Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,707 Views)
Aphex_Nobody
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
OK, newbie here, with three character ideas for V5... here goes with the first one:

Isaac "Zack" Spinks
"What I wouldn't give for a bottle or six of Crown right now..."

Isaac comes across as apathetic to a lot of his classmates, largely because he can afford to be; he comes from money, and as such is afflicted with the ennui of those from new wealth. He doesn't really need to do well at school because his dad's credit card will take care of him for the next hundred years or so - probably a good thing, what with the fact that Zack has been developing quite the alcohol problem over the last few terms. It started out as an attempt to get himself noticed by poppa moneybags, who has far more love for columns of figures than his own flesh and blood, hanging out in dive bars that didn't really care he was three years under the legal age as long as his money kept coming. His mother, addicted as she is to downers, barely notices him at all these days anyway.
Zack would be good looking if he paid a bit more attention to his personal appearance, but that air of dishevilment could be seen as attractive in some quarters; a little over average height, with a slim build, dark hair and good cheekbones that usually look about two days shy of his last shave.
Whilst not unpopular, Zack doesn't really have any truly 'close' friends - he often feels like people only want to hang out with him because he has access to a lot of cash - that being said he's friendly enough, even if he does have a tendency to deliberately fade into the background a little so that the fact he makes a bare minimum of effort to get by in school goes largely unremarked on.
He's recently taken to wearing an extremely expensive (and non-metallic) ankle flask around, usually containing cheap bourbon. He could buy more expensive booze, but he prefers to "slum it"... and because he associates more expensive liquor with his rather distant father.

Outwardly, Zack is friendly if a little distant. He can sometimes come across as insensitive to those less financially fortunate than him, however, because he's never had to deal with not having access to a lot of cash nearly instantly and so hasn't really had to learn how to 'live in the real world' so to speak.

---

Comments/suggestions?
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.

Currently planning to have bad things happen to:

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aphex_Nobody
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Laurelena
Nov 14 2011, 07:18 PM
Well, looking over Isaac, I have two notable reactions:

1. You seem to have him defined a lot based on his drinking problem. While having a vice is good, you might need to have him associated more with other interests. As you can see above, I had issues because one of my characters was heavily defined by her disability, so I had to expand upon her personality. We understand that Isaac has a drinking problem, is rich, and is pretty apathetic towards most of his classmates. What are some of his hobbies? Is he involved in any clubs? How does he tend to behave in school? Is he doing well academically? Does he have a future planned? Questions like that are things you need to use to look at your character.

2. I can see Isaac as being possibly involved with one of my characters, Laura. She's rich, and so he might hang out with her. If you want Isaac to be involved in a personal storyline with Laura, PM me. I will discuss the details with you, and if you agree to it, we can plan it around the game. Secrecy demanded.

Still, this is a neat start, and hopefully we get some interesting characters and tales out of you. Welcome to the site.
My intent is actually to have Isaac's drinking issues be something that bubble under the surface, rather than define him (though if he lasts for a fair amount of time they could take more centre-stage). It was an interesting 'hook' I came up with and hung the rest of the character around - I wasn't intending for it to come across as a defining character trait, more a source of conflict (both internal and possibly external).

As to hobbies... they don't tend to stick. He has too much money to really devote himself to any one thing; as soon as some shiny new interest rears its head he devotes himself avidly to it for a month or two then loses interest. This could be illustrated pretty well in the pre-game - he could get interested in something, meet some new people, then lose interest and sort of drift away a bit; that should help show his rather apathetic outlook on life; he has so much money, it actually doesn't really matter what he does - his drinking is a subtle nudge down a road of self-destruction brought about by a complete lack of challenge or conflict in his life, and as a result of the apathetic way he's treated by his family.

Clubs fit into hobbies really, he probably joined several, went to a few meetings then lost interest. Particularly if he felt that he was being seen as a financial "backer" for the club (either because he was being seen at least a bit like that, or he just suddenly got a bit paranoid about it).

Academically, he coasts. He'll probably go to a decent college because his dad will insist on it, and stump up the capital to make sure it happens. He'd get better grades if he actually applied himself (he's actually pretty smart), but he just doesn't see the point. Every possible "challenge" in his life so far has been solved by tossing bales of cash at it - being on the island is going to REALLY take him out of his 'comfort zone'. His future is pretty nebulous, beyond that. He'd probably never need to work, really, and probably won't bother; in fact, were it not for being thrust into the game, he'd probably end up drinking himself to an early grave out of sheer lethargic boredom; if he didn't develop a crippling drug habit first.

His biggest problem, really, is that he's generally horribly unmotivated - because he's never actually had to be motivated to do anything. He can have practically anything he wants without effort; as such, he's kind of insulated from the realities of the world and pretty naive in an odd sort of way.

Aphex_Nobody
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Xaldien
Nov 21 2011, 11:09 AM
Bernadette Bartrand: 16 year old theater geek. Welsh parents who brought her to the US late, so she has an accent. Dancing, and ballet keep her in shape, but she's still incredibly lazy sometimes, so she's not AS fit as she should be. Has a general, all purpose loathing of most people, but still attempts to be friendly with people. Her social awkwardness and inept social abilities leave her on neutral ground with most everyone.
All seem pretty good to me, but one thing I noticed (as someone who grew up in Wales); "Bernadette Bartrand" is one of the least Welsh-sounding names I've ever heard. :-/

I'd be happy to suggest some more Welsh-sounding names, if you like...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply