Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Stephanie Wright
Topic Started: Jan 28 2012, 07:44 AM (794 Views)
Randomness
Member Avatar
Is in some state of existence
[ *  *  *  * ]
Name: Stephanie Wright
Grade: Twelfth Grade
School: Aurora High School
Hobbies and Interests: Tennis (on the school tennis team), reading (in the book club), student council, video games.

Appearance: Although she hasn't been training for a while, Stephanie maintains a 160 lb weight on her near six foot frame. Stephanie has a lean athletic build from years of sports and an average size bust. She is rather proud of her height, in part due to her advantage in sports, and is not reluctant to wear heels although she does prefer keeping to flats.

Stephanie's dark brown hair falls to shoulder level, with bangs that stop just short of her eyes. She often wears her hair back in a ponytail held by a bright yellow ribbon. She has an rounded face, with a small nose, full lips and bright brown eyes that often look slightly unfocused. While she requires glasses, she tends to do without them, only putting them on in class. She rarely uses makeup, though she does make exceptions for formal events.

Stephanie likes wearing jackets and is almost never seen without one. Her favourite jacket would be a black cropped motorcycle jacket that she had recently gotten. Apart from her jackets, the rest of her clothes are comparatively drab. Her tops tend to be simple T-shirts, usually light colours such as blue or white. As for bottoms, she likes wearing jeans, but she can rarely find any that fit well and often makes do with a dark coloured skirt. As mentioned earlier, she often wears flats as she doesn't want to stand out above the crowd too much. Occasionally, she will wear her tennis shoes simply for comfort.

She still wears an elbow sleeve as her arm has not fully recovered from her fracture. She has a scar along her forearm, stretching from her elbow to halfway down the forearm.

Biography: Stephanie is the second and youngest child of Alexander and Victoria Wright. Alexander works as an officer in Seattle's police force while Victoria is an accountant at a local hospital. Stephanie's brother Ryan is three years older than her.

For most of her early childhood, Victoria and Alexander's jobs had kept them out of the house for most of the day and Ryan was at school. Therefore, Stephanie spent most of her time at home with a nanny. Her parents still tried to be involved in her life though, often reading to her before she went to sleep. While she did begin reading at an early age, it was Alexander, who was British and had earned a Bachelor's degree in English from Oxford who had been instrumental in improving her reading. His constant corrections of her mistakes, and his brilliant teaching of phonetics led to her being able to read at a much higher level than most of her peers. Stephanie would spend a long time reading, partly because her parents didn't let her watch too much television. She would read just about anything, reading though Dahl, C.S. Lewis and even a chunk of the Encyclopaedia Britannica and had even read through her textbooks on the day she got them.

In elementary school, Stephanie was one of those star students that achieved almost ridiculously good scores. This was in part due to the guidance of her parents, who believed that their child should always be ahead of the syllabus. While her grades were brilliant, putting her at the top of the class almost every time, Stephanie never liked learning in class, usually finding lessons boring and pointless. She did enjoy some subjects, particularly English and Science, but she was almost adamant in refusing to pay attention to boring teachers. Despite her classroom attitude, Stephanie put a lot of effort into her work, making sure that she always did everything to the best of her ability. While she did have a few close friends in class but she didn't interact with them outside of class, preferring to spend recess and lunch with a book.

It was in third grade that Stephanie signed up from tennis. Her parents had decided that it would be good for her to spend some time playing sports, especially after hearing the teachers' comments about her attitude in class. While she was not particularly good, she it wasn't long before she found a real interest in it. It was a simple game, a one-on-one confrontation that was as much mental as physical. It was spontaneous, fast and every moment, every movement counted for something. And of course there was also the fact that she was allowed to hit the ball as hard she could.

Tennis was a huge motivator for Stephanie. She had a good time playing it and even had a few close friends there. This all changed when she moved up to middle school.
The bullies would always tease her for sitting alone during recess and lunch, often calling her friendless.

The bullying continued on through most of middle school. While she didn't have a problem with self-esteem, she couldn't take this sort of treatment. While they were usually merely teasing her, she couldn't help but take each of those slights personally. She did try talking to the teachers about it and they had acted upon it, reprimanding the kids at fault, but the teasing would always continue.

But after bottling up her anger towards the bullies for so long, it didn't take much for her lose it. One day, while a couple of bullies were making fun of her, she just walked up to them and punched them each of them squarely in the jaw.

While she always felt guilty for days afterwards, she strongly believed that she was doing the right thing. The teachers never knew what to do with her. She seemed really repentant, trying her best not to do it again. Even so, rumours of her violence had spread throughout the school. The idea of a bully being taken by surprise by a quiet girl was far too cool of a story for it not to spread. It wasn't long before just about every kid in school knew about her reputation.

In the mean time her parents had sent her for anger management courses which seemed to work for a while but she still ended up in a fight again. In the end, it took a visit to the Principal's office and the threat of expulsion that made her resolve not to fight again. Nevertheless, she still maintained contempt towards bullies even if she wouldn't act on it.

The Wright family had always been close. Both Victoria and Alexander were adamant on spending time with their children. They would often go out on trips together on weekends and dinner as a family was just about mandatory.

Ryan was the one who would fetch Stephanie home from school. He would appear in his flashy red motorbike that he got on his 18th birthday and the two of them would speed through the streets of Seattle towards their house. The two of them had been close, perhaps due to Stephanie's few relatively secluded childhood. Ryan might be said to be the antithesis to Stephanie, his laid back attitude in sharp contrast with Stephanie's seriousness. His grades were never good, and to be honest, he didn't really care. Ryan had a sort of charisma around him, and he always got along well with his friends.

It was his brilliant social life that made Stephanie look up to Ryan. She was always afraid to get out and meet new people but Ryan seemed to always treat everyone as if they were a close friend just about instantly. It was perhaps his influence that helped to change her social life.

Stephanie has been a much different person in high school. She is definitely more cheerful than she used to be in middle school. She still has friends in tennis and she made many good friends on the team. Even so, she was one of the hardest workers on the team spending training working as hard as she could to make her way onto the varsity team.

In Junior year, Stephanie was recommended by the coach to try for the US Open National Playoffs Sectionals. Stephanie was delighted. The Playoffs would be the start of a long journey towards professional play.

Stephanie was greatly disappointed when her parents couldn't make it on the day of her first match but Ryan was there to cheer for her. The first match was an easy win for her and the two of them were to go out to town to celebrate. However, her well earned victory was cut short tragically. On their way home, they were hit by a car that suddenly turned into the road. Stephanie suffered an elbow fracture while Ryan received several broken ribs and an ankle fracture.

Her dreams of the playoffs were crushed that day. While she had already won her first match, she had no choice but to forfeit. The loss of her dominant hand has forced her to use her left hand for everything but writing now. Healing and physiotherapy had taken a few months and Stephanie hasn't been to tennis training since. However, she has since made the best of her new found free time and has joined the book club and even ran for student council.

Her grades had already been falling, due to her constantly busy schedule. While hospital time and physiotherapy certainly didn't help, her belief that she can make it without studying has contributed to her bare C-average that is the requirement for council.

As for romance, she is completely incapable of acting on her crushes. She has been asked out a few times and has gone on a few dates, but she is still unsure about romance. She does want a boyfriend but she is also at the same time hesitant about a serious relationship.

Stephanie still has difficulty with new people and prefers to stick to her usual bunch of friends. She still takes things very personally and may get defensive when under stress. Her time in council has made her more self-confident, especially in speaking situations. Furthermore, Stephanie is extremely goal-oriented and when she decides on doing something, she won't stop until she has completed it.

Advantages: Stephanie's tennis training keeps her fit and agile. She can keep calm even in tough situations and thinks things though carefully before acting. She possesses strong determination and won't stop until she succeeds.
Disadvantages: Her right elbow still suffers from stiffness and pain and may pose a challenge to her. She can't stand bullies and jerks and may lash out at them causing more trouble than she can get out of. Her reputation as being violent hasn't quite gone away and this may discourage potential allies from teaming up with her. Her dislike of wearing glasses may also prove to be a problem.

Edited by Randomness, Feb 17 2012, 08:05 AM.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

It's the Grand Map of Doom! v6
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Back hand, front hand, ALL HANDS

Hello, my name is Ruggahissy and I will be looking over Stephanie. Here's my serve:

Stephanie is temporarily denied until you make a few changes.

If you could change "twelfth" to 12th in the grade, that would be super.

"Therefore, Stephanie spent most of her time at home with a nanny. As they lived in an apartment block, Stephanie had spent most of her time at home with nothing but her father's collections of books and movies to pass the time"

This is all before elementary school, as the next paragraph starts us off on that. You typically go into elementary school at 4 to 5 years of age. That means that her time at home was before the age of four. I'm not sure about all people, but most people don't learn to read before they go into elementary school. Even if she was at the starting stages of learning to read, I doubt she'd be able to read her father's books unless he has has a big thing for pop up books. Movies are alright, but I doubt anything she watches will really be absorbed.

"Her lack of social interaction greatly hampered her ability to make friends and she thus spent lessons sitting quietly reading books underneath the table."

Why is this little girl not interacting with her classmates? Sure at school maybe she just reads, but there's recess and lunch and after school. If there is a reason she isn't interacting with them, throw it in there so we can understand better. Also it's a little strange that someone so young (pre-third grade since that comes up later) would have the mind to study on their own and not listen to the teachers.

"She was taking advanced classes in most subjects and thus hardly saw much of her elementary school friends. Furthermore, she hit puberty early, hitting 5' 8" in seventh grade. As such, she was bullied rather often. Her new friends weren't much help either mostly staying out of the way of the bullies."

There aren't really "advanced classes" in middle school that wouldn't have other middle schoolers in them. At the middle school level, the classes don't really diverge too much in terms of levels. In my middle school there were maybe two or three levels of math and two levels of English ( regular English, more advanced English). If the advanced middle school classes are full of other middle schoolers I'm not sure why she's singled out for that. I think what you're trying to get across is that she's picked on for being brainy?

If she's bullied, didn't the teachers notice? What sort of bullying was done to her? Did she ever talk to someone about it?

"While she knew that hitting another person was wrong, she had punched a few bullies in her time in middle school. While she always felt guilty for days afterwards, she strongly believed that she was doing the right thing. Each time anyone bullied her too much, they would be taken by complete surprise. A normally quiet girl suddenly punching them without even saying a word. Rumours of her violence began to spread and bullies seldom picked on her and any who still did would be swiftly silenced by a well placed punch.

It was perhaps a miracle how often she avoided the principal's office. The teachers were all confused at a brilliant student who was always getting into scuffles. But she was often repentant afterwards and she always had a good excuse and teachers often had no choice but to let her get away with it. Even so, after a particularly bloody fight, she ended being called in to the principal's office and threatened with expulsion."

I don't buy that the teachers wouldn't say anything about her getting into fights. It seems more likely that she'd be called into the office and after a warning, there'd be a suspension and after another incident, more serious action. Even if someone is bullying her, she can't hit people. She has to tell an authority figure about it.

Also, bloody fight? Sh**t! That's serious! Did she break a mofo's nose or something? Depending on what happened and how old she is, there can be grounds for an assault charge. Dial it back a little :S

At least her parents sent her to get help and she wants to make more friends. Moving on,

That's a tough break about her and her brother. And it seems like he's really sweet. Except I have no idea ?_? More detail on Ryan and his relationship to Stephanie would be great, as well as info on her relationship to her parents since they only pop up about twice in the bio, pretty briefly.

"Due to the hospital time and physiotherapy, she is far behind on her studies barely making the C average requirement for council. While she is concerned about her grades, she doesn't quite believe in studying as she had gone without it for most of her schooling life"

I believe the school will make arrangements in the event of prolonged hospitalization and the like. If she's such a fantastic student to begin with, I'm not sure her grades would slide THAT much.

Does she have friends outside of tennis? What about her time in the book club? What sorts of books does she like? Why did she run for student council? Also, how does she fare with *boys* ?

Well, I think that's about it. Post when you're ready for another look!

things
Offline Profile Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry, it took so long to make these changes. Hope this is fine.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lookin' much better! Just two things that still catch mah eye

- About her accent and being teased for it. I'm the first of my family to be born in America and both my parents had pretty heavy accents, but I speak regular English like an American girl. Same for my roommate, both parents Kenyan, both with thick Kenyan accents, she speaks perfect English. Starting school age, you learn a lot of your speaking in school. No matter how much time you spend talking with your parents, you spend more of it in school. A lot of this is also due in part to television and movies, which Stephanie watches. Something that does happen is that kids will tend to learn individual words wrong if their parents say it, and maybe she'd have a bit of an accent as a really young kid, but past 5 or 6, she should speak like everyone else. I know you want a point for her to be teased on, but if you really can't live without that, maybe for her preference for books over play?

- I don't believe that teachers would ignore if a child said they were being bullied. Again, I get you want the bullying angle. Girls tend to get less physically bullied than boys so a more realistic situation would be a lot of name calling or teasing, but if she tells a teacher about it, I'm certain they would try to intervene.

Short one! In the home stretch, buddy.
things
Offline Profile Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry for the late edit, but it's done. Hopefully this will cover those gaps.

Those no longer with us

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm so sorry for taking so long, love. I've been a bit under the weather -__-

She gets bullied now for being a loner! Much better : ) . Just two sliigghhhttt things and we're good to go.

- Remove British accent. For reasons already stated.

- This kindda bugs me:

"Stephanie was one of those star students that achieved almost ridiculously good scores. While she was bright, her main advantage came from her reading. While her grades were brilliant, putting her at the top of the class almost every time, Stephanie often daydreamed in class, finding what the teachers were saying boring and pointless."

I get that she reads a lot but if she's not paying attention, how does she know what she needs to study at all? I just find it weird that someone who loves to read so much would find teachers boring, I mean, surely there should be a time during English or history that she's interested.

Swear to Goodness, you make those changes and you are all done ^_^
things
Offline Profile Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
And the changes are made.

Those no longer with us

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Last nit pick: I think something went awry when you were editing because half this sentence vanished:

"Part of it was the guidance of her parents who were While her grades were brilliant, putting her at the top of the class almost every time..."

Who were.....what?

But everything else looks nice. You are APPROVED. Once you fix it I'll gladly move the profile to the approve section : )
things
Offline Profile Goto Top

Randomness
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gah. Can't believe I forgot to finish that sentence. The amendment is done.

Those no longer with us

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
APPROVED
things
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Approved Registrations · Next Topic »
Locked Topic