Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
v5 Rules of Thumb
Topic Started: Sep 5 2011, 02:08 AM (2,607 Views)
paradise
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Rule 17: If you must kill someone, be aware of the bystanders. If they are close to the killed person, they will likely violate Rule 5. Hence, only fight them if they're on their own, or if you're with people that dislike or are neutral towards them.
Edited by paradise, Sep 24 2011, 04:31 PM.
A-anyone got a light.. I really need to s-smoke about n-now...

-Allen Blue

V5 Concept Character- Allen Blue- Quiet, Tall, Nerd, Furry, Neurotic, Schizophrenic, Crazy Survivalist, Likes Cats.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
Rule 18: Do not make a name for yourself. As anything. "Big" heroes and villains alike make attractive targets.
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past

Brackie
Member Avatar
i love him, i love him, i love him, i love him
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rule 18.5: Be boring. Be as boring as possible, don't do anything for the cameras. Both the cameras and other students pay less attention to the guy eating a bag of chips on his own in a room by himself than they do to the girl screaming and peeing her pants or the guy trying to kill everyone he comes across. You'll get a better chance to implement any plans if you're under-the-radar.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I can't sing but I wrote you a song

Wrong notes but the melody's so clear

When I'm lost, I'm still close to gold

cause I found my treasure in you
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, rules added, as well as:

RULE 21: If you're planning on escape, DON'T GET CAUGHT. If the terrorists know what you're doing, they'll blow your collar, or send guys after you, or do whatever. Basically, you get caught trying to escape, and you won't escape.
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, dredging up this topic, as well as my relationship thread. Basically, these are some rules of thumb that one of my characters (Zubin Wadia) created back when SOTF was actually a thing. Here are the current rules:

• RULE 0: Don't go on any trips with your class. If you're not with them, you can't get taken onto the SOTF program, and by that virtue, you automatically survive. (Already noted in Zubin's intro)
  • RULE 1: Don't go psycho. Everyone hates the psychos - to the point where they'll be attacked more often. (noted in this post)
  • RULE 2: Don't kill anyone unless you have to. As soon as you've killed someone, you're a target.
  • RULE 3: Loot the bodies. You don't know who drew the kevlar unless (s)he either get shot, tells you, or you check the body.
  • RULE 4: Take the shot: On the off chance that you find a psycho player, DO NOT LET THEM KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Kill them before they kill you.
  • RULE 5: Don't take revenge. Hunting down someone will only serve to have you violate Rules 2 and 4, and get killed - possibly by someone whom you could have partnered with.
  • RULE 6: Expand your definition of winning. Escape has occurred before. If you find a way to escape, TAKE IT!!!
  • RULE 7: Find allies. At least early on, a group of people that you can trust greatly lowers your chances of dying.
  • RULE 8: Be wary. This of course means that you should not just ally with anyone. Be careful about others - an ally you can trust is worth more than his or her weight in gold. An ally you can't trust is a death sentence.
  • RULE 9: Don't startle people. In SOTF, people who are startled tend to think they're being attacked and are likely to react with violence. (Added by The Bearded One)
  • RULE 10: Never turn your back on anyone. Not even a friend. Sleep with one eye open. (Added by Little Boy)
  • RULE 11: Don't discard any items you are given. With only a few exceptions, the item you are issued will, in some way, shape or form, help with your survival.
  • RULE 12: Don't be a hero. Being a hero and trying to save your buddies means risking your life. If you die, it's possible that your risk was pointless - your friends could die anyway in that same attack. If you get out of there, you can at least collect yourself for the next showdown.
  • RULE 13: Find somewhere safe to sleep. Don't toss down in the middle of a field, strategically place yourself so you won't get snuck up on in the night. (added by Little Boy)
  • RULE 14: Just because its night, doesn't mean the Island is sleeping soundly. (added by Little Boy)
  • RULE 15. Don't monologue: If you have the chance to kill someone, just shoot them. Don't spend a minute monologuing about how evil they are and giving them a chance to sneak a weapon behind their back. (added by chitoryu12)
  • RULE 16: You're a fighter, not a lover. Last-chance romances are distracting, and force you into a no-win situation. (added by DocBalance)
  • RULE 17: Keep tabs on the kills. This is difficult, but if you do it properly, you will have an insight into who the threats are not only based on numbers, but motivations. It helps to know if the five-time killer in your sights killed out of genuine necessity.
  • RULE 18: If you must kill someone, be aware of the bystanders. If they are close to the killed person, they will likely violate Rule 5. Hence, only fight them if they're on their own, or if you're with people that dislike or are neutral towards them. (added by paradise)
  • RULE 19: Do not make a name for yourself. As anything. "Big" heroes and villains alike make attractive targets. (added by Chib)
  • RULE 20: Be boring. Be as boring as possible, don't do anything for the cameras. Both the cameras and other students pay less attention to the guy eating a bag of chips on his own in a room by himself than they do to the girl screaming and peeing her pants or the guy trying to kill everyone he comes across. You'll get a better chance to implement any plans if you're under-the-radar. (added by Inky)
  • RULE 21: If you're planning on escape, DON'T GET CAUGHT. If the terrorists know what you're doing, they'll blow your collar, or send guys after you, or do whatever. Basically, you get caught trying to escape, and you won't escape.
  • RULE 22: If the pressure gets too much and you feel the need to vent your feelings, don't do so in front of your allies. Find a nice isolated spot to spill your heart; don't lose it in a crowd. (added by Ghost Of Ravenstar)
  • RULE 23: Cardio (added by The Burned Handler)
  • RULE 24: YOLO. You Only Lose Once. Avoiding being killed is an infinitely higher priority than killing. If your top priority is killing, you are going to slip up eventually. (added by Nuggets)
  • RULE 24.5 (The Sydney Morvran Corollary): That being said, you still have to kill at least one person - otherwise they'll make you stay.
  • RULE 25: When you go to sleep, try to do so on the edge of two zones. That way, if the one you're on is declared a dangerzone, you will have plenty of time to leave. (added by ChainmailleAddict)
  • RULE 25.5: Unless they both become dangerzones. Then you die. Go to bed early if you can, so you won't have to worry about dangerzone warnings.(added by Un-Persona)

If you have any other rules, feel free to post here. A couple notes:

• This list is about a rational way on how to survive the game - essentially, it's modelling game play closer to Adam Dodd and Bryan Calvert, as opposed to J.R. Rizzolo or Maxwell Lombardi.
  • This does assume that one is playing rationally, although it will be acknowledged that these rules assume that emotions can be kept in check.
  • Each rule should have a number, a brief phrase, and an explanation of the logic.
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN

Ghost Of Ravenstar
Member Avatar
Armed and Unsafe
[ *  * ]
RULE 22: If the pressure gets too much and you feel the need to vent your feelings, don't do so in front of your allies. Find a nice isolated spot to spill your heart; don't lose it in a crowd.

Love the idea behind these rules, by the way. Great work on them.

#B051: Gavin Hunter - Equipped with oh gosh a whole lot. "Well, we break for two months and I'm now suddenly in high definition..."

[08:46] Ghost of Ravenstar: I love the AF2011-A1 as it fits Gavin's perceived personality so damn well.
[08:47] Alex: Overcompensatory, unnecessary and appeals to what someone who watches anime obsessively would perceive as "cool?"
[08:47] Ghost of Ravenstar: BINGO!!!

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rule 23: Cardio

Sorry, had to. :P
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

umop-ap!sdn
Member Avatar
upside-down
[ *  *  *  * ]
YOLO. You only lose once. Avoiding being killed is an infinitely higher priority than being killed. If your top priority is killing, you are going to slip up eventually.
It's kiss or kill and shoot to thrill when you do what you do.
I would not die for anyone, but I would kill for you.

G009 Cassidy Kant
A contestant, a seeker, an abstainer, a klutz, a case of survivor guilt, a repenter, a star crossed lover, a star crossed lover, a damsel in distress, a hot mess, an inspired dreamer, an unwanted ally, a pawn
B034 Joey Caputo
A scout, a follower, a tracker, a rebel without a cause, a slaughtered guinea pig
G017 Jaquilyn Locke
A victim, a survivor, a team player, a doubter, a hunter, a person, a schemer, an instructor, a nomad, a deserter, a self-appointed savior, a repenter, a failure, a hypocrite's scapegoat

Achievements Unlocked!

ChainmailleAddict
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Rule XX: When you go to sleep, try to do so on the edge of two zones. That way, if the one you're on is declared a dangerzone, you will have plenty of time to leave.
Companies and Friendships in general are much like Chainmaille. A single link is almost worthless by itself, but has potential. A flimsy weave is connected, but is only as strong as its weakest link. A strong weave will stay together, even with weak links added. Make of this what you will.

Un-Persona
Member Avatar
Mains Shaggy Verde
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rule XX.5(25.5?) Unless they both become dangerzones. Then die. Go to bed early if you can, so you won't have to worry about dangerzone warnings.
V7 relationship thread! Say hi to my kids!
Super Spoiler God Super Spoiler

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply