Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V5 Concepts Thread; Let 'em loose here
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 04:08 PM (28,768 Views)
Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Well, one of the ideas that has been circulating my mind for V5 is this:

1) Manuel Martínez (based partly on myself): An exchange student from Spain who only has been two months in the United States when he is kidnapped on the trip. He used to live on the Canary Islands until he moved to America, so he is quite thrilled to see how big the world actually is. He is friendly, easy-going, speaks gratitious Spanish whenever he can, is very proud of his Canarian heritage (maybe one of his posts will involve him going crazy and hallucinating that he sees the Pagan gods that were worshipped on the island as of ancient), and soft-spoken.
2) Gary Hannover: A German-American boy, who is a martial arts expert. He is a practicing Buddhist. He has made a vow to never take a life. He has tried mastering with his teacher a technique to try and lower his heartbeat so his rivals think he is dead and then re-activate it after one minute has passed (and, yeah, as you have guessed, this feature could be used to try and make an escape attempt, I would like to have him stopping his heart, then reanimated by another character of his party, and then going all "Liz Polanski" on Danya´s ass...).

So, what do you think of them? :P Too ambitious, maybe?
Spoiler: click to toggle

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Outfoxd
May 31 2011, 09:47 AM
Nadir

As a practicing martial artist and full-time martial skeptic, that idea doesn't sit well with me. That ability doesn't seem like something you'd see in the world, especially for a teenager, and the character seems a little too reminiscent of kung-fu movie protagonists. Not saying martial artists are bad, but you might wanna work with that one.
Oh, well, I knew it sounded too unrealistic :( However, I can have him trying it and then dying because of it. Sounds like a good death scene. Actually I think I should re-model the character of Gary a little bit. Maybe strip all the "martial artist" part. I don´t think I can keep up with it. Anyway, around which age do you think the characters of V5 are gonna be? Because it seems that Danya keeps kidnapping progressively older and older classes each version. I mean, the kids of V1 and V2 were mostly fifteen or sixteen years old (or, in some cases, like Damien, thirteen and half...), but most of the folks on V4 are eighteen or even nineteen. It wouldn´t surprise me that one day Danya kidnapped a class full of university students.

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
I´ve got another one:

Lionel Fox: A high school student who is into psychology (specially social and group psychology, which has led him to make research about SOTF, becoming some sort of walking encyclopedia about the show). He knows Jacob Hunt (the cousin of Steven Hunt), they met when Lionel entered into an online support group for the families of those deceased in the show. They have met a couple of times in person. Through Jacob, and his own intuition, Lionel suspects that the game is based on lies and misconceptions, and that probably it cannot work as flawlessly as the terrorists seem to put it. However, it is just an educated guess, not something he knows for sure.

Aaaron Hannover (not related in anyway to my former character concept, Gary Hannover): This guy, I plan for him to be my first villain. In some parallel of the best "Riz" and Maxwell Lombardi tradition, I hope for him to start the game without wanting to play, only to change his mind at an early time and decide to kill some of the bastards who he dislikes at his school.

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
I´ve got one big, new, flashy character concept:

Marvin "Marcia" Rossworth: Although her legal name is Marvin, she prefers to be called "Marcia" by her friends. She came out as transexual in his mid-teens, and, in the last year, has started to transition from a male to a female role. She has been taking female hormones, has been letting her hair grow. She has been starting to, slowly, with the help of her psychiatrist, turn into a woman. She wears dresses that are somewhat provocative. When she came out as transexual, her best (male) friend broke all ties with her, disgusted. She is bisexual and has slept with both guys and girls, but apparently prefers the former. If the high school lets her go to prom as a woman, then she will go as the most beautiful chick in the planet.

Now, I dunno if someone has done a transexual character before, but it is a concept I really want to try, and I think that I know enough transexual people (both MtF and FtM), and have read enough about the topic to make it somewhat realistic. I dunno, do you have any ideas that I could use? Kisses and cheers.

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Namira
Jun 15 2011, 09:44 AM
^ When the time comes up, I'm going to critique that profile personally.

Consider your writing very carefully.
I will do the best that I can. I know it is risky to make one of my first character concepts ever something that has never been tried before, but I will try to make my research of topics related to the character. That being said, she will have many more characteristics that will distinguish her from her classmates apart than being transexual and bisexual. While she will be dealing with her body image and sexuality, this will be only a part of her posts. I will try to make a complete character. Just as the same thing a homosexual character´s story main topic is not his sexuality, Marcia´s story main topic is not going to be her bisexuality. However, the transgenderism aspect is somewhat more complicated to handle. I will have to explore lots of TG fiction to try and identify with her mindset.

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Sister Grimm
Jun 15 2011, 09:22 PM
Geez, and here I thought I was being original. Weeeeell, thing is, I got the idea from Naoto, ala Persona 4. Sort of.
Well, maybe we can have a scene of him (Alex) and Marcia meeting up with each other randomly in one of the pre-game posts. It would be interesting seeing them interact. As Alex is presumably a transfer that has arrived shortly at school, Marcia would not know that he is biologically female, but she could suspect something. Anyway, we could have them talking, and then Alex asking her about her transition, seemingly just for curiosity (when in reality he would like to know how it is like to change one´s gender).

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
karsk
Jun 15 2011, 10:43 PM
along with my agreement with the two lovely gents above me, i wanna throw in this fantastic article courtney showed me: http://www.calpernia.com/transsexual-cliches-and-stereotypes-in-media-2/

if you are considering a trans* character, read it
Thanks for the article :) This way we should know more or less what we should avoid to make the story more realistic.

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Allright, I am gonna post here the new four character concepts which I have made (they are mainly based on people I know and on my sister, but since many people have advised me to write someone I know, I just decided to do that...). Well, here they are:

Manuel "Manu" Martinez: A science-fiction and fantasy film geek (and a moderate SOTF fan), he had an accident last year that led him to miss his final exams, so he got hold back a year and now it´s on the same grade as his little sister and most of his friends (he is quite the childish character, so he always has connected more with people younger than him, rather than those with his own age). The accident left as a consequence a somewhat noticeable limp in his felt leg, which he struggles with almost daily. His best friends are Daniel and Eva, but he has some more across the school. He could be described as a "class clown", he is quite the jokester. The few times he gets laid, it is because the other person is either drunk/high off his/her ass, or because for once, he manages to be charming and not a bumbling fool. He lives with mis mother (his parents are divorced), and with his younger sister Andrea (with whom he is not very close, despite the fact that they live door-to-door of the other). However, his parents are on friendly terms, and he visits time to time. His father is Cuban and his mother is Uruguayan.

Daniel "Dani" Fernandez: A Spanish (from the Canary Islands, more exactly) student that arrived to the USA two years ago, he lives with his aunt and his cousins. His father died of cancer when he was fifteen (two years ago), and his mother is diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, and regularly goes off her medication, which makes her somewhat unfit for taking care of him. He is strongly agains the use of illegal drugs (one of the reasons his mother´s condition worsened was the fact that she used to take them when she was young). Before moving to the USA, he lived with both his mother and his maternal grandmother. He is quite atractive (some people would say that he is even somewhat androgynous), and there are quite a few girls at school who have their eyes on him. However, he is happily having a frienf-with-benefits relationship with Eva Sans. He is a technical, computer and mechanical genius, knowing almost instinctively how things work. He remembers being a kid and dismantling the toaster and several home appliances, just to see their insides and what made them tick. Eva and Manu are his closest friends, although he has many others (his expertise with electronics leading several people to ask him for help when something goes wrong with their computer, for example). He is a big SOTF fan, having seem several times all the seasons that had been broadcasted.

Eva Sans: A girl of Mexican descent and a relative newcomer to the school. She looks exactly the opposite that someone would expect from her background: white, almost chalky skin, brown eyes, Caucasian looks, dark, short hair. She tends to dress up in Gothic fashion. She lies mostly horror and fantasy films. Her father died when she was very young, he was a politician that fell into alcoholism and died of a heart attack when she was barely a toddler. Her mother is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The fact that they have similar hobbies, and that they both have similar family issues, made her find a kindred spirit in Dani. They had been on a somewhat "special" relationship from around six months, as of now. Eva would put it as "more than friends, less than partners".

Andrea "Andre/Andy" Martinez: Manuel´s younger sister. She is very much the opposite of her brother. While he is bookish, timid and relies on laughter to make himself more appealing to people, Andrea is a hardcore partying girl. Black hair, dark eyes, pierced nose, and a no-nonsense attitude, she is a natural leader, and never afraid to speak her mind. One of the few things she and her brother have in common is the fact that they both always are brutally honest, to the point of not caring about the feelings of others who may be hurt. She smokes, and sometimes likes to play the victim with people she can manipulate around. However, deep inside, she has morals.

Nadir
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Namira
Sep 7 2011, 04:29 PM
The cap is almost certain to be three-per-handler.
Allright, then I´ll drop Eva, unless there is someone else who wants to use her concept to create their own character.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · V5 Pregame Planning · Next Topic »
Add Reply