Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Confiscate the Crown; [Day 10- Private]
Topic Started: Jun 24 2011, 11:49 AM (3,479 Views)
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Hayley Kelly continued from Paint it Black]]


Yeah, remember that whole no-sense-of-direction thing?

...Yeah.

Shit.


It'd been...maybe an hour, maybe less since she'd left the crime scene, or whatever you wanted to call it, the place where Maxwell Lombardi had snapped some poor boy's neck. Having completely failed at the ally-making type plans, she figured she might as well get back to her actual ally. The only one on this island she could actually bring herself to trust. Ema Ryan- not to mention all her stuff, which she'd left with her. Including her cigarettes. Very important things, and she really wished she had one right now because goddammit being dead lost was stressful.

Yeah, she was dead lost. Probably because she couldn't read a map. Also because she had completely and totally forgotten that she had a compass. That might've helped a bit, possibly, but all she was noticing was how she kept walking and things just seemed to get more and more unfamiliar. Even that she hardly noticed, though. She was passing the time in her own headspace.

Wonder how she's doing without me...how they're all doing OH WAIT, there is no they, everyone's dead. Or home, one of the two, shit, did they really blow the boat up? Boats, even, there weren't that many people on the one, I didn't see Isabel, there were probably...they did say they blew them up. And they usually don't lie about this shit but like...how big of a kick in the ass to them would it have been if they succeeded? They like pretending they're on top of everything. Admitting that, oh look, half the island got away on these shiny little boats, they're all going to live and your chances are pretty much nil, goodnight and good luck- yeah, unlikely. They probably made it. Why wouldn't they make it? Getting the boats probably wasn't priority, like they really care about a bunch of kids who probably were no fun on camera anyway. If some shit was going on at their little base camp, bet it was, that's where they're gonna focus.

And what about Danya, anyway? No way it was coincidence that he disappears right after the fucking rescue squad comes- OOOOF.


She'd run into a tree.

Ow.

Okay, ruminating time was over. At home or dead, she didn't have to worry about Jay or Isabel right now. Ema, on the other hand, was (hopefully) still alive and now was finding-the-girlfriend time. Hayley finally bothered to dig up her map, remembering that she was in the Coastal Woods. ...Or maybe she wasn't anymore. There was another wooded area right next to it that she might well have stumbled into. No way to really be sure. She could've just gone north...but she'd been north in those woods before. North was where Kyle had died. This was something else.

So she'd skewed east. Okay. That was a problem, but a fixable one, if she could find a clearing to look at the sun. The sun. Rises in the east, sets in the west, yeah? she thought, hoping it was still early enough for the sun to be what she wanted to be walking towards. She contemplating climbing a tree again- sure it had been fucking terrifying the first time, but at least she'd see the sky- when she heard a rustling sound.

Rustling sounds meant company. Company was most unwelcome.

Hayley's grip on Vera tightened as she stood against a tree, covering her back. She searched for a disturbance in the foliage. The disturbance was going to catch a bullet.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
((Thea Kairos continued from Everyday is like Sunday ))

((GMing of Hayley approved.))

Thea stalked the island with a sense of purpose. She was going to find Hayley and make her pay. Thea continued walking in the direction that she had last seen Hayley disappear. Realistically, she knew the chances of finding her again were slim. But then she had managed to find her once already. And the girl seemed to have no trouble finding the people Thea cared about.

She slowed slightly when the announcement of a possible rescue rang through the island. Thea gave a short laugh and shook her head. What kind of sick torture had Danya dreamt up for them now? She was almost positive that this was only the latest in his attempts to kill of her senior class. He probably had some sick trap to get rid of those that he decided weren’t going to play the game. Part of here was glad to hear that there were still some of her classmates who refused to play. The thought that she could go and investigate this trap only briefly crossed her mind. She’d decided she was going to play, if only long enough to get rid of Hayley.

Thea wasn’t surprised when the next announcement was a long list of those that had taken part in the rescue attempt. She was saddened to hear Acacia’s name among them, and took a moment to mourn the loss of another friend. She neared the woods and came up short. She’d been in these woods twice before. This is where she’d started, where she’d found and lost James. Thea sighed and continued on, glancing back at Mary-Ann. She wasn’t being a very good companion at all. She was glad to have Mary-Ann with her. Glad the girl had decided to join her on her mission, without the fighting that had come up the last time the subject had been broached.

Thea moved through the woods quietly, she saw movement out of the corner of her eye. She froze and turned her head to follow the movement. She couldn’t believe it. Hayley was making her way through the forest not 20 feet in front of her. Thea shadowed the girl for a while, inching her way closer as she went. She was determined not to make the same mistake she had when Charlie was in danger. Thea thought she was just getting close enough when she noticed Hayley’s behavior changed.

Hayley backed herself against a tree and turned to face the woods to the right of her. Hayley was facing the wrong direction, which gave her the opportunity she’d been waiting for. Forgetting the gun that was in her bag, she launched herself at Hayley.

Taking a page from the football players, she cheered so often for; she solidly hit Hayley sending the gun flying from the girl’s grip. Not giving the girl a chance to recover she raised her fist and punched her hard in the face.

“You bitch, you took them. You took them both from me,” she cried.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day
Kathryn Nguyen G61 - deceased Start
Bianca Howard G45 - deceased Start
Logan Cadagon B16 - deceased Start

V4 Characters:
Thea Kairos - G067 - deceased
Alexandria "Alex" Jackson - G046 - rescued
Marion Summers - G074 - deceased
Gracie Wainwright - G081 - deceased
Samaya Boen-Hilstrand - G064-deceased
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
((Mary-Ann Warren continued from Everyday is Like Sunday))

Mary-Ann followed after Thea in the thick forest. She sighed and wiped her forehead of sweat. She moved her tongue around her mouth.

Thirsty, she thought sadly.

Sometime while they'd been walking they'd heard the announcement of escape. Thea didn't want to risk checking it out.

It would be just like Danya to raise their hopes just to dash them. It seemed she'd made the right call because not a day later they were all dead. All of them.

Mary-Ann chewed on her cheek. There had to be less than a quarter of the class left. It still baffled her that she'd made it this long. Now she was starting to have second thoughts about finding Hayley. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to go looking for a killer many times over. However, Thea was inconsolable and her thirst for revenge insatiable. Her anger was torrefied into a bright, strong blaze that Mary-Ann didn't think she'd have any chance reasoning with.

So she followed. She tagged along. She was so afraid of what would happen if they found Hayley. Well, speak of the devil and he will appear. Just as Mary-Ann had the thought about Hayley, they'd found her.

Mary-Ann gripped her gun tightly. They followed quietly. They slinked behind them softly, so softly until Thea launched at Hayley. In the fray, Hayley'd lost her gun. Mary-Ann kept the gun trained the girls, but knew she'd never shoot.

"Thea..."
things
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, that's cool, yeah. Come from the wrong fucking direction and tackle her. A gunshot she was kind of expecting. This...not so much.

"Gah-!"

Hayley hit the ground. She couldn't put up much of a fight for several reasons- first of all this other girl, who the fuck is this cunt anyway, she'd come out of nowhere. She'd thought she was covering all her angles but apparently not because this girl snuck right in through the blind spot she didn't know she had. Second of all, she'd just been smacked with 150 pounds of raging mostly-muscle, and 150 pounds is a fuckton when it's about fifty pounds more than your total body weight. Throw in Hayley being (hahaha) a delicate fucking flower and you had a recipe for disaster, disaster here meaning Hayley Kelly hitting the floor.

She had a brief moment to contemplate exactly how lucky she'd been, that she hadn't yet been injured, at least not seriously. The self-inflicted stress-cuts on her sides didn't count. This was Survival of the Fittest and she was healthy as a healthy thing, least until she was on the ground and all he thoughts were forced out of her head. She'd swear up and down, if she had the opportunity to do so, that she'd heard something crack- she hadn't, or at least it hadn't been anything in her body, though it fucking hurt enough that she might as well have snapped something. Fuck, it occurred to her that she'd never been attacked like this in her life, and she was suddenly really glad she wasn't a boy, boys got in shit like this all the time it seemed like, that must suck-

and then a fist connected with her face.


"OW! Jesus FUCK-"

THAT FUCKING HURT. Holy SHIT that hurt. New on that list of firsts for today, her goddamn bucket list, being punched in the fucking eye by some crazy bitch yelling something at her- "bitch" blah blah "took them" blah blah "from me" blah blah sorry Hayley couldn't hear that well she was being punched in the face. Honestly, Hayley had no idea who this girl was, though clearly she knew Hayley quite well. Presumably someone she killed was important to her, or more than one of them considering the plural pronoun the girl had used. Fuck, far as she knew there was nothing connecting any of the people she'd killed. Not that she'd known any of them that well.

But then there was that fist connecting with her face. With her body. Over. And over. And it was hard to think of anything at all.

She struggled. She did. She fought, squirming rather pathetically under the other girl's superior muscle mass, and predictably she failed to accomplish much of anything. She couldn't move, and she was in pain, so much fucking pain and she kept cursing mainly to keep herself conscious, keep herself present, and to keep the other girl from feeling like she was winning. But the occasional moan of pain slipped out. She just wasn't used to this. Fuck, she'd never even been hit before, not that she didn't deserve it for all the stunts she'd pulled over the years. Stealing boyfriends. Breaking hearts.

Karma was a bitch goddess.

And she went for her gun, of course she went for her gun, Vera was a one-stop shop solution to all her human-removal needs but guess what? She, it, whatever, was gone- maybe that was the crack she'd heard, the sound of her darling dear gun flying out of her hand, hitting a rock or something. Who knew. She realized she was damn lucky this girl hadn't just gone to grab the gun- she'd be dead by now. Dead. Dead.

She could die here.

That...shit.

No, okay, don't think about it like that. She hasn't shot you yet, she just...shit, could she kill me like this? It feels...feels enough like I'm dying, fuck...fuck, oh god, I...what do I do, shit, what do I do, gotta get out of here, she...god, fuck, OW, ow, owwww, please, please make it stop, stop it somehow, fucking Christ, stop it, I-

No no no stop bitching and do something, girly, for the love of fuck, do anything-


Right, okay, opportunity, find an opportunity. Find a way to not die, because dying here wasn't an option. So far away from Ema. All alone. Dammit, she had shit to do, she wasn't going to go down against some rampaging slut too fucking stupid to grab her fucking gun. Wasn't going to go down in a fucking fistfight that wasn't even a fistfight. This was the jock beating up the nerd in junior high, except the jock was aiming to kill. Okay, sure, the odds were against her, but she had to be able to do something.

Hey, well, she wasn't being restrained, not really. She could move her arms, not that they could do much. She'd been biting her nails too much for them to be an effective weapon. Her legs- same story. Her head...

Her head.

Right.

And so when the next punch landed on Hayley's face, she snapped her head sideways and bit the girl's wrist as hard as she fucking could.
Edited by Hollyquin, Jun 26 2011, 06:57 PM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thea felt better with every punch that landed. How this thing had managed to kill so many people she couldn’t figure out. She was barely defending herself. Bully, that’s what she was, tough when she could hide behind her gun. But here all she could do was her impression of a punching bag.

Thea hadn’t been in a fight for quite some time, not since she’d found less violent and more satisfying ways to get back at someone. It seemed however that you never forgot how to throw a punch.

She watched with satisfaction as Hayley struggled but couldn’t get free. She brought her fist down once more and was surprised when Hayley turned her head and sunk her teeth into Thea’s wrist.

Thea gasped and instinctively drew her hand back. Clutching it with the other one, she looked down at Hayley’s rapidly bruising face.

“You bitch,” she cried. Thea glanced around and noticed where Hayley’s gun had fallen, saw that Mary-Ann was to be of no help. She stood there pointing the gun, but had yet to fire or even make Hayley aware of her presence. Thea knew that she needed to keep Hayley away from the gun and focused her attention on subduing Hayley again. She reached out and grabbed for Hayley’s arms.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day
Kathryn Nguyen G61 - deceased Start
Bianca Howard G45 - deceased Start
Logan Cadagon B16 - deceased Start

V4 Characters:
Thea Kairos - G067 - deceased
Alexandria "Alex" Jackson - G046 - rescued
Marion Summers - G074 - deceased
Gracie Wainwright - G081 - deceased
Samaya Boen-Hilstrand - G064-deceased
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sickening crunch. A light splatter of blood. Hayley scraped and struggled and eventually came back at Thea by sinking her teeth into Thea's exposed wrist. It was a devastating location. It was home to some important veins and Mary-Ann remembered her father telling her how easy it was to break a wrist.

Mary-Ann felt queasy. This wasn't something she could do. She closed her eyes and started to sob. She shook her head and stared at them through her watery haze.

"Stop it. Stop doing this," she mumbled.

Thea deserved her revenge. She did and Mary-Ann knew it, but she just couldn't stomach to watch this. She couldn't watch Thea and Hayley rip each other limb from limb like animals.

"Stop it, please!" she begged.

In her desperation she accidentally squeezed the trigger. Mary-Ann squeeked and stood perfectly still with all hair on ends in shock.

"Sorry."
things
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
She flinched. The other girl flinched. Not that that wasn't a normal reaction to being bitten, sure, but still, you'd think that your pain tolerance went up along with your adrenaline. You'd think that with your life on the line maybe you'd be able to resist, maybe you'd be able to hold on to a girl who's more than capable of killing you if you give her the fucking chance but hey, you could also give her that chance, that's definitely cool with her. She's totally okay with the way you drew back your arms like the fangs that had sunk in your wrist were full of poison.

That would do it. Or at the very least, that was a first step.

“You bitch," yeah, okay, I'm the bitch, sure, whatever makes you happy, you fucking lowlife cunt-ass motherfucker-

The other girl's arms reached for hers, in an attempt to hold her down, and that couldn't be allowed, if this girl got her arms down she was never getting out of here, least not in anything but a body bag, not that she could even hope for that much. So she squirmed away, but, shit, the other girl's body weight, that was still a thing and a major issue, though she did manage to give herself a little wiggle room, getting herself a good amount closer to Vera, her body gleaming in the sunlight maybe three feet away-

And there was a gunshot.

WHO THE FUCK-

But who cared, it didn't matter who it was, and she thought she heard a voice, but the voice didn't matter, what mattered was that she wasn't hit and that the other girl wasn't hit but that the other girl was distracted and wasn't she just thinking about opportunities? Yeah, they didn't make them better than this. She had a fraction of a second to react, at least to react in a way that would change the flow of this...was battle a word that worked here? Was it a battle if one member did nothing but be pummeled? Whatever, change the flow of this beating she was receiving- she had to move, now, and she did, slipping out from under the other girl and delivering a kick that probably accomplished nothing but whatever, even just trying felt good.

crawlcrawlcrawlgetitgetigetitgetitgetit-

Her hand reached out desperately as she crawled away, ignoring the throbbing pains that wracked her entire body, holy fuck even this, even moving this slowly, it felt like her body had been torn apart but she kept going because she didn't want to know just yet if death felt any better-

and she was rewarded with the wave of pleasure, of suddenly restored confidence, that came as her hand brushed warm metal.

Motherfucking miracles, man.

Hayley grinned and spun back around to find the girl having gained her bearings, now trying to get away. Not so fucking tough now, are ya? She couldn't move, knew she wouldn't be able to chase the girl- wasn't sure how she'd get back to Ema, for that matter- and she felt the presence of another person nearby, but that didn't matter. She was running on adrenaline, on not-quite-righteous fury. And she squeezed the trigger.

One.

Two.

Three.

I win.
Edited by Hollyquin, Jun 28 2011, 12:18 AM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Arscapi
Member Avatar
Anonymous Capybara
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thea jumped as the gun went off near her. She turned, Hayley temporarily forgotten, to find Mary-Ann pointing a weapon at her.

“Mary-Ann, what are you doing,” she demanded. “Who are you trying to shoot?”

She felt Hayley moving underneath her and glanced down to see the girl reaching for her gun. ‘Shit,’ she thought scrambling to her feet. She looked around for the bag that she’d dropped earlier. Thea found it and took a step towards it. That’s when the gunshots rang out.

Thea grunted as pain shot through her body. Her hand instinctively went to her side, putting pressure on the wound. She hissed as the pressure sent more pain through her body. She had to get out of there; she couldn’t take on Hayley like this. Thea would have to find someplace to treat her wounds. Then she could come back and finish what she’d started. After all she’d found Hayley once, she was no confident you could do it again.

With these thought in mind Thea turned and hurried away from Hayley.

((Thea Kairos continued in In for a Penny, In for a Pound ))
Edited by Arscapi, Jun 29 2011, 01:58 AM.
V5 characters
Kaliska Day
Kathryn Nguyen G61 - deceased Start
Bianca Howard G45 - deceased Start
Logan Cadagon B16 - deceased Start

V4 Characters:
Thea Kairos - G067 - deceased
Alexandria "Alex" Jackson - G046 - rescued
Marion Summers - G074 - deceased
Gracie Wainwright - G081 - deceased
Samaya Boen-Hilstrand - G064-deceased
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"I was-" she blurted out.

And then there was a noise. Mary-Ann turned her head away and shut her eyes tight by reflex when she heard it. It took a moment for her to realize she was holding her breath. Her head snapped back around and she looked at Hayley. The girl looked triumphant. Elated. Her eyes told the whole story of what she'd done. She looked at the girl and then hefted the gone up at her.

Thea! Mary-Ann looked down at the spot they'd been tussling. There was blood, but no girl. Had she wandered off? Based on the amount of blood on the ground the girl was a goner. It was surprising that she'd managed to move at all. Mary-Ann wasn't going to risk having a nice long look around to figure out where she'd gone.

She had her gun aimed at Hayley and Hayley had her gun as well. It was a stand-off.

"I-I'm not a-afraid of you," she choked out.

Mary-Ann swallowed and heart her heart beat loud. She could have sworn she felt her teeth buzzing too.

"I'll do it," she said quietly. "I will."

R.J. had taught her how. He had her try without the bullets. Squeeze the trigger.

I can't.
things
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
She was gone.

She was gone, and judging from the way she'd clutched at her stomach and from the puddle of warm blood she'd left behind, from the dripping falling off of her, the trail that she could easily follow if she actually felt like doing that...it seemed like she'd be gone for real, permanent-like, very, very soon. And baby makes seven, she thought, her own inner voice sounding faint. Everything was getting the slightest bit too...spinny, for her taste. Was spinny a word? It didn't sound like a word, it sounded like something she'd made up on a drunken escapade, trying to describe the inevitable head rush that results from standing after sitting and drinking for far too long. This head rush felt a bit like that one, except that one generally wasn't accompanied by, or caused by, insane quantities of pain. Everything hurt. To a degree that all she could do about it was think about other things.

Like the whole seven-kill bit. Pulling away from the motherfucking pack. Of course, the question still remained of who the hell that girl was. She sort of cared, she didn't know why, and then she didn't know why she wouldn't care, it was all very confusing, like parts of her brain that she'd made a point to stifle were making a reappearance. It was hard to keep your thoughts down when you were losing control of everything. Mind and body. Her legs weren't moving and her mind was reminding her that she should know who this girl was, the one whose death she'd been responsible for, because that was the least she could do, was to remember that these were people, that they were real and she was killing them and that was...bad, or something, god, her head hurt and everything was really lost and confusing and there was blood in her mouth and this darkness creeping slowly at the corners of her vision...

And there was a person.

Another person. A different one.

And she was holding a gun, so that was nice. Always a good time, guns were, especially when they were being pointed at you.

"I-I'm not a-afraid of you."

Really? Okay. Give me a moment to pretend to believe you. The corner of her mouth twitched up a bit, though even that movement was enough to send a wave of pain rushing through her head. Her fingers...her fingers were one of the few parts of her that had gotten out of this beating unscathed, and they tightened around Vera, figuring that if she could beat back that whole moral ambiguity argument again (she'd done a pretty fucking good job of it so far) she could let this be number eight and hell, then she'd REALLY be pulling away from the pack. Second place wasn't bad. Not bad at all.

"I'll do it. I will."

Hayley would have been a bit more amused by that remark had she not suddenly remembered the gunshot- the one that gave her the opportunity to escape her attacker. It must've been this girl, no way around it. But then she remembered exactly how badly she had missed and her amusement came back. A marksman, this girl was not. She was another mystery, though. Did she know the other girl? Wouldn't she be going after her if she did? Or maybe she figured she'd do the other one's bidding, finish what she'd started...or maybe she was totally related and had just found her in the woods. Taking the opportunity to take out a killer.

It was funny how her injuries were fucking with her self-preservation instinct. Maybe if she was thinking logically she'd think of a comeback, some logical reason why this girl shouldn't just kill her, but Hayley's contempt for her combined with how incoherent her thoughts were being led to her right hand twitching slowly upward. Honestly, she was almost surprised that the girl didn't fire at her when she had the chance. No sense looking a fucking gift...whatever in the...face, shit, how did that one go...

Who cared?

She pulled the trigger.



Click.


...Ha.

Haha...hahahaha...


"Hahahahahaha..."

She coughed. There was blood in her mouth, not coming from inside her, thank god- internal bleeding, that would be a bitch right now- but from her split lip and her possibly broken nose. Her mouth twitched into a smile despite the pain, probably because the pain was decreasing, and that wasn't comforting, that was terrifying, but she was too tired to really panic. So tired. That blackness was creeping over her eyes again.

"...Lucky."

The darkness covered her.


[[Hayley Kelly (mentally) continued in Friend is a Four Letter Word]]
Edited by Hollyquin, Jul 8 2011, 03:26 AM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mary-Ann felt faint. She looked at the other girl, Hayley. She pulled out a gun and pointed it at her. She was insane. She was a killer. If there was anyone on the entire island that she could kill and no one would find fault with her, it would be this girl.

She whimpered. The gun shook and rattled slightly in her hands.

No.

Hayley pulled the trigger and that same hollow click that Mary-Ann had heard when RJ was teaching her to use the gun sounded now. It was shallow and unsatisfying to the holder.

Hayley laughed. She was laughing at her. Marry-Ann wasn't even something to be taken seriously. She'd gotten lucky, get again. Mary-Ann stood perfectly still, mouth open, staring at Hayley's gun. The other girl collapsed right in front of her, laughing still.

She stared at her. She could shoot her. She could do it right now and no one would blame her and no one would know. The girl was a murderer many times over. But Mary-Ann bit her lip and lowered the gun. She couldn't shoot an unconscious girl, no matter how much she deserved it.

And then it came at her. It rushed her; flooded her so intensely. She was angry. Maybe she'd never been so angry in her whole life. All the other times, all the other people she'd been angry before now seemed to pale in comparison. Her fingertips filled up with it and she could feel in her eyes when she squeezed them shut. Mary-Ann held onto her gun so hard that the impression of the metallic parts was becoming a pattern on her skin.

Mary-Ann took the gun and swung it at a tree, chipping off the bark. She attacked the tree over and over, using the gun as her bludgeoning tool. Somewhere in her unnecessary attack she began to cry. She could feel the hot tears on her face, but did not stop. She stood straight up again and held her gun, arms locked and fired a bullet into the tree. She'd wasted a bullet.

Breathing hard, she collapsed into a ball on the floor. Mary-Ann held her head in her hands, pulling her hair slightly and screamed. She looked down at the forest floor through her hair and tears.

"I can't even shoot someone. She looked at me like I wasn't even worth the time it would take to cut my throat. Am I so worthless? I can't even protect myself. It should never have been me. I shouldn't have been the one to survive. I don't have what it takes to make it out. Why can't I do ANYTHING? Anything right."

She looked over at the girl, breathing steady and lying still.

"I can't shoot her. I'm not even strong enough to shoot a girl who's out cold."

She thought of RJ again. Would he even want her to take a shot at a collapsed girl? She didn't think he would.


Mary-Ann sighed deep. She rubbed her eyes and looked down at the other girl.

"Lucky..." she echoed back at her.

((Mary-Ann Warren continued in This Side of Paradise ))
things
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
[Huge surprise! Guess who came to save the day.]

[Hatful of Hollow --> Ema Ryan]

In spite of herself, hunger was perhaps the biggest thing on Ema's mind as she travelled. There was a convoluted thought process behind it all, one she constantly reminded herself of by simply having to remember why each contributing factor aligned in such a way that left her exhausted and hungry, and a little thirsty, too. Primarily, she feared to stop because, being covered in blood and all, anybody coming across her would probably react with as much panic as she had to cause said blood to get there in the first place, and do to her what she'd done to Sapphire and Maf. Now, she could wash that blood off, and do a more adequate job of cleaning off her sword whilst she was at it, but that would involve a major detour to either the north or south to find one of the nearest rivers. The thought was appealing, getting clean and non-terrifying, as well as how they were probably clean enough to fill her dwindling water supply from. But she had a mission, she was searching for Hayley, the last remotely normal thing left in her little world. Hayley Kelly, her first and presumably last love, her companion, her guardian. The reason she was still alive and more-or-less sane. In the event anything had happened to Hayley, Ema had no intention of arriving late to stop it.

But, on the very same point, she didn't want to miss her, by going too far too quickly, or simply not noticing obvious tracks or signs of recent conflict. So progress was slow regardless, with Ema weaving around, mostly randomly, hoping to find some sign of the girl, whilst watching her own back all the while, ensuring she wasn't headed for a similar fate to... must be about 230 of her peers, by now. It took a while for that number to sink in - though luckily, Ema had plenty of walking time to let it - the sheer magnitude of what that meant. When the first one, or two, or even ten had died, they'd all been quite a big deal. A person has died. Two people have died. Lots of people have died. But it had risen now to such an absurd number it was impossible to properly visualise, impossible to figure out how to feel. 230 wasn't a person, it was just a statistic by now. When it ultimately rose to 275, would it look that much bigger? What difference did a few more lives make? What difference do they make, so long as I get to be the one that lives?

It was late when Ema arrived at what immediately stuck out as her destination. Before she arrived, the now-familiar smell of gunpowder on the wind tipped her off, and following that cue, she soon found the trail of blood, thinning the further she went, leading to what she deduced must be its origin, where the wound had been inflicted; after all, whilst dry, it was still quite red and quite not-disturbed-by-wildlife, so the blood must be moderately fresh. And if nobody was at the end of it? She could just follow it the other way, find out where they'd stopped after leaving. Totally foolproof. I'm a genius. Not like they'll be jumpy or paranoid if they're still alive, definitely not. Yeah, get that gun ready love.

The blood ended in a small pool, where the wounded must have been for a few moments, paralysed by shock or knocked to the floor or something, before managing to flee and leave that handy red trail behind. But those thoughts were processed and shelved under "Unimportant" incredibly quickly, because a few metres away lay a small bundle of something that, despite being obviously Hayley, defied identification for several seconds. Because Hayley was immortal, she was the indestructible wall between Ema and certain death, she couldn't be laying beaten and bloodied on the ground, unconscious or deNo she's unconscious she isn't dead she can't be dead no no no no no don't be dead please don't be dead.

"Hayley!"

No response.

She was quick to drop her sword where she stood and rush to Hayley's side, careful, yet urgent, in rolling her over onto her side. The recovery position? Ema was pretty sure that was what it was, the position you're meant to put an unconscious casualty into as soon as possible, for first aid and all the good, non-deathy stuff. With her gun still in a vice-grip in her left hand, Ema felt for a pulse on the girl's neck, growing frantic as she didn't find it as instantly as she'd like. In a matter of seconds, which passed as though they were years, she confirmed that Hayley's heart was still beating, discomfortingly softly. Awake or not, it seemed all too weak. But she was alive, barely or not, that was the important part.

So, setting her daypack aside, Ema found an already-ruined shirt and tore off one of the few remaining clean sections, using it along with some water to clean the blood off of Hayley's face. She considered rinsing the blood from her mouth, too, but decided against it, afraid of choking her. Instead, she opted to wipe away as much of the dried blood on her on face as she could, which soon showed itself to be an effort in futility.

There was nothing left to do, really, except wait and hope for Hayley to wake up, and stick around until she either did, or... God forbid, the other option. So Ema sated her thirst with a swig of water, made short work of some of the remaining bread, and regretted not pilfering extra supplies from Maf's bag when she'd had the chance. She switched her handgun to her right hand, and, like many times before, she waited.
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.


Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Her eyelids fluttered open.

[[Hayley Kelly awakens after the events of Friend is a Four Letter Word]]


The darkness and the blue light, the light she'd followed to its apparent destination, remained clouding her vision for a few moments even as she regained consciousness. But the real light flooded in quickly enough, clearing out the remnants of her hallucination and replacing them with...just light at first. Too bright to make out anything else. Just light and...green? Congealing colors. Please don't be another fucking hallucination, I'm really getting sick of this bu- but no, the colors sharpened, gained definition, became leaves. Grass. Brown became trunks. She was in the forest, and for a moment she wondered why she wasn't looking at the sky.

On my...side? Yeah. But I didn't...did I move? I can't...how did I...gaah...

The pain, which had made itself scarce as she had lost consciousness, came flooding back now, quickly and shockingly enough to prevent her from moving, for fear of provoking it further. It hurt...it hurt everywhere, maybe not quite as badly as it had- her body had patched itself up a bit while she was out- but still worse than anything had ever hurt in her life. The center of it...it was hard to say. Maybe her face. Her nose. Definitely broken. Something else, too, lower down. Maybe a rib. She couldn't see it, but she could feel the blood. Sticky. Warm. Still flowing from her nose, at least. She breathed through her mouth. Shallow breaths. Each inhale and exhale hurt.

God fucking dammit...that fucking...fucking bitch...I'll...urgh-

She coughed, spluttering on blood. She thought she heard something crack, something in her torso, that rib, maybe. Falling further out of place. She looked upward for the first time, and saw something-

Her heart nearly stopped.

Orange.

Ema.

She'd found her. Who knew how, some kind of blessing, some amazingly good luck- thank God or Buddha or whoever had gotten their karmic debt's twisted- but Ema was here. And she was...safe. Somehow. It wasn't the gun in the other girl's hand (oh, fuck, Vera is clean out, almost forgot, shit...), it wasn't anything physical, anything literal, it was just...that feeling that she wasn't alone was enough to make all this bullshit worth it.

...Sort of. Probably would've been better if she hadn't wandered off at all. Whatever.

"Hey."

The word tasted bloody; actually, everything tasted bloody. Glad to be lying on her side, she spat out a globule of blood.

"Hey...hey, beautiful."

Dork.

Bite me.


She managed a small smile. It hurt.

"So...tell me, how awful do I look?"
Edited by Hollyquin, Jul 8 2011, 03:27 AM.
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Chib
Member Avatar
Oh my god you guys The Riz killed Cara what do!?
[ *  *  * ]
Heh, that one looks a bit like a Dalek... man they'd be unstoppable on this thing, unless they were the old ones... I miss non-flying Daleks...

Ema wasn't sure how long she'd been sitting there, looking over at Hayley every so often, waiting for some obvious signal that her condition had changed, whether that be for better or worse. For the first few minutes, she'd outright stared, willing the other girl to get better by sheer mental determination. But it didn't last long, Ema got bored easily at the best of times, and soon she was so restless that she spent the next how ever long it was pacing around, assuring herself it was a patrol, making sure they weren't being snuck up on by someone, maybe the original assailant back to finish what they'd started. But that hadn't lasted terribly long either, and in the end, she settled for leaning against a tree, watching clouds through a small gap in the leafy canopy. Every so often she'd catch sight of a whole individual one, and every so often one of them would actually look like something worth waiting to see. It was a simple pleasure, but it kept Ema content for the third leg of her vigil.

Eventually, she looked down from her Dalek-based observations, to find Hayley's eyes open. She almost didn't notice, to begin with. Being a good few feet away, it was hard to tell the whites of her eyes apart from the pale of her eyelids. But then the girl looked up at her, and Ema could certainly tell the difference between white skin and light brown iris - she'd looked into them enough times to recognise them, after all. Did that mean she was awake? Probably, Ema had never heard of people opening their eyes in the sleep, at least not at complete random, yeah, actually, she was pretty sure some people had a history of it, but it started off early, like in their chi-- Focus, woman. Neither the possible existence of sleeping-with-eyes-open-disorder nor the details of its assumed childhood onset were even remotely important at the moment, and Hayley was awake and not dead and thank fuck she isn't dead.

"Hey."

Ema hurried back to Hayley's side, kneeling close enough to be able to look her in the face and be seen in return comfortably. As if on cue, Hayley proceeded to spit out a mouthful of blood, landing a few inches from Ema's knees; typical Murphy's Law, the one time she doesn't get blood splattered on her is the time it's already there anyway. It probably would've landed right on her leg if she were wearing cleaner cloFOCUS. Ema extracted herself from daydreamy waiting around mode, and tried to pay attention to the now.

"Hey...hey, beautiful."

Oh yeah, being talked to, probably freaking her out by not answering, ought to do something about that. Wait... did she say 'beautiful'? Ema couldn't hold back the satisfied chuckle or grin, it felt nice. It'd been months since anyone had called her that. Cute, adorable, sweet, all the rest of them, they were standard fare, but even her parents had rarely thought to call her beautiful. That said, she didn't have anything much to say in response. Generic mirror response it was, then. "Hey."

"So...tell me, how awful do I look?"

"On a scale of one to Davros? Could be a lot worse. I mean, you can't even try to compare to how bloody I am right now."

And with that, she reached out and wiped away the renewed trail of blood streaming from Hayley's nose with the cuff of her coat, careful not to touch her actual nose too much. The was ruined any way, couldn't hurt to get a bit more blood on it, right? Besides, the thing was black, it wouldn't even notice once it dried, and she could wash the worst of it out next time they came across a river. More importantly, though, the question of the hour;

"What happened to you, anyway?"
Every time you fall asleep you die. Someone else wakes up in your body, thinking they're you.
You are alone and trapped in your own mind, the world around you is your lie.
Soon you will be nothing, you will never again hear sounds, never again see colours, never again be anyone.


Riley Moon appreciates that Action Needs an Audience, but it's hard not to watch. Hair Status: Bubblegum Pink
Parallel with: The Heavy Weapons Guy

The Past
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"On a scale of one to Davros? Could be a lot worse. I mean, you can't even try to compare to how bloody I am right now."

Heh. That was an internal sort of laugh, not the sort that actually came out of her mouth, because Hayley was extremely fond of not putting herself through unnecessary pain. That was a bit of a relief, though. If she looked anything like she felt, she looked like a bag of fleshy bits and blood, but apparently that wasn't the case. The second part, on the other hand, took her by surprise. Probably she was just in this mental state where everything was covered in blood, why question it? Because Ema was covered in blood, and she hadn't thought to question it until now, but unless it was all Hayley's own blood (which she doubted, she wasn't sure she had that much blood in her body) something had happened worth asking questions about.

Not that Ema seemed to be opening herself up for questioning. She used her sleeve to wipe some blood off of Hayley's face, an effort she would've appreciated more if it didn't send another shockwave of pain shooting through her nose. Bluh. She held back any real reaction out of gratefulness for Ema's kindness. Her next question was entirely expected.

"What happened to you, anyway?"

"I found myself tied up on the tracks right before the Bitchmobile came rolling through. Hit me hard. But I...uh...shot it?"

why do I try to make analogies for things too much effort

"...I don't know who she was. The girl. Seemed like she had some vendetta against me or whatever. But I doubt she made it far with a couple of bullets in her. ...There was some other girl, I didn't see what happened to her before I blacked out. Ran out of bullets. Just a bad break, I guess. Now..."

Her hand twitched as she forced her arm upwards. The action hurt, but not as much as she expected.

"First, I need you to help me up. Then we're gonna get our stuff, and you're going to tell me what happened to you."

being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Woods: Inland · Next Topic »
Add Reply