Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A Slight Change of Plans; See Midmonths
Topic Started: May 18 2011, 06:37 PM (5,634 Views)
Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
[[Garrett Hunter continued from I Am Jack's Inflamed Sense of Rejection]]

It was two long fucking days. Especially considering he had to spend the entire time with fucking Jeremy Franco.

They'd gotten off that mountain, far away from the tunnels and the bodies and the stench of death. Except they didn't, not really- away from the tunnels, yes, but there were bodies everywhere, to the point where he had to watch his step. He held his breath to ward off the smell that pervaded the island, ruining his appetite, though he occasionally forced a cracker down his throat. He walked as fast as his gimpy leg would take him, trying to get himself somewhere where he could breath normally again, where he wouldn't be constantly reminded of exactly how many people had died here. How many people kept dying, how many people would keep dying as long as these games went on. It was a futile effort. It was hard enough not tripping over the fucking things. Part of him remembered that these were his classmates, these were people and as much as he'd hated most of them they hadn't deserved this. The rest of him was just irritated. How the hell was he supposed to pick the broken pieces of revolution back up if he could hardly walk?

...How was he supposed to pull the revolution together, anyway? In all honesty, Garrett had no idea what he was doing. Liz had been the brains of their effort, for the little time it was an assembled effort and not one girl getting shit done on her own- something he was still sore about. What had she done, anyway? Broken some cameras...done some shit with uh transceivers or something Garrett really hadn't paid much attention to the technical details of the whole tunnels deal. Garrett could break cameras, but how far would that get him? As far as he could tell it had mostly gotten people's collars blown, not to mention Garrett himself still had his collar and could be popped off at any time. Which didn't really make him feel any more optimistic about this.

He had to do something, but what? Storming the compound was suicidal, he'd be dead before he even got near it. Breaking more cameras would be stupid. He couldn't do all this technical shit Liz did. All he could think of to do was go back and find the death squad, but that would be suicide too, considering that their weapons were a goddamn sword-cane (which might be dangerous in the hands of a non-idiot), a goddamn axe (which might be dangerous in the hands of a non-fat chick) and his fucking netgun, which was so completely stupid that he honestly wondered why he'd been given it to begin with. What could he have done, if he'd actually had to stand in fight?

For a little while, Garrett was able to remain hopeful. Maybe Liz and Belle were alive- maybe they'd killed the death squad, somehow. Maybe that's why there wasn't a squadron breathing down their necks right now; it was the only good reason he could think of for why they were allowed to remain alive while openly planning rebellion. So they, the three of them, this little ragtag group of nothing in particular, they just wandered for a while. Occasionally Jeremy or Fiona would ask where they were going, what they were gonna do, and Garrett said- they were waiting. As much as he loathed the analogy, he felt like a soldier without orders. Doomed to wander until he got some damn orders or until the enemy shot him down. For once in his life he had to admit- he wasn't fit to lead. He couldn't punch his way out of this. He needed Liz.

Fuck. I am SHIT at this. Absolute shit. What did I think I could do? If I'd never run into Belle and ended up with Liz and them, I would've just run around doing nothing all fucking game. What is there to do?

Wait. They waited. They waited all day. Slept at night, and woke up to the news that Liz Polanski was, in fact, dead.

So there was that.

They wandered some more. Belle was still alive, somehow, or at least her death wasn't announced, so he held on to the slightest ounce of positivity. Maybe Liz couldn't help them anymore, but Belle was smart, she could figure something out, maybe. He hated this helplessness but he admitted they needed help, especially when he turned around to call for Fiona and found she wasn't there. They'd gotten separated in the trees somewhere and now it was just him and Jeremy goddamn Franco who still wasn't good at shutting up and who Garrett still honestly wanted to introduce to his fist. With Fiona gone, they could talk about the whole tunnel fiasco openly, but he didn't bother. That would involve Jeremy talking more, and besides, what was there to say? That the death squad was probably after them now? Maybe. That Belle might still be alive? It was so unlikely that Garrett tried not to think about it. That this entire thing was pointless, and that they were both probably better off going their own ways, trying to live this out...?

I'm a fucking idiot. It's useless. It's all useless. I should just send him off, stop dealing with him, let him try to live through this shit...all I'm doing is putting us both in danger. But...but...

But he couldn't give up. He just couldn't. Not even when another day passed, another announcement went by, and he heard the name Mirabelle Nesa. So she was dead, too. Not a surprise, but it didn't exactly lift his spirits. But somehow he couldn't find the heart to send Jeremy elsewhere, to give up, to say out loud- "okay, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, let's give up." There had to be something. Maybe someone trying to do the same thing as them. Maybe that's all he needed to do, was find them. They had to exist, somewhere. As much as Garrett didn't want to think about spending time with more fucking people, the thought was enough to keep him with his head slightly off the ground. He was exhausted, his leg hurt worse than ever, but he knew what he had to do, now. And he'd do it, Jeremy Franco babbling in his ear or not.

They stumbled down the beach- or rather, Jeremy walked. Garrett stumbled. It was hard, getting his footing properly on this sand, and more than once he fell, pulling himself up, refusing Franco's help. Just a little further was the thought he clung to. A little further to what was irrelevant. Just, as long as there was a destination in mind, as long as he could pretend there was a goal, he could-

Boat.

There was a boat.

Garrett jumped, very nearly collapsing on his bum leg before automatically getting into a fighting stance. Then realizing that his fighting stance would be useless against a boat- or any of the doubtlessly weapon-carrying terrorists that were on it- and raised his weapon instead. Then he remembered that his weapon was a fucking net gun and settled for looking alert, watching the damn thing. No one was getting off of it. No one was shooting him. It was a ways down the beach still, but the fact he didn't hear gunshots was kind of reassuring. He didn't bother running, though it crossed his mind. His leg would give up on him before he got the chance.

He did, however, hear a voice. It was hard to miss.

"Good morning, death island."

That's fucking cheery.

"We're here with your friendly taxi service, offering an all-expenses-paid trip back to the good ol' USA for all of you non-murderous sorts out there. Killers, players, and cannibals welcome too, for the bullet-in-the-head special, if you want the easy way out of this."

He felt his leg wobble. It was hard enough standing when he wasn't having his every thought about the future shattered.

"But wait! There's more. Come now, and you get to give Mr. Danya a nice big 'Fuck you', plus you get a free Happy Meal when we hit shore. This is a limited time offer, though, so you better move fast, 'cause the seats on this boat are hot, and once they're gone, they're gone. Oh, and if I find out you murdered someone on your way here but weren't on my happy little list of sociopaths, I swear I'll put a bullet straight through your skull."

Garrett just stared blankly at the boat, trying to process what was happening. They weren't terrorists. This wasn't another death squad. This was the exact opposite of a death squad. This was a rescue team. How that was even possible...it was impossible to comprehend while he tried to think of something suitable to say. He looked at Jeremy, looked back at the boat, and said the most suitable thing he could think of.

"Holy fuck."
being meguca is suffering

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...
[x] Chitose Saionji [G???] // 公園に千歳は本を読む!

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
A friendly clown welcomes you to LOCAH. It seems he would like to be your guide.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Garrett watched the boat. Automatically overcautious even though as far as he could tell, it was real. Not a trick. Why the fuck would Danya fake something like this? Killing kids off wasn't part of his plan, he wanted to see a bunch of teenagers go to shit and kill each other- well, the guy had said only non-players allowed, maybe they were just trying to round up all the boring kids, drown them out at sea, or just shoot up the cabins when they all seemed good and safe...or maybe they'd sent this boat just for him, and Franco, and Fiona had she been here. Maybe they'd thought, let's lure the rebels into a goddamn trap, make 'em think they're safe, kill 'em all...

But that wasn't it. He was a paranoid fuck, yes, okay, Survival of the Fittest would do that to a kid or a man, even. But even he realised- this was too good to be true, but it still was. If Danya wanted him dead, well, he had a fucking death squad for that, they'd done a good enough job on Belle and Liz, hadn't they? What did he need a fake-savior-boat for? He didn't. This was the beautiful thing. This boat wasn't a trap. This boat was the result. Liz and Belle and whoever else had been fucking with the system- they brought this boat here.

The revolution was complete, and he hadn't even gotten a goddamn foot in the door.

Franco was jumpy. Like he had something to hide, even. What it was, Garrett didn't know and Garrett didn't care- Jeremy hadn't killed anyone, he knew that much. So, unless Franco had been pulling some major sketchy shit behind Garrett's back, he was getting right on that boat, off to his Happy Meal or whatever the fuck it was the guy had said. But when he spoke, when Jeremy spoke, he was still jumpy and he seemed almost- was that right? Wait, did he really, honestly think there was any chance Garrett wasn't getting on the fucking boat? Okay, sure, revolution, it was over. There was no better outcome. Everyone who mattered was going to get off the island. That was, everyone who wasn't already dead.

The killers could go get fucked, far as he could tell.

But dammit, Franco. So like him. When the going gets tough, the whiny pricks get going.

"Jeremy Franco."

Oh my god saying this out loud felt so fucking good.

"You are a fucking idiot, you know that? Jesus, this is what Liz and Belle were fighting for. This is what we wanted. This was the best possible fucking outcome. Couldn't have asked for more. What the hell else could I do if I stayed? I'd bet money that if there are boats out here, there's a whole team up in the compound keeping the rest of Team Terrorist Asshole busy. So we kind of missed the boat- I mean, not literally, but...you know what I mean. Revolution, done. Time to get the fuck out of Dodge."

Okay so maybe calling him a fucking idiot wasn't necessary. They were pretty much in agreement. But after the last few days, now that the end of dealing with this fucking kid was in sight, he kind of had to.

Garrett started moving at top speed, and it hurt like a bitch, but there was a boat right there, and it wanted him in the worst way. Besides, he wasn't about to let Franco beat him in a foot race, even if he was crippled. Fuck it. But soon enough, both of them stood by the boat, looking up at the big man and his big gun, and Franco probably wanted to talk but whatever, Garrett cut over him.

"Garrett Hunter. This is Jeremy Franco. We're not on your fuckin' list, but feel free to check if you want. And..."

So he'd been thinking. So the revolution was over? Not quite. The revolution was on their shores, yes, but there was still the compound being stormed. There was still getting these boats out of here unscathed. There was still getting home. It'd be so easy to just relax and think oh, right, going home now, all's well, game over, but it'd be just as easy to die before he got there. Besides, he was still bitter. Bitter that he'd done absolutely shit all.

He had to rectify that, or he'd never live it down.

"...I don't know about Franco here, but if there's anything I can do...anywhere I can fight, send me there. I want to help."

Garrett Hunter was not taking no for an answer. This was his moment. Please, let this be his moment, because he wasn't getting another.
Edited by Hollyquin, May 23 2011, 10:37 AM.

[V5] ALIVE:
[x] Aidan Flynn [B???] // Passing slowly though the vector, damp with fog, the bog that grows the former business sector...

[V5] CONCEPTS:
Winston Evans aced the last English test and would like to point out how gorgeous your shoes are.

Those Who've Known - V4

Hollyquin
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"I think I can probably find somewhere to put you to work."

This was the important bit. This was the crucial bit.

Garrett Hunter was going to fuck some shit up.

Unless this guy meant work, like, steering the boat or some shit. But it couldn't mean that, that would be stupid, obviously they had a guy steering the boat, people swabbing the deck or whatever, that hardly qualified as helping, and Garrett had said fight, hadn't he? Yeah, he had, and this guy would've rejected him outright if that wasn't what he meant by help. Yeah, okay, overthinking time was over- the question was, what could he do? Where? With what? It wasn't as though he had a weapon that wasn't a fucking net gun which honestly didn't deserve a word as badass as "weapon" to describe it. Were they gonna give him a gun? Not that he gave a shit either way. Guns weren't his style.

Though if you're gonna be off fighting terrorists, you've gotta fuckin' make guns your style.

...Jesus, "off fighting terrorists", sounds like some Counter-Strike shit.

"What's your load out?"

It took a moment for Garrett to figure out what the hell he was talking about. "I haven't got shit, really. I have this bullshit net gun-" he held it up- "which I'm gonna go ahead and guess isn't worth shit against terrorists. Or anyone else on this island. I mean...if Maxwell Lombardi comes running down this beach and you need someone to beat the shit out the limey bastard, I'm all over it." He grinned. Couldn't help it. The prospect of a real fight cheered him up, as did the prospect of beating Lombardi's head in. "Except that he's probably got a gun, so probably not, but hell, a guy can dream."

He handed in the net gun. Honestly, he liked this guy already. He could tell from the look in his eye that he was itching for a fight just as badly as Garrett himself. As he stepped up into the boat he turned around for a long look at this godforsaken place. He'd lost things here, of course, but he'd found them. He'd found he didn't hate Belle, he'd found there were girls worth fighting with, he'd found there was really shit worth fighting for. Fighting for the sake of fighting was one thing. Fighting for the sake of starting trouble was pretty much the same. But fighting to save people- that was some superhero shit, wasn't it? That was real. That meant something.

God, what had he been wasting his whole life on?

"I'm ready." Garrett looked away from the island. That was the past, now. His immediate future was gonna be a bloodbath, but it was gonna be a hell of a lot of fun.

Liz had started this revolution.

Garrett was going to end it.

B138, GARRETT HUNTER: ELIMINATED

[V5] ALIVE:

[V5] CONCEPTS:

Those Who've Known - V4

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Beach: East · Next Topic »
Add Reply