Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,694 Views)
Cash Money
Member Avatar
Come on and slam
[ *  * ]
Hey, I'm new, and I have a couple of character ideas I'd like to share.

Randall Cimora - He's an avid musician with dreams of being a visionary producer. He's 6' tall, though he doesn't look like it due to a slight slouch, and 165 lbs, in average shape. His easygoing attitude, slouch, long hair, and baggy clothes lend themselves to a very casual presentation, which is only increased by the slight southern accent he picked up growing up in Texas. He listens to a lot of music, and is very knowledgeable about various bands, instruments, and production techniques. (My avatar is currently the cover of My Bloody Valentine's album Loveless because I envision him wearing their T-shirt when he's abducted.) Despite this, he's not very good at actually playing instruments. He prefers to keep a close circle of friends with whom he's quite gregarious, but he tends to be shy around strangers. His attitude is very much "different strokes for different folks."

Advantages: Agile from playing tennis, has practiced shooting targets with paintball and BB guns at his uncle's farm
Disadvantages: Shy around strangers, head is often in the clouds, not very strong

Milo Richter - He's a smart kid with too much energy. He's rather short at 5'7", which he's slightly sore about, and is a little bit out of shape at 155 lbs. He spends a lot of his time studying, and can be somewhat of a perfectionist, focused on getting straight As. He plans on going into business, and likes his science classes most of all. He puts a lot of stock into appearance and first impressions, so he likes to wear nice button down shirts, slacks, and a short haircut, and when meeting people, he has a tendency to give them the used car salesman treatment. Despite his sometimes overbearing presence, he's fundamentally nice, though he occasionally calls it like he sees it at the worst times. The only chink in his professional persona is his nervous energy; as soon as he stops tapping his foot, he starts tapping his fingers, and when he stops that he starts twirling his pen.

Advantages: Very good at making friends, can be manipulative with his network if he needs to be, very book smart
Disadvantages: Not a fan of physical activity and as such is out of shape, lacks some common sense, can be bad at keeping friends

Suggestions?

Aleron - your characters look very interesting. The idea of having a character who naively wants to interview Danya in particular has a lot of potential. I just have one issue: making your cinemaphile's name Quentin T. is rather unbelievable. There's some cautions against making your name too meaningful on the "New Handler's Guide" and elsewhere, and I wonder if he doesn't fall on the wrong side.
Edited by Cash Money, Aug 27 2011, 02:50 AM.
V5 concepts:
Randall Cimora: aspiring music producer, easygoing, space cadet, new kid
     Currently blowing his Christmas money in Life is like a broken record
Leah Chapel: classic teenage rebel, sneaky, pessimistic, the un-favorite
     Re-upping in LSMFT
Milo Richter: consummate professional, intellectual, debater, self-conscious
     Convincing someone of what they already believe in Variables...

Lovely pics

In other news...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cash Money
Member Avatar
Come on and slam
[ *  * ]
I have a character concept I'm working on, but there are a couple of issues I'd like help with.

Leah Chapel has had it kinda rough growing up, partially because of parents who blatantly played favorites with her older sister, but also due to the family's lack of money and her rebellious nature which tended to create conflict with her parents. She fell in with a rebellious crowd, and generally did poorly in school while staying out late and adopting a rebellious persona. Then [part I need help with] happened and she started to bring herself around to the other side of the spectrum. She has joined several extracurriculars and has started to improve her schoolwork, and she is now in with the popular crowd to some extent. She still has a bit of an anticonformist nature, though, and "the new her" comes into conflict with it quite frequently.

Two questions:

1. What would need to happen in order for this rebellious girl to start to work towards more "acceptable" goals? The ideas I have at the moment involve either a) getting a stern talking to from her parents (that actually has an impact for once because of some event that precipitated it), b) figuring she'd at least get herself a decent education so she can then have enough money to nonconform as much as she wants (which is a pretty flimsy idea if you ask me), or c) some kind of horrific incident that scares her straight (and which I'm not sure would be realistic or something I'd be capable of pulling off).

2. What's a realistic timeline for this chain of events? Specifically the time she starts to get in with a rebellious crowd, and the time she starts acting more like a proper young lady?

Bonus question: Any other ideas?
V5 concepts:
     Re-upping in LSMFT

Lovely pics

In other news...

Cash Money
Member Avatar
Come on and slam
[ *  * ]
I think that idea has some potential. As it's described in the paragraph, you might be going too far with it in the pre-island stages, but if you concentrate the planned insanity into the opening days on the island, I could see it being quite compelling. Personally, I'd concentrate on the growing feelings of dissociation when at the high school - basically lay the groundwork for her being unable to relate to anybody who isn't as rich as her, or indeed much of anybody in particular. Dropping subtle hints about how much she feels like a robot lately is a whole lot better than throwing in a "He looks like the kind of person I'd like to stab, but wait, that wouldn't be polite" kind of thing, is what I'm saying.
V5 concepts:
     Re-upping in LSMFT

Lovely pics

In other news...

Cash Money
Member Avatar
Come on and slam
[ *  * ]
Alright, I've revised/redone my concepts.

Randall Cimora's original writeup can be found here. I've added an overriding motivation to various aspects of him though: his experience in middle school. His middle school fed directly into a high school with one of the best football programs in the state, and his introverted nature and lack of physical aptitude left him feeling disconnected from the athletics-centered culture at school. He reacted against those with whom he couldn't blend in by growing out his hair and wearing baggy clothes, and the reason he picked tennis as his exercise of choice was because it was the least macho sport he could think of. I still need to think of a reason why he moved to Seattle.

Milo Richter has changed quite a lot; his original writeup can be found here (same post as before). He's still a short, overbearing wannabe businessman, but he's no longer quite so fidgety (though that is still there in some form). He's from a family with a lot of money, with his father in particular being an executive at a large company with its headquarters nearby.

His father has had a big influence on his life. He's a perfectionist because his father emphasized getting things "right" while forgetting to mention the value of making mistakes. He has no idea how much his family actually makes because they repeatedly tell him of their hard work and struggle while living below their means. Most importantly, he idolizes his father over his supposedly hard-won success. He isn't aware, however, that that success came more as a result of ruthless backstabbing than anything else - in an alternate lifetime, his father could have been the very image of an unrepentant 1-percenter financial fat cat, and in another alternate lifetime, his lack of empathy might have marked him as a pre-made player to the moderators of this very site.

Milo's attempts to pick up on his father's seemingly preternatural ability to wheel and deal often backfire because he just doesn't have the combination of magnetic personality and moral flexibility that's needed for his particular brand of interaction to work. He's not a charming asshole so much as he's just an asshole, and his friends are usually split evenly between fellow assholes and those who haven't found his used car salesman act grating just yet.

Leah Chapel used to be found here, but she's almost entirely different now, so that link's there mostly for historical reference. She's no longer a former rebel; rather, she is still a rebel, and a poor delinquent rebel at that. Her older sister's the favorite because she was nearly the exact opposite of Leah. Where her sister could do no wrong, Leah could hardly do any right, and she's gotten to suspecting she was an accident all along.

Since she rarely felt welcome at home, she ended up falling in with The Girls of Rainier Valley. She's involved with a lot of their activities, though she goes to great lengths to hide the evidence so she doesn't catch hell from her parents. Her clothes are accordingly as clean as she can manage, though still below par by most of society's standards. Her mom in particular disapproves highly of her friends, being a policeman's daughter.

Her low status and income have contributed to her being one of the worse students at school; her academic pursuits are token efforts to please her parents rather than truly trying to succeed, and her general outlook on life is rather pessimistic. She does harbor a bit of a fascination with glitz and glamour, but she considers it an escape that she'll never be able to touch.

Thoughts?

Also, Little, I want to see Nolan!
V5 concepts:
     Re-upping in LSMFT

Lovely pics

In other news...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply