Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
v5 Rules of Thumb
Topic Started: Sep 5 2011, 02:08 AM (2,784 Views)
decoy73
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
One of my characters (Zubin Wadia) is going to have this schtick about being savvy about the game (probably due to having been scared about it when v4 was taking place). As such, he will, by the start of the game, have a list of thumb rules about how to survive a game of SOTF - kinda like in Zombieland. I have a few, but if anyone else has suggestions, I'm open to them. A couple things about these rules:
  • This list is about a rational way on how to survive the game - essentially, it's modelling game play closer to Adam Dodd and Bryan Calvert, as opposed to J.R. Rizzolo or Maxwell Lombardi.
  • This does assume that one is playing rationally, although it will be acknowledged that these rules assume that emotions can be kept in check.
  • Each rule should have a number, a brief phrase, and an explanation of the logic.
Here's a few rules I have already:
  • RULE 0: Don't go on any trips with your class. If you're not with them, you can't get taken onto the SOTF program, and by that virtue, you automatically survive.
  • RULE 1: Don't go psycho. Everyone hates the psychos - to the point where they'll be attacked more often.
  • RULE 2: Don't kill anyone unless you have to. As soon as you've killed someone, you're a target. (Added by Dr. Roy)
  • RULE 3: Loot the bodies. You don't know who drew the kevlar unless (s)he either get shot, tells you, or you check the body.
  • RULE 4: Take the shot: On the off chance that you find a psycho player, DO NOT LET THEM KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Kill them before they kill you.
  • RULE 5: Don't take revenge. Hunting down someone will only serve to have you violate Rules 2 and 4, and get killed - possibly by someone whom you could have partnered with.
  • RULE 6: Expand your definition of winning. Escape has occurred before. If you find a way to escape, TAKE IT!!!
  • RULE 7: Find allies. At least early on, a group of people that you can trust greatly lowers your chances of dying.
  • RULE 8: Be wary. This of course means that you should not just ally with anyone. Be careful about others - an ally you can trust is worth more than his or her weight in gold. An ally you can't trust is a death sentence.
  • RULE 9: Don't startle people. In SOTF, people who are startled tend to think they're being attacked and are likely to react with violence. (Added by The Bearded One)
  • RULE 10: Never turn your back on anyone. Not even a friend. Sleep with one eye open. (Added by Little Boy)
  • RULE 11: Don't discard any items you are given. With only a few exceptions, the item you are issued will, in some way, shape or form, help with your survival.
  • RULE 12: Don't be a hero. Being a hero and trying to save your buddies means risking your life. If you die, it's possible that your risk was pointless - your friends could die anyway in that same attack. If you get out of there, you can at least collect yourself for the next showdown.
  • RULE 13: Find somewhere safe to sleep. Don't toss down in the middle of a field, strategically place yourself so you won't get snuck up on in the night. (added by Little Boy)
  • RULE 14: Just because its night, doesn't mean the Island is sleeping soundly. (added by Little Boy)
  • RULE 15. Don't monologue: If you have the chance to kill someone, just shoot them. Don't spend a minute monologuing about how evil they are and giving them a chance to sneak a weapon behind their back. (added by chitoryu12)
  • RULE 16: You're a fighter, not a lover. Last-chance romances are distracting, and force you into a no-win situation. (added by DocBalance)
  • RULE 17: Keep tabs on the kills. This is difficult, but if you do it properly, you will have an insight into who the threats are not only based on numbers, but motivations. It helps to know if the five-time killer in your sights killed out of genuine necessity.
  • RULE 18: If you must kill someone, be aware of the bystanders. If they are close to the killed person, they will likely violate Rule 5. Hence, only fight them if they're on their own, or if you're with people that dislike or are neutral towards them. (added by paradise)
  • RULE 19: Do not make a name for yourself. As anything. "Big" heroes and villains alike make attractive targets. (added by Chib)
  • RULE 20: Be boring. Be as boring as possible, don't do anything for the cameras. Both the cameras and other students pay less attention to the guy eating a bag of chips on his own in a room by himself than they do to the girl screaming and peeing her pants or the guy trying to kill everyone he comes across. You'll get a better chance to implement any plans if you're under-the-radar. (added by Inky)
  • RULE 21: If you're planning on escape, DON'T GET CAUGHT. If the terrorists know what you're doing, they'll blow your collar, or send guys after you, or do whatever. Basically, you get caught trying to escape, and you won't escape.
I should note that this does not mean that Zubin will necessarily follow them - it just means that if a situation that falls under these rules comes up, it will be mentioned. Also, Rule 5 is in there under the assumption that at the time of v5 (which I'm assuming is 2011), the v4 rescue was successful and publicly revealed. Should the actual turn of events be different, the rule will be edited or removed.
Female #16: Jaime Schanbacher; Status: ACTIVE 0
Female #42: Sabrina Luz; Status: ACTIVE 0

V5 Characters

V4 Characters

Survivor: The Cursed Islands

Mass Effect Mafia - PLAY AND WIN

SOTF Survivor 2 - PLAY AND WIN
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Bearded One
One of the Larpaajilta
[ * ]
* RULE 8: Don't startle people. In SOTF, people who are startled tend to think they're being attacked and are likely to react with violence.
v5 concepts:
Spoiler: click to toggle

SotF-TV:

Cash Money
Member Avatar
Come on and slam
[ *  * ]
Not sure how to phrase this one, but:
Rule 1.5: Don't kill anyone unless you have to. As soon as you've killed someone, you're a target.
V5 concepts:
Randall Cimora: aspiring music producer, easygoing, space cadet, new kid
     Currently blowing his Christmas money in Life is like a broken record
Leah Chapel: classic teenage rebel, sneaky, pessimistic, the un-favorite
     Re-upping in LSMFT
Milo Richter: consummate professional, intellectual, debater, self-conscious
     Convincing someone of what they already believe in Variables...

Lovely pics

In other news...

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I dislike how meta this idea is, in honesty. I'm not sure how well it'll wash in an actual profile. You're welcome to try, but still.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
It is a little meta, but it's not terribly different to the other "fan" characters we've had before. There are probably plenty of people out there who have something like this in mind for Battle Royale, it'd only be more likely when you consider Survival of the Fittest is real and all.
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.

Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Speaking as both a staff member and the writer of one of said 'fan' characters, it is very different.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Acidic
Member Avatar
Stuff Happened!
[ *  *  * ]
I dunno. I mean, look at MarWIN. He has a blog and a book. Of course this is in TV (a different universe all together), but I think it's still possible in this one.
Lars Nylund "Shit, I was here for something."
Shopping -> Shooting
Edith West "Who the hell is editing my posts?"
Flirting
Caleb Matthews "Don't worry, Bro. We're still cool."
Refereeing

Sig'd

A journey of a thousand miles ends with one,
"Fuck this, lets play video games."

-------------------------------------

I will always welcome constructive criticism through PMs.

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's a completely different universe, where the SOTF 'game' is the primary form of entertainment and extremely popular, you can't apply those scenarios to our regular 'verse.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

VinnyMcQ
Member Avatar
Has all the balls
[ *  *  * ]
If you had to live in a world where this could actually happen to you and your friends I don't think that after a couple of years people would start to really think about it as they went through school. If it was me I'd just avoid all trips whatsoever on principle
I'm not as awesome as this song makes out
I'm angry, underweight and sketching out
I'm building bonfires on my vanities and doubts
To get warm just like everybody else

Quote:

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V5. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

KamiKaze
Member Avatar
Can you hear me?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't know guys. Maybe it's just me and my love of weird meta antics, but I actually don't see this being too far out there. The main one I see being a little "huh?" would be the trip one. If they're not going on the trip, how are they going to be in the game? Also, v5 will be a couple of years in-story after v4, so I think people would only be a little worried at the most around this time. Sure, you will probably get security precautions put in place for a while because of it, but I think most people would say that the commotion would have died a bit by then, no? Unless the character was THAT paranoid, well, I'd accept that actually. But the trip question still stands. Then again, Zubin's buddies might have went "Hey homie, let's go on the trip! Stop being paranoid, it'll be fine, hon-OHOLYSHIT". That seems like a reasonable explanation, actually.

The rest, though, work if the guy got abducted and went "oh shit! I'm in this place! Quick, think of a survival plan!". They seem like smart things to do, even if you haven't watched SOTF. After all, some people are going to figure these things out, and if we're striving for realism... well, actually, it's not far out there for someone to say "Okay, what has happened on these programs before, and how can I avoid them?" if they got abducted. It could potentially be annoying if it was overplayed, of course. For example, if he overly referenced the events of previous versions, if it got too meta, or if it became the main focus of his character. So, be careful! But the concept could potentially work if written correctly. After all, a similar idea popped up in v4's Ericka Bradley, in that her father's reaction to the events was to educate her and her siblings about survival skills, so it has been established that people would do this in-universe in a way.

Good luck!
RICHARDS/BAINES OTP!

Coming to a V7 near you.
Bree Jones- "I'm not exaggerating when I say that my fish are smarter."
Roxanne "Roxie" Borowski- "Next video? Oh man, tons of ideas, dude. Lemme get the makeup for that."

In Loving Memory

Kami's Promise for v6 (doing this again)

Let's show that private threads aren't necessary! I pledge not to start any private threads on island in V6. If I started a thread, you are welcome to join it.

Ciel
Member Avatar
"That’s not a prediction, that’s a spoiler.”
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I... was going to keep quiet, but I feel it necessary to speak my mind. I hope you guys don't mind me rambling.

When I saw this earlier, I wasn't sure what to think. I... don't think I've ever seen this among the 'fan' characters before, and I've been around since V2. I'm honestly unsure as to whether this could really work or not. I wanna be hopeful and say yes, but I can't just excuse how meta this is. Acidic brings up a good point, but just keep in mind that the rules are much more lax on the mini. Besides, things in the TV world are a bit askew... well, fucked up too, if you want to go with that. Okay, really fucked up. And as Elena said, those don't exactly apply to this universe. We've always strive for realism.

So at this stage, I don't see the Rules of Thumb idea working. Elena's right, it's just too meta. At this stage.

I'm not saying this is not at all possible, it's just that it won't work like it is now. I'm quite sure that in any realistic situation, someone's gotta think of a list of rules for surviving SOTF. Chib's right, it's entirely likely and isn't at all unrealistic. We've had fan characters before. When I really think about it, I'm surprised a character hasn't done this already. So, yeah, I can't go and say that this idea isn't different from the other fan characters. It is very different. Impossible? No. Not even slightly.

However I don't... really understand the Zombieland connection. I don't think it works.

I always felt the rules were also used to establish Columbus, a unsociable WoW addict. He follows the rules because he has no one else. No family, no friends. Just a life spent inside watching movies and playing games. What I liked about the rules was that Columbus developed as a character when he's able to break his own rules to save someone! The rules themselves, while played up as a running gag for most of the movie, are meant to describe who Columbus is.

I doubt this is the case, because Decoy said plain out that Zubin wasn't necessarily going to follow the rules. I honestly have a few questions though. Why is he afraid? I'm sure anyone in the SOTF universe would be afraid of getting kidnapped, but is there something different about Zubin's feelings? What makes him want to come up with these rules? Is he paranoid that he'll get kidnapped? If that's the case, then why is he even going on the trip in the first place? That's the first rule after all - Don't go on any class trips! He's breaking Rule 0! Or is he going to come up with these rules once he's on the island? That could work, though it goes against Zubin's "isn't necessarily going to follow the rules" bit.

If you ask me, the rules should be a reflection of Zubin's personality like it did for Columbus. They should showcase how he's very strict and dedicated to following rules, or how paranoid he is or how savvy he is towards SOTF. Don't be like "This guy is so savvy about SOTF, he even made his own rules up", or place the rules in there to make Zubin stand out. Instead, work it out so that the rules itself describes your character better than simply... stating what your character is. That's just my opinion though.

But, yeah. I like what Kami came up with. Her idea of "Oh shit, think of a plan" might work in this case. Coming up with the rules in-game is a possibility. However, I actually came up with another idea that might work.

The rules of thumb would work much more realistically if they were done in jest, before the game ever started. Like... as a joke between friends that gets turned into a terrifying reality?

Here's an example. Take Scream and the whole scene about The Rules to Surviving a Horror Movie. I loved this scene. It's very self-aware, a bit of a "break the forth wall" situation, but it is also easy to understand and believable. Randy isn't wrong. He isn't the mouthpiece for the writer, spewing out criticism about the horror genre in general. He's not making up shit. He's a horror movie fan. That's his character, so he knows the situations and the deathpits inside and out! You know his rules are right... because five seconds after he made up his rules, people immediately break them and get slaughtered. The whole movie is a playful bout on the cliches of horror and breaking each one, but that doesn't need to be the case here. You can have your Randy, shouting out rules on how not to get killed and not be meta.

I just think it would work 'so' much better if the list was created not out of fear, but more as a joke. Tongue in cheek. Not to be taken seriously IC until... well. That way we can keep the "Don't go on any school trips" rule. Plus, I bet it could work wonders for Zubin's character. Once he gets kidnapped, he's gotta think of a plan! So? Use the rules as a lifesaver. He could cling to the rules in the hopes that they'll make him safe because he's afraid, and he has nothing else! Fear can make you do lots of crazy things. This wraps around to Kami's "Gotta think of a plan" idea too.

So... yeah. I hope this helps!

Jesus I write too much.
V6

G052 - Reed, Jasmine - 0% - Falchion - START END
G060 - Pfeiffer, Scout - 100% - Sawlaska Thunderfuck 5000 - START
G025 - Reyes, Audrey - 0% - Nunchaku - START END

releases greatest hits album, is an one-hit wonder

Little Boy
Member Avatar
STICK IT IN ZEE BOOOOOOOT~~~~
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
RULE 9: Never turn your back on anyone. Not even a friend. Sleep with one eye open.

:)
V5
Posted Image Posted Image
Oswaldo Marx --> "Chicks dig scars? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit." --> Cicada Nights
Mikko "Mike" Korhonen --> "Interesting, very interesting!" --> A Casual Question
V4 / Mini's

Quote:

"My dick did the Mexican Hat Dance and I had to suppress the moan that wanted to escape." - Casey

NOTE TO SELF: Burns on the left side. LEFT SIDE.

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
Maybe he wrote the list sort of around the time of v4, so he'd be younger and maybe a bit more dramatic/immature. I remember in school sometimes writing stupid lists with my friends when we were bored, how to survive a zombie apocalypse, what not to do if you're in a horror film, that kind of thing. Then SOTF would effectively go away for a few years and they'd probably forget about the list. Also he'd grow up, become less paranoid, so the 'not going on school trips' thing would pass.

Then in game it's like "oh SOTF", and then after a little while he remembers the list. Might be an amusing moment when he remembers the #1 rule about not going on school trips. Also, maybe, if you made him forget some of the useful rules and only remember weird/pointless ones, it would be kind of funny, and you would avoid some criticism about being meta.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?

storyspoiler
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
;) As a person who has written only characters who don't watch SOTF in V4 (and plans to do the same in V5) I think this idea is super-cute and awesome.
--------

Alice Boucher was a liar.
Liz Polanski played with fire.

And who the hell is Radio Asuka?

Little Boy
Member Avatar
STICK IT IN ZEE BOOOOOOOT~~~~
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
For once, I'd like the terrorists to abduct the kids at like, a school mass, just to shake things up.
V5
Posted Image Posted Image
Oswaldo Marx --> "Chicks dig scars? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit." --> Cicada Nights
Mikko "Mike" Korhonen --> "Interesting, very interesting!" --> A Casual Question
V4 / Mini's

Quote:

"My dick did the Mexican Hat Dance and I had to suppress the moan that wanted to escape." - Casey

NOTE TO SELF: Burns on the left side. LEFT SIDE.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply