Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Poll Only
Should characters of people no longer around be made available?
Yes 10 (35.7%)
No 16 (57.1%)
Third option (Specify) 2 (7.1%)
Total Votes: 28
Second Chances: Poll
Topic Started: Jun 22 2011, 07:40 AM (757 Views)
Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay so a fair few people have expressed interest in handling characters that belong to handlers that are now no longer around and whilst I have been hesitant to allow this because of potential issues with intellectual property (I am overthinking this, I know), the interest has been such that I have been considering allowing it.

* This would be with the condition that if the handler of the character is still around, you MUST ask them! If they're available to ask for permission, then you have no excuse not asking.

* Past characters will still be expected to conform to V4 standards of writing and approval, meaning you will likely have to edit profiles circa v1 substantially.

* There will be a disclaimer attributing credit to the original handler, to be put on any profile that has a character not your own.

Sound good? Here's a poll. Feel free to add suggestions or comments below.
Edited by Namira, Jul 1 2011, 06:19 AM.
Posted Image
SotF: Mini - SCdoes a-rolling! - PV3 Prologue ongoing!
Draw Thread! - Pathfinder! - Writing Thread!

Adequate summary of my personality
V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Goto Top

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm not totally against this, because yeah, I think "intellectual property" is over-thinking it juuuust a bit lol. I do have some issues tho:

I. First of all, it's just a general respect thing. There are only two handlers that I know of who can't return to the board. For the rest, there's always a chance they'll return, & we have hand former handlers from as far back as v1 dropping in on occasion. How would they feel if they returned & saw their characters being reused without permission? I know, personally, I'd be a little freaked out. & honestly, I'm not comfortable with staff handing out permission for characters that aren't theirs*

II. There's already a precedent in the main game that characters by different handlers can't be submitted without their permission. See here (& I feel like there's also a more recent example, but I can't remember who). Doesn't this totally go against that policy?

III. Since this'll either erase the "ask permission" step or force people to ask you/other staff for permission on these characters, you'll probably end up with a lot of handlers vying for a handful of the old big names. I can see that becoming extremely messy very easily

IV. In the same vein, & this one really depends on the tone you're going for anyway, but you know you're going to have people going for the Blood Boys and other off-the-wall characters. Are you going to allow these guys in if they're up to standard, even if the concepts themselves are still totally batshit? Are you going to have a blacklist of banned characters? How are you going to keep that fair?

V. And finally: it's required that you ask active handlers for permission before using their characters. Why aren't we extending that same protection to absent handlers simply because they're not here?

Basically, I see this causing way more trouble than it's worth, & I really don't like the idea of staff (or anyone else) handing out permission for other people's work without their consent. That kind of crosses a line for me, personally

*& yes, I am aware that this is what inactive adoptions amount to, but that's something we all agree to when we sign up for a game. It shouldn't be applicable outside those versions
Offline Profile Goto Top

Slam
Member Avatar
Mr. Danya
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I am firmly in the 'no' territory simply because without being able to ask them we can't be sure if they'd want their characters played or not. Loads of people have denied their characters as up for grabs in the interest thread and I doubt its very fair to deny this same thing of sole ownership of their character's exploits if they wouldn't want their characters written by someone else just because they've moved away from the site.
V7 Freunde
Hey look I have a relationship thread

Lucas Brady - Believing in the Heart of the Cards - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

V6 Amigos - Spoilers!

Die Slam's Art, Die
Offline Profile Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oke kokey, you have some really goos points here so I'll do my best to respond to them.

I. Whilst I do doubt that we'll see some of the people from the back end of V1 come back (and those few returnees have seemingly always been only in the short term), so far as respect goes, that's a matter for the RPers themselves - if the characters are being written well and with understanding of the original material, then that, to me, is respect. I am perhaps a little more laissez-faire about this, but for one thing a lot of these characters are long dead and long untouched in terms of use, and I think that most people would understand that, being reasonable - how could they be sought out for permission when they've left the site years ago?

II. The distinction between that and this is that Benson never even made it into the main game and the leaving handler (Doom Noggin) didn't participate in SOTF. That kind of puts him in a different category - all the approved characters are, for better or worse, part of the site canon.

III. It's simple enough to set up for a procedure for when more than one person would like to write the same character - whether that's first come, first served or evaluating writing samples and so on and so forth.

IV. If they can kick a concept up to V4 standards, then I'd certainly consider it, even if it was a Blood Boy or a Cillian Crowe etc etc. The only characters likely to be forbidden are winners and possibly the last couple of runners up.

V. Because the best we can do for people that aren't here is to fully credit them if it's to be allowed. If they are here, then it's very rude not to ask. The etiquette strikes me as different from someone who's years gone from the site.

Probably far from perfect responses, but I was trying to address your concerns/points.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Goto Top

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm far from convinced, but thank you for addressing everything <3 I'll try to put my thoughts together a little more eloquently later today
Offline Profile Goto Top

xylophonefairy
Member Avatar
gubernaculum
[ *  *  * ]
I voted no, purely because if I were to disappear and came back to find someone playing one of my characters, I'd be pretty pissed. Honoured, of course, but annoyed that I wasn't asked.
the world is on my side
i have no reason to run

v4 nostalgia

shiny shiny V5 concepts (now with clickies)
Phoebe Cho - I shall be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Wizard!
Harry Hanley - I've got Hershey's at half price today! Get 'em quick before I have rehearsal!
Lor Van Diepen - I'm gonna make a video later. About running. Does that sum me up enough?
Offline Profile Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I voted no purely because I think the game would be more interesting if it represented the handlers who are still around, rather than a mishmashed "best of" with all the big names from past versions.

That said, if it is allowed, I vote all subsequent Second Chances games not be allowed to have repeat characters, so that we still get a fair/wide distribution.
V7:
Juliette Sargent drawn by Mimi and Ryuki
Alton Gerow drawn by Mimi
Lavender Ripley drawn by Mimi
Phillip Olivares drawn by Ryuki
Library Vee
Misty Browder drawn by Ryuki
Offline Profile Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bump, consensus seems to be that it's a no go, which I'm fine with, since it was my original intention.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Goto Top

Namira
Member Avatar
Null sheen.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Locking, thanks for your input.
Posted Image

V6 Corner
V5 Kiddies
V4
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Advertisement Archive · Next Topic »
Poll Only