Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best Killer Award
Topic Started: Jul 9 2011, 03:04 AM (3,371 Views)
Grim Wolf
Member Avatar
The Very Best
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So it came up in chat that there's a bit of a discrepancy between BKA OOC and BKA IC. The Best Kill Award is ostensibly awarded by the SotF staff to the kill they find most engaging for their own reasons and results in a prize to the killer, ostensibly so that they become more lethal. However, the kills we vote on vary enormously from what the SotF staff would ostensibly see, since we have access to the character's thoughts and emotions. What would be a Best Kill--be it something creative or dramatic--would vary enormously from an outsiders perspective and an insiders perspective. The prize for BKA makes this point somewhat moot, however--it's a weapon that doesn't actually become effective without the OOC approval of another handler

So I think we should have an additional award tier. A Best Killer Award.

The Best Killer Award would have the same prize as the BDA--a roll null--and would ostensibly be awarded not on what kill is circumstantially the best but what kill is the best written, by whatever criteria we use to define that. A given character would also only be eligible for the Best Killer Award once--he or she could not win multiple Best Killer Awards.

I realize this might be a bad idea, but I think it's at least worth considering. Essentially...

Best Death Award: self-explanatory.

Best Kill Award: awarded based on the merits of the circumstances of the death. While there may be considerable overlap (i.e. Jimmy Brenna might win both Best Kill and Best Killer), Best Kill would be based mainly on the facts of the death.

Best Killer Award: just as the Best Death is awarded to the writer who can make their death touch the most people, however that may be, the Best Killer Award would go to the killer whose killpost/s was/were the most touching, in whatever way that might be.
Want to buy my book? See my short stories? Read my fanfiction? Visit my website!

V6 Players

Tara Behzad: "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

Alex Tarquin: "No more masks."

V5 Players

V4 Players
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rattlesnake
Member Avatar
Now you may be wondering, who was wearing the bolo tie? Me or the shark? Answer: YES!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll throw up what I mentioned in chat.

1. Roll null wasn't/isn't a viable option for Best Kill, and probably wouldn't work for Best Killer. I know it's quality of writing vs gruesome/showy kills, but BKA is mostly an OOC award, too, and then this becomes CotM: Player Edition.

2. How is it different enough from our current BKA to justify it? and

3. Why would Best Killer not just win Best Kill every month, too? If there's no reason, why have two discrete awards?
VeeFive

V4

NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
quite honestly, i'd rather see BKA done away with entirely. it's fundamentally flawed as an IC award that relies on OOC judging, & the prizes are usually things that just encourage less creativity & thoughtfulness in kills. on top of that, it encourages really silly, over-the-top flashy kills for people vying for the award. altogether it does more harm than good.

also, the last thing we need is more nulls in play. that should stick with BDA alone. two a month would just be too much, & we should always encourage quality deaths first over kills

i'd like to see some kind of process to acknowledge quality kills/players, but i don't think anything prize-oriented will cut it.

Anderson
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Part of the problem, at least as I see it, is that there's no objective standard to work with. Is the best kill the bloodiest one? The one where the prose is more purple than the body of its victim? Is it a creative or unique death, one that is both well-written and which averts certain conventions? And so on...

With a "best killer" award, you'd run into the same problem: Is the "best" killer the one with the highest body count? The one who is the most ingenious in managing to obtain kills? Or perhaps (and I can see an in-game justification for this) the most sadistic bastard?
Characters:
David Anderson (deceased)
Tyler Franklin (deceased)
Bill Davis (not dead yet...but soon!)

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There are some flaws in BKA, what with the IC/OOC gap, but honestly I really don't want to introduce another competition, especially one that gives an incentive for people to have their characters play. BKA prizes are in character RPing tools and some kudos, nothing more than that.

I don't find this plausible, sorry.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

Crash
Member Avatar
Power Bottom
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Agreed, especially on the point karsk made about there being too much incentive for people to write over-the-top, excessive and needlessly flashy kills already - more motivation on that front is something we don't need. I can't see this idea doing anything constructive.

Sorry - I'm opposed, too.
v4 Characters:

G23: Claire Lambert: Property of the Fabulous Mr. Toben

v3 Characters:

B65: Dorian Ibanescu: Coastline

Deceased:

B57 - Jeff Marontate: Cleaved
B120: Jim Middleton: Pummeled
G61: Anna Grout: Submitted
G62: Andrea Vanlandingham: Martyred
G39 Alexis Machina: Crushed
G23: Trish McCarroll: Defeated

natlei was sleeping in her bed when someone came thru her window "get away rapist" she said still half asleep and hit one of them in the head with her liucky frying pan then went back tyo bed them men the injected her with a sedative and carried her off

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was a good thought, but I'll further the notion that this wouldn't work out. Also, definitely not in favor of removing BKA. BDA may always be considered the more prestigious of the two awards, but I feel that BKA is still important. IC, yes, it is rewarding those who kill, since that's what the terrorists want and all. I don't feel that it stifles creativity at all either (subsequent kills don't have to be made with BKA prizes, and creative/emotional deaths can still happen at the hands of a swift and painless bullet), but you may have something going with the whole 'trying to hard to make a stupidly flashy death' bit. At that point, it's up to trusting our judging and if we can't do that, then there's no point in having a BDA either.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just jumping onboard here to second what's been said, and also to add some math reasoning.

BDA giving you a null is fine for one reason: you are down a character. This means, in effect, that your chances of winning, rather than being reduced by a death, remain the same. You may also only win as often as you have characters.

To give any sort of null for a BKA would result in the chances of winning actually increasing, and you could win as often as their were contests, assuming you could find a willing victim. It would actually be a way, way better prize than BDA is, and would unbalance the game.

EDIT: Missed the eligibility. Still, it would double the nulls a handler could win, and would encourage making sure every one of your characters gets at least one kill, while effectively punishing handlers who play pacifists.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bluh. I understand the reasoning here- it always sort of bugged me how many people vote for BKA on a totally OOC basis without thinking that it is in fact Danya giving this award. But I think the real solution is just...to get people to understand that they're supposed to be voting for this on an OOC basis. Maybe a reminder announcement would be appropriate, or something like that. But yeah I agree that another award, especially one with a roll null as a prize, wouldn't really work.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I feel like voting on BKA can be IC or OOC, with good justification for either. Really, how many good kills on an OOC level don't have something to back them up IC? There's some sort of drama going on, at the least, and I can see the terrorists appreciating that.

Example: Josie stifling Sierra. The piece was very well written, and, beyond that, it someone murdering her best friend in her sleep. It was acceptable on an OOC level because it was excellent and emotional, and it was acceptable on an IC level because it was a betrayal and a dramatic culmination to tensions that had been building for days. I suspect any kill that has won will fit at least the IC category in some way.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That said, voting on the basis of whether or not that character will actually pick up the weapon is AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

There's an intrinsic award here, too: Letting people know they're putting out quality writing.
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

Rocky
Member Avatar
They see me walking, they hating
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I feel like since BKA is an IC award, it should be treated and voted upon with IC reasoning. If it was an OOC award, not nessicarily a null mind you, then it'd make more sense for it to be voted from an OOC perspective. Maybe an extra swap card, which doesn't really increase the handler's overall chance of survival, but it lets them pick and choose a bit more with their characters than they already can. I just feel that in v4 particularly there has been a lot of BKAs given out on entirely OOC reasons, and an IC award for OOC justifications just doesn't sit right with me.

Also if we're really so jaded that the only way we can tell someone we liked a kill is to vote them for an award then I think we have a whole different issue.
G068 Chan, Yuan Stephanie

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
with his permission, i'd like to quote the big man himself:

Quote:

James [6:06 PM]: but yeah, bka was meant as a writing award & not an IC award all along, right?
Aaron [6:07 PM]: it's a little bit of both
Aaron [6:07 PM]: but when you pick who wins
Aaron [6:07 PM]: you're basing it on the quality of the writing and the emotional impact
Aaron [6:07 PM]: not on who makes the most sense to Danya
Aaron [6:07 PM]: it's up to the STAFF to provide the justification for why Danya would pick that, not the player base

BKA is an OOC award, in the same vein as BDA. that it involves an IC award is a huge flaw imo, & i'd rather see the whole thing scrapped. but for now, the intention is & has always been to judge kills in a primarily OOC sense. just felt the need to clarify that

Rocky
Member Avatar
They see me walking, they hating
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
in which case, if it's not going to be scrapped altogether, then switching to non-IC award would be prudent I think. Something, like I mentioned in my last post, like an extra swap card, which doesn't give the handler more survivability overall, but may give individual characters more survivability, since they'd have more chances to pick and choose who dies when they do get rolled.
G068 Chan, Yuan Stephanie

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Again, if you're looking at the 'award' for a BKA as anything other than a RPing tool, then you're doing it wrong. Getting another weapon shouldn't be a big deal, and I don't really see it as a 'huge flaw'.

It's an acknowledgement nod and a new toy, that's all, and to suggest that it's the only way we let people know about what kills we appreciate is to completely ignore the fact that people regularly talk to one another off the board about such things.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Support/Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply