Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,158 Views)
Sophie
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Hey! I have one rough concept for V5, which I will flesh out. I'm hoping to make some really well rounded characters so let loose with the criticism and things. I'll be sure to start posting constructive critiques very soon.

This is mainly her current personality - I have yet to detail the backgrounds and physical stuff. Sorry if it's disjointed : P

________

Terra-Fiona Vandegrift
The Obsessive Neurotic Ruminator

Basically Terra is a girl terrified of making mistakes and believes in well thought out reactions to every situation. She is painfully self-aware of everything she is, does and will do and as a result is willing to really think things out. Really think things out. Her family has a history of severe neuroticism and depression as well as an unfortunate distrust towards psychiatrists and psychologists (will elaborate on reason).

Terra is an obsessive habitual ruminator, meaning she thinks and reads too much into everything. She responds to distress by repetitively focusing on the possible causes and possible symptoms of the distress, then thinking about all the possible ways to solve the distress and the solution's possible consequences, then long term consequences, then focusing on her faults and their effects on the solution and a couple dozen other factors.

She focuses too much on her problems then does very little to actually solve them. She draws out a lot of plans organizing her life, little realizing that in the process of drawing these plans she does nothing to realize them. She keeps logbooks on her friends, noting all their quirks, but spends little time actually interacting with them. She ponders on the content of conversations, finding hidden meanings (real and imagined, mostly imagined) in long past interactions and throwaway remarks. She overanalyzes situations and thus is very, very prone to negative assertions of current conditions, resulting in her trying to find new solutions which lead her to think some more. She is very reluctant to take quick decisions and then she is prone to taking apart these quick decisions and thinking what could've been.

In short, she thinks too much and does too little.

Her thoughts are mostly introspective in nature. Obsessively so. She ponders on the nature of her existence, the nature of her actions, the nature of her faults and perceived advantages over others (which she deconstructs). As a result, she has a raging inferiority complex and is paralyzed by self-doubt. She overstates her disadvantages and think her edge over people would only lead to more problems. She constantly frets about one thing or another - if the thing she frets about is over, she will rapidly move on to another object of worry, however trivial. Though this prepares her somewhat for her ruminative tendencies, she is ofttimes depressed because of the endless worrying.

Terra is passively self-obsessed. Though she may ponder on other people's problems, she only does this in relation to herself. She has little experience caring about other people's problems and tends to discount them in favor of her own things. Though she is basically good-natured, this quality is obfuscated by her many, many worries.

She has few acquaintances who befriend her mostly out of pity or a weird attraction to her quirks. The nature of her interactions reflect her attitudes - she thinks, talks, over-thinks about the thing just talked and mutes as she considers the next course of action. She is very timid and quickly apologizes or shuts up if she thinks she has said the wrong thing. Her body language recalls comparisons with robots stuck in the uncanny valley, hesitating at every step and stopping at odd intervals.

Very shut in, others consider her attitude as a sign that she doesn't want anybody close to her, or signs that she is an ineffectual loner. Indeed, Terra is afraid of intimacy thinking that getting too close to someone would result in her mistakes being found, but she desires a companion to share her excessive worries and one who will act as a sounding board for her planning decisions. Somehow, someone who knows her problems but isn't close enough to pry her secrets. She feels desperately lonely and neglected by her friends' reluctance to interact with her (when in reality they are accommodating her quirks) and constantly ponders on just why her friends treat her like this, leading to hits on self-esteem and further inaction.

As a result of this alienation, she mainly confides her worries to herself. She talks constantly to herself, creating other versions of herself to talk to (she calls this 'being in company with myself') so she can practice conversations without worry of mistakes - this being the only outlet from the constant worry. Actually she has managed to create an imaginary persona, an imaginary friend of sorts as a relief from her constant self-inflicted tension and loneliness. She constructs avatars of her friends with help of her logbook - these she talks and plays with. This is however a bare-bones substitute for actual interaction, and she occasionally has crying spells when she desperately desires someone actual to talk to and/or to comfort her. The fact is that Terra doesn't want to be lonely but can't find a way to have friends without exposing herself to more worries... or so she thinks. As always, she is too conflicted to really find out.

Her worries are self-perpetuating and needs little object or incentive. Even when there's nothing at stake and no risk of making mistakes, she always finds a reason to worry, to fret, to obsessively go over plans and change them incessantly. If she doesn't do this, she worries even more. She is trapped in a self-inflicted Catch-22 paradox.

________

Also @ Lord_Shadow, I recommend you be a bit careful about enjoying the manic part of the manic-depressive spectrum. It consists mainly of thinking up impossible goals (like making everyone love each other) and running out of vigor plus a short attention span and the disappointment that follows. Just saying, that's what my version felt like :P
Edited by Sophie, Jul 3 2011, 09:44 AM.

|V5 Concepts! W00T Click to see and critique!|
|| Terra-Fiona Vandegrift -> Obsessive Neurotic Ruminator ||

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sophie
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
DocBalance
Jul 1 2011, 11:03 AM
Hmm, I must confess that I didn't know there were multiple levels of it. I only know one person who has it, and he has it fairly strongly, but if there are varying levels of it then that would solve the problem rather easily.
I heard in severe cases it could mess up basic sense perceptions of anything. Sight could be perceived as sound, sound as touch etc.

EDIT : I apologize if I came off as rather insensitive or dumb. I also didn't cite my sources for this claim, which were :

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:NkKxz5XlAokJ:citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.22.327%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf+synaesthesia+perception+scramble&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgCMM-BhmC8z-S9Wl7jLSUQ0i_0OImESv3wgi9DGPJegKfyfnkxyaiHqmVguBrwVmKnpM2aUyRFO8Q80LjtfjZiR1y8J1wOTGML1fmWKEjHHe4RLKSoxT-2wZO_i1lC2_sJQGGr&sig=AHIEtbTm_gVsRJ_dL_D-GgEjg7pVPRWwWA

(An introduction of sorts into Synaesthesia)

http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/detail.aspx?id=23504

http://dept.wofford.edu/neuroscience/NeuroSeminar/pdfFall2010/RichMattingley_NatureReviewNeuro_synesthesia.pdf

(goes into more detail into symptoms and the neurological perspective)
Edited by Sophie, Jul 3 2011, 05:22 PM.

Sophie
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Rocky
Jul 5 2011, 08:41 PM
New Concept time!

April Wattana - April is of mixed Japanese/Thai/Caucasian heritage, with her last name coming from her Thai grandfather. She is a very avid dancer, having taken dance lessons as a child until the age of 10. After she stopped taking lessons, she continued to teach herself to dance, borrowing bits and pieces from various styles of dance, though her overall style is very much based in Hip Hop and Breaking. At around age 14 she began to do street performances, either solo or with another group of dancers. She is locally known for being a skilled dancer, though she has yet to experience any significant recognition beyond this.

April is also a political activist, and uses what little money she makes dancing to help fund rallies and protests in the city. She also writes a blog and occasionally uploads videos onto youtube stating her thoughts and opinions on various things. Neither are overly successful, with only a small handful of dedicated followers, generally her friends.
---

Okay, so now that that's over with, I'm looking for a few things to go with this character. Namely, a small group of people (no more than 3-4) to form a dance crew with April. They probably won't be doing much actual dancing in pregame, but they would probably be fairly close friends with each other. On the flip side, she'd also need some friends on the activist side of her life, who she can plan and organize rallies and whatnot with. Also some enemies in both the dance and activism scenes would be interesting as well.
Let's start this backwards! I'm just giving all the input I can. Mostly ideas, really.

April Wattana. First one that strikes me is her ethnicity. That's going to be a major factor in her personality, with her mixed culture coming from several sides. Finding identity is going to be hard.

The dancing part. I'm assuming that you want to add more to this background, explain how she got started into dancing and specifically the preferences. Why modern dance? Was she born in an urban environment where it was everywhere around her? I'm assuming this because she is able to find a receptive audience, but you might want to flesh that out more. Maybe you also want to flesh out the dance styles? Hip-hop is pretty diverse - or maybe you can, given her mixed learning, give a list of major influences. Is she a fad-dancer? Or does she stay true to a particular style?

Hip-hop could influence her personality majorly too. People who appreciate hip-hop tend to be from various minority subcultures (though not precluding mainstream cultures either) and that could majorly inform her way of viewing the world. I can see a mix of influences and her own ethnicity involved too.

Maybe you could link the dancing with the activism. That would be plausible, seeing how hip-hop music and dancing is at least considered to be sitting on the line and 'cool' in a subversive kind of way - not to mention the crowd. Maybe she could use her dance troupe itself as a form of activism - a la the Cuecas from Chile. Also, what does she agitate for? This is a pretty important detail.

I think April is a really interesting character to flesh out with her activism, her dancing and her ethnicity : D She could really become colorful.

Edited by Sophie, Jul 8 2011, 03:57 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply