Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Scrolling Quote Suggestion Thread
Topic Started: May 31 2011, 11:45 PM (3,430 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, hi, everyone! I'm sure you have noticed that the scrolling quote has returned, on both skins now. We're going to be trying to keep it a bit more updated than in the past, too, hopefully changing every couple of weeks-month.

As such, we're going to need a good selection of quotes to pick from.

We tried a poll back before the site switch (dunno if anyone remembers that), and it was okay, but very slow. Since we're going for speed and immediacy, we're going to do it a bit different this time.

So, basically how this works is, we're taking suggestions for scrolling quotes. Ideally, they shouldn't be too long, and should capture the spirit of the site or crucial events in some facet, or just be really really good quotes. We're not going to have voting on these; rather, the staff is going to pick from the suggestions or others we find. It's less democratic, but it's a whole lot quicker and easier, and ensures that our quotes are actually pretty current.

One last thing: when you suggest a quote, please make sure to link the thread it comes from. This is a chance to informally highlight and shout out to some of our great writers and characters, and I'm sure a bunch of people will be interested in the scenes these quotes come from.

Also, please do not nominate yourself.

Repeat nominations are pointless, since this is not a voting thing.

Finally, there's no way we're going to get anywhere close to hitting all of these, especially as they become less current due to game progress, so I want to reiterate that the secondary purpose of this thread is to give shout outs to cool lines and characters.

Since this is not a critique thread, no bashing of others' choices.

Now, have at!

EDIT: Keeping a list of past quotes for posterity, just in case anyone is interested.

Past Quotes
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Solomir
Member Avatar
Nanotech Engineer
[ *  *  *  * ]
Does it have to be from a character still present/alive on the island? Or are the deceased and escaped also fair game for quote mining?
V5

B036: Benjamin Ward: "Sh-shut the fuck up. Or I'll k-kick your ass."
B047: Marcus Leung: "Let's start by staying calm."

V4

Rest in peace

B004 - Peter Siu: "We're all fuck-ups."
G006 - Tiffany Baker: "Will you stay with me, until I wake up?"
G027 - Marybeth Witherspoon: "The cameras are pointing here, not there."
B115 - Tony Russo: "I'm sorry...."
G087 - Rachel Gettys: "I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell."

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They're fair, though we're trying to keep quotes fairly recent (last 1-2 months at most, preference to the last month or less).
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In response to a couple questions:

-Just dialogue, please. We'll have plenty with that alone.

-Submit as many nominations as you want! Just link all the threads, please.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Deleted User
Deleted User

"And then Danya was a zombie."
Quote Post Goto Top

Acidic
Member Avatar
Stuff Happened!
[ *  *  * ]
YOU WIN THIS TIME GRAVITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY-

-YYYYYYYYYYY

-Richard Han
Lars Nylund "Shit, I was here for something."
Shopping -> Shooting
Edith West "Who the hell is editing my posts?"
Flirting
Caleb Matthews "Don't worry, Bro. We're still cool."
Refereeing

Sig'd

A journey of a thousand miles ends with one,
"Fuck this, lets play video games."

-------------------------------------

I will always welcome constructive criticism through PMs.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Gravity quote's pretty awesome, but not quite recent enough to go with here.

This is still open for nominations. We're going to try to change it up at about the same time as announcements/midmonths (every couple weeks or so).
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

"I'm fine. And I made it here all alone with no help from anyone. Can you say the same? Can you survive all on your own?" - Autumn O'Leary in I Was a Teenage Hand Model

"There is something disgusting about this island--if you're not killing, if you're not dying, you're simply being. Waiting. Hoping it will all be over soon. I don't want to be that purposeless." - Alice Boucher in Vitriol

"I'd rather not have any regrets. I'd rather not have ditched my friends and lost my purpose and failed on every level, even if it lets me go on existing. But, hey, that's just me. We've all gotta live with our choices." Kimberly Nguyen in Dead Girls

nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
since this has been dead for nearly a month anyway, i'm throwing in one more:

“Biggest monster dies at the end of the book.” - Julian Avery in You Already Know How This Ends

probably a harder sell without the earlier lines as context, but it felt a little long throwing everything in & i think the meaning's implied pretty well.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Updated! Still taking suggestions.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

T-Fox
Member Avatar
N-Nopony! Ah was talkin' to nopony whatsoever!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"God will protect his own." - Rachel Gettys in Bloodgarden

"I had to do something. So I just did it, you know?" - Tabitha Gweneth in Feel a Fear
Coming soon to a deathmatch near you:
Garry Brooks - Swave Countryboy
Jade Aurora - Tomboy Drummer
Jasmine Tolle - Pacifistiic Artist

Memories of those past:
Spoiler: click to toggle

What is wrong with you people?!
Spoiler: click to toggle

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bump because we're nearing quote change time again.

I like your suggestions, T-Fox, except for two little things:

I'm trying to focus on non-staff members for the quotes, since staff kinda get a lot of attention as is, so I'm going to try to avoid featuring any staff characters unless its absolutely unavoidable (like, if whoever wins has a particularly good quote and happens to be a staffer's character or something.

The issue with Rachel's quote is that, absent extenuating context, could give newcomers a rather inaccurate view of the site's purpose/focus. I guess I'm trying to find quotes that are not only cool but do a good job of capturing the overall essence of SOTF, since they are often what new members see first. Oh, and also that are not by staffers.

So, yeah, sorry for the ramble here. Just wanted to give an explanation so it didn't look like I was ignoring your suggestions.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Acidic
Member Avatar
Stuff Happened!
[ *  *  * ]
"Fucking stop it Teo! You can't judge me- I WORKED HARD! I worked hard and I earned my spot."

- Jimmy Brennan in The Theory of Competition

(I didn't put the whole quote because it's probably not what we want people to see off the bat)
Lars Nylund "Shit, I was here for something."
Shopping -> Shooting
Edith West "Who the hell is editing my posts?"
Flirting
Caleb Matthews "Don't worry, Bro. We're still cool."
Refereeing

Sig'd

A journey of a thousand miles ends with one,
"Fuck this, lets play video games."

-------------------------------------

I will always welcome constructive criticism through PMs.

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fell behind and decided to grab something really current to make up for it/buffer future stuff. Apologies for missing a month on changing this up.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley

Flare
Member Avatar
*insert dance song here*
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"You know what? Maybe I am a bad person. But fuck these guys, I want to live." - Ema Ryan, Dead-End Scenario
V5 Characters:

Jack McDonald is a SELF-INSERT YAY.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply