Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
State of the World; V5 Important Reading!
Topic Started: Jan 13 2012, 11:44 AM (1,431 Views)
SOTF_Help
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello, everyone. It seemed useful, in light of the approach of V5, to give some information on the world of SOTF, specifically on the ongoing continuity, in order to allow greater verisimilitude in posts and profiles. As such, the following is a non-narrative summary of important things in the world that you'll probably want to know:

• The year in V5 is 2012. Pregame spans from near the start of the calendar year (conveniently enough, Seattle public schools start up again January 3rd, so that's the first day of Pregame IC) to the start of summer and the class trip.
  • For the most part, SOTF follows along with the real world. Disasters, terrorist attacks, recessions, fashion trends, film releases, etc. are all the same as IRL.
  • The president of the United States is the ideological equivalent/fictional stand in of Obama. President Bridges lost the 2008 election (he was on his first term from 2005-2008, replacing President Bush, who did not run for reelection in 2004 and has since faded from the political scene). For all intents and purposes, Bridges served Bush's second term exactly as Bush did, and the current president has followed along exactly in step with Obama.
  • SOTF itself did not resurface after 2008. While the broadcast nature had already been seriously limited by the time of V4, where it was aired only on certain obscure foreign channels, it was still widely and easily available online. Recordings of past seasons are still easy to get online from torrent sites and the like, and colleges have archives for research purposes, though the government makes token efforts to stop the distribution, shutting down sources that are found.
  • When no kidnapping occurred in 2009, SOTF was officially declared defeated. School security nationwide remains fairly tight, however. In the years since, the government and some families of SOTF victims began lawsuits against companies that profited from merchandise related to SOTF (t-shirts and the like). None of these lawsuits has yet reached its conclusion. SOTF is no longer a presence in merchandising in any form. Wearing an SOTF shirt is roughly equivalent to wearing a shirt mocking 9/11.
  • Nothing has been heard of STAR. Conspiracy theories about V4 abound on the parts of the internet that care, but mostly media coverage has dried up, aside from local memorials and a national acknowledgement every year.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Is Danya known to be dead?
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Probably. I need to consult with the rest of the staff, but it has almost certainly come out in some fashion.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
I assume it was left out for a reason, but I feel compelled to ask anyway... does this new President have an official name as of yet?
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past
Offline Profile Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funny you should mention that.

His name is President Oscar Chase McAllister.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A few quick reminders, as I've seen these things come up incorrectly a lot in the past few days:

• Students do not know Tracen Danya's first name, his relationship to the other Danya, etc. Those with a little familiarity with the past versions may realize that he's a lot younger than the previous announcer, but that's about all folks will know at this point.
  • The V3 escapees are still considered dead by the rest of the world, and nothing of the V3 escape has really become public knowledge (remember, a large part of what made the escape possible was that the cameras were down for large chunks of V3; the terrorists presumably removed any footage revealing that anything went amiss from the broadcast).

That's all! Just a quick reminder.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Announcements · Next Topic »
Locked Topic