about his interest in chess since the only place I see it in the bio is when it's mentioned that he goes to chess club.

"Matthew didn't even know if could" I think there's a "he" missing in there.

"Matthew and Michelle went back to Aurora for his senior year of high school. Matthew also took a part-time job as a barista at Starbucks to help cover costs. When they were at home, Matthew and Michelle could not spend much time playing with their son; they had to focus on his grades for getting into college." I think both "his"s should be "their"s.

"unfortunately, they still had to think about their family's future." Unfortunately should be capitalized.

Fix those, and you should be good to go!

marc st. yves
light it up or burn it down we'll all die in fire
{food for thought}

phineas rosario
fall down seven times stand up eight

sebastian conway
can't see the forest for the trees
{book of sparrows}

(so you've got to keep in mind, when you try to change the world for the better not everybody's gonna be on your side)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
derpy derp derp

I can't believe I missed those grammar mistakes -_-

Fixed now.
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."
Offline Profile Goto Top

ifnotwinter
Member Avatar
half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
APPROVED

marc st. yves
light it up or burn it down we'll all die in fire
{food for thought}

phineas rosario
fall down seven times stand up eight

sebastian conway
can't see the forest for the trees
{book of sparrows}

(so you've got to keep in mind, when you try to change the world for the better not everybody's gonna be on your side)
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · Approved Registrations · Next Topic »
Locked Topic