Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
v5 Rules of Thumb
Topic Started: Sep 5 2011, 02:08 AM (2,737 Views)
TDS
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Little Boy
Sep 6 2011, 04:36 PM
For once, I'd like the terrorists to abduct the kids at like, a school mass, just to shake things up.
iirc, v2 had 3 different schools and there was at least one that wasn't on a trip.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, Bathurst's classes were abducted from a sex-ed seminar. Still, it'd be interesting to see some more non-trip abductions. I have a hard time believing people in SOTF-verse even go on class trips any more. :P
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

Jonny
Member Avatar
You hate kings and you think kings are really stupid. They are petty, bossy tyrants and are really full of themselves and are basically awful in every way.
[ *  *  * ]
I se pretty much no problem with this idea and would urge you to go for it, since it's something that's pretty original and makes a character's story more interesting. And it's damn realistic. I mean, there's a shitload of high school/college aged kids who've got their "man if there was ever a zombie attack I'd survive it because I'd do x y z!" plans. People want to feel smarter. They want to feel less afraid. They want some assurance that for whatever scary thing is out there, it won't happen to them.

And I love how the Rule 0 is something he's gonna be inherently breaking, just because it's exactly how this kind of thought process is going to turn out. It's there to make him less scared, but he's not always gonna follow the rules and even if he does they're not nearly gonna make him invincible. I fully support this enterprise, because if handled well it adds an awesome dimension to how the character thinks and acts on the island, and had huge potential to go in multiple interesting directions. Provided you can stay away from the smug, shallow "heh, look at how much I, the handler, know about SotF" direction, which I have faith you can, this could be quite awesome.
Jeremy Franco is alive. You can write a better ending, goddammit.

Charlie DuClare is dead. And nothing was easy anymore except to smile.
Julian Avery is dead. Courage was the man with a gun in his hand.
JJ Sturn is dead. Fuck it, all good things gotta come to an end.

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Honestly, this idea does not seem far-fetched at all to me. This is the kind of thing I would do. Granted, I'm one odd duck, but still, people like this exist. These lists aren't all that uncommon in my circle of friends, and if there was a chance of it actually happening then I know at least half of the guys I know would take a note-book full of these "rules" with them during any sort of group trip.

What is most interesting to me about this concept is watching it breakdown. I mean, realistically these rules will inevitably fail. You can bet Columbus had rules about not trusting people and only working with them as much as you have to given his personality type, but that fell apart right quick, didn't it? No matter how prepared you think you are for something like this, you can never really handle it, and that realization could be a truly powerful thematic moment.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Kami, Ciel and xylophonefairy - Here's what I was thinking (in your own ways, all three of you were correct):

SOTF Zubin started creating the rules during v4 in 2008 - at oldest, he'll be 15. Having already had four versions happen in four consecutive years, he would be incredibly worried that his class is going to be next. This is when he comes up with the Zero Rule - Don't go on any class trips. Version 5 is going to take place, at soonest, in 2011. At least in 2009, his family probably had to force him to go on school trips because of this fact.

However, 2009 comes along, and nothing happens. Same with 2010. Because v5 hasn't occurred yet, Zubin mellows out, and the whole "SOTF rules" thing becomes more of a joke and a hypothetical - he's pretty much believing that he's safe now, so he may bring it up occasionally in pre-game, but merely in jest, and some of the rules will be funny and all. Then Zubin and his class gets kidnapped, and now Zubin will have to dredge up the rules, and one of the first rules he remembers will likely be the Zero Rule - "NO CLASS TRIPS."

As for the Zombieland connection, the fact was that Columbus made the rules in the first place - "Cardio," "Don't be a hero," and "When in doubt, know your way out," are three examples. In all honesty, I have never actually watched the movie (I should, but I have not).

That reminds me ...

• RULE 11: Don't discard any items you are given. With only a few exceptions, the item you are issued will, in some way, shape or form, help with your survival.
  • RULE 12: Don't be a hero. Being a hero and trying to save your buddies means risking your life. If you die, it's possible that your risk was pointless - your friends could die anyway in that same attack. If you get out of there, you can at least collect yourself for the next showdown.
Keep 'em coming!
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN

TDS
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
How about: "Dead cameras eventually mean dead students. Treat someone who is targeting cameras as if they're targeting you."

Little Boy
Member Avatar
STICK IT IN ZEE BOOOOOOOT~~~~
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
RULE 13: Find somewhere safe to sleep. Don't toss down in the middle of a field, strategically place yourself so you won't get snuck up on in the night.

leading into...

RULE 14: Just because its night, doesn't mean the Island is sleeping soundly.
V5
Posted Image Posted Image
Oswaldo Marx --> "Chicks dig scars? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit." --> Cicada Nights
Mikko "Mike" Korhonen --> "Interesting, very interesting!" --> A Casual Question
V4 / Mini's
Spoiler: click to toggle

Quote:

"My dick did the Mexican Hat Dance and I had to suppress the moan that wanted to escape." - Casey

NOTE TO SELF: Burns on the left side. LEFT SIDE.

armeggedonCounselor
Member Avatar
D--> I need a towel
[ *  *  *  * ]
I guess another important bit of info for the back story of this character is whether or not Danya's demise will be leaked to the public. Assuming he's actually dead, which isn't that farfetched an assumption. If it was leaked, then he may in fact not even think about SoTF as being a thing anymore (depending on how well it was known that Danya was the man responsible).

As far as rules go.... I guess Rule -1 would be to keep yourself brushed up on survival tactics. Of course, that's just increasingly meta....
V5 Character(s)

chitoryu12
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Rule 15. Don't monologue: If you have the chance to kill someone, just shoot them. Don't spend a minute monologuing about how evil they are and giving them a chance to sneak a weapon behind their back.

On the subject of the character concept, I find nothing wrong with it as long as it's written smartly. Zubin seems like someone who will start to become very paranoid as the game goes on and he sees people "breaking the rules", and in turn risking his own life if he's partnered with them.
Characters for v4

Christopher Carlson: B052
Weapons: Brass knuckles

Jake Crimson: B084 (Adopted)
Weapons: Cinderblock

Characters for v5

Clayton Leven: B050
Weapons: Handcuffs

Shit people say

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rule 16: You're a fighter, not a lover. Last-chance romances are distracting, and force you into a no-win situation.
SotF Characters

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!

VinnyMcQ
Member Avatar
Has all the balls
[ *  *  * ]
I have had a thought. As much as some of these rules are made to be broken some of the more common sense ones just do not work given the setting of the game. Such as shoot them straight away without chattin on so they escape. Makes a lot of real life sense but we can't just shoot other people's characterts dead.

What reasoning, in game, would allow someone to break this rule? I'm assuming you wouldn't hold a friend at gunpoint rather someone you might actually want to kill.
I'm not as awesome as this song makes out
I'm angry, underweight and sketching out
I'm building bonfires on my vanities and doubts
To get warm just like everybody else

Quote:

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
It's one thing making the list saying "shoot on sight" then it comes to actually killing them. Someone they probably recognise/had a class with/stole a pen off in middle school. It could be a really great character moment when he realises that it's not as easy to follow the rules as he thought it might be.

And anyway, there's a chance he might end up with glow sticks as a weapon draw.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ignoring the inherent infeasibility of an otherwise innocent teenager being able to murder anyone, even a sociopath, in cold-blood, I'd like to examine game-theory for a moment: Role-playing is the responsibility of the handler, not the concept. At the conceptual stage these rules are being written by a high-school student who has no actual experience implementing any of them. At the role-playing level, they must be viewed by the handler through that lens. Is it realistic to actually run the game by these rules, to the letter? No. Does it make sense to leave rules like "Shoot the psycho, no questions asked" out when writing an uninformed survival guide? Double-no. That's the nature of the beast, though. Everything about a concept should in theory be dictated on a case by case level. Rather than operating on the philosophy of "My character will always do X", it would seem more logical to say "My character thinks they will always do X." Just my 2 cents.
SotF Characters

decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Vinny - Part of it comes from Rule 2 - Don't kill unless you have to. While the meaning of the rule could be warped to suit an aggresive ("shoot on sight") player, as intended it means "Don't kill outside of self-defense or if the person you are killing has gone psycho." In v4, this is what allowed Jason Harris to kill Liam Brooks - while Jason and Liam had been good friends before the game, Brook had gone so psycho that Jason had no choice but to kill him. Watching on TV, Zubin would have urged Jason to kill Liam straight out, but in-game, the fact that Jason and Liam were good friends made it impossible for Jason to not give Liam one last chance.

It should also be noted that Zubin made these rules at least three years before the start of v5. It's easy for him to take the emotion out of it because he isn't there doing the killing - it's easier to make these rules than it is to follow them. It also leads into ...

RULE 15: Keep tabs on the kills. This is difficult, but if you do it properly, you will have an insight into who the threats are not only based on numbers, but motivations. It helps to know if the five-time killer in your sights killed out of genuine necessity.
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just thought of one.

- If you have killed someone, are planning to kill people for any reason, or your name has shown up in an Announcement for whatever reason, don't introduce yourself to new people using your actual name. Once you introduce yourself to someone using a name that has been on Announcements, people will be at the very least wary of you, and in the worst case scenario, attack either out of perceived self-defense or vengeance, even if you are not planning to kill them. Same goes if it was announced you did something to piss the terrorists off (example: Liz Polanski). Use an alias whenever possible, and use a consistent one each and every single time you give it out. It won't help with classmates who know you, but it will help if you encounter someone who you haven't talked to/met before.
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply