Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V4 BKA/BDA Voting: July 2011
Topic Started: Aug 17 2011, 11:44 PM (1,742 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Once again, here's this month's BKA/BDA. This will be the final BKA/BDA of V4.

This will run for four days, and then be closed. The announcement should follow shortly thereafter.

All extensions have run their course, and nobody will be bumped because there is no contest next month. Anyone who went longer than their requested extension is off the list. If there are any mistakes, feel free to drop me a PM.

As was the case last month, we are doing anonymous voting! You won't see these 'til time ends. Another request, based on comments from past contests (and in no way directed specifically towards these fine writers, but rather as a general admonishment from here out): candidates, please do not "campaign" for votes. It's really unbecoming. I'll call you out in chat if I see you doing it, and nobody wants that.

That said, here you go:

Best Kill:
Aston Bennet for killing Quincy Jones
Kimberly Nguyen for killing Kris Hartmann
Jason Harris for killing Liam Brooks
Reiko Ishida for killing Joe Rios
Jimmy Brennan for killing Samya Franklin
Madeleine Smith for killing Trent Savage
Aaron Hughes for killing Fiona Sparki
Peter Siu for killing Mary-Ann Warren
Ema Ryan for killing Hayley Kelly
Raidon Naoko for killing Charlotte DuClare

Best Death:
storyspoiler for the death of Alice Boucher
Jonny for the death of Julian Avery
JamesRenard for the death of Garry Villette
Namira for the death of Kris Hartmann
xylophonefairy for the death of Neill Robertson
MK Kilmarnock for the death of Liam Brooks
Sean for the death of Joe Rios
Ciel for the death of Jessica Pentangeli
Serpentis.Deteramot for the death of Janet Binachi
zombiexcreame for the death of Fiona Sparki
Ruggahissy for the death of Mary-Ann Warren
Hollyquin for the death of Hayley Kelly
Jonny for the death of Charlotte DuClare
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

Flutterguy
Unregistered

Best Death Award: MK Kilmarnock for the death of Liam "Brook" Brooks.

Very few people do a killer's remorse right. It usually seems contrived, forced, some way to redeem a character in the eyes of their handler, some strange meta way of making the character a more neutral force. It very rarely works, in my opinion. In this case, it worked well. The scene was beautiful. I have one or two minor nitpicks, but no matter what, we're all amateur writers here, and frankly, I want to recognize the killer's remorse cliche done right. MK, you did a great job with Brook, through life and death. One of the few characters I followed right through to the end.

Best Kill Award: Jimmy Brennan, for killing Samaya Franklin.

Honestly, Jimmy is the most entertaining killer I've seen in quite some time. His decent into madness, and somehow he still manages to feel like the kid he was way back at the beginning of the game. It's realistic, and I love the way this kill was portrayed. He's obviously lost it. Nearly an orgasmic cry in his head when he realizes he's killed Samaya. It's gruesome, but it's not over the top.
Goto Top

Pink Bunny with Chainsaw
Unregistered

Not a lot of voting done yet, huh? I was going to last night, but... eh. I'm doing it now. I'm doing it now, I say!

BKA: Jason Harris, where did you go wrong? One of the cruelest situations that Survival of the Fittest pulls is forcing best friends to turn on each other and become bitter enemies, and that's what happened here. A great deal of my justification for Jason getting the best kill award is that he clearly didn't enjoy what he had done in having to finish off his best friend, and being rewarded for that would be a painful blow to his psyche. Welcome to SotF, kid.

BDA: Making me sad isn't always easy. We had a disturbingly high amount of deaths this conest. I mean... look at them. LOOK AT THEM. Yeah, there's a lot there. The death that stuck out to me this time was Hollyquinn's presentation of Hayley Kelly's death. Hayley is... not a character I have always liked. She's not very high up on my favorite killer's list, but she isn't on the bottom either. In spite of this, whatever she lacked for me in life, her death really made up for. We got a long, first-person viewing of the inside of her mind, shortly before that trigger was pulled. There are nitpicks as ever present, but it was incredible overall.
Goto Top

Unregistered

This is like the 2010 Oscars. How am I meant to pick a winner from all these epics?

Okay, so, the nominee from this anon for Best Actor Kill is Jimmy Brennan, for his most excellent murder of Samya Franklin. A tour de force from Little Boy here, genuinely had me inside the mind of a boy who was not necessarily right in the head any more, enthusiastically killing someone in a needlessly showy and sadistic way because she deserved it for wronging him. Very close call with some of the others, though.

As for Best Picture Death... I want to say that it's a dead heat. It really deserves to be, between Kris Hartmann, Jessica Pentangeli and Hayley Kelly. But the formatting's given me away there, and I have to pick an outright winner so it's Hayley. The nature of her death certainly helps here, but what swayed me was less the coming to terms with dying, which most great deaths deal with spectacularly, nor the moment of death itself, which all great deaths do so very well, but the tertiary part of it. Coming to terms with being killed by the person you love, not in betrayal, but mercy. The uncertainty, the seemingly misplaced pity, it's a fantastic ensemble and whilst I honestly want to say it's the equal of Kris' regrets and inability to accept forgiveness, and Jessica's heartbreakingly beautiful suicide... it gets my vote due to that outside dimension appealing to me just slightly more than the unique parts of the others do.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
REMINDER TO STAFF: DO NOT APPROVE VOTES. THIS IS OUR SECRECY MECHANISM.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, could everyone who has tried to vote please PM me? I just received notification that at least one handler received a strange message, and, upon checking, their vote did not go through. I don't need who you voted for, just that you have voted, so I can confirm your vote is in the system.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

gelatin skeleton
Unregistered

BKA: Kimberly Nguyen for killing Kris Hartmann. I know superlatives are icky but this is the single best kill I've ever read in SotF. This is something to look at in awe and aspire to match or exceed. This is something that, when you read it, one of your biggest thoughts should be wish I could write like that and another should be I'mma start working to be able to write like that. It's the most perfect realization of a character's arc I've seen within a single post, it's gripping and badass and disturbing and cathartic all at the same time. The conclusion, the little "letter to Kris" segment where she finally goes for the kill, keeps giving me chills every time I read it. Bravo, Toben. Bravo.

BDA: storyspoiler for the death of Alice Boucher. This thing is so quietly heartbreaking. A really great execution of the "killed with no idea why" scenario, framed in a way where it's not raging against the injustice of it, it's just... silently scared and confused. There's no sound and no fury to this post, but it's incredibly depressing nonetheless. Betsy's command of these very brief, very poignant phrases- the first and last lines stick out particularly- make it all the better.

Honorable mention: Ciel for the death of Jessica Petangelli. This one really struck a chord with me too. Very haunting, very powerful in its rejection of the usual forms of closure. It's a very sad death, very expertly written, and Jeff deserves props for it too.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So... it turns out the thread has eaten all votes since yesterday at noon. Only one non-hidden vote was still there. If you have voted since then, please revote, unless you receive a PM telling you I have your vote.

I'm adding two days to the timer because of this. This is not a pretty situation. No idea what went wrong.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

Woo wee there were a lot this month. Let's DO THIS.

Kill: Some good kills this month. I'd like to give recognition to Jason and Ema, who were both in lovely scenes, having to kill someone they cared about. Jason's "I can stay awhile" and Ema's devotion were both favorites of mine. However I'm going to have to give this one to Jimmy Fucking Brennan because he's just so much damn fun. He crushed a girl under a shelf of groceries and then shot her, which is defiantly something I haven't seen before. He's pretty well off his rocker but his thought process is still one I can follow. He's vicious but cowardly and even at his worst, I still sort of want to see him pull through because he's so entertaining. Vote goes to Jimmy, you're good enough to me, bud <3

Death: There were A LOT of good deaths this month. Good on all of you because it was really hard to choose. I liked Fiona's for the bit of imagination spot she had just before she died, I thought that was really interesting. Joe Rios' was a little sparse, but pitch perfect. It was realistic and sweet and had it been a little more fleshed out, it may have gotten my vote. Hayley's death was just gorgeous. It was a really hard choice between hers and my top pick and I wavered a lot between them. It was slow and it was gradual and though she was dying, much of Hayley's thinking was actually pretty funny. I like how she sort of separated herself from her body when she was coming to the end and though she tried to stay strong for Ema's sake, she was still afraid. It was an enjoyable read through and through. In the end I'm going to have to go with Jessica Pentangelli. God, this was just so sad. The scared little girl who died partly for love and a guy who didn't really love her anywhere near as much. She jumps off a cliff despite being scared of pretty much everything ever but in the end, she finds something sort of like peace. It's bittersweet and it's very pretty. Good job, Ciel.
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Aaron Hughes

Ohhhh man I hate this man. So much hate. In this death, Aaron's true colors are shown once again. Of course Aaron has never been a villain who's known to show his colors up front. It just really makes me sick to think that Aaron wasn't even planning on hitting anyone, but ended up killing Fiona anyway. He doesn't even give her a second glance. This? Is truly sickening, and I hope to god this guy gets his comeuppance. Despite that, Aaron is getting my vote tonight.

BDA: Charlotte DuClare

Charlotte just wanted to talk. There were plenty of deaths who wanted to make you cry. Go out in a blaze of glory, make you think. Charlie just wanted to talk. And talk she did. Not only does this make me thankful for following her for so long, it made a lasting impression on me. It made me like Raidon as a character, much more than before. It's made me appreciate Jonny as a writer. And if you ask me for my biggest reason? Well, I'll look at you and tell you straight. "It seemed like the best vote to make, at the time."
Goto Top

Unregistered

BKA: Ema Ryan for killing Hayley Kelly. This one may need a bit of explanation, but I truly believe Ema is one of the single most despicable and evil characters ever to be entered into SOTF. After meeting Hayley, she has spent her entire time following her and hiding in her shadow, popping out of it only to murder enough people to build a bit of a name for herself. She has pretty much used Hayley each step of the way, and every so often there have been little hints that eventually the time would come to discard her girlfriend. That isn't exactly what happened, but it was close enough. Whatever Ema's personal justifications were, whatever she thought about easing the pain and doing the right thing, the fact remains that, from a pragmatic perspective, she just took herself from a lower-end killer to a serious threat by adding Hayley to her kill list. In effect, she co-opted Hayley's legacy as her own, using even her girlfriend's death to improve her chances. Ema's been shown to be an absolute master at self-deception, and I think that shows through here as well. Whatever altruism the act is wrapped in, the fact remains that Ema acted in a way that, from a purely strategic perspective, is rather brilliant, and that deserves some reward.

BDA: Charlotte DuClare
This death worked on a surprising number of levels. Its a death that manages to be moving without being bloody, or even notably dramatic. What makes it work is the underlying emotions. It is not the most openly emotional death this month, but it has an incredible amount underlying it. Throughout her entire time on the island, from her waking moments following Kevin Warick's saxophone music to her time with Isabel and Dave to her attempts to rationalize her betrayal by her leader, Charlie has been looking for some measure of normalcy. Each time, it has been snatched away from her by the violence and circumstance of the island. It is only fitting, in a way, that she finally attain it upon her death. This scene was also very well written and balanced between Raidon and Charlie, making it an absolute joy to read and a truly key moment for both characters.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just for the record, closing time on this is in about six hours. If you want to vote, the sooner the better.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

Somber Lupine
Unregistered

BDA goes, without question, to Julian Avery. I enjoyed writing Charlie's death with Jonny--it was so much fun writing a casual get-to-know-you conversation between these two strangers in these bizarre circumstances--but I've been a fan of Julian Avery since day one and his death is exactly what I think a death should be, which is a perfect culmination of the character. Julian dies desperately trying to prove to himself and to everyone that he is what he wants to be, and the quiet misstep on which the post ends is just great.

BKA goes to Peter Siu. I like Solomir's writing for Peter in general, and I thought the whole thread was a very solid piece of writing between Rugga and Soli--a very classic death scene, with building tension and fear that ultimately cannot be resolved.
Goto Top

fartybutt
Unregistered

BDA: This month's BDA is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make on this board. It was an incredibly difficult choosing between Jonny & Jonny, but in the end, Jonny just barely edged Jonny out. I'm sorry if this offends you, Jonny, but Jonny is just blatantly better than you.

I don't think I've made it any secret how much I adore Julian Avery's death. I'm totally thrilled to have his quote (& one of my favorite quotes on SOTF, ever, period) scrolling across the top of my screen as I write this. The whole seen was a gorgeous conclusion for Julian & Alice & showcased how ridiculously talented both Adam & Betsy are. It's, imho, one of the most wonderfully dramatic & impactful scenes in v4. It has that wonderful cinematic quality that so much of us strive for, & has this really great effect of making both characters both pathetic & larger-than-life all at once. As a whole, the entire scene is brilliant work by a group of painfully talented writers & one of the most cohesive & high-quality pieces of writing I've ever seen on this site.

Which is why I'm throwing in a vote for Charlie DuClare.

Charlie's death is every bit as wonderful as Julain's, but in a totally different way. It's not cinematic or dramatic or flashy. It's just two kids talking. This is one of the few deaths where I could imagine the characters in the context of "hey, these are real human beings" rather than
some big glossy movie scene with dramatic music swelling in the background. & with the rest of us falling over ourselves to create these huge sensational scenes to try & do our characters some kind of justice, it takes balls to try something so understated in a character's final moments. & it worked fucking perfectly. If "Biggest monster dies at the end of the book" is an example of the best of the cinematic & dramatic, "Tell me something cool about yourself" is undeniable proof that the opposite can be even greater.

If nothing else, Adam has definitely had the most stylish exit from a game I've ever seen. Well fucking done.

BKA: I came so, so close to giving this to Raidon. If any of v4's players deserve a BKA, it's him. He's one of the best players we've ever had & it seems like such a shame for him to be so overlooked as far as Best Kills go. However, I'm going to have to go with Kimberly Nguyen. To see why: go to her kill post. Read from "Hey Kris," onwards. If you do not get chills, you may not have a heart. Or a spine, if you're more of a spine-tingle person. Either way, it's something you should get checked out.

I think it speaks volumes that Kimberly, a non-player, has had such ridiculously solid & compelling kills. For all of you wanting to write players in v5 or any future Minis, please, take a page from Toben, whether it be from Kimberly or Aaron or Karen Ruiz. This is a guy who knows exactly what he's doing, & we'd all be complete idiots to not take notes.
Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's about an hour or so past time. We should have results up with the next announcement (hopefully soon).
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Contest Voting · Next Topic »
Locked Topic